Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lolie posted:

At some point progressives need to realise that just because someone shares one characteristic by which you define yourself, doesn't mean they share your political ideology. Ironically, there's a lot of support for truly horrendous progressive poster children but being a Christian Republican is a bridge too far for many.

Then again, Jenner has no obligation to be the perfect poster child, role model or spokesperson for trans people in general.

No she doesn't have to be perfect but she's a classic "got mine, gently caress you" conservative.

She gets to live free and gets to make the choices that will make her happy but gently caress if other people get to. I don't see why it's not okay to think that's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Apparently loitering in D&D buying shame avatars for critics (see to the left, I literally made 3 brief posts and they already went ahead and spent the :10bux: to try to tarnish me) and convincing mods that the thread should be their own personal sandbox. idk was only probated for a day, compared to afeelgoodpoop's ban mine was nothing, but its the effort that counts.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Robo Reagan posted:

remember when south park was about farts and kenny dying now its like watching a live action tumblr or something

remember the day before every facet of our lives got politicized

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Runaktla posted:

holy moly quoting a fish dicksucking image/vid posted by someone else (deleted since but I know which one it is) got you a ban... they are a bunch of tossers and sheep shaggers

almost like mods are bad or something

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

What do you mean politicize? Don't you know there are REAL PEOPLE out there that can't participate in politics at all? What do you say to them, HUH? You PC or not, bra?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Runaktla posted:

Apparently loitering in D&D buying shame avatars for critics (see to the left, I literally made 3 brief posts and they already went ahead and spent the :10bux: to try to tarnish me) and convincing mods that the thread should be their own personal sandbox. idk was only probated for a day, compared to afeelgoodpoop's ban mine was nothing, but its the effort that counts.

Be sure not to offend the moderators of the perpetually offended echo chamber next time!

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

POWERBALL posted:

maybe this will help you understand that gender identity and birth sex are different

why are man and woman not gender expression options? why is it butch and femme? they're genders, not discarded team rocket names

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

mdm posted:

how do they censor criticism? I've been trying to improve my censorship skills I'm wondering what you know about their tactics

Drowning it out with outrage and distraction. It's as old a tactic as bluffing in Chimpanzees.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

My Q-Face posted:

Drowning it out with outrage and distraction. It's as old a tactic as bluffing in Chimpanzees.

I'm not sure that's what censorship means :confused:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Runaktla posted:

Tsch... When I started out posting here, I pointed out that people of any given position can pull statistics out of thin air and twist them to support their position. I was rewarded with a big flashing shut up and "statistics and other things can be pulled out of my rear end" red title.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Runaktla posted:

Careful, trannys/pannys/whatever he/she/xhe/dicksuck/pussyhavinnothavin/oh god I need my own personal pronouns DON'T CALL ME HE I'M NOT A HE ANYMORE CAN'T YOU BE SENSITIVE TO ME!!!! get pretty upset... this post...

Please be nice to Runaktla, she deserves the utmost respect. She is displaying classic signs of gender dysphoria, and may consider puberty retardant so as not to grow in the wrong gender. Sounds like you're going through a lot of pain?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

spacemang_spliff posted:

No she doesn't have to be perfect but she's a classic "got mine, gently caress you" conservative.

She gets to live free and gets to make the choices that will make her happy but gently caress if other people get to. I don't see why it's not okay to think that's bad.

You can think that's bad, but you can't argue on the one hand that everyone should be able to do trans their own way rather than conforming to some external notion of what trans *should* be and then criticise Jenner for doing exactly that.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike Jenner, not the least of which is the attention-whoring, but lets not forget that "stealth" isn't an option here and that plenty of people for whom it is an option bow out of any kind of activism the moment they've successfully established a new identity.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

mdm posted:

I'm not sure that's what censorship means :confused:

Yeah it is, it's no different than screaming "shut up! shut up! shut up!" at somebody who is trying to talk. Boycotting, threatening, firing and ostracizing someone for expressing (not acting on) an opinion, even if you don't actually stop them from expressing it, is exactly what censorship is.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

POWERBALL posted:

No, you still use she because she was always a woman, even if she presented male at the time.

I think that should be up to her preference.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

My Q-Face posted:

Tsch... When I started out posting here, I pointed out that people of any given position can pull statistics out of thin air and twist them to support their position. I was rewarded with a big flashing shut up and "statistics and other things can be pulled out of my rear end" red title.

Somebody call the ACLU.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

9-10-2001 :911:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

circ dick soleil posted:

Somebody call the ACLU.

:supaburn:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

the best part about the pronoun poo poo is that several centuries from now, paleontologists of the future digging through the ashes of the old world will stumble on jenner and it'll be like

ahmed chang de la roja: what'd you find?

olga westham tokai: looks like a white male, 70s. athletic build.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah it is, it's no different than screaming "shut up! shut up! shut up!" at somebody who is trying to talk. Boycotting, threatening, firing and ostracizing someone for expressing (not acting on) an opinion, even if you don't actually stop them from expressing it, is exactly what censorship is.

Unless one is expressing their biased opinion as fact.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I just want to put my dick in a color spectrum.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

POWERBALL posted:

maybe this will help you understand that gender identity and birth sex are different

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Junkfist posted:

I just want to put my dick in a color spectrum.

I'm sorry, but all penetrative sex is rape now. Didn't you get the memo, are you even PC breh?!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

MageMage posted:

Unless one is expressing their biased opinion as fact.

Haha, no. It's still up to the receiver to make that determination for themselves.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lolie posted:

You can think that's bad, but you can't argue on the one hand that everyone should be able to do trans their own way rather than conforming to some external notion of what trans *should* be and then criticise Jenner for doing exactly that.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike Jenner, not the least of which is the attention-whoring, but lets not forget that "stealth" isn't an option here and that plenty of people for whom it is an option bow out of any kind of activism the moment they've successfully established a new identity.

If someone grows up poor and doesn't starve because they got food stamps or welfare, and gets to go to college on grants and then later, when that person is wealthy says "welfare and food stamps and college grants just encourage poors to be lazy and should be eliminated" that person is an rear end in a top hat and I don't feel bad calling that person a piece of poo poo.

Caitlyn Jenner is that person. I'm not saying she has to be trans a certain way. I'm saying she should not be a selfish rear end in a top hat.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

My Q-Face posted:

My garbage man is clearly a neo nazi I demand he be fired

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think caitlyn jenner is brave or a hero

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

If someone grows up poor and doesn't starve because they got food stamps or welfare, and gets to go to college on grants and then later, when that person is wealthy says "welfare and food stamps and college grants just encourage poors to be lazy and should be eliminated" that person is an rear end in a top hat and I don't feel bad calling that person a piece of poo poo.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Coach sucked anyway

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

ColoradoCleric posted:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

The Internet.. makes you.. stupid?

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

Ork of Fiction posted:

The Internet.. makes you.. stupid?

Ableist!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Aside from gender dysphoria, are there any other diagnoses whereby the course of treatment involves everyone else affirming the dysphoria and abiding by it?

Like I'm imagining an elderly person with paranoid dementia, and the recommended treatment is to validate their belief that their long-dead spouse hid their medication.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ColoradoCleric posted:

MODS

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

unlimited shrimp posted:

Aside from gender dysphoria, are there any other diagnoses whereby the course of treatment involves everyone else affirming the dysphoria and abiding by it?

Like I'm imagining an elderly person with paranoid dementia, and the recommended treatment is to validate their belief that their long-dead spouse hid their medication.

It's a lifelong kind of thing that doesn't really have an onset or an offset. Better to encourage self sterilization, to keep the hormone-sensitivity defect out of the gene pool.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

unlimited shrimp posted:

They have nursing homes with pretend bus stops and poo poo. But the sane people who work there all know that no actual bus is going to show up and the people waiting are crazy.

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

Ork of Fiction posted:

It's a lifelong kind of thing that doesn't really have an onset or an offset. Better to encourage self sterilization, to keep the hormone-sensitivity defect out of the gene pool.

CthulhuBill posted:

I had mine done when I was 20. Amusingly enough my doctor wouldn't perform the surgery until I got my mother to call him and reassure that I had no plans to ever have children. The operation was short, and only, mildly painful. I had the hemostat method, which, as quoted "Uses sharp hemostats (clamps) to pull the vas deferens through a single, small hole in the scrotum, allowing them to be cut and cauterized outside the body, then put back in."

They let me watch while they performed it. It did hurt, the initial incision as mostly painless. Once he poked his finger through the hole and fished out the little white tubes I had a pretty horrible gut churning kind of pulling feeling. He yanked the little tubes out, clamped them, removed a large section from the middle and cauterized the two ends.

Recovery was fairly quick. Honestly the annoyance from having my testicular hair grow back after shaving my scrotum for the first time was worse then the pain.

It cost me about 350 dollars cash.

I do have the occasional ache, which I know is related to the surgery as it is a very distinct feeling, and is exactly the same. It's not too bad though and I just ignore it honestly. I am am 29 now and still completely happy with my decision.

I did ask to keep the little tubes he removed from me, hoping to put them in a small jar and have around as a keepsake, however due to medical waste laws this was not allowed. That was probably the most disappointing part.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563410

I had my vasectomy at 13 :smug:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

POWERBALL posted:

Here, right here, is why people are so loving annoyed. You don't need to come up with a million spectrum of labels and poo poo and get really mad about using said labels. This is loving stupid and I'm sure one day we'll back and say this is loving stupid.

The push I'm surprised isn't happening, instead, is just to push against gender-specific language at all. 99% of the time there is literally no reason that I should say "He said" or "She said," because if I'm discussing a, say, a used car - what the hell difference does it make? If anything other than trying to shove 50 new labels down everyone's throat, they'd make a lot more progress trying to downplay labels entirely. If there's no labels, people stop "categorizing" in their heads.

In a world where labels are cut back and all but eliminated, nobody will give a poo poo what you do with your junk. Your gender shouldn't define your whole identity, that's what's being lost on these people. There is way too much obsession over it. Long story short they'd get more milage towards their cause if they even got rid of existing labels and just put everyone in a "people" category; let you bang who you want to bang past that and stop turning it into the central point of everyone's lives.

My Q-Face posted:

GBS 1.0 never went away, it just moved next door

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 18, 2015

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Naerasa posted:

why are man and woman not gender expression options? why is it butch and femme? they're genders, not discarded team rocket names
Because a man can be really femme and still 100% identify as male. It's about your clothing, your haircut, whether you wear makeup, and possibly other things like mannerisms. Ellen Degeneres is "soft butch," Portia de Rossi is femme. The chart is still dumb though.

Lolie posted:

Then again, Jenner has no obligation to be the perfect poster child, role model or spokesperson for trans people in general.
Actually she's a spokesperson whether she likes it or not, because she chose to do a reality show based around her gender and is probably the highest profile trans person in the US.

Is she aware that all her marriages have been gay marriages?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
stopped reading the chart after it claimed that inception was so intellectually dense as to go over people's heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

ElectricSheep posted:

stopped reading the chart after it claimed that inception was so intellectually dense as to go over people's heads

I think you underestimate just how stupid most people are

• Locked thread