Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I'm not asking for your favorite episode, I'm asking for what is objectively the best episode of The Twilight Zone.

My answer is The Monsters are Due on Maple Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I dont know i dont really remember ever watching it sicne its so old and im a millenial

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nooner posted:

I dont know i dont really remember ever watching it sicne its so old and im a millenial

k

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I don't remember the plot very well but some sort of terrible irony was involved.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I think i saw one when i was little where like the mannequins in a department store like came to life or something, or maybe just one of them did?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nooner posted:

I think i saw one when i was little where like the mannequins in a department store like came to life or something, or maybe just one of them did?

that was Dr. Who, dummy

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I only remember a few but I liked them all just about the same. The writing was always good, I'm sure there were some bad episodes but I don't remember. The mannequin episode where each mannequin gets to be a normal person one day out of the year and the pocket watch that stopped time were especially good.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

that was Dr. Who, dummy

oh yeah well than what is that guy above me talking about thne, JERK!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
there was the one where they're playing a game of football but one of the players looks down and he's holding a baseball and he's like huh and it turns out he'd been playing baseball the whole time

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nooner posted:

oh yeah well than what is that guy above me talking about thne, JERK!

I thought you were talking about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9HCzAXoDI8

Sorry Nooner

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.
The airplane one scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

People like that Burgess Meredith one.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

jiharlequinade posted:

People like that Burgess Meredith one.

That one ruins my day if I watch it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

The one where three astronauts crash onto an alien world and they're radio is busted so they're stranded. They eventually go crazy and the last one walks over a hill and sees a sign that says "Reno, 5 miles"

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i like "Welcome to Winfield", "The Convict's Piano", and "Shelter Skelter"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i like "Welcome to Winfield", "The Convict's Piano", and "Shelter Skelter"

Explain why, please.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Explain why, please.

idk dude theyre cool and also from 80s twilight zone which no one talks about

i forgot about the button one with the button to get money but kill someone

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

That one ruins my day if I watch it

Having that kind of an effect does speak to its quality.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

hello boils and goons, what are everyones graveorite deadisodes of tales from the crypt

i like the one w/ christopher reeves cannibal diner and also the one with ben stein and the simpsons guy stealing souls

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

jiharlequinade posted:

Having that kind of an effect does speak to its quality.

:agreed:

Also, feel free to talk about the following shows:
The Twilight Zone
The 80s Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits
The 90s Outer limits
Amazing Stories
Monsters
Tales From the Crypt

Let's make this an episodic scifi show thread in light of my lovely op.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

The one where tiny aliens land in an old woman's attic and chase her around with miniature rayguns.

https://youtu.be/n99iNW9595o

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Monsters on Maple Street is a very solid episode that nicely hits all the hallmarks of 60s sci-fi. I don't think it's my favorite though, I'll have to think about which one that would be.

I think one of my least favorites is the one where some people see a UFO and all hide in a roadside diner, and they conclude somehow that one of them must be secretly a martian(?), but SPOILERS the martian is actually the soda jerk working at the diner. The paranoia idea is a good one well-suited to Twilight Zone (see also Monsters Are Due On Maple Street!) but it's really obvious that they are ignoring the one other character, and that's if the premise of "one of you MUST be an alien!" even made sense in the first place. Good idea, awful execution.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crash_N_Burn posted:

The one where tiny aliens land in an old woman's attic and chase her around with miniature rayguns.

https://youtu.be/n99iNW9595o

I like this one a lot too, even if it's mostly for the gimmick of (nearly) no spoken dialog. I really like when shows try occasional high-concept episodes.

That reminds me, there was one where a bumbling janitor activates a time machine and the episode suddenly becomes a silent movie with title cards for all the dialog. Great gimmick, but the episode was mostly a slapstick comedy iirc.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ralp posted:

Monsters on Maple Street is a very solid episode that nicely hits all the hallmarks of 60s sci-fi. I don't think it's my favorite though, I'll have to think about which one that would be.

I think one of my least favorites is the one where some people see a UFO and all hide in a roadside diner, and they conclude somehow that one of them must be secretly a martian(?), but SPOILERS the martian is actually the soda jerk working at the diner. The paranoia idea is a good one well-suited to Twilight Zone (see also Monsters Are Due On Maple Street!) but it's really obvious that they are ignoring the one other character, and that's if the premise of "one of you MUST be an alien!" even made sense in the first place. Good idea, awful execution.

I thought the driver was the martian and the soda jerk was a venusian?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
started working my way through the 80s one, i'd say the one where that lady freezes time was pretty good. had a pretty off the wall ending.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
the one where a man goes on a train and weird things happen!!! and the plastic surgery clones episode.

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The Twilight Zone
The 80s Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits
The 90s Outer limits
Amazing Stories
Monsters
Tales From the Crypt

In the 90's Outer Limits there are two episodes that come to my mind. Trial by Fire, and The Light Brigade.

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer
The one where things don't go quite according to plan...

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
I like the one where they found out that somebody HAD killed Hitler, only to take his place, and that the real Hitler was actually a pretty decent guy

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

I thought the driver was the martian and the soda jerk was a venusian?

Oh hmm, that rings a bell. I might be wrong about everything.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Amazing Stories

Was it an Amazing Stories episode that had Sherman Hemsley as a schoolteacher who gets challenged by the Devil to give him a task he can't accomplish? I liked that episode. Granted, I was like 9 or something.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

^^ that's I of Newton

Original series: The Howling Man (Satan is locked up in a monastery); The Invaders (mute woman attacked by spacemen); The Masks (dying rich guy deals with his greedy family).

80s version: The Shadow Man (boogeyman lives under a kid's bed and fucks everyone's poo poo up), A Small Talent for War (aliens threaten to destroy earth unless mankind can get its poo poo together), I of Newton (a mathematician has to outwit a demon to save his soul)

Those last two are under 10 minutes each and are among the best parts of the 80s series IMHO.

Kuato posted:

started working my way through the 80s one, i'd say the one where that lady freezes time was pretty good. had a pretty off the wall ending.

A Little Peace and Quiet, that one's good too.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Talking Tina because, who loves ya baby

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ralp posted:

Oh hmm, that rings a bell. I might be wrong about everything.

You might have it right, I just remember the ending being "lol at humans" and then other guy goes "yeah they are dumb, almost as dumb as the jerks from your planet".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHomWdiXch0
Here's the ending

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The Twilight Zone
The 80s Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits
The 90s Outer limits
Amazing Stories
Monsters
Tales From the Crypt

the outer limits episodes where a woman transforms back into an alien was cool. also the one where usa nukes an ufo when everyone else tries to negotiate and the aliens wipe america away

the best original twilight zone episode were the four eyes trying to read books and how to serve man

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The one with the creepy kid who could send people to the cornfield with his mind.

Also I wish the 80's series would be available on Netflix or Hulu or something. I have the 2003 UPN series on DVD, and you can find the original everywhere, but not that drat 80's series.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
All the Burgess Meredith ones.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
The one where the guy is put on death row but is trying to persuade everyone he is stuck in a repetitive dream

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
All the ones written by Richard Matheson and Charles Beaumont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Always had an affection for the lesser known William Shatner episode where they're in the diner with the little fortune telling machine and he becomes obsessed with it. He just goes from seemingly normal to batshit crazy so fast.

• Locked thread