Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Always had an affection for the lesser known William Shatner episode where they're in the diner with the little fortune telling machine and he becomes obsessed with it. He just goes from seemingly normal to batshit crazy so fast.

That is a good one

New page :ninja: Let's go with the plastic surgery one, where everyone is ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Let's go with the plastic surgery one, where everyone is hot

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
If I were to pick one, it'd be "Midnight Sun." That's the one where Earth is moving towards the sun and everyone is dying from the heat. In the end, it's revealed that it had all been a fevered dream of the main character, and Earth is actually moving away from the sun and everyone is freezing to death. Good poo poo.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

ChesterJT posted:

Always had an affection for the lesser known William Shatner episode where they're in the diner with the little fortune telling machine and he becomes obsessed with it. He just goes from seemingly normal to batshit crazy so fast.

Really great one everyone seems to forget. The fortune telling machine was always kind of eerie looking.

I like "The Silence." Loud braggart dude severs his vocal cords in order to win a high-money bet with a rich aristocrat who bets him he can't stay quiet for a year. Turns out the rich aristocrat was penniless and was only keeping up appearances, never thinking the guy would actually go through with and win the bet :spooky:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Retail Slave posted:

The one with the creepy kid who could send people to the cornfield with his mind.

Also I wish the 80's series would be available on Netflix or Hulu or something. I have the 2003 UPN series on DVD, and you can find the original everywhere, but not that drat 80's series.

I've started working my way through it, got off to a promising start but seems to be going off the rails. The DVDs are really bad quality, like vhs quality.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Kuato posted:

I've started working my way through it, got off to a promising start but seems to be going off the rails. The DVDs are really bad quality, like vhs quality.

:what:

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

To Serve Man.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

ajrosales posted:

To Serve Man.

aww gently caress, so good. Definitely heading to my local library tomorrow to pick up some seasons for some weekend binge watching (they have the complete series :dance:)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Okay, I am a complete Twilight Zone scrub, but I just watched the one with the mathematician and a devil, and hot drat. That is some seriously tight writing. Thank you kindly thread for the recommendations, currently watching 'To Serve Man'. Again, killer writing!

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

ajrosales posted:

To Serve Man.

yeah also cool song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJldXDWhpvA

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
you fucks it's the one where the guy turns into hitler and he says oh no im hitler

im literally hitler

Sperghetti
Apr 21, 2010

The best Twilight zone is the one where the old hunter drowns trying to save his dog and they go to purgatory and he refuses to go to heaven because the gatekeeper says dogs aren't allowed but it turns out it was just Lucifer trying to trick him and they DO get into heaven!

This episode makes me feel feelings which is a rare occurrence.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
The one where the retard kid could make stuff happen/appear by thinking about it. His mom died and he wanted her back and welp

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

I really like the episode called "Steel" with Lee Marvin as the manager of an old out of date boxing robot looking for one last good bout.

And I will say that when I saw the 80s Twilight episode "A Little Peace and Quiet" for the first time it was pretty goddamn scary with the ending. That was peak 80s cold war time.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sperghetti posted:

The best Twilight zone is the one where the old hunter drowns trying to save his dog and they go to purgatory and he refuses to go to heaven because the gatekeeper says dogs aren't allowed but it turns out it was just Lucifer trying to trick him and they DO get into heaven!

That was a good one.

And a good dog

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Why don't they put the hour episodes on Netflix?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Nthing the 80's peace and quiet one; I also had a soft spot for the one where the guy spends a year 'invisible' but can't bring himself to ignore the girl after his sentence is done.

William Shatner
May 11, 2005

Is today the day we will leave Ridgeview?

ChesterJT posted:

That's "Nick of Time" - one of my favorite Shatner meltdown episodes!

<-- Also my avatar!

Super ad filled HULU link to episode here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/440803

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Five Characters in Search of an Exit, it was like a Toy Story prequel.

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

The Obsolete Man because the ending is just fantastic. :getin:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't remember the plot very well but some sort of terrible irony was involved.

Mad Monk posted:

I only remember a few but I liked them all just about the same.

yeah that's the Twilight Zone effect. I've seen them all, some multiple times (granted, awhile ago) but I have a hard time remembering details. I mean some of the irony/twisty stuff like ITS A COOK BOOK, or the goony guy who survive an apocalypse and wants to read but then his glasses broke. Or the The Stop At Willowby (which is one of my favorite ones) where he's keeps finding himself in some kitschy small town and wants to go back so he jumps off the train and e: then dies, are all cool but you pretty much just remember the irony/twist.

I actually can't recall like 90% of the episodes though if someone mentions it it kind of comes back to you. I also remember Night Gallery loving owning but I can't remember a single episode :( I think I need to go rewatch all the Night Gallery and Twilight Zone episodes again. Rod Serling loving owns.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 17, 2015

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Five Characters in Search of an Exit, it was like a Toy Story prequel.

Yeah, I think that's definitely one of the great episodes. I'll suggest one that's completely different - A Stop at Willoughby.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I like "Nothing in the Dark" where a very young Robert Redford plays a kindly vision of Death. Three characters in the whole episode, one room, lots of deep stuff on loneliness and fear and death. Might come across as a bit trite to some people but it's actuall;y good.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mover posted:

I like "Nothing in the Dark" where a very young Robert Redford plays a kindly vision of Death. Three characters in the whole episode, one room, lots of deep stuff on loneliness and fear and death. Might come across as a bit trite to some people but it's actuall;y good.

I don't recall that at all. But that's cool, because it means there's an episode I get to watch for the first time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

oncearoundaltair posted:

I don't recall that at all. But that's cool, because it means there's an episode I get to watch for the first time.

if you haven't, watch Night Gallery too.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
the one where they were toys in a salvation army box was sad as poo poo iirc

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

if you haven't, watch Night Gallery too.

Noted. Although I'm sure for years it's been on my list of different stuff to watch/read/listen to.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

oncearoundaltair posted:

Yeah, I think that's definitely one of the great episodes. I'll suggest one that's completely different - A Stop at Willoughby.

Nostalgia kills, a good moral.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Nooner posted:

I think i saw one when i was little where like the mannequins in a department store like came to life or something, or maybe just one of them did?

you are making me so furious

e: oh no wait that was a real one

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sperghetti posted:

That is not the best one but it's very good and probably has the happiest ending of any Twilight Zone.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Vastarien posted:

All the ones written by Richard Matheson

Death Ship kind of sucked

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Ralp posted:

That is not the best one but it's very good and probably has the happiest ending of any Twilight Zone.

The happiest ending is the one where two kids go to live in a magical land to escape their parents' divorce.

The portal to this paradise is in the bottom of their pool but they totally didn't drown themselves, seriously guys they're fine. I assume some network censors were involved with that one.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ralp posted:

That's a point about happy endings in TZ. Lots of these episodes have unhappy endings or in some cases, tragic. Even dumb sci-fi episodes like the one with Jean Marsh as a robot who lives with a prisoner isolated on a planet - it's really sad. I can't think of a series now that so consistently ended with "You depressed enough yet? Here, watch this ad and be in the mood to buy stuff".

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This whole thread belongs in the Corn Field for not mentioning It's A Good Life

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Helsing posted:

This whole thread belongs in the Corn Field for not mentioning It's A Good Life

iirc they did a sequel to that in the 80s series with Bill Mumy all grown up.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

iirc they did a sequel to that in the 80s series with Bill Mumy all grown up.

I know that Joe Dante directed a remake of that story as a segment of the movie in 1983(?)

e: Yeah, 1983. Bonus: Kevin McCarthy was in it -

Nic Cage dick cage fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 17, 2015

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Ralp posted:

That reminds me, there was one where a bumbling janitor activates a time machine and the episode suddenly becomes a silent movie with title cards for all the dialog. Great gimmick, but the episode was mostly a slapstick comedy iirc.

that bumbling janitor was buster loving Keaton, mister

Episode was brilliant.

also : the one with the guy that was driven mad and eventually killed by his appliances

also : the boxing episode

also: the time machine episode with the three bank robbers

cannae pick a favorite, the well is far too deep

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
It was the one with hitler

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
I don't remember the title to the episode but the plot was a spaceship crashed and they were all waiting for the rescue ship to arrive.

After years of waiting, the ship arrives and one of the characters decides he doesn't want to go so he runs back into the cave.

He changes his mind and runs out just in time to see the rescue ship take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

buttcrackmenace posted:

that bumbling janitor was buster loving Keaton, mister

holy poo poo

That is probably the one thing you could say to completely change my mind about the slapstick shtick of the episode, I'll have to rewatch it. :)

• Locked thread