Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

Wasn't Mayhew good at drafting, but awful at free agency or the other way around or something?

Other way around. A lot of our best additions in his era were FA pickups (Golden Tate, Stephen Tulloch, Glover Quin, etc.). But his draft picks routinely busted or at the very least disappointed. Ziggy Ansah and Darius Slay are exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Mayhew did a good job at rebuilding the Lions but mostly failed on the whole concept of "if you're not getting better, you're getting worse." I wonder what the FO that won two Super Bowls in the last decade wants to do with him. Maybe they're getting reading for their own rebuilding phase now that Coughlin is gone?

I agree with this. Like, the NFL is set up better than most leagues for a fast turnaround but to build a playoff team 3 years after going 0-16 is still impressive given the absolute dearth of talent on the 2008 team. His time had clearly run it's course but he deserves more credit than just being seen as "not Matt Millen".

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Other way around. A lot of our best additions in his era were FA pickups (Golden Tate, Stephen Tulloch, Glover Quin, etc.). But his draft picks routinely busted or at the very least disappointed. Ziggy Ansah and Darius Slay are exceptions.

It's not really the Giants' style to go all-in in FA and be offseason champs, but maybe that's what they want to do this year as they have $55 mil in cap room and want to try and get a third title out of Eli before he retires in a few years. Maybe they see Mayhew as a dude who could help with that as Reese has struck out in FA the past few seasons.

Don't think there's any chance of a "rebuilding" period for the Giants while Eli is still here. I'm expecting them to be in on most of the big names out there, specifically guys like Vernon, Jeffery, Schwartz, etc as long as there aren't too many franchise tags flying around.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Honestly if the Giants install a new S&C staff there's no reason they can't have a nice deep playoff run sometime in the next three years. The offense is pretty much where it needs to be, and the defense is bad but partially due to everyone constantly being dead

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Menamino posted:

It's not really the Giants' style to go all-in in FA and be offseason champs, but maybe that's what they want to do this year as they have $55 mil in cap room and want to try and get a third title out of Eli before he retires in a few years. Maybe they see Mayhew as a dude who could help with that as Reese has struck out in FA the past few seasons.

Don't think there's any chance of a "rebuilding" period for the Giants while Eli is still here. I'm expecting them to be in on most of the big names out there, specifically guys like Vernon, Jeffery, Schwartz, etc as long as there aren't too many franchise tags flying around.

To Mayhew's credit he really never went "all-in" on any of his signings that I can recall. Sure, they spent some money but it was more about adding a lot of really solid to higher end depth. His biggest addition was Tate which ended up being for a relative bargain at 5 years, 31M.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah good value signings are always a nice thing, if he can help there that'd be a big help for sure.

They're not an organization that's about making big splashes or anything but they do need a big infusion of talent on defense. A guy like Vernon would help a lot for big $$$ but minor signings at multiple positions could also go a long way to make them at least respectable on D.

Raku posted:

Honestly if the Giants install a new S&C staff there's no reason they can't have a nice deep playoff run sometime in the next three years. The offense is pretty much where it needs to be, and the defense is bad but partially due to everyone constantly being dead

I think this is true to a degree, although they do need to get some new bodies on defense as well, even when healthy. This is a huge offseason for the Giants because their D is gonna look completely different next year, for better or worse (although I dunno how worse could be possible).

JPP may be gone, Prince probably is also. Ayers is a solid rotational DE who is a FA who is a good fit as a #3 sort of guy.

They have two very good players in DRC and Hankins under contract. LB Kennard is also good, with the potential to be really good, but like Hankins missed most of the year. Essentially every other position could have a new face as there's not anyone above replacement level currently on the roster.

With so much cap space the Giants really must add:

- 2 high quality front 7 players
- a free safety
- a #2 and #3 corner
- an OT

a dream offseason would also add 4 or 5 new front 7 players and a legit WR opposite Beckham like Jeffery (pipe dream) or a guy like Marvin Jones or anyone who isn't Reuben Randle really.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Menamino posted:

JPP may be gone, Prince probably is also. Ayers is a solid rotational DE who is a FA who is a good fit as a #3 sort of guy.

Did Prince end up turning into a good corner? I haven't though about him since he was still getting hazed or whatever in his second year.

I mean he can't be too good or that wouldn't be the case, but is he a solid starter?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Did Prince end up turning into a good corner? I haven't though about him since he was still getting hazed or whatever in his second year.

I mean he can't be too good or that wouldn't be the case, but is he a solid starter?

He had sex then became good

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah Prince is a solid player, he's just always hurt.

He already has quotes this postseason about wanting to be a ring chaser, which ironically enough the Giants could have been the past few years if players like him didn't miss so many games due to injury. He'll get a solid payday somewhere, just hard to exactly figure what his market will be.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is Victor Cruz dead?

The Giants are one of Five or so teams, along with the Jaguars, that have a lot of cap and a lot of need. I am curious who will actually end up available for people to bid on. I see Vernon's name flying around so much but what if he gets re-signed?

Dattserberg posted:

To Mayhew's credit he really never went "all-in" on any of his signings that I can recall. Sure, they spent some money but it was more about adding a lot of really solid to higher end depth. His biggest addition was Tate which ended up being for a relative bargain at 5 years, 31M.
Haven't the Lions been in salary cap hell because of Megatron, Stafford, and until last season, Suh's contacts? That could not have helped things.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Bort Bortles posted:

Haven't the Lions been in salary cap hell because of Megatron, Stafford, and until last season, Suh's contacts? That could not have helped things.

This is true. From 2007-2010 their first round picks were 2,1,17, and 2. That really hosed with the cap starting the last few years and still is going into this offseason depending on CJ.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

Is Victor Cruz dead?

Pretty much. He developed issues in the other leg while rehabbing this past season and never even took a preseason snap. Ended up with some really rare condition in his calf that required surgery. Can't count on him to contribute going forward when constructing the team.

Who knows if he'll ever be the same after that knee injury even if he gets back to 100% at some point.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dattserberg posted:

This is true. From 2007-2010 their first round picks were 2,1,17, and 2. That really hosed with the cap starting the last few years and still is going into this offseason depending on CJ.
This is funny to me because the Jaguars have been picking pretty high (never 1st overall, thank god) or pretty poorly for the past ~12 years, but since most of the picks have been bad, they arent on the hook for any of that money!

Menamino posted:

Pretty much. He developed issues in the other leg while rehabbing this past season and never even took a preseason snap. Ended up with some really rare condition in his calf that required surgery. Can't count on him to contribute going forward when constructing the team.

Who knows if he'll ever be the same after that knee injury even if he gets back to 100% at some point.
Yuck. Just goes to show how fleeting the NFL can be for players.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Someone's going to sign Derrick Shelby for 3 mil a year and get a great situational pass rusher.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/710905631981625344

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
http://m.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Jaguars-make-three-additions-to-coaching-staff/e8789851-6f8c-42a5-a736-7029ad7d4de0

Is Kiffen anything more than a name at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just came to ask the same thing. I hope they brought him in to advise Wash on being a DC.

• Locked thread