Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's never too early to start speculating about when your dumb and bad team will fire its dumb and bad coach. So let's get down to it.

I'll be updating the OP weekly with my completely subjective, not-at-all expert opinions on which head coaches are in the most danger this season. Feel free to disagree or write your own effortposts about why Coach X is a literal retard who should've been fired years ago.

Also, I don't know enough about the coordinators to see who might be potential head coach candidates, so if some goons can provide info on the up-and-comers that would be much appreciated.

:siren: END OF SEASON UPDATE: With the season over, here is where every team stands on their coach going forward.

BACK FOR 2016

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Rex Ryan, Buffalo Bills
Todd Bowles, New York Jets
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals
Chuck Pagano, Indianapolis Colts
Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans
Gus Bradley, Jacksonville Jaguars
Mike Mularkey, Tenenssee Titans
Gary Kubiak, Denver Broncos
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Jack Del Rio, Oakland Raiders
Mike McCoy, San Diego Chargers
Jay Gruden, Washington
Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys
Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
Jim Caldwell, Detroit Lions
John Fox, Chicago Bears
Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals
Jeff Fisher, St. Louis Rams

Joe Philbin, Miami Dolphins (interim coach: Dan Campbell)
Mike Pettine, Cleveland Browns
Ken Whisenhunt, Tennessee Titans (interim coach: Mike Mularkey)
Chip Kelly, Philadelphia Eagles (interim coach: Pat Shurmur)
Tom Coughlin, New York Giants (resigned)
Lovie Smith, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jim Tomsula, San Francisco 49ers

NEW COACHES

Miami Dolphins: Adam Gase (Bears OC)
Cleveland Browns: Hue Jackson (Bengals OC)
New York Giants: Ben McAdoo (Giants OC)
Philadelphia Eagles: Doug Pederson (Chiefs OC)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Dirk Koetter (Bucs OC)
San Francisco 49ers: Chip Kelly (Eagles HC)

Benne fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't get how you can be entering a "make or break" season coming off an appearance in the conference championship game

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If the Buccaneers look as bad as they did last sunday again, I bet Lovie Smith is fired before September is over.

They were totally unprepared for that game, especially on defense. Hell, Mariota was talking about how easy the reads were, a rookie, from Oregon had no problems figuring out their schemes.

Beyond that... Jay Gruden is probably the only other guy I could see going at any time.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

BREAKING: joe philbin signs 5 year extension. ross: "we believe he's the right man for the job"

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Andy Reid will assuredly not be fired this year, barring some freaky crime or something. Hope that helps!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

I don't get how you can be entering a "make or break" season coming off an appearance in the conference championship game

Yet Jim Harbaugh happened. I guess you just have to believe Jim Irsay's as much of an incompetent boob as Jed York which isn't that crazy.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Please get fired whiz tia

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

BREAKING: joe philbin signs 5 year extension. ross: "we believe he's the right man for the job"

A Canadian man was spotted outside of Sun Life brandishing a gun, screaming MY HEALTH WILL NOT ALLOW IT while furiously messaging someone on his phone.

Edit police have since informed us he was private messaging a user of the something awful forums named "Ehud" apologizing for what he must do. He later jumped.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Lovie should definitely be under the HOTTTT section. The defense somehow got worse from last season and he took over defensive play calling from Frazier.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah. gently caress if. Fire Jay Gruden.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Andy Reid isn't going anywhere unless he retires, not sure why his seat is mildly hot besides maybe from rear end heat

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I could see Jack Del Rio or Tomsula being one and done.

I don't think Bill O'Brien is even remotely on the hot seat. Everyone understands he has no quarterback.

Edit: also Philbin has to be on the hot seat. If they don't make the playoffs he's gone.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 16, 2015

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Everyone should keep their jobs so the Bengals can keep their OC.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

wandler20 posted:

Lovie should definitely be under the HOTTTT section. The defense somehow got worse from last season and he took over defensive play calling from Frazier.

I remember hearing Lovie getting the Tampa job and thinking that with him at the helm the Bucs would get a scary defense like 2002. I loudly told my friends this and how excited I was for Tampa.

My friends think I'm an idiot now and no longer listen to anything I say about NFL coaching

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I thought the same, but apparently he chose early retirement instead.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It's not a "whisper" that Chuck Pagano is a lame duck. His contract ends after this season. He is literally a lame duck coach unless they choose to extend him.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

E_Motion posted:

I remember hearing Lovie getting the Tampa job and thinking that with him at the helm the Bucs would get a scary defense like 2002. I loudly told my friends this and how excited I was for Tampa.

My friends think I'm an idiot now and no longer listen to anything I say about NFL coaching

Well I think the general consensus was that Lovie would be a huge improvement of loving Greg Schiano. Apparently he was a downgrade.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

E_Motion posted:

At this point I think Lovie just took the job so he could spend his winters in Florida. Everything about his Bucs tenure screams "gently caress it, getting paid either way"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

NC-17 posted:

It's not a "whisper" that Chuck Pagano is a lame duck. His contract ends after this season. He is literally a lame duck coach unless they choose to extend him.

This is an excellent point and I'll add it to the OP. Not re-upping a coach's contract is a Big Red Flag because it's essentially a vote of no confidence. Even Rex Ryan got an extension with the Jets before they fired him, just because it looks bad if they don't.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Benne posted:

This is an excellent point and I'll add it to the OP. Not re-upping a coach's contract is a Big Red Flag because it's essentially a vote of no confidence. Even Rex Ryan got an extension with the Jets before they fired him, just because it looks bad if they don't.

They did offer Pagano one but he turned it down. It may have been only a 1 year extension, which is pretty much a kiss of death anyway, so doesn't mean that much.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

NC-17 posted:

I don't think Bill O'Brien is even remotely on the hot seat. Everyone understands he has no quarterback.

Edit: also Philbin has to be on the hot seat. If they don't make the playoffs he's gone.

But, at least IMO, he either has poor judgment or let the QB guru talk get to him. He had a chance at a good QB and flopped. Now we keep grabbing "know the system" guys trash heep.

Basically mallet better produce.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

NC-17 posted:

Part of the reason he has no quarterback is because he hasn't prioritized getting one

This team would look a lot different with Derek Carr instead of a guard who has barely played at all and sucked when he did

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers: Normally I'd have McCarthy in the "zero danger" category, but last year's NFC Championship meltdown still leaves a bitter taste. Will firing himself as playcaller be enough to placate the mob?

He's not going anywhere, unless the Packers somehow manage to win less than 8 or 9 games.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fenrir posted:

He's not going anywhere, unless the Packers somehow manage to win less than 8 or 9 games.

The only way that is possible is Rodgers getting hurt, and if that happens McCarthy won't take blame.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Benne posted:

At this point I think Lovie just took the job so he could spend his winters in Florida. Everything about his Bucs tenure screams "gently caress it, getting paid either way"

Yep. Shades of ditka in New Orleans.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You can just remove Andy Reid from this post entirely.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

gently caress Lovie Smith, dude is overrated garbage.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yeah there's no chance McCarthy is getting fired even if the team has a bad year. The only people calling for his head are people who frequent the Journal Sentinel comments section.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

vyst posted:

gently caress Lovie Smith, dude is overrated garbage.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Intruder posted:

This team would look a lot different with Derek Carr instead of a guard who has barely played at all and sucked when he did

That's assuming alot about Derek Carr.

No Butt Stuff posted:

You can just remove Andy Reid from this post entirely.

If your an an offensive coach part of your job security hinges on QB play. He hitched his wagon to Alex Smith. Whoops.

Cash Monet fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 17, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

At least he didn't hitch it to the 16 QBs in the league that are worse than Smith. And he's got development prospects.

Smith is doing fine. I don't know why everyone thinks he's poo poo. He works for the system.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

If the future hinges on Aaron Murray than hes really screwed.

Management in KC will want the team to take a step forward within the next couple of years, maybe push for contention because of the talent they've accumulated. When the team can't because their QB is scampering for 3 yards on 3rd and long and allergic to throwing the ball outside the numbers or past 20 yards the offensive coach and QB will get questioned.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

We have Tyler Bray also!

I think we have all the pieces in place or are getting them there. Smith is releasable for the 2017 season. He'll be gone before Reid is.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

commy gun posted:

If the future hinges on Aaron Murray than hes really screwed.

Management in KC will want the team to take a step forward within the next couple of years, maybe push for contention because of the talent they've accumulated. When the team can't because their QB is scampering for 3 yards on 3rd and long and allergic to throwing the ball outside the numbers or past 20 yards the offensive coach and QB will get questioned.

2-14 the year before Reid, 19 wins the 2 years he's been here, there's no case for him having a hot seat, christ Hunt stuck with Herm Edwards for like 4 years

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I'm not quite sure what Lombardi is doing with the Lions offense, but I'll give him another 8 games to show me his genius.

After that...

Caldwell play calling time, wooooo!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Pron on VHS posted:

2-14 the year before Reid, 19 wins the 2 years he's been here, there's no case for him having a hot seat, christ Hunt stuck with Herm Edwards for like 4 years

John Fox got fired after back to back 13 win seasons and a super bowl appearance

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

John Fox has nothing to do with that team's success though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
How many one and done coaches have there been in the past few years? I can only think of Jim Mora Jr. for the Seahawks before Pete Carroll arrived.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

seiferguy posted:

How many one and done coaches have there been in the past few years? I can only think of Jim Mora Jr. for the Seahawks before Pete Carroll arrived.

TFF Douche Hall of Famer Bobby Petrino and Rob Chudzinski on the Browns.

korrandark fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rod Chudzinski, Hue Jackson and Cam Cameron only lasted a year I'm pretty sure.

And Bobby Petrino, but he quit.

• Locked thread