Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ken O'Keefe for head coach imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

I mean, the offense is amazing right now.

The guy is just a loving trainwreck, but hey, you know, better your team then mine when Belichick retires.

I can't even imagine what will follow Belichick in New England because he's the head coach, and his coordinators are basically all glorified secretaries who absolutely cannot be trusted with greater responsibilities under any circumstances, and he's also the GM. His coaching tree is more properly a coaching virus, so you don't want any of those fuckos like Mangini back. Scott Pioli turned out to be just a huge shithead. And so on.

I suspect it will make everyone but Pats fans very happy. I'm hoping it will at least be an entertaining Götterdämmerung.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be Patricia.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Chilichimp posted:

It's gonna be Patricia.

He sure seems like the least bad option. But when the defense is being coached up on the sidelines of a game it's always Belichick himself doing it, so it's unclear what if anything Patricia actually knows how to do. :iiam:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

He sure seems like the least bad option. But when the defense is being coached up on the sidelines of a game it's always Belichick himself doing it, so it's unclear what if anything Patricia actually knows how to do. :iiam:

Wear loose clothing, grow a beard, and otherwise look like he's on the deck of an aircraft carrier during a drill.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Who would they be promoting?

Realistically it would be Lazer on Interim I bet

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think the Fins are better off letting Philbin ride this train to its appointed 4-12 destination than have someone with a pulse take over the team and possible get them back to 8-8.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I actually agree with that. You're likely not gonna see movement but considering the bye week and all that, I would expect Philbin fired if Miami goes 1-3. Which they will.

They were so flat

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Who is going to be the big name coach everyone wants to hire this offseason?

Dave Toub is due

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Here are the Rotoworld rankings for coaches the last two years. Joe Philbin was 25th(out of 25 returning coaches each year)

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/52307/57/nfls-best-coaches-2015?pg=3
25. Joe Philbin
Career Record: 23-25 (.479)
With The Dolphins Since: 2012
Last Year’s Ranking: 25

The grandest of mediocrities, Joe Philbin is not an NFL coach. He is a shrinking violet garbed in an aqua polo and adorned with a headset. He is a man unloved by his players, outwitted by his rivals and overwhelmed by his duties. An “offensive mind,” Philbin does not call his own plays. That leaves his primary function as “leading.” This is not good because Philbin’s primary failing is leadership. Not every NFL coach is going to be Pete Carroll or Mike Ditka. Loud does not equal “lead.” But if you’re going to be the quiet type, you better have a firm grasp on the pulse of your team. This is something Philbin insisted he didn’t have when he pled ignorance again and again in the Dolphins’ “Bullygate” scandal. Philbin’s locker room was fracturing into factions, and whether it was willful or intentional, he had no idea. Once Philbin finally does discover his problems, he ships them out instead of coaching them up. Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis have both thrived since Philbin sent them packing, while the Dolphins have spent millions and many draft picks trying to replace them.

Not that Philbin’s failures all come behind closed doors. As a game manager, his top innovation has been calling late timeouts on defense in one-score games. This brilliant tactic helped produce two wins in 2014 … for the Packers and Lions. Philbin’s other speciality is dialing up field goals. Unfortunately for Dolphins fans, only five teams had worse field-goal percentages last season. Philbin is John Harbaugh if he never won. He’s Mike Tomlin if he never showed fire. He’s Jason Garrett if he never smiled. He is the worst coach in the NFL.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46250/57/the-nfls-best-coaches?pg=3

25. Joe Philbin
Career Record: 15-17 (.469)

You might think that, like Garrett, it’s not clear what Philbin does. You’d be wrong. It is clear. Nothing. Philbin does nothing. Philbin is a former offensive coordinator who didn’t call plays even when he was an offensive coordinator. He doesn’t know how to hire assistants. He doesn’t know who to feature on offense. He doesn’t know how to handle a PR crisis. He does know how to project the personality of a cantaloupe that’s learned how to talk. Maybe Philbin’s value added to the Dolphins is immense behind the scenes. His starring role on Hard Knocks wouldn’t suggest that, but work with me. But even if that were true, could it possibly be worth the ineptitude he’s shown on the sideline? Hiring Mike Sherman? Featuring Daniel Thomas? Having no clue how to get to the ball to his No. 1 receiver or keep his quarterback upright? With a playoff berth on the line, Philbin’s team combined for seven points in Weeks 16 and 17. It generated 24 first downs. That would get you fired five times in Cleveland. In Miami, it wins you a power struggle with the general manager. Philbin’s off-the-field victory will ultimately prove pyrrhic for the Dolphins on it.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Here are the Rotoworld rankings for coaches the last two years. Joe Philbin was 25th(out of 25 returning coaches each year)

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/52307/57/nfls-best-coaches-2015?pg=3
25. Joe Philbin
Career Record: 23-25 (.479)
Last Year’s Ranking: 25

The grandest of mediocrities, Joe Philbin is not an NFL coach. He is a shrinking violet garbed in an aqua polo and adorned with a headset. He is a man unloved by his players, outwitted by his rivals and overwhelmed by his duties. An “offensive mind,” Philbin does not call his own plays. That leaves his primary function as “leading.” This is not good because Philbin’s primary failing is leadership. Not every NFL coach is going to be Pete Carroll or Mike Ditka. Loud does not equal “lead.” But if you’re going to be the quiet type, you better have a firm grasp on the pulse of your team. This is something Philbin insisted he didn’t have when he pled ignorance again and again in the Dolphins’ “Bullygate” scandal. Philbin’s locker room was fracturing into factions, and whether it was willful or intentional, he had no idea. Once Philbin finally does discover his problems, he ships them out instead of coaching them up. Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis have both thrived since Philbin sent them packing, while the Dolphins have spent millions and many draft picks trying to replace them.

Not that Philbin’s failures all come behind closed doors. As a game manager, his top innovation has been calling late timeouts on defense in one-score games. This brilliant tactic helped produce two wins in 2014 … for the Packers and Lions. Philbin’s other speciality is dialing up field goals. Unfortunately for Dolphins fans, only five teams had worse field-goal percentages last season. Philbin is John Harbaugh if he never won. He’s Mike Tomlin if he never showed fire. He’s Jason Garrett if he never smiled. He is the worst coach in the NFL.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46250/57/the-nfls-best-coaches?pg=3

25. Joe Philbin
Career Record: 15-17 (.469)

You might think that, like Garrett, it’s not clear what Philbin does. You’d be wrong. It is clear. Nothing. Philbin does nothing. Philbin is a former offensive coordinator who didn’t call plays even when he was an offensive coordinator. He doesn’t know how to hire assistants. He doesn’t know who to feature on offense. He doesn’t know how to handle a PR crisis. He does know how to project the personality of a cantaloupe that’s learned how to talk. Maybe Philbin’s value added to the Dolphins is immense behind the scenes. His starring role on Hard Knocks wouldn’t suggest that, but work with me. But even if that were true, could it possibly be worth the ineptitude he’s shown on the sideline? Hiring Mike Sherman? Featuring Daniel Thomas? Having no clue how to get to the ball to his No. 1 receiver or keep his quarterback upright? With a playoff berth on the line, Philbin’s team combined for seven points in Weeks 16 and 17. It generated 24 first downs. That would get you fired five times in Cleveland. In Miami, it wins you a power struggle with the general manager. Philbin’s off-the-field victory will ultimately prove pyrrhic for the Dolphins on it.

Week 8 is probably where Philbin gets fired. Because for as much of an rear end in a top hat people think Rex Ryan is, he does have the quality of mercy which is why you saw EJ in there and a relaxed defense at the end.
The Patriots have no concept of honor and are going to kill the Dolphins and then they are going to rape Stephen Ross in front of a horrified Warren Buffet.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Chilichimp posted:

It's gonna be Patricia.

It'll probably be McDaniels tbh

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

has an NFL team ever hired a head coach right out of a mid-major in college (or better, an FCS team) because I'm trying to imagine the media frenzy over a team hiring someone like Justin Fuentes from Memphis

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

has an NFL team ever hired a head coach right out of a mid-major in college (or better, an FCS team) because I'm trying to imagine the media frenzy over a team hiring someone like Justin Fuentes from Memphis

I'm sure it's happened multiple times but Don Coryell went from SDSU (who were d2 when he started there) to the nfl

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 29, 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Week 3 rankings are up. We're starting to get some clarity on where each team stands so hopefully this list won't be as herky-jerky as I made it the past couple weeks. That said, there's still a lot of football left to play.

The Bears and 49ers are in a freefall, but I'm not ready to move either coach out of the grace period yet. Marvin Lewis goes to "zero danger" and stays there until the playoffs roll around. Rumors of Chip's demise may have been exaggerated.

ZERO DANGER

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Mike McCoy, San Diego Chargers
Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys
Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals

FIRST-YEAR GRACE PERIOD

Rex Ryan, Buffalo Bills
Todd Bowles, New York Jets
Gary Kubiak, Denver Broncos
Jack Del Rio, Oakland Raiders
John Fox, Chicago Bears
Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons
Jim Tomsula, San Francisco 49ers

MILD

Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans: Got a much-needed win this week, and with Arian Foster due back soon there's plenty of time to salvage the season. If Foster does return healthy and rejuvenates the offense then I'll move BOB to "zero danger" in due time. Still, find a real drat QB, bro.

Gus Bradley, Jacksonville Jaguars: I wasn't sure where to rank Bradley this week. Nobody expected the Jags to beat New England, but at some point you'd like them to actually look competitive against better teams, rather than just rolling over and dying. The Jags have a million injuries on defense so that's at least a good excuse for Gus, but Bortles seems to have hit a wall once again.

Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs: Got smashed by the Packers and now have to travel to Cincinnati, making a 1-3 start quite likely. Reid probably won't get fired this year, but hitching his wagon to Alex Smith could cost him in the long run.

Chip Kelly, Philadelphia Eagles: Okay, so maybe I got caught up in the hype when I stuck him in HOTTTT last week. The Eagles' next three games? @WAS, NO, NYG. The sky might not be falling after all.

Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints: Payton is a tough one for me to grade. There's no doubt that the Saints are in real trouble right now, and Brees' injury could cause their whole season to go up in smoke. The question for me is, how much rope does Payton have for dragging the Saints to relevance, and how much rope will he have left when their contention window closes? I'll be monitoring this one closely.

Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers: Still have a lot of problems at WR and OL, but if Cam Newton keeps playing the best football of his life, and Luke Kuechly comes back on schedule, it might not matter. A 3-0 start is a big loving deal in the wide-open NFC playoff race.

MODERATE

Ken Whisenhunt, Tennessee Titans: Well, blowing a 13-point lead against a beatable Colts team won't do much to help your job security. The Titans have an early bye in Week 4 to figure out where they stand this season. Whiz continues to do nothing to inspire confidence.

Jay Gruden, Washington: I didn't watch Thursday's game, but I saw that Skins lost and Kirk Cousins sucked again. I've still seen nothing to indicate that Gruden isn't just waiting out the year.

Tom Coughlin, New York Giants: Got in the win column, but over a Skins team that trips over their own dick even more than the Giants do. That doesn't move the needle either way on Coughlin's status.

Jim Caldwell, Detroit Lions: After a playoff appearance in his first season, the Lions are in the dreaded 0-3 hole and have the Seahawks and Cardinals coming up next. In other words, they're in big trouble. Everybody still remembers Caldwell's disastrous Colts tenure, so questions are already popping up. OC Joe Lombardi could be the first coordinator fired this season, if only to appease the masses.

Lovie Smith, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Bucs homers would blame the kicker for missing 3 FGs. Neutral observers would wonder why the Bucs settled for FGs so often, instead of taking advantage of a wounded Texans offense. There were no winners in that awful game and Lovie's status is unchanged.

Jeff Fisher, St. Louis Rams: By all rights, Fisher should be in HOTTTT. His team injured Pittsburgh's superstar quarterback, their defense held the Steelers to 12 points, didn't have to worry about Big Ben for a full quarter ... and they lost 12-6 at home. The offense is unwatchable right now, and I don't expect it to change even when Todd Gurley gets more involved. It's becoming obvious that the Week 1 Seahawks win was a fluke -- this Rams team looks rudderless. But the ownership is paying Fisher too much and still inexplicably loves him so he'll stick around. This may change if the Rams continue playing bad, but Fisher is as Teflon as ever.

HOTTTT

Joe Philbin, Miami Dolphins: Hey, how do you follow up a demoralizing road loss to the Jaguars? With a demoralizing home blowout loss to the Bills, of course. Christ, what a loving mess.

Chuck Pagano, Indianapolis Colts: The media may frame it as ANDREW LUCK LEADS SEASON-SAVING COMEBACK. Smart people read it as: You needed a heroic comeback against the loving Titans. Sorry Chuck, nothing you did this week changed anybody's minds about anything.

Mike Pettine, Cleveland Browns: It's the Jimmy Haslam Browns. Every coach is on the hot seat until proven otherwise.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alaois posted:

Dude why you gotta try and rob me of the only thing I've got going for me sports wise this year

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Not sure why McCoy is in zero danger. The Chargers have been a pretty big disappointment so far.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

LiquidFriend posted:

Not sure why McCoy is in zero danger. The Chargers have been a pretty big disappointment so far.

Eh, I'm mostly going on goodwill there. His first season he wins a playoff game on the road, goes 9-7 last year with big roster holes, and he's getting a lot of credit for giving Rivers' career a second wind.

I'm still not sure what to make of the Chargers this year, but I also haven't seen anything to indicate McCoy is in danger. It seems like they're committed to him for now.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Missing out on January football last season because Chase Daniel beat you and a rough start isn't good. He might be okay for now, but the heat will be on if they stay under .500.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Most people are expecting a double digit loss to the Jets via sabotage because the players seem to loving hate the coaches, each for different reasons.

On the bright side, Rishard Matthews, the man the Panthers could have had for a 4th rounder or so... is on fire. 3 games - 16 catches for 262 yards and 3 touchdowns.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Most people are expecting a double digit loss to the Jets via sabotage because the players seem to loving hate the coaches, each for different reasons.

Go on...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm pretty sure Fisher is HOTTTTT right now based on the fact he hired internally for the offensive coordinator rather than looking for someone. The offense is such a loving dumpster fire right now and it's 80% play calling at this point.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm pretty sure Fisher is HOTTTTT right now based on the fact he hired internally for the offensive coordinator rather than looking for someone. The offense is such a loving dumpster fire right now and it's 80% play calling at this point.

They're not going to fire Fisher.

The team is out the door and into LA. no one gives a poo poo in the city or in the national media. They'll let him coach that crap out then start fresh in 2016.

Please beat the Seahawks again tia

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

LiquidFriend posted:

Missing out on January football last season because Chase Daniel beat you and a rough start isn't good. He might be okay for now, but the heat will be on if they stay under .500.

McCoy is fine. The heat is gonna be on Telesco for not doing more to address the OL, but injuries are a fluky thing. McCoy has gone 9-7 his first two years, and should be around that this year.

This is also an owner who kept Norv Turner for 7 years so I don't see him axing McCoy after 3 in any circumstance

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Dude why you gotta try and rob me of the only thing I've got going for me sports wise this year

It could also be Matt Campbell from Toledo! Fuentes was just the first "rising mid-major coach" that came to mind.

Nov 6, 2002

AAA DOLFAN posted:

On the bright side, Rishard Matthews, the man the Panthers could have had for a 4th rounder or so... is on fire. 3 games - 16 catches for 262 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Is 5 catches per game really "on fire" now?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

NC-17 posted:

He's playing better and more meaningful snaps than highly touted offseason acquisitions Kenny Stills and Greg Jennings. That's a plus.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NC-17 posted:

It's a pretty great stat line for a dude who barely saw the field in recent years and was gonna be the 5th WR in this offense.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't think most Dolphins fans saw Jennings as anything more than a depth with some upside potential, but Stills has to make them pine for the days of Mike Wallace. They gave up a third-round pick to get rid of Ellerbe’s contract.

(I thought it was a good move in the off-season, in fairness.)

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

It's a pretty great stat line for a dude who barely saw the field in recent years and was gonna be the 5th WR in this offense.

Fair enough.

What I can't figure out about the Dolphins is how no one is getting pressure on the quarterback with Suh eating up 2-3 defenders at a time. What the hell is the rest of the defense doing?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Burger Trench posted:

(I thought it was a good move in the off-season, in fairness.)

I think most people did, he looked really good in his limited touches for the Saints.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NC-17 posted:

Fair enough.

What I can't figure out about the Dolphins is how no one is getting pressure on the quarterback with Suh eating up 2-3 defenders at a time. What the hell is the rest of the defense doing?

Cameron Wake has a bad hamstring.

Olivier Vernon...I don't know what is happening there. He has been absolutely terrible this year.

And our LB corps just isn't very good at pushing the passer.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

NC-17 posted:

He was the 5th string receiver to start the season and is averaging 90 yards and a touchdown every game. That's great no matter who

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

NC-17 posted:

Fair enough.

The Lions from 2010 to 2013.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

NC-17 posted:

Fair enough.

I haven't a clue, myself. Seantrel Henderson is pretty bad, you'd figure some one could beat him one-on-one.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

NC-17 posted:

Fair enough.

Teams are getting the ball out quickly and not staying in the pocket, and both OV and Wake are injured.

Kevin Coyle is really bad at coaching fronts, and the wheels have fallen off completely since midway through last year. They switched to a more aggressive gap scheme and it's been badly taken advantage of and doesn't appear likely to change.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Teams are getting the ball out quickly and not staying in the pocket, and both OV and Wake are injured.

Kevin Coyle is really bad at coaching fronts, and the wheels have fallen off completely since midway through last year. They switched to a more aggressive gap scheme and it's been badly taken advantage of and doesn't appear likely to change.

If Detroit and Miami both blow things up maybe the Dolphins can swoop in and get Teryl Austin to be coach and handpick his DC to run his system.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

kalensc posted:

If Detroit and Miami both blow things up maybe the Dolphins can swoop in and get Teryl Austin to be coach and handpick his DC to run his system.

i don't know

teryl austin seems a little too...uh...how do i put this

"hip hop"

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Dolphins should hire Joe Lombardi. He has the pedigree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

I was thinking the Patriots are going to have a pretty short draft weekend with their 1st and 6th already gone. But then I see they're going to have four compensatory picks (3rd, 6th, 6th, 6th) from Revis, Vereen, Wilfork and Ayers.

They should probably fix that system.

• Locked thread