Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Completely free. All content is free.
No membership required.
Everyone starts fresh.
Each region has its own economy and Grand Exchange where you have to transport goods ArcheAge tradepack style (with almost full loot PVP added to the mix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B447TPxqhdQ

quote:

What is DarkScape?
DarkScape is an open-world sandbox MMO, where brutal PvP combat and ruthless trade wars are the name of the day.
Based on the legendary RuneScape, it’s a huge world 15 years in the making – filled with loot and rich resources ripe for the plundering…if you can claim them.
Best of all? It’s 100% free to play.
DarkScape is here in its rawest form, but where it goes next is up to you. We’ll be developing it as you play, adapting it to your actions and providing new challenges to suit you.
Your stories will bring it alive, and your feats will become its legends. This is your chance to be part of something new and exciting – to help forge the game that you want to play.

quote:

S2. Joining GoonScape

To join GoonScape, you need to first familiarize yourself with the UI a bit. Assuming your computer isn’t a relic from the ‘90s, these are the steps you’ll need to follow.
First, click on this button . This brings up your ‘Community’ window.

Next, you should see the following window:

Make sure you have the green middle icon highlighted. Viewing this window, click the little icon in the lower left ( ] and type in GoonScape.

You should enter the clan chat channel. From there, just ask in chat to be invited to the clan; we’ll get you situated!

Invitation comes up in main chat tab, it's not part of the GUI

Things to do

quote:

Global:
Waterfall quest. Att/Str stats instantly go to 30+.
Suicide to quickly unlock lodestones. Gameplay settings > Death respawn settings.
This video has been recommended.
Lodestones. Unlock them if you're nearby.
Leathercrafting can may be decent beginning cash. (Sell to a general store)
Logs into arrow shafts is also good beginning cash. (Sell to a general store)
Do God statues for Construction & prayer/slayer xp.
Don't bother trying sinkholes. Dg xp lamps will not award dg xp.
Lumbridge:
Circus D&D is currently nearby.
The Nexus. Free prayer xp.

Taverly:
Get a wicked hood.
Talk to Major Mary Rancour for 5 potion sets, a dwarven army axe and a steel full helm.
Mess Sergeant Ramsey sells 500 pots of flour for 14gp each and 10 chocolate bars for 20 each. Could be useful for cake or chocolate cake.
Head Farmer Jones will buy anything that a general store would. Loot from 1 cow is around 19 coins. Kill 2 cows to be able to afford a rake, seed dibber, and a bucket of compost. Claim the 3 free potato seeds and plant them in the patch right next to him.

Most importantly, run like hell out of Lumbridge. It's hell right now, but once you're out of the area it becomes playable.

A lot of people write off RuneScape as babby's first MMO, but it's a legitimately good game created as a free alternative to games like Ultima Online and Asheron's Call, so it isn't your generic MMO. It's certainly the most modern sandbox (that isn't in early access) and has the benefit of 14 years worth of content. With this ruleset and member content unlocked to everybody, this is going to be one hell of a game.

https://darkscape.runescape.com/

IF YOU HAVE A BLACK SCREEN, IT'S BECAUSE THE GAME IS CACHING ON YOUR SYSTEM, GIVE IT ABOUT AN HOUR

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Reserved post.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
I don't have a black screen, but areas still take awhile to load. I don't really think it's my connection. I'm on the U.S. server and every other game I play works fine.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

PsychicToaster posted:

I don't have a black screen, but areas still take awhile to load. I don't really think it's my connection. I'm on the U.S. server and every other game I play works fine.

I haven't played RS since 2007ish but I believe it's caching since there aren't supposed to be loading screens at all in RS3. They need to release a client with everything included because it makes first impressions awful.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I haven't played RS since 2007ish but I believe it's caching since there aren't supposed to be loading screens at all in RS3. They need to release a client with everything included because it makes first impressions awful.

I guess I'll dick around while it caches then. Thank you.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How accessible is this if I've literally never touched Runescape before?

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

fadam posted:

I would try the base game. I haven't played in like two years and I'm having trouble remembering what to do. Add world PVP and it's just a big middle finger to you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hello friends

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

fadam posted:

I wouldn't say it's inaccessible, it's just less accessible to people trying to figure out what to do while having to worry about skulls. As with every open world PVP game in existence, as the novelty dies down, people will become more civilized, and the devs will likely make it more punishing as time goes on. No one wants to stick out in the wilderness and risk losing their gear all the time because they wanted to troll some level 3 character that walked into extremely dangerous territory.

Also, since open world PVP is a thing, the vanity item circlejerk will go away, I'm curious to know how this will effect the economy since no one is going to spend a couple hundred million gold wearing an item that can easily get taken away.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Do we have/want/need a mumble server? I can make a channel in the goon smite mumble if we don't have anything else to use. I won't be home for about two hours though.

Hoppeduppeanut
Oct 27, 2013

Bait and Swatch posted:

Do we have/want/need a mumble server? I can make a channel in the goon smite mumble if we don't have anything else to use. I won't be home for about two hours though.

Goonscape has a Mumble server but it hasn't seen much use recently so I don't know if it's still up. There's instructions on how to join in the OP of the Runescape thread if you wanna try that.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
For a lovely game for lovely people I see a lovely lack of lovely screenshots of shittier people getting poo poo on.

Otherwise if you guys think this is a good idea how about you hear my proposal for an MMO inventory system!
Don't ask it's bitcoinblockchain

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Runescape was fun; I'll check out darkscape.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

ThndrShk2k posted:

For a lovely game for lovely people I see a lovely lack of lovely screenshots of shittier people getting poo poo on.

Otherwise if you guys think this is a good idea how about you hear my proposal for an MMO inventory system!
Don't ask it's bitcoinblockchain

Give it time, it's only been up for like 14 hours m8

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If this was a good game you would be playing Runescape. Open loot PVP doesn't make a game magically good.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

jabro posted:

If this was a good game you would be playing Runescape. Open loot PVP doesn't make a game magically good.

A good ruleset makes a great game even better. Only reason I gave up on Runescape was because of the "combat upgrade". Also I feel that the grand exchange killed meaningful player interaction.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Well, it lagged like hell for me and a game that looks like this shouldn't so I'll try again tomorrow. I logged on when there was way more than 1k players online and they all seemed to be in Lumbridge.

I know there's the instructions "get the hell out of lumbridge" but then what? This game looks a hell of a lot different than I remember it from all those years ago.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Pixelslol posted:

Well, it lagged like hell for me and a game that looks like this shouldn't so I'll try again tomorrow. I logged on when there was way more than 1k players online and they all seemed to be in Lumbridge.

I know there's the instructions "get the hell out of lumbridge" but then what? This game looks a hell of a lot different than I remember it from all those years ago.

Runescape is still Runescape - kill some chickens or something.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Pixelslol posted:

Train whatever you want to do. Mining is still a viable source of income but I don't know how much people are willing to risk mining rune essence for cash. Not to mention you require a pick axe so if you die, goodbye mining materials.

Combat should be your #1 priority. Make sure you balance your XP gains. I have a feeling steel armor/weapons will be the most viable items that players are willing to risk for a while, until rune becomes economically viable (and once the playerbase calms down with the PKing). Personally I'm training fishing so I can sell lobsters since that entire area is technically part of the gates past Falador if I'm remembering correctly.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 17, 2015

Exps
Jun 14, 2008
As long as I can beg for free items, I'm in.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
Can you potentially level everything or do you have to figure out what you are doing with your life?

If the later we need some build guides.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Forgotton posted:

Can you potentially level everything or do you have to figure out what you are doing with your life?

If the later we need some build guides.

You can level every single stat. Combat skills and prayer are probably most important, so pick up those bones and start burying them.

Fly Like Nimbus
Jun 17, 2015

If you haven't checked out the Goonscape thread, someone has set up a friend chat at Peg Leg. There were about four or five last night chatting before I went to bed so hop in there and maybe someone will be around

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

:siren:DON'T CHANGE YOUR HIGH RISK RESPAWN TO MAGES ARENA UNLESS YOU'RE USING SLASH WEAPONS/GOT A KNIFE IN YOUR HIGH RISK BANK:siren:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Looking from a distance right now, but if I start to see some good times I'd be down to hop in.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
I can't decide between hitting things, shooting things or magic. Do they play very differently in the end? Also, if you still need runes or whatever for magic I'm only interested in either hitting things or shooting them.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Phosphia posted:

I can't decide between hitting things, shooting things or magic. Do they play very differently in the end? Also, if you still need runes or whatever for magic I'm only interested in either hitting things or shooting them.

You'll always need runes, unless you cheap out and just use the air infused ((mystic) battle)staves and Armadyl battlestaff http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Staves

Ranging however, there's only the level 1 weapons which doesn't require arrows and then there's nothing for 70 levels until you can use Crystal bows and beyond.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
Is it bad to do everything and not just stick with one thing?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Phosphia posted:

Is it bad to do everything and not just stick with one thing?

Combat skills will increase your combat level, so if you're 20 magic, 20 str, 20 attack and wielding willow turds, you can be attacked by some shitlord with only 70+ magic and high end gear.

In the long run it doesn't matter, but around combat lvl 20-80 you should focus on one combat style instead of being a weak jack of all trades.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Do we have a clan yet?

Fly Like Nimbus
Jun 17, 2015

About 10 goons hanging out in Peg Leg at the moment but still no clan

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like you will get more discussion in the regular runescape thread. There isn't a separate thread for old school either. I think you might be better off recruiting goons in the regular runescape thread.

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014

Fly Like Nimbus posted:

About 10 goons hanging out in Peg Leg at the moment but still no clan

This my my FC.

We've already done a few adventures! Me and 2 other goons did waterfall together.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

Personally I'm training fishing so I can sell lobsters since that entire area is technically part of the gates past Falador if I'm remembering correctly.

Let me get this straight, there's a fun economic model, everywhere-murder and fishing? I'll bite :shrug:

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Slarlid posted:

Let me get this straight, there's a fun economic model, everywhere-murder and fishing? I'll bite :shrug:

We've got plenty of body-pillows and pizza for everyone, don't worry.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Is there fishing?

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014

Hexel posted:

Is there fishing?

Yes but someone will kill you for your shrimps.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

No one wants to stick out in the wilderness and risk losing their gear all the time because they wanted to troll some level 3 character that walked into extremely dangerous territory.

I don't understand this mentality at all.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This owns. So. loving. Hard.

The crashing poo poo is getting kinda old though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014

DarkScape is a very serious PvP economic MMO

• Locked thread