Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all the descriptions are hsit and say "musicians return home" but it looks to have lasted 4 seasons so how can they stretch that to 4 seaosns whats ita ctually about can someone help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
It's about the rebuilding of New Orleans following Katrina.

You wouldn't like it.

Espacio
Mar 25, 2006
Dieses ist der schlechteste verrat!
Yes. It has great acting and music. It can also be bleak as gently caress sometimes.

It's a David Simon vehicle so if you liked The Wire you'll probably like it. If you haven't seen The Wire you should check that out too. A bunch of the same actors have leading roles.

Fun fact Jon Batiste (Stephen Colbert's new band leader) shows up in the later seasons as, you guessed it, a jazz musician

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is it more npr or more BBC

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
its pronounced TREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I like when John Goodman jumped off a ferry to his death.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
While it's not The Wire, which gets the circle jerking and all that jazz, there was something magical about Treme that still touched on social commentary while also being very very unique in covering the events that happened after Katrina.

I loved it. But then again, I love the music, food and general vibe of New Orleans. This poo poo isn't just what happens on Bourbon st. But hey, that's what most think of the area.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
As someone connected to the area who dealt with family and friends in the exact situations being portrayed, yea. It's not a fuckin documentary or whatever but it's a very good and, as others said, unique, commentary on post Katrina culture in New Orleans. It's crushingly honest at times where it just sits down and goes 'no this thing RUINED people, there's no happy ending for some of these dudes' but the cast is excellent and the writing was done by people who know their poo poo. If you give a slightest bit of poo poo about that part of history, yea it's worth a watch.

Also

Jose Oquendo posted:

I like when John Goodman jumped off a ferry to his death.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Things I remember about Treme:

- Bunk is really great in it
- John Goodman's widow and daughter put a dumb song on repeat, leave the door open and go to mardi gras
- This lady

is the best real musician amoing the main cast and no she doesn't play in her underwear but she's really hot. I hope you REALLY like violin solos though because every episode has about 3 music scenes and she's in a lot of them.
- Kim Dickens throws a Sazerac at some rear end in a top hat food critic and tells him that's how the NO fairy folk wash their face. Then she gets super bummed out about running her own restaurant but not really running it because The Man keeps telling her to push the ravioli special and actually make money.
- This guy

is super annoying, especially during the first season where he forms a band and Hip Hops all over the place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8iFb1bJ5QQ You will constantly dream of someone punching him in the face but as far as I remember it only happens once.
- It's a David Simon show so there's both a Corrupt Police and Corrupt Land Developers plotline.
- Big Chief Is Real Pretty

- Occasionally Dr. John shows up. This show introduced me to the greatness that is Dr. John (and also a ton of other good musicians). Thank you Treme.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 17, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Wire was a show nobody watched but should have

Treme is a show nobody watched for a reason

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really loved Treme but it was very different from The Wire - there seemed to be half-hearted efforts at a larger overarching story, both per season and in general, but where it was at its absolute best was just focusing on the characters and how they dealt with living their life both in the immediate aftermath of Katrina and then in the years that followed.

Also the music and food scenes were a treat for the ears and eyes respectively.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Anthony Bourdain was a writer for the show. So, I'm not sure if that's a pro or a con for you.

The characters are based on real life poo poo.

You will probably not get the cultural stuff that is happening and wonder why African Americans get dressed up in feathers and walk around talking like their native Americans. Hell, there was a sort of companion piece to the show to explain a lot of what these New Orleans specific things were.

But in the end, the characters were king in all this. And even though Davis is pretty annoying, eventually you come to accept him. Just have to realize that his source material of the real life Davis is just as annoying.

Watch it for the characters and for the music. Wendell Pierce is the loving man in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK_YDfPHuT4

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok so it's not really a show iwth a plot or anything it's just a "these are people hwo live"

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
The plot is how life goes on after a major catastrophe rocks your city....

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So glad this got it's own thread. Especially with such a high quality OP.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I saw a couple of episodes. It was incredibly boring.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I really liked it and watched every episode but had to fast-forward through almost all the music :shrug:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My mom is a devout christian and doenst let me watch sex scenes are there any sex scenes in this

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

gently caress this Bourbon st rear end thread. Treme is too good a show for this loser to drunk post or poo poo post or whatever this is.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Fragmented posted:

gently caress this Bourbon st rear end thread. Treme is too good a show for this loser to drunk post or poo poo post or whatever this is.

gently caress this post, gently caress this show, gently caress this Op gently caress this thread, gently caress you buddy

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
op for SA posting all star squad

put him in, Lowtax, he's ready

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fragmented posted:

Disgraceful behavior from the treme fandom imo.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Abu Dave posted:

all the descriptions are hsit and say "musicians return home" but it looks to have lasted 4 seasons so how can they stretch that to 4 seaosns whats ita ctually about can someone help

it is about boring. The wire was the greatest television show ever and that black dude with a shotgun? and all the black saying cool things? cop realism.

why would you want to watch boring music show?

MoaM fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Illinois Smith posted:

- This lady

is the best real musician amoing the main cast and no she doesn't play in her underwear but she's really hot. I hope you REALLY like violin solos though because every episode has about 3 music scenes and she's in a lot of them.
What a confusing picture.

• Locked thread