Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Harveygod posted:

I am more confused why ARCA doesn't live-stream races that aren't broadcast. I mean, why not? There shouldn't be any contractual barriers, right?

They're trying to find a PPV model that works so that they don't lose their rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

LASTCAR posted:

I'm just excited that Clint Bowyer's going to join a "who's that?" list of drivers who inherited rides of retired or deceased past champions including Rick Wilson (Richard Petty), Larry Pearson (David Pearson), Mike Alexander (Bobby Allison), Todd Bodine (Darrell Waltrip), Chad Little (Benny Parsons), Jimmy Hensley (Alan Kulwicki), and Kasey Kahne (Bill Elliott).

Of course, on the flipside, there's Kevin Harvick (Earnhardt), Kurt Busch (Rusty), Dale Jarrett (Yarborough), and jury's out on Chase.

I think Bowyer is more category 2 than category 1.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I see the Sadler/Onemain train is rolling to JRM for 2016.

Replacing Chase Elliott with Elliott Sadler is like replacing an iPhone with two cans and a string.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

It's pretty cool that you'll be featured on Earnhardt-Foyt Cup Championship leader Joey Gase's car.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

So it's like Chase Elliott's Darlington car where it has to be explained because it resembles vaguely the way the Wrangler car was laid out?

Maybe the Axalta car can be blue and yellow: http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news/articles/58892/axalta-extends-relationship-becomes-a-primary-sponsor-of-no-88-team

...Junyer wins Axalta in the Jeff Gordon Sponsorship Dispersal Contest and they add three races. I wonder how that works.

My guess is KBB isn't returning for their two races.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Heathen posted:

The NASCAR playoff system emphasizes winning. Which is why despite not winning a race since the Brickyard two years ago Ryan Newman is in the playoffs again this year after almost winning the championship last year.

Matt, Kyle and Jimmie go into the playoffs tied with most wins at four apiece. Matt wins again and is locked into the next round. Kyle does okay and advances while Jimmie has a bad race and is eliminated while Ryan "Winless" Newman and Jeff "Is It Over Yet?" Gordon advance. Those four wins Jimmie had sure were important.

I stop watching when NFL starts.

They were just as important as a dominant NFL team's wins when they're eliminated by a 7-9 team.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Despite MWR coming apart at the seams, Michael Waltrip still has sponsorship from Maxwell House and may run the 500 and Talladega in his own cars next year.

E- Apparently MWR doesn't officially close until next April.

He'll be in the 98 for "Premium Motorsports"

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
Supposedly Johnny Sauter is moving teams?

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

mearn posted:

Is he still married to that crazy lady from when he was on that NASCAR reality show?

I'm not sure. Someone once told me that she's the reason he got canned from Phoenix Racing several years ago.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Cubey posted:

Let's be fair here, he was gonna get canned anyway because he is the worst.

Johnny Sauter owns. Haters vacate

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
The franchise deal is just as bad as the low downforce package is good.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Uncle Jam posted:

Why do people not like the franchise thing

I would have no issue with the franchise thing if it were being implemented in a better way. The format I heard about basically cuts the purse by about 40% for teams without franchise spots.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
I don't think any of the specifics have been made public yet. I think NASCARspeak for the franchises has changed from "medallions" to "charters"

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
Beyond excited about Sgt Sauter at GMS

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

That's basically what I was told last week. There are teams scraping by, and losing 40% of the purse would be the death blow. Not to mention not being locked in.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

That fucks the 46 and 51 cars too, doesn't it?

E: 25 charter sports, 8 at-large spots for each race. I can't see any faults with this.

Those getting a charter would be:
48 Hendrick Motorsports
20 Joe Gibbs Racing
3 Richard Childress Racing (former 29)
18 Joe Gibbs Racing
88 Hendrick Motorsports
24 Hendrick Motorsports
15 Michael Waltrip Racing (going away)
22 Team Penske
16 Roush Fenway Racing
78 Furniture Row Racing
4 Stewart Haas Racing (former 39)
5 Hendrick Motorsports
6 Roush Fenway Racing (former 99)
2 Team Penske
1 Chip Ganassi Racing
55 Michael Waltrip Racing (former 56)
27 Richard Childress Racing
14 Stewart Haas Racing
43 Richard Petty Motorsports
17 Roush Fenway Racing
31 Richard Childress Racing
42 Chip Ganassi Racing
9 Richard Petty Motorsports
11 Joe Gibbs Racing
13 Germain Racing
38 Front Row Motorsports
10 Stewart Haas Racing
34 Front Row Motorsports
51 Hscott Motorsports
47 JTG Daugherty Racing
7 Tommy Baldwin Racing
23 BK Racing (former 93)
62 Premium Motorsports (former TBR 36)
83 BK Racing
32 Go Green Racing
33 Circle Sport Racing

Current fulltime teams without a charter are:
41 Stewart Haas Racing
19 Joe Gibbs Racing
35 Front Row Motorsports
40 Hillman Racing
46 HScott Motorsports
98 Premium Motorsports
26 BK Racing

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Heathen posted:

I kinda doubt anyone can outbid JGR for the 19. Does SHR have that kind of money? Wasn't that the biggest sticking point to signing Kurt? Does this accelerate Furniture Row's plans for a two car Gibbs-lite team?

Three less start and parkers. Oh the humanity.

If the question is "Does Gene Haas have enough money to ____________?" the answer is always yes.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

kidcoelacanth posted:

"Primary" in the sense that it's on the hood, it's co-primary with Haas all year.

1 race will have Monster on both the hood and quarter panels
17 races with Monster on the hood and Haas on the quarter panels
18 races with Haas on the hood and Monster on the quarter panels

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
If the past champion's provisional still exists next year, SHR has no reason to buy a charter for the 41.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
Apparently Justin Allgaier will be driving the No. 7 Xfinity car for JR Motorsports next season with Brandt sponsorship.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

VikingSkull posted:

If we're gonna compare this to an incident in the past, then that incident is Kyle vs. Hornaday. NASCAR sat Kyle after that, so by default Kenseth should get parked this week.

There's a big difference between turning a guy head on at a super speedway and hitting a guy at a short track. Plus Kenseth isn't on probation.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
Daniel Hemric will supposedly drive the No. 19 for Brad Keselowski Racing next season. Tyler Reddick will move to the No. 29, and a third truck will be split between other drivers.

NTS has underachieved their whole tenure in the Truck Series, so Hemric with a team like BKR could be game over for the championship.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
The fact that most drivers who don't drive for Penske or a Penske-affiliated team (McDowell) seem to support Kenseth's actions speaks volumes IMO.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
It's like people are fine with the old mentality of "I'll race you how you race me" until someone shows a habit of not being a clean racer. To paraphrase Chris Rock, I'm not saying Kenseth should have wrecked Logano, but I understand.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Exi7wound posted:

If you're going to put Jeff Gordon into the Chase because someone manipulated the outcome of the race, then you have to consider putting Joey through to Homestead as well.

This has to be a joke.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Exi7wound posted:

I get it. It's ridiculous. But someone needs to show me how it's different. Bowyer intentionally changes the outcome of the race, and the chase, and NASCAR puts Gordon into the chase. Kenseth intentionally changes the outcome of the race, and the chase, and... what?

They shouldn't have put Gordon into the chase in 2013. Consistency is a bad thing if you're consistently making the wrong call.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

gret posted:

If she left SHR or the series she wouldn't be freeing up a ride because she's the reason why there's funding to run that car.

One rumor I've heard is that the only money Nature's Bakery is paying for their sponsorship is for activation. Haas put them on the car for free in exchange for Haas Automation building all the stuff for their factory (aka a butt ton of money)

SpitztheGreat posted:

Larson could bring sponsorship, so could Dillon. For both it would be a step up in terms of equipment. Larson would have won a race by now if he was in better stuff.

Ganassi's equipment is fine. I don't think Chris Heroy is a good crew chief.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
The franchise thing *may* be off the table until 2017. I hope this is true so that Rob Kauffman's plan backfires tremendously.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Elephanthead posted:

I ate a Nature Bakery fig cookie. It was tasty, and I guess made by robots. How does a negotiation reach a point where hey if you buy these robots at list price we throw in a sprint cup driver. You can have Danica or Kurt.

That I don't know, but I imagine it was an expensive job for Haas to write off like 24 races a year for 2 years.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
There's no way they would eliminate Cup drivers from the Xfinity Series. That question's purpose on the Fan Council Survey is probably in hopes of responses like "I enjoy getting to see my favorite driver race twice each weekend!" and if they don't get that response they'll just carry on as if nothing happened.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

The one that pissed me off the most was Reed Sorenson. He was in the 32, 3rd in points with an outside chance for the championship when Dollar General decided they'd rather have Brian Vickers. Sorenson had won at least one race that year.

It was never outright said to me, but it was heavily hinted that Sorenson getting ousted was more due to internal issues with him and the team.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
I could've sworn JGR has already said that Erik Jones is full-time next year in Xfinity.

And yeah, banning Cup drivers wouldn't mean young drivers fill those empty seats, it more than likely means those seats go away.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Peanut President posted:

I mean is that so bad? If Grand National can't exist without cup drivers treating it as a glorified practice session, then why have it?

I don't think it's bad at all. There would be a couple years of small fields, but once teams realized that they'd have to cut costs big time if they wanted to survive I think the racing would be better and more competitive.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

SpitztheGreat posted:

This is close to my thoughts on the issue. Before Cup drivers completely took over the series, there were drivers who were series regulars that you would watch for. The Cup guys were kind of a cool addition at some of the bigger races, but 90% of the time you knew the "stars" of the series and it was different enough from the Cup races that it was interesting. Now, if you remove the Cup drivers, there will be an immediate loss of interest until the series can build itself back up from under the shadow of BushWackers.

Seeing Kyle Busch struggling to get his own Nationwide team off the ground was fun to watch. By the time the end of 2012 came around he had made huge progress and was close to winning for his own team. While I don't like Kyle I respected it. Then of course JGR decided that they wanted the $6 million+ that Monster was bringing and that was that.

EDIT - I realize most people probably want Truex to win the Championship for ironic purposes, but I'd be genuinely happy to see him win the Championship. All four contenders make for interesting stories for completely different reasons.

Muddy Burphy fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 16, 2015

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

For every Mark Martin or Jeff Burton who ran for their cup teams, you had Dale Jarrett, Terry Labonte, Jimmy Spencer, Joe Nemechek and the like running in their own equipment or for a Busch-only team, rather than for their Cup teams.

Kevin Harvick building KHI into what it became was extremely impressive to me. I can't blame him for shutting it down, though. I'm sure being able to solely focus on driving is part of the reason his last few seasons have been so productive.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

NBC this weekend will apparently have a companion race broadcast on NBCSN called "Hot Pass". I haven't seen what it entails, but I hope to Christ it involves Ken Squier.

e- Dedicated channel monitoring the four remaining Chase drivers with its own broadcast team, on-boards, dedicated cameras, graphics, and stats. Allen/Letarte/Burton have the call as usual on NBC, Leigh Diffey and Dale Jarrett will be in the booth on NBCSN.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...-m-et-sunday-2/

And it would not surprise me at all to see Logano send Kenseth through the spin cycle again. Jolo did not look happy after the race was called.

That's interesting. I wonder if the commercial breaks will be in sync.

Also I don't think Logano will do anything to Kenseth. The penalty would *have to* be just as severe, and sitting out the Daytona 500 just isn't worth it.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Cubey posted:

Uh wtf, I don't think anyone is 'ironically' pulling for Truex to win and I have no idea why you would think this to be the case.

I've seen quite a few "I hope Truex wins to show what a joke the chase is" posts on social media.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
Even though Timothy Peters and the 17 team won the truck race last weekend, Marcus Richmond is gone from the team effective immediately. I wonder what happened.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Isn't ESPN going to start covering WWE in some form on SC? Awful Announcing had a screengrab of one of their anchors in a split screen with Charlotte.

It's literally WWE buying time to be on SportsCenter once a week.

Also JD Gibbs can't remember the last time he was this happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

bigbillystyle posted:

I really don't understand NASCAR's need to manufacture "great" finishes. They would have had a good finish yesterday with the 42 trying to run down the 2 car. It looked as if the 42 would have at least caught the 2 and if he caught the 2 then there was an opportunity for a real great finish to an otherwise boring as hell race. But that wasn't game 7 enough for NASCAR so in comes the fake debris caution with 11 to go. So loving lame. I didn't really care who won the championship, kinda wanted Gordon though Harvick probably deserved it out of the 4 guys running for it. Kyle maybe would have deserved it depending on how he would have run the first third of the schedule. He did reel off a great summer when he came back but other than that was not really a factor for wins week in/week out.

I really thought that they would have let it go to the finish once it was clear that the 42 had something for the 2 and was actually going to have a shot at the win. Stupid me for having even 1% of doubt that there would be a "debris" caution for GAME 7 PLAYOFF CHAMPIONSHIP NFL GAME 7 BOTTOM OF THE NINTH OVERTIME SUDEN DEATH GAME 7!!!!!

There was a giant piece of metal on the front stretch, but yes let's hear the tired old line about manipulating finishes.

• Locked thread