Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They rigged the track bar so it would move on its own. This is pretty much their last year anyway so blaze of glory I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Figure they're at the bottom of a big Chevy pecking order, it's a smart move, especially with MWR pretty much dissolving. If I recall, it's why Gibbs switched originally too

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Heathen posted:

Assuming Hamlin doesn't get replaced
Is this a rumored thing or something?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jeff is leaving, now Tony, Matt Kenseth not long after, JJ and Junior are getting up there too... drat. All the guys that help define an era will probably be out in a few years.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I blame Jimmie Johnson.

edit: so it appears as if the current storm track holds, Sunday will probably be a washout as well as Monday. Bear in mind too that Dover doesn't have lights. I'm gonna guess Tuesday, which in that case I'll try and snag some dirt cheap tickets and play hookie for a day

edit2:

Keep in mind that this only represents the probability of where the center of the storm can be at those given intervals. So depending on how expansive the rain bands push north, they might be alright, but it's gonna be close. The storm potentially making landfall in NC might help. Also fun fact, the northeast quadrant of tropical storms/hurricanes typically have the most wind and rain.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 1, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Current track as of 11am ET is looking better. It's taking the storm further east.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Two tires for Harvick huh

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't see any problem with Newman and Gordon advancing, they made the playoffs and did what they had to do. It's like other sports in the sense that there's going to be upsets. In hockey for instance, the team with the best regular season record rarely ever wins the Stanley Cup. The seasons are long, people get hot, people bottom out, people get lucky. It's the nature of the beast.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

That's always been part of the deal though, since cars started racing each other. They'll never get around that short of just putting chase cars on the track, which will probably never happen.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Maybe important sponsor news: The company that owns Budweiser has agreed in principle to merge with the company that owns Miller. No idea what that would mean for anything yet, but that's a thing that's happening.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Joey's gonna get dumped at Homestead

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

"Strategically this wasn't a smart move for Joey"

Yeah I don't think we've seen the end of this

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Logano is probably gonna hang out at the back at Dega anyway because he's got nothing to gain

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Seriously though, if Kenseth retaliates over this he's a loving moran.

Drivers blocking like Kenseth did today is a relatively new phenomenon. Back in the day if you drove back and forth tossing blocks at guys multiple times in a lap, you got dumped, period. End of discussion. Somewhere along the line, guys stopped dumping dudes that threw insane blocks, so now blocking that blatant is accepted.

More idiots should get dumped for blocking. My only regret today is Logano didn't hook Kenseth's right rear.
So do you fault Kenseth for blocking in that situation? I also think Logano was justified but Kenseth was faced with no other choice, he was 4 laps away from winning a race he absolutely had to win

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

gently caress Kevin Harvick.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There's been no official rulings yet, but apparently NASCAR leadership is in a closed door meeting right as we speak.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's official, no changes, Harvick's in per @NASCAR

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I LOVE YOU MATT OMG I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This chase format is really making everyone do stupid poo poo.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

That's not to say I'm not enjoying it, I am thoroughly, but it's thunderdome lately

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This is cool and good

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

HMS now has a few weeks solely to prepare a rocket for Homestead. He could very well win this whole thing

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Kenseth will get probation or some poo poo

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Gordon apparently just went into the stands to celebrate with the remaining fans :stare:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah I took that as Denny being a little tongue-in-cheek there, especially considering he pretty much called out Harvick after last week

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So where are we on Martin Truex? Does he have a legit shot at this? I think if he can hang on through to Homestead he very well might. I just looked up his stats at Homestead, and it's actually been his best Sprint Cup track, averaging 10.0 in 10 starts.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think he didn't admit to it because he didn't want to incriminate himself. I mean the incident speaks for itself but yeah

I do think he should've owned it though

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Part of me wonders if it's anybody else but a Penske car that caused the wreck earlier if any of this even happens. There was some radio chatter where Matt had asked his spotter if the 2 wrecked him purposely and I forget what he said exactly but the spotter pretty much said yeah. So I think Kenseth just said "gently caress it" at that point and went kamikaze

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

He absolutely has a legit shot and three cars getting shithoused today certainly didn't hurt.
My only concern with that is I can easily see a Penske car winning at Texas and Harvick has been absolute money at Phoenix as of late, winning 4 of the last 5 races there. So basically it'll all come down to that final spot.

My guess is that he's gotta outrace Kyle in these next two. Kyle's been very good at Texas as well, but both drivers have been very average at Phoenix, so who the hell knows.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 2, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

SpitztheGreat posted:

Edit- Mostly I'm just surprised that boring Kenseth, who was in the wrong, got cheers for wrecking Joey. I would have thought that the normal fan just wouldn't have cared that much about those two since they're both pretty vanilla.
I think the cheers were a combination of "oh my god that actually just happened" and an underestimation of how many people generally dislike Joey.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Disband NASCAR

edit: actual content; Jeff Gordon was on Dan Patrick this morning and gave his two cents about the Kenseth/Logano stuff. Video and associated article with quotes below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4gK2Eqhj0

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2015/11/2/jeff-gordon-dan-patrick-show-reaction-joey-logano-matt-kenseth-wreck.html

quote:

If there's anyone who knows about getting retribution on a championship-eligible driver, it's Martinsville-winner Jeff Gordon.

Gordon, who effectively ended Clint Bowyer's title hopes by taking out his No. 15 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota at Phoenix in 2012, was asked about Sunday's incident in which Matt Kenseth -- off the lead lap at the time -- wrecked a race-leading Joey Logano two weeks after Logano initiated contact with Kenseth at Kansas.

His initial reaction?

"Wow," Gordon told Dan Patrick on his radio show. "I had kind of forgotten about it; their issue. I was right behind Matt when the whole wreck happened the first time that kind of took him out of the race. It was a racing incident, but at the same time, I wasn't putting two and two together at the time of 'Oh, boy, here comes the redemption.' I thought it was the 2 car (of Brad Keselowski) that got into Matt, not the 22. When I watched it happen, I was like 'Oh, my gosh. Did I just see that happen?'

"Of course, for me, the 22 at that time was the biggest threat that we had on the race track to win that race. Things started adding up for me and our team."

Logano had led a race-high 207 laps to that point and appeared set to wind up in Victory Lane for the fourth straight week to clinch a Championship Round berth before the 20 car intervened. Kenseth, out of the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup after the 22 car bumped him while leading at Kansas, certainly appeared determined to make sure Logano faced the same fate.

The move allowed Gordon to take control of the race -- and the Chase standings -- with two races remaining in the Eliminator Round, leaving Logano in last place and searching for answers.

"Since then, I've had a lot of things go through my mind in that incident. I had a similar incident with Clint Bowyer several years ago, so I can relate to Matt," Gordon said. "He was taken out of a race win and a shot at the championship in Kansas and right or wrong, when that happens, you aren't going to forget it. You are going to take that win or championship away from someone else if you get that opportunity and that's exactly what happened."

Gordon has had issues with Team Penske drivers before -- we're approaching the anniversary of the four-time champion's melee with Logano's teammate Keselowski at Texas Motor Speedway -- and seemed to side with fellow 40-plus-year-old Kenseth, who Gordon says he has a "tremendous amount of respect for," despite their own run-ins with each other.

But was the controversial move fair?

"Life's not always fair," Gordon said. "Here's the way I look at it. Joey's been amazing this year and he's not done yet; I think they can still make it to Homestead and be a major threat. I think he's the favorite to win this championship.

"Had Joey handled that situation at Kansas slightly better … I mean, he was gloating about it. He was like, 'Oh, yeah. That's exactly the way I should've raced and he blocked me.' That's fine if you feel that way, but guess what? That's not helping the situation and how (Kenseth's) going to think about you and not even think twice if he gets in that scenario and in that situation. That's what I learned in my situation with Bowyer. Yeah, I had regrets. I wish I'd handled it differently, but I also know my raw emotions came out and I reacted. But it's how you handle it from that point moving forward as to what is going to help you get through it. That goes from both sides; from Joey's side as well as from Matt's side."

In short, Gordon thinks Kenseth felt "like he was disrespected and that he wasn't going to stand for it anymore."

As the series now turns to Texas -- known for its hot action on the track and on pit road following the race, it'll be interesting to see what unfolds, as neither driver has any strikes left to give.

"It's a three strikes and you're out-type situation," Gordon said. "The Kansas thing happened; that's strike one. They had some issues at Talladega; that's strike two. And then boom, this happens at Martinsville and it's strike three, that's it. I've lost any amount of integrity at this moment because my raw emotions and frustrations have now taken over.

"I think anyone that was in that position, who's a competitor and has driven a race car, I think, yeah, it's a good chance -- 90 percent of the time -- they do the same thing."

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 2, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

daslog posted:

-Two teammates side by side on a restart can brake and stack up the entire field.
Isn't that kinda sorta what Logano and Kez were trying to do on some of those restarts? Maybe not so much get the field stacked but to try and get them running 1-2

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think Logano's dad being a meddling rear end in a top hat doesn't help his garage image. The #22 crew had to physically restrain him yesterday.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The longer we wait on this decision, the more I think Kenseth is going to be parked

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Two races, well worth it

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Apparently Ricky Craven just tore NASCAR a new rear end in a top hat on ESPN just now, did anybody see it?

skaboomizzy posted:

Why just two races? Why would you let Kenseth back on the track at Homestead?
Because France rolled a 2

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Erik Jones is gonna wreck Logano this weekend

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14047292

Craven's reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Boomer The Cannon posted:

A fist fight would've made this much simpler.
I agree, I'd like to see Matt knock Tom Logano's lights out

• Locked thread