Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

armoredgorilla posted:

Hi, I've enjoyed reading your short stories off and on for several years now. Welp see you later.

Same.

I figure that when I see 'recursive loop that self regulates' and immediately jump to an obscure short story that that's praise enough.

But yeah. Long time fan.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

IceAgeComing posted:

This is very true, at least from what I've heard.

I've only listened to the two monthly stories (not very good), the New Adventures thing they did (which I liked) and the first series of the Benny Summerfield audios which were based on various NA books. It's mixed, there's some good stuff (the first panto based one is silly but it's the good type of silly plus it has Nicholas Courtney playing a talking cat (don't ask), the Babylon one was interesting and I really dug Love and War for some reason: they are both part of the same story arc but the one in the middle can be skipped unless you really need to hear Colin Baker's terrible Russian accent). There's some poo poo in there as well although that might be because they picked terrible books to adapt, idk

The rest of her audios are probably more uneven than the regular Who line; they're freer in what they can do in terms of the content than Who, and sometimes that results in something great, or something absolute dogshit.

BF kinda screwed themselves with the early series format, because they used the series to launch their book range - which is fine...except important events happen in them which are lightly referenced in the audios, and you feel like you're missing out on the story half the time. poo poo like, she becomes pregnant all of a sudden, from an alien dog-friend, and then vaguely references something about a mind control crystal - if you've been listening to just the audios, this and the birth of her child appear without any prior indication.

There's a particularly egregious one, where the Braxiatel Collection is invaded by the Daleks (none of which is even hinted at in the audio previous story), where they recorded a "Previously on-" brief extracts, from an audio that they never originally performed. It's confusing as all hell if you didn't realise there's meant to be books too.

Some of the worst stories, are abstract concepts, like The Adolescence of Time (Something something dinosaur people/sentient earth), or about how super important Benny is to the universe (anything involving the Epoch - a god-like race trying to resolve a paradox around her). One bad one I remember was essentially a pilot for the BF Dorian Gray series.

There's some gems though; Crystal of Cantus (a pretty good cyberman story, from Lidster no less!), Jason Kane: End of the World, The Diogenes Damsel (Mycroft David Warner!), Everybody Loves Irving (Miles Richardson hamming it up!).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

qntm posted:

Thank you.

I'm not familiar with your works, if it isn't inappropriate to ask, can somebody point me in the right direction to find out more?

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's a particularly egregious one, where the Braxiatel Collection is invaded by the Daleks (none of which is even hinted at in the audio previous story), where they recorded a "Previously on-" brief extracts, from an audio that they never originally performed. It's confusing as all hell if you didn't realise there's meant to be books too.

Oh my God this would drive me insane if I listened to it without knowing the "audio" it was referencing didn't exist :stare:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not familiar with your works, if it isn't inappropriate to ask, can somebody point me in the right direction to find out more?

http://qntm.org

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks! :)

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

It's because Gallifrey is immeasurably ancient and the world itself long ago died. The grand cities are contained within the baubles because that contains their false atmosphere and ecology. That city might look small, but every building and corridor is bigger on the inside. If you measured the actual size of that city it would cover the entire Earth and theirs a few dozen of them on Gallifrey.

In the absence of further official guidance, I will accept your head canon. :)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So, what the Hell was that Time Tot (Timepole?) doing in the middle of the desert? Do the Time Lords just have child sentries stationed across the planet in case the Doctor makes a dramatic entrance?

Give you fifty-fifty odds the kid was a shepherd's boy.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
David Tennant is voicing Fugitoid on the new TMNT series! I didn't recognize his voice until the newest episode where the character giggles and I was like "Doctor?"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

kant posted:

Little bubble?! You make it sound like it's a bad thing. They have the perfect city with everything they could want without having to be bothered with the dirty 'outside'.

I assume "bigger on the outside" technology also works with cities, so there might be just like six or seven cities (there's the capital city, and the one that got destroyed in Day of the Doctor, right?) with billions of people in each of them. I like the idea that the Time Lords have basically gone up their own asses instead of stepping out into the rest of their planet.

Maybe the Death Zone is just everything outside the cities, even.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So somebody's asked me to recommend good new-series Doctor Who episodes, and I think it'd be a good idea to open it to you guys to figure out a good sample selection. Partly to get a good listing, and partly because it's probably a good asset to have anyway.

What I'm thinking is to split it into certain categories, and provide an example from each Doctor. One-offs or two-parters, not majorly connected to any bigger story. What I've got so far...

Horror/suspense with a weird monster: The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Blink, Night Terrors, Flatline
Action starring a famous enemy: Dalek, Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel, Asylum of the Daleks(?), Into the Dalek
Analysis of character: Father's Day or Dalek, Human Nature/Family of Blood(?), The Eleventh Hour, Mummy on the Orient Express or Heaven Sent

It's neither a complete list nor one I'm totally happy with at this point. I don't want three of the four 'famous enemy' stories to be outright Dalek stuff, I'm sure there's a better look at Ten's character than Human Nature, and I kind of want another type of story to put forward as well (I wanted comedies, but the only one I'd be happy to recommend is Robot of Sherwood). But that's why I'm asking you guys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As always, I'd definitely recommend The Eleventh Hour as an excellent introductory episode. Other episodes I think are very watchable without needing to know too much about the show/continuity/characters would be Dalek, The Christmas Invasion, The Runaway Bride, Partners in Crime, Midnight, The Lodger, The Doctor's Wife, and Flatline.

These are not necessarily the best episodes, some of them are even considered fairly weak by some. What they have going for them I think is that they're mostly self-contained episodes/stories that still give you a good sense of the flavor of the show. They also give a pretty good cross-section of the types of episodes the show produces. After that, you can ask your friend what they liked and didn't like, and from there suggest episodes that you think they might enjoy more. Plus they'll have dipped their toe in at that point, and might be more conducive to checking out some of the stronger 2-parters or knowing enough about the show to understand the big multi-episode finales/ongoing storylines etc.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Midnight could go into Horror/suspense or Character Analysis.

Famous enemy could be Nightmare in Silver, though I enjoyed that more than most did I think. It's also kind of goofy to see a Cyberman move at hyper-speed and only one to be seen as a major threat, then see loads of them in old episodes lurching around.

The Pandorica opens should be in there somewhere too, or do the episode before that to see all his enemies teaming up against him.

Oh, and Doctor's Wife is a great episode, but not the first one you want to show them. May as well start with Eleventh hour.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

For Ten's character I'd say midnight. it's also good as a stand alone ep.
The girl who waited should be in the list somewhere.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think The Girl Who Waited is excellent, but I also think it's an episode that works best with more intimate knowledge of 11, Amy and their history together (same with The God Complex. It's like Caves of Androzani, it's a really fantastic story and one I absolutely recommend watching, but NOT as an introduction to the show and especially not to Peter Davison/the Fifth Doctor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhyno posted:

David Tennant is voicing Fugitoid on the new TMNT series! I didn't recognize his voice until the newest episode where the character giggles and I was like "Doctor?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7snWptj-N9Q

He's actually a Professor, not a Doctor, thank you :colbert:.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, that's the reason I was pretty hesitant on both Human Nature and Heaven Sent; they're both pretty good, and they're both largely standalone plot-wise (the actual confession dial/Gallifrey ending of Heaven Sent isn't, but the really good parts of it are just fine in isolation), but to really get them you need to know the actual characters better.

Midnight is a fantastic selection for a look at Ten as a character, and I also thought of the Silence in the Library two-parter for that too. I'm not sure why I didn't think of them, given what brought this on was that I was mentioning how similar Tennant's role as Killgrave is to the Tenth Doctor, and those two really show it, Midnight especially.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just saw the latest episode and loved it. Are all the episodes like this?

I have never seen Doctor Who in my life.

What should I do next? Start with the Tennants? Start raw with latest Season? I'm not really keep on starting from original series all the way till now though...too much time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Artelier posted:

What should I do next?

This was a very different type of episode to what the show is normally like. The nice thing about Doctor Who is that happens a lot though, the format allows a lot of scope for experimentation. You could either start from the beginning of this season or the previous to catch up on the current lead actor's time in the role/major stories and see his relationship develop with the other main cast member. The only issue is that this season and the last kind of relies on familiarity with the show over the last few years, but if you enjoyed this latest episode despite the climax referencing something you have no idea about that might not be a problem for you.

The former lead actor had three seasons and a highly lauded 50th Anniversary special which was incredibly fun to watch. I highly recommend his first ever story - The Eleventh Hour - which is a tremendously enjoyable episode that only requires you to know that the Doctor is an alien who travels in a box that is bigger on the inside (which you learn in the episode too!). If you like that, consider watching all of season 5, which is regularly praised as arguably the best season of the revival of the show (everything from 2005 on).

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Artelier posted:

What should I do next? Start with the Tennants? Start raw with latest Season? I'm not really keep on starting from original series all the way till now though...too much time.

the show has been given a sort of soft reboot several times, the last being the start of season 5, which is a good season.
season 1 - 4 has a lot of good episodes, but they look really outdated now. They looked outdated when they aired, frankly. But both Eccleston and Tennant are good doctors.
The classic episodes are sort of a different beast then modern episodes and can be ignored if you don't like them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Artelier posted:

Well, officially the series is 52 years old, so no, going back from the beginning isn't probably all that wise.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Between this and Jessica Jones Tennant is quickly approaching late Leonard Nimoy's levels of appearing in assorted nerd poo poo.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Artelier posted:

Man, do I envy you. Start with Eccleston and work through. It's a bit of a rough start and there are definitely some terrible episodes throughout, but there is some brilliant television in there.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Artelier posted:

As mentioned The Eleventh Hour is the latest natural starting point for people news to the series. That leaves you with five seasons to catch up with if you like the series and decide to stick with it. If you don't, though, at the very least watch Blink. It's also a standalone episode that's not really indicative of the show's quality or format, but it's some of the best TV I've ever watched, so you should check it out for the sole reason of being able to say you've watched Blink.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cleretic posted:

Action starring a famous enemy: Dalek, Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel, Asylum of the Daleks(?), Into the Dalek

The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky
The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Journey's End? Big doofy actiony mess with Daleks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I feel like Waters of Mars would be a good choice, although I don't know if the whole "Time Lord victorious" thing hits as hard of you don't have that baseline of what the Doctor should be to compare to.

Comedy option: The End of Time :v: (hey, it worked for me)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Journey's End? Big doofy actiony mess with Daleks.

For a newcomer? It's a bunch of characters all showing up for (eventually) a big ol' celebration of the RTD era. It's a lot of fun to watch, but I imagine it would be pretty goddamn confusing if you didn't know who any of them were.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

No love for The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit? Rewatched it yesterday, it's held up pretty well, and is such a classic base-under-siege set up.

It has a surprising amount of quiet character moments too, in contrast to the break neck pace we've had since late RTD. 10s scenes down on the planet are great for showing just what he thinks of humans. Half awe, half paternal pride, half frustration.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Actually, good point, 'base under siege' is a category all its own.

Dalek, Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, 42 (arguably), Planet of the Ood, Silence in the Library, Midnight (room under siege?), Waters of Mars, God Complex, Cold War, Mummy on the Orient Express, Under the Lake

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, that's a pretty drat solid 2-parter, the second half doesn't quite live up to the first but it's still pretty good.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Cleretic posted:

Analysis of character: Father's Day or Dalek, Human Nature/Family of Blood(?), The Eleventh Hour, Mummy on the Orient Express or Heaven Sent

The Fires of Pompeii is one of Tennant's best episodes in that regard. You could watch The Runaway Bride first, if you want some lead-up, but it absolutely works on its own. There is just something very relatable about the whole dilemma.

Artelier posted:

If you loved Capaldi in this episode, you should start with series 8. He changes quite drastically throughout his first series, but it will probably give you more of what you saw in Heaven Sent than any of the other series. Series 5 is also a really good starting point, but It's tonally a lot less bleak.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
I always feel kinda sorry for people who's first introduction to a series is a completely atypical example of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I always feel kinda sorry for people who's first introduction to a series is a completely atypical example of it.

"This is really great, are there more like it?"
"No, none!" :haw:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ahahahaha. I watched Brain of Morbius again with the commentary, and they made many good points about the production values:

- A more darkly lit set actually made it more believable.
- All hail Bob Holmes!
- Real fire near a leading actor in a studio for extra thrill points
- Elizabeth Sladen was at pains to praise the pace of old Who vs NuWho
- Tom Baker laughing at all the sarcastic one-liners including his own ad-libs.
- No one knows all of the girls who played the Mara are because the detailed production notes were destroyed deliberately by the BBC as a matter of policy.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

ewe2 posted:

Ahahahaha. I watched Brain of Morbius again with the commentary, and they made many good points about the production values:

- A more darkly lit set actually made it more believable.
- All hail Bob Holmes!
- Real fire near a leading actor in a studio for extra thrill points
- Elizabeth Sladen was at pains to praise the pace of old Who vs NuWho
- Tom Baker laughing at all the sarcastic one-liners including his own ad-libs.
- No one knows all of the girls who played the Mara are because the detailed production notes were destroyed deliberately by the BBC as a matter of policy.

I really need to listen to the commentaries sometime. It’s so much fun to learn about the behind the scenes stuff.

kant
May 12, 2003

Rochallor posted:

I assume "bigger on the outside" technology also works with cities, so there might be just like six or seven cities (there's the capital city, and the one that got destroyed in Day of the Doctor, right?) with billions of people in each of them. I like the idea that the Time Lords have basically gone up their own asses instead of stepping out into the rest of their planet.

Maybe the Death Zone is just everything outside the cities, even.

Haha that's a perfect way of putting it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The_Doctor posted:

"This is really great, are there more like it?"
"No, none!" :haw:

I suppose it depends on what's good about the episode. Heaven Sent is 99% one character talking to himself, which no other episode is, and it's got a much more sombre and funereal atmosphere than any other episode I can think of, but the little linguistic tricks (that's a hell of a bird!) and long-foreshadowed ending plot twists are pretty much hallmarks of the Moffat era in general, so on the strength of this episode you could probably safely recommend at least trying out Eleventh Hour, with the caveat that as a kid's show the tone is generally way lighter. Overall I've decided that Heaven Sent is the episode I'd say "if you only watch one episode of Doctor Who watch this" as it's relatively standalone (Clara's just his lost Lenore, the Hybrid's just a mcguffin that's the reason he's trapped here) and so well executed.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
So, it's been a while since I checked, but do we still watch episodes on occasion in the IRC channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Attitude Indicator posted:

season 1 - 4 has a lot of good episodes, but they look really outdated now. They looked outdated when they aired, frankly. But both Eccleston and Tennant are good doctors.

If you grew up watching The Demon Headmaster on CBBC (:allears:), you'll have no problems with the first four seasons.

• Locked thread