Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Tempo 119 posted:

Make Missy a full-time companion

I would honestly be completely down to watch the show if it was just Missy travelling in a TARDIS/the TARDIS, casually destroying civilisations and/or being foiled every time by idiots, with no Doctor in sight. Of course with a hapless companion/stooge. I think just following the villain around for half a season would be a huge amount of fun. Think Pinky And The Brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm rather happy with the use of time travel to find the source of the problem. The Doctor's got a time machine, what's the point of having one if you don't ever use it as such in an episode?

Mainly because this totally breaks an incredible number of stories! Usually some kind of "We're part of events now!"-esque excuse gets invented to explain why it's not possible to do this. And/or the TARDIS gets isolated from everybody else. I was honestly slightly surprised that this didn't happen this time around.

Unrelatedly, have I missed something or is there no hyper-obvious recurring season-long arc thingy developing just yet?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

cargohills posted:

I think the season arc is the confession dial.

You are probably correct. Although, I assumed that the confession on the dial was "one time I met Davros when he was a child, and I left him alone to die in a minefield".

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Espilae posted:

I'm a little worried it's because the tumblr girlfans have left in droves because they can't ship the Doctor anymore.

Is that a particularly numerous viewer demographic?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

It's far, far, far, far, far too early to "panic" about the future of Doctor Who.

I don't know, cancellation is the Doctor's oldest and greatest nemesis.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Tell me that's Capaldi playing on the intro!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
A very polished two-parter. I'm okay with a show like this.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

squarerandom posted:

Honest question, so what was the point/reason/answer of/to the Silence. Because I don't remember that poo poo at all.

What? The arc with the Silence was wrapped up so perfectly, it might as well have had a bow on it. Don't you remember?

:ninja:

Lampsacus posted:

I actually wonder sometimes what would happen if they killed off the Doctor for real. Like, suddenly a Dalek shot him and he died and that's it. How would they continue, hypothetically? They'd probably have some charismatic companions commandeer the TARDIS.

Replace him with the Master and her companions. Keep the same TARDIS. Every week they battle a new monster, which Missy usually tries to take care of using violence and snark, but it doesn't ever work and the true resolution always ends up being compassion and understanding, which continually annoys her. All the while, we're furthering her season-long plot to take over the universe, which is eventually foiled by the dull evil banality and latent goodness of her companions. The Doctor comes back in the season finale, just as the joke is starting to wear thin.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

CobiWann posted:

This is such a great movie that still holds up today.

I was actually pleased to see Who finally implicitly acknowledging Bill & Ted as canon by also featuring a Time Lord with an electric guitar.

Seriously, if you were going to adapt Who for an American audience you simply couldn't make a better job of it. It's all heart, and it's a pure historical!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

As someone that was very "no, gently caress off you idiots, you don't need to explain that" when Moffat first started saying they were going to address the fact that Capaldi was in Pompeii and is now also the Doctor, I liked how that was handled well enough. Very low-key compared to my imagination where they were going to make some big, stupid fanwanky Thing of it.

This was a classic case of a thing where if there is some narrative mileage in the explanation then it's worth going back to, but if there isn't then it's worth ignoring forever. I figure Moffat looked at the coincidence and decided there was something there that was worth exploring, and I agree with him that it was. It was a good moment. As an example of the latter, consider the consequences of now dredging up and explaining that one Torchwood character who was ALSO played by Capaldi.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

"This is very important, Amy. We never, ever, ever interfere!"
Immediately rushes off screen to interfere

:allears:

I loved that moment a great deal and I thought that whole episode was terribly underrated for what it was supposed to accomplish. If you come into that episode knowing as much about the Doctor as Amy Pond does, it sets up so much and explains everything so perfectly.

Plus there's

"Sorry. Checking all the water in this area. There's an escaped fish." [taps nose conspiratorially]

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
The Name Of The Vincent, obviously

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

NarkyBark posted:

I just want something out of the new norm. Give me an alien, traitor or robot companion. Or an alien robot traitor?

I've been pitching a Dalek companion for like eight years.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

NarkyBark posted:

SM: We had to work out what else to do. At that point neither David nor Matt were under contract either. I had Jenna [Coleman]. And I did come up with a plotline that was just Jenna. It was a nightmare. We’re weeks from filming. A production team is assembled, people are doing storyboards and I don’t even know if anyone who has ever played the Doctor is going to be in it.

[...]

RT: Didn’t John Hurt say something like “I received the script on Friday and was on set on Monday”?
SM: It wasn’t quite as fast as that but it was bloody fast.

It's insane and terrifying to me how close you can get to making a terrible show and then suddenly pull an amazing one out of the hat.

I'm also amazed to learn how late all of it came together. I thought the reason the 50th anniversary special turned out so great was because it had the benefit of so much lead time. I figured the War Doctor idea came in relatively late, and there are numerous lines in the special where I can almost hear Eccleston saying them. But I had no clue how late.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Does the BBC have the rights to reproduce footage from the TV movie? I mean, if they ever, for some unknowable reason, want to show that "Half human on my mother's side" clip?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Forktoss posted:

Holy moley.

Capaldi's a hell of a Doctor.

Since the revival began I've always felt the actors portraying the Doctor to be a notch beyond the material they've been given, and they've often elevated relatively weak material with their performances, but with good material they always kill it, and after this episode Capaldi may be passing Smith as my favourite right now. I'm trying to picture how this episode could have worked with any of the other Doctors. I just don't think it works with anybody but Capaldi.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also are... are they actually going to follow on the Doctor Who movie reveal? :suspense:

I asked this earlier but I don't think anybody answered: does the BBC have the rights to reproduce any footage from the movie?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Enourmo posted:

But then people would crow about HURR CONTINUITY ERRORS THERE SHOULD BE A RAIL THERE UNLESS THEY SHOWED IT BEING REMOVED

It's almost as if the interior of the TARDIS magically changes shape all by itself sometimes :v:

qntm fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 30, 2015

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I figure any kind of situation like that has a few rickety early iterations which don't play out in exactly the same way, until eventually everything settles down into the steady, repeating cycle.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Related

http://qntm.org/responsibility

~10 minute short story.

Which given the site name has made me wonder if you're the same.

Yup.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

armoredgorilla posted:

Hi, I've enjoyed reading your short stories off and on for several years now. Welp see you later.

Thank you.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So, what the Hell was that Time Tot (Timepole?) doing in the middle of the desert? Do the Time Lords just have child sentries stationed across the planet in case the Doctor makes a dramatic entrance?

Give you fifty-fifty odds the kid was a shepherd's boy.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

remusclaw posted:

So, I wonder how Moffat was going to force the final regeneration into the Eleventh Doctors run if he had managed to get Eccleston in the 50th special? Where do you find the loophole there, or do you think he just waits?

I kind of would have hoped that he wouldn't have forced the "final regeneration" plot point into the Eleventh Doctor's arc at all, to be honest. It would have been relatively easy to alter The Time Of The Doctor to support this (maybe regeneration is impossible on Trenzalore, maybe the Daleks bring a regeneration-suppressing weapon to the fight, there's a whole bunch of ways to do it) without subtracting the important stuff about the Doctor apparently dying for real, for ever, and Gallifrey saving him. The reason I would have liked this better is because the decision to have Eleven be the Doctor's final regeneration was obviously a very late one, and constitutes a massive retroactive alteration to the Eleventh Doctor's character. I mean, the way it is currently, he knew all along that he was the Last Doctor, but this foreknowledge doesn't really come through anywhere in Smith's portrayal when realistically it should have been a prominent shadow hanging over him for his entire run. It just comes out of nowhere and it doesn't feel earned. This aside from the fact that it happened in the same year as the equally epic 50th anniversary special, which makes it not feel necessary either. I get that Moffat had probably been anticipating this story for decades and maybe didn't think there was much chance of him sticking around for another entire Doctor's run to see it through the way he wanted, but a little restraint would have been nice.

E: and tangentially: having Eleven aged all the way to a very old man by the time he carks it, thereby providing a perfect loophole for "extracting" him from Trenzalore for future multi-Doctor stories no matter how much the actor ages? That, Steve, is genius.

qntm fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 4, 2015

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not really fussed how many regenerations the Doctor has as long as it always gives rise to decent stories. That's why the specific count matters (mattered), because there is (was) a story to be told when the fellow finally runs out. (Also, if the Doctor isn't as essentially mortal as the rest of us it kind of breaks the show.)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Very pretty though.

Spatula City posted:

and Rachel Talalay remains one of the show's very best directors. :colbert:

Jerusalem posted:

Hell Bent gifs - regardless of whether people liked or disliked the episode, I think most can agree it was absolutely gorgeous looking.

Glad we're on the same page here. I love what the show looks like now. I was actually most impressed by the Hell Bent promo shot.

And More posted:

http://imgur.com/4v1smAc
In his defense, Moffat had already used up his best idea for a time lord regenerating into a time lady in The Curse of Fatal Death. What was he supposed to do?

I would have no problem with Capaldi regenerating into Joanna Lumley.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Oh, and Capaldi looks infinitely better this season now he's got a decent head of hair going on.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Zohar posted:

There's a survey on Reddit about series 9 with about 2,000 responses now which has some interesting results: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tQ3c-pOsxB_cvtIjcyaHfir7wYkJxcjSJ1cB7yCHgtA/viewanalytics

What moron decided to present these results as pie charts with no colour coding?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Rhyno posted:

There's still a large group who refuses to believe that Missy is really the Master since we saw no on screen regeneration.

Well, heck, we never saw a single frame of Christopher Eccleston's face when John Hurt supposedly regenerated into him, so obviously there's a second missing, secret regeneration between War and Nine which not even the Doctor knows about.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Oh snap, I love screenplays, are there any more of these? The screenplay/finished episode comparison is always fascinating to me.

E:

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So, what the Hell was that Time Tot (Timepole?) doing in the middle of the desert? Do the Time Lords just have child sentries stationed across the planet in case the Doctor makes a dramatic entrance?

qntm posted:

Give you fifty-fifty odds the kid was a shepherd's boy.

quote:

A noise makes him turn. Watching him nervously from the
shadows, a little boy. The equivalent of a shepherd’s boy.
He’s staring at the Doctor in astonishment - this man who
came out of nowhere.

E2: it also looks as if "Me" is indeed capitalised in the final line of "Heaven Sent".

qntm fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 20, 2015

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
It's difficult for me to articulate how great the guitar stuff has been with Capaldi, because it was something which Capaldi brought to the character himself and they worked it in organically. Can you imagine the results if there had been some BBC-level decision that "The Twelfth Doctor needs to be really cool, playing the electric guitar all the time during episodes, like a rock star!" and they specifically cast for that? It feels authentic and timeless in a way which so obviously isn't attempting to cash in on some fad that's external to the show, or appeal to any particular viewer demographic, or imitate any particular real figure.

And this look is so good, and 100% justifies the specs.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
A big part of it is probably what you, as an actor, want to do, not necessarily about numerically reaching the largest number of people or leaving the largest impact in popular consciousness, or being paid the most. Stage acting is a whole other thing entirely from television, with a whole other bunch of its own challenges and rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Stabbatical posted:

I don't think it was half as clever as it seemed to think it was

Sherlock's been like that since its first episode, so sounds like a conventional episode.

• Locked thread