Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
And because absolutely nobody demanded it...an index of all my reviews. Linked to my Wordpress so those without archives may enjoy.

X X X X X

Third Doctor
Classic Who
Inferno

Fourth Doctor
Classic Who
Robot | The Ark in Space | The Sontaran Experiment | Genesis of the Daleks | Revenge of the Cybermen | Terror of the Zygons | Planet of Evil

Big Finish
Fourth Doctor Adventures
Season One
Destination Nerva | The Renaissance Man | The Wrath of the Iceni | Energy of the Daleks | Trail of the White Worm | The Osiedon Adventure

Fifth Doctor
Big Finish
Main Range
Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | Loups-Garoux | The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Mutant Phase | Spare Parts | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Extron/Urban Myths | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye/Mission of the Viyrans

Fifth Doctor Box Set
Psychodrome | Iterations of I

Sixth Doctor
Classic Who
Attack of the Cybermen

Big Finish
Main Range
Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | The Apocalypse Element | ...ish] | The Sandman | Jubilee | ...and the Pirates, or the Lass that Lost a Sailor | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D/Urgent Calls | The Wishing Beast/The Vanity Box | 100

The Last Sixth Doctor Adventure
End of the Line | The Red House | Stage Fright | The Brink of Death

Seventh Doctor
Big Finish
Main Range
The Fearmonger | The Fires of Vulcan | The Genocide Machine | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-A-Boom! | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | LIVE 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time

New Virgin Adventures
The Shadow of the Scourge | The Dark Flame

Eighth Doctor
Big Finish
Main Range
Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo | The Creed of the Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twlight Kingdom | Faith Stealer | The Last | Caerdroia | The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was

Doom Coalition
Doom Coalition 1

Miscellaneous
Multi-Doctor
The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End

Companion Chronicles
Peri and the Piscon Paradox | Solitaire

Torchwood
The Conspiracy

Jago & Litefoot
The Haunting

Twelfth Doctor
Season 8
Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Hiest | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forst of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas

Season 9
The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake | Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I'll miss Clara, but man I would love to see Shona become the new companion.

Shona would be great, but I wouldn't mind Rigsy either. Been a while since the Doctor had a long-term male companion (Turlough?).

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wow. How the hell did I forget about this?

*looks at his arm*

Where did these black slash marks come from?

*remembers Wednesday’s GOP debate*

*draws on his arm again*

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

I like that Doctor Who villains aren't as transparently evil as Trump.

I don’t think he’s evil…just egotistical, full of himself, successful, and knows just enough not to know that he knows nothing at all.

Which, as Doctor Who has shown us, can be worse than being evil.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Trin Tragula posted:

Episode 14 is really exceptionally good for something that was written in five days with literal lawyers crawling all over it to make sure it didn't look anything like the Holmes/Saward draft. There are many excellent reasons to hate on PipnJane, but that they wrote 30 minutes of vaguely coherent television without any prior warning and prevented a show-killing failure to deliver a full series of episodes; that's worth some little recognition.

Sometimes it’s a near miracle that this blessed franchise, this show, this island, this Doctor Who has managed survive as long as it has.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

apophenium posted:

Been finally getting into Doctor Who after years and years of carrying nothing but disdain for it. So far I've only seen Eccleston's season and the first two episodes of David Tennant's stuff. Today I watched Vengeance on Varos and Revelation of the Daleks cause I really want to listen to the sixth doctor audios. Really bummed that these two serials are Six's 'best' from his televised run cause they were... not good. But enjoyable anyways. There's a lot of stuff to explore here and it's been really fun finding more about all the different doctors, especially 8 through the Storm Warning audio. Need to get around to watching his movie at some point. Hopefully I'll be caught up with the reboot by the time all the new episodes have aired.

Welcome! You're in for a treat as you discover the good and bad. Who among us doesn't remember the first time we saw something like The Ark in Space or Fear Her?

And you can jump right into Six's audios without knowing much about his time on TV either. Start with Evelyn's first story and enjoy the ride.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CaptainYesterday posted:

I do believe I said "US goons" :colbert:

For non-Americans who can't watch it, it's just a commercial promoting BBC America's new Sunday morning block of movie versions of Tom Baker serials called 'Breakfast with Baker'.

But...church...football...hangover recovery...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I've never felt shame before. Why start now?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
For those who care, my review of The Magician's Apprentice will probably go up tomorrow evening. I just got back from 25 straight hours of playing Dungeons and Dragons for charity and my brain is trying to recover.

Initial thoughts

- Michelle Gomez is awesome. She's putting her own unique spin on this particular regeneration of the Master and I hope they don't end up overusing her.

- Anyone else trying to pull off the guitar/tank scene would have fallen flat on their face. This was truly Capaldi's "moment of charm."

- It really was a "throw everything and the kitchen sink at the screen" type of episode, with a lot of the first half adding Moffat's trademark "awesome" moments but not a lot to the overall story.

- It's enough to grab the attention of a returning viewer, but not too good at grabbing a new viewer.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

'Where is the Doctor?'

When the skies of Earth are frozen by a mysterious alien force, Clara needs her friend. But where is the Doctor, and what is he hiding from?

As past deeds come back to haunt him, old enemies will come face to face, and for the Doctor and Clara, survival seems impossible.

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in The Magician's Apprentice.

X X X X X

Cast
Peter Capaldi (The Doctor)
Clara Oswald (Jenna Coleman)
Missy (Michelle Gomez)
Colony Staff (Jami Reid-Quarrell
Kate (Jemma Redgrave)
Jac (Jaye Griffiths)
Mike (Harki Bhambra)
Bors (Daniel Hoffman-Hill)
Voice of the Daleks (Nicholas Briggs)

Writer: Steven Moffat
Director: Hettie MacDonald

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV1tfG7uDtI

Gifs by: J-Ru

X X X X X

quote:

Davros! You don't look a day older, and I'd hoped you were dead.

quote:

I'm not here as your prisoner, Davros, but as your executioner.

quote:

Ah, I see you have been busy.

quote:

Powerful! Crush the lesser races! Conquer the galaxy! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING! ET CETERA, ET CETERA!

quote:

Davros made the Daleks. But who made Davros?

The Magician's Apprentice kicks off the ninth series of Doctor Who in slam-bang style. Steven Moffat throws a whole bunch of big ideas, cool scenes, and intriguing moments at the viewer along with a heaping of nostalgia. While there are enough plot ideas jammed in this episode for three full-length stories and it's tough to tell just what's important and what isn't, the performances by the leads, especially Peter Calpaldi and ESPECIALLY Michelle Gomez, are enough to hook the viewer for the first-part of this two episode story.

All over the Earth, planes have stopped in the sky, frozen in time. What could have been the opening stage of an alien invasion or a rip in temporal space is nothing more than Missy's way of grabbing Clara's attention in grand style. Missy has a problem – the last will and testament of the Doctor has made its way to her hands, which only happens the day before a Time Lord dies, and she needs Clara's help to find the Doctor. It turns out the Doctor is hanging out in 12th century England, partying like a rock star and soaking in as much applause and enjoyment of life as he can. It's not a celebration – it's a denial. One of the most fateful decisions of the Doctor's life is coming back to haunt him, a choice that influenced the history and fate of entire galaxies. Once upon a time, there was an endless war on a blasted planet, and the Doctor had an opportunity to save the life of a young child.

A child named Davros.

Moffat picks up right where Dark Water left off. The script for The Magician's Apprentice is jam packed – a desolate battlefield where soldiers utilized a mix of modern and ancient technology, a strange creature comprised of snakes gliding across the galaxy demanding to know the Doctor's location, planes frozen in the sky, UNIT calling Clara, Missy gloating and being crazy, the Doctor with a guitar and a tank, Daleks from across the classic and revival series making an appearance on a rebuilt Skaro, Davros living out his last days proud of his disobedient children, and the Doctor across from the young Davros with a Dalek weapon screaming “EXTERMINATE” in the name of saving his friends. That last one is a heck of a cliffhanger .

(Series 9 is supposed to contain several two-part episodes, and as someone who is watching the classic series for the first time, I've come to appreciate the art of a well-done cliffhanger. If all these two-parters mean more cliffhangers, then I'm all for the format change!)

On one hand, all these concepts and scenes, taking place very quickly in locations we're seeing very briefly before being whisked away to somewhere else, establish a sense of action and tension. Director Hettie MacDonald (whose other Doctor Who credit is a little episode called Blink) does a great job framing and shooting all the different locations, using multiple angles and framing to establish each place with little need for explanation or exposition. Viewers hop from UNIT to the Canary Islands to Essex to Skaro without a moment's hesitation, and there's always something happening, be it a strange creature, snappy dialogue, or a cool shot of a first-generation blue-and-white Dalek coming over the hill, to keep the viewer interested. The revelation of the handmines is an absolute standout moment and a feather in MacDonald's cap, while the room of Daleks from episodes through the series (including the freakin' Special Weapons Dalek from Remembrance of the Daleks) is a nice reveal.

On the other hand, all these locations and sudden changes in theme mean that there's no real sense that anything is important in the grand scheme of this episode, especially in the first half of the episode. A creepy gentleman with snake like features (and who turns out it made entirely of snakes) glides across the galaxy on one of those Hovetrax type deals looking for the Doctor at Davros' request (props to Jami-Reid Quarrell for his performance). UNIT is on screen for a few moments and it's Clara who does the bulk of the thinking for them (I hope UNIT's episode later in the season shows them for the top-notch international security force they're SUPPOSED to be). The Doctor's A Knight's Tale type moment isn't touched upon other than “The Doctor knows he's going to die so he's going all out” even though he's introduced amplifiers and a CHALLENGER 2 BATTLE TANK to the Middle Ages. Missy spends the scene in Spain killing two UNIT agents and in the next scene her and Clara are the best of friends. I get the vibe Moffat is going for and what he's trying to accomplish on a limited budget, but much of those episode feels like a better-acted version of Deep Breath, where things only really matter when the Doctor is on screen and kicking off the main plot by agreeing to go to Skaro. It's a half-hour prologue to the 90 minute story that's The Magician's Apprentice and next week's episode, The Witch's Familiar.

This season will be the last for Jenna Coleman, who will be departing to play Queen Victoria in an upcoming ITV production. I've made it known that I never felt Clara and the Eleventh Doctor clicked, but the relationship and chemistry between Clara and Twelve (and indeed Coleman and Capaldi) is very well done. Still, Coleman is stepping away from the show at the right time with three series under her belt as the Doctor's companion. Viewers have seen Clara grown from the all-powerful “Impossible Girl” to the Doctor's best friend, as well as a good schoolteacher with an inquisitive mind (the part where she circles the position of the airplane on the window to conclude it's frozen). But she's fallen into the same trap that's fallen many of the Doctor's companions throughout the revival, becoming a sort of “super agent” that UNIT calls when something goes wrong. While on one hand they're trying to get a hold of the Doctor, we also see that UNIT's basically paralyzed until Clara arrives and makes several key observations. Rose Tyler went from shop girl to someone who jumped universes, Martha Jones from doctor to military adviser, and Rory Williams from nurse to the Last Centurion. Traveling with the Doctor is supposed to make a person better, but Clara is slowly starting to slide into “all powerful awesome Mary Sue” territory, especially going from “Missy's opponent across the table” to “kind of joking with her” in the space of a few scenes. That's an observation on Clara and the scripts, mind you, as Coleman picks up right where she left off in Last Christmas with living her normal day to day life...until the Doctor needs her help. But there are some great moments where Clara appears...hurt? Confused? Bewildered!...when Missy proclaims herself as the Doctor's best friend and Clara as nothing more than his pet. It's a brief moment, but one I hope gets picked up on throughout the season. Clara is important to the Doctor, and the Doctor is important to Clara...so what happens when that all ends? And HOW does it end?

quote:

OK, cutting to the chase: not dead, back, big surprise, nevermind...

I love Michelle Gomez. Love her, love her, love her. While I really hope she doesn't get overused/overexposed this season, her portrayal of Missy/the Master is simply AMAZING. From almost the very beginning, this is a different Master, one whose regeneration has made her a little more crazy and a little more brazen. The smooth charm of Delgado has given way to the balls-out flirtatious nature of Gomez.

There's no doubt from the very beginning Missy is evil., which I liked. Missy is charming and intriguing, but she's also flat out crazy, the type of person who would ally with the DALEKS to screw over the Doctor because, well, she's evil. No redemption, no quest to change her ways, just “oh look I killed a UNIT agent with a wedding ring and some baby goo on his jacket.” Gomez plays it perfectly, not just the craziness but also her friendship with the Doctor. Maybe it's just a friendship from her point of view, but Missy seems to really want to help the Doctor, if not by giving him an army of Cybermen then by making sure he doesn't die and leave her the last Time Lord. There is a sense of sincerity in Missy's words thanks to Gomez's performance as she casually dismisses Clara as nothing more than a beloved pet, as well as seemingly being hurt when the Doctor calls Davros his archenemy, vowing to scratch his eye out.

And what about Davros? Julian Bleach returns after playing the megalomaniac creator of the Daleks in 2008's The Stolen Earth/Journey's End. It feels like we see the Daleks every season and sometimes they come close to suffering the same “burnout” that affected the Borg after repeated appearances on Star Trek Voyager. Davros' second appearance in the revival series is a huge moment, and one that Bleach does very well. It's tough to emote underneath all that makeup, but Bleach uses small movements, such as slowly raising his metal arm as well as letting his head remain slumped over during most of his conversations with the Doctor, to showcase one of this episode's big themes – Davros is dying. He's been dying for ages (and probably been dead a few times, but when has death every stopped a major Who villain?) but even with his dying breath, he both curses his children (who have bounced between killing him for “not being a Dalek” and kept him alive as their “revered Creator” with all the various stops in between) and praises them as they wait for Clara to run, soaking in her fear and anxiety, for to be the supreme race in the galaxy isn't about simply killing everyone else, it's about enjoying that moment according to Davros. It's the one thing that separates him from the Daleks and something Bleach does very well in showcasing.

And Peter Capaldi.

I could just let this GIF do all the talking, but there's more to it than this. Capaldi gives us two different types of Twelfth Doctor in The Magician's Apprentice – we get the “screw it” type of Doctor, one who tells the Web of Time to take a flying leap and does whatever he thinks is “cool.” Once, it was wearing a bowtie. Now, it's riding a tank into gladiatorial combat, and while Twelve probably wouldn't have a banana daiquiri like Ten or a shot of tequila like Six, I can imagine him downing tumblers of whiskey. But when told Davros has summoned him, and that Davros “remembers,” it's a lot like the scene in Dark Water where Twelve realizes Missy is the Master. The devil-may-care look on the Doctor's face is replaced with something else. Shame. It's a great moment from Capaldi as he realizes just how his past decisions, one he hoped Davros had forgotten about, is now coming back to bite him.

I have more to say about Capaldi's turn in this story, but there's something else to address first. In a lot of ways, The Magician's Apprentice is a direct follow-up to perhaps the best Doctor Who story every made, the Fourth Doctor serial Genesis of the Daleks. In that story, the Doctor has a moment where he could wipe out the Daleks once and for all by destroying their “nursery” before realizing that such genocide would make him no better than the Daleks. Throughout the series, both classic and revival as well as the audios and novels, this moment is brought up time and time again, including Resurrection of the Daleks where the Fifth Doctor is moments away from executing Davros in cold blood. The Doctor has grappled with the consequences of his decision for all his lives. He made the decision because he didn't want to CHOOSE to be a mass murderer. The Doctor has killed, caused death and allowed others to die but only because they was no other option or because of the surrounding circumstances. So now, here we are, the Doctor finding himself on the other side of a field of handmines, a scared child clutching the Doctor's sonic screwdriver calling for this stranger to help him. At the end of this story, the Doctor is pointing a Dalek weapon in the child's direction, telling the young boy that this is the only way to save his friends. THIS is also one hell of a cliffhanger and I know I'll be tuning in next week.

But...Moffat has already had Clara influence the Doctor as a child during the end of Listen, and some fans screamed that Moffat was “screwing with the canon.” Clara was also evident throughout the Doctor's entire lives, all the way back to when the First Doctor and Susan stole a TARDIS, fixing the timeline that the Great Intelligence was unweaving. And now, here's Moffat touching upon an all-time, undisputed classic story, and these same fans are loudly saying that Moffat is doing nothing more than re-writing the entire history of the show to fit HIS vision.

Personally? I think it's bollocks, especially in a show about TIME TRAVEL. I've never felt the Doctor needed any type of original story beyond An Unearthly Child, and I prefer companions who are just friends who want to see the galaxy and don't turn into all-powerful omnipotent beings (Sarah Jane, Evelyn). But I'm willing to trust Moffat and Capaldi, two men who both love the show and probably saw Genesis of the Daleks when it originally aired in 1974. I do believe Clara's time in the TARDIS should be coming to an end, and I do hope Missy isn't (seemingly) in every episode this season. But, the Doctor's final confession, his last will and testament? Having a quality actor like Capaldi wrestle with the “Let's Kill Hitler” dilemma as something OTHER than comedy? All those two-parters this season? THE RETURN OF THE ZYGONS?!? Unless this somehow ends with Twelve, Davros, and Missy becoming wacky roommates in a Three's Company/Man About The House sitcom on BBC Four, I'm willing to take the story that The Magician's Apprentice laid out in front of us and trust the second part to deliver on it.

Random Thoughts
- I liked seeing the different places the Colony Staff visited looking for the Doctor
- For the record, the song Twelve was playing on the tank was “Eruption” by Van Halen
- Doctor Who filming in Spain – somewhere, John-Nathan Turner approves.
- I still don't know how I feel about the Doctor's outfit. It's mainly the pants.
- That can't be Skaro – there wasn't a mutant clam!

Cobi's Synopsis – The first episode of a two-parter, The Magician's Apprentice stuffs a lot into 60 minutes, but only the back half of the story has any consequence. Still, Peter Capaldi, Michelle Gomez, and Julian Bleach put on performances that set the table for the story's second episode.

Next up - With his greatest temptation before him, can the Doctor resist? And will there be mercy?

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in...The Witch's Familiar

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 21, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Diabolik900 posted:

If you say so.

Sorry. What I meant to type (and fixed) was "there are enough plot ideas jammed in here." You could do an entire episode on planes frozen in the sky. You could do an entire episode on the Doctor having his last party. You could do an entire episode about the Doctor going to Skaro because Davros summoned him after remembering his childhood.

It's like how you could have done an entire episode about the Doctor being voted world leader, or Missy being captured and escaping, or the Cybermen rising from the graves, as opposed to trying to cram it all into an hour.

docbeard posted:

I totally get what you're saying and also I desperately need to see this now.

Someone in the last thread wrote about Six and Davros becoming roommates and arguing over the dishwashing schedule...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I think having a cell phone in class depends on the district/teacher. Some places are cool with it as long as your phone is on silent (unless you're in a family emergency like waiting for news about a baby/death), some places have the kids lock up their phones or put them on the teacher's desk for the duration of class, and some outright ban them from the classroom or on campus.

Then there's my wife and several of her colleagues who encourage their use as an academic tool as long as the student isn't being disruptive/looking at some online forum.

Also, can I say I love that the Radio Times posters are back?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Forktoss posted:

One of the soldiers in the beginning warns the others about "clam drones" though! :haw:

No way! That's awesome!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

thrawn527 posted:

No it wasn't.

I'm pretty sure it was. Maybe not the whole thing, but those opening tabs sounded a hell of a lot like it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It was the Doctor Who theme

Well lock me in a jail cell and call me Victoria Waterfield.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

This guy has the best job in the world :allears:

Little known fact – that’s Sylvester McCoy inside as the operator. Only a Scot can tickle a Scot.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreezingInferno posted:

So I listened to that 6th Doctor Last Adventure thing over the weekend. It was pretty good. Who was it that reviewed that in the last thread again? Was curious as to what they thought of it.

https://cobiwann.wordpress.com/2015/08/19/doctor-who-the-last-sixth-doctor-adventure-end-of-the-line/

https://cobiwann.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/doctor-who-the-last-sixth-doctor-adventure-the-red-house/

https://cobiwann.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/doctor-who-the-last-sixth-doctor-adventure-stage-fright/

https://cobiwann.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/doctor-who-the-last-sixth-doctor-adventure-the-brink-of-death/

I enjoyed the story, with the first and third episodes being the best, the fourth one a solid finale, and Colin Baker and India Fisher managing to save the second story. There are a few flaws - the second story is weak and there's very little use of Bonnie Langford - but you could feel Jayston and Baker putting everything they have into their roles. It's a fitting finale for the Sixth Doctor, all the way to even explaining Seven with Six's hair!

Episode update - the kiddo was blown away with the Doctor about to shoot Davros. "The Doctor would never do that...would he?!?"

So I got to show her the "Do I have the right" speech from Genesis of the Daleks and had a ten minute discussion on the concept while she was getting ready for bed. I've either blown her mind or begun her on the path to becoming the Punisher.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Mark Gatiss, Toby Whithouse, Chris Chibnall, Nicholas Briggs...there a lot of options out there when Moffat steps down.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

Nick Briggs is a mediocre scriptwriter. His dialogue lacks flair and his plotting is workmanlike at best. Stuff like Creatures of Beauty is an aberration.

Then isn’t his work just as good as most of Gatiss’ Who output?

Frozen Time. :colbert:

Besides, even if his writing isn’t up to task, his production skills are top notch. Could be a solid showrunner in the unlikely event.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I can't begin to tell you what I'm thinking right now.

Edit - this might be why Big Finish shut down their forums on Monday. To avoid the potential overload.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 23, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Ten meets Jamie and they get strapped into a machine that makes them swap accents.

Kilts EVERYWHERE.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Returning to Earth, the Doctor, Sarah and Harry arrive in the Scottish Highlands to investigate the mysterious destruction of several oil rigs in the North Sea.

Local superstition speaks of a deadly threat that lurks in the mists on Tulloch Moor, but the truth is even more disturbing; the legendary Loch Ness Monster is a terrifying cyborg beast which is controlled by the Zygons, an advanced alien race who are desperate to ensure their own survival, at any cost...

Tom Baker is the Doctor in Terror of the Zygons.

X X X X X

Cast
Doctor Who - Tom Baker
Sarah Jane Smith - Elisabeth Sladen
Harry Sullivan - Ian Marter
Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart - Nicholas Courtney
RSM Benton - John Levene
Duke of Forgill/Broton - John Woodnutt
Sister Lamont - Lillias Walker
The Caber - Robert Russell
Angus - Angus Lennie
Huckle - Tony Sibbald
Munro - Hugh Martin
Radio Operator - Bruce Wightman
Corporal - Bernard G. High
Soldier - Peter Symonds
Zygon - Keith Ashley
Zygon - Ronald Gough

Producer: Philip Hinchcliffe
Writer: Robert Banks Stewart
Director: Douglas Camfield
Original Broadcast: 30 August – 20 September 1975

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cmj12piWog

X X X X X

Terror of the Zygons serves to both kick off Tom Baker's second season as the Fourth Doctor while also closing the book on the UNIT era of the Third Doctor and is everything about classic Doctor Who distilled into a single serial. Silly looking aliens that also serve as intriguing protagonists. Special effects that both help and hinder the overall story. Tom Baker as the Doctor in word and deed. A female companion in constant peril. A lot of running around. A disused Welsh quarry. And somehow, thanks to some fine directing, production work and an memorable alien menace, it all clicks together to form a solid and memorable story.

After the events of Revenge of the Cybermen, the Doctor, Harry, and Sarah Jane find themselves called to the moors of Scotland by the Brigadier. UNIT is currently investigating the destruction of several oil rigs in the North Sea by a force strong enough to completely demolish the structures in a manner of minutes. While the Doctor navigates local politics, Harry and Sarah run afoul of a strange alien force – one who can assume the shape of their victims and have plans for the destruction of humanity, with the aide of a creature of Scottish mythology...

I'm honestly surprised to find that it took Doctor Who almost twelve years to tell a story involving the Loch Ness monster. Inspired by the global interest in the mythical monster that swept the world in the 1960's Robert Banks Stewart started out penning a serial called Loch Ness/The Loch Ness Monster/The Secret of the Loch/The Secret of Loch Ness/Secret of Loch Ness, but as the script writing process progressed, Philip Hinchcliffe suggested a change in both the story's focus and the story's title. In order to work around the special effects limitations of showing the Loch Ness Monster (called the Skarasen), Stewart rewrote the script with the hostile aliens as the central foes, and as such the story was renamed Terror of the Zygons. This was definitely for the best, as the Skarasen's SFX were easily the weakest part of the episode while the biotechnology of the Zygons was one of its most interesting features. The change allowed Stewart to ground the script with a sense of realism, but one has to first realizes that from the very beginning of the story, this script is as Scottish as all hell. Aside from the moorish filming location (Scotland by way of West Sussex), we've got a small Scottish village with bagpipe music playing over the first 30 seconds of dialogue, accents a plenty, an innkeeper with “second sight,” Scottish nobility with a manservant literally nicknamed “Caber,” and even the Brigadier himself in a kilt (no surprise as his name IS “Lethbridge-Stewart”). There's a also a hint of current 1970's events as well; Terror of the Zygons aired the very month the first barrels of North Sea crude oil were pumped from several new oil rigs dotting the coast, causing tensions between the longtime fishing industry and the booming oil business. The story itself is very basic – an alien race has infiltrated a small Scottish village with the overall goal of conquering the entire Earth via humanity's total destruction. There are a few moments of action, a few moments of humor, some good cliffhangers including a smash bang one in the first episode that reveals a Zygon in all its front-suckered glory, and a satisfying conclusion with a moment tacked on that brings it down slightly. If one were to look at just the script, Terror of the Zygons would probably fall squarely in the middle in terms of quality – some good moments, a few bad ones, but nothing that would make it stand out overall.

What makes this story special is primarily the production work by the staff. Director Douglas Camfield and cameraman Peter Hall both do a superb job in presenting the action. Camfield keeps the Zygons hidden away during the first episode, with close-ups of their claws and eyes adding to the mystery until the big reveal during its cliffhanger, while Hall does a great job keeping everything and everyone in shot, especially during the “running around” scenes that UNIT and the Doctor do so well. Camfield also makes more mundane moments, such as a conversation between Benton and Angus being intercut with closeups of the Zygons spying on them. The true standout moment is during the second episode, where Harry's alien duplicate is hunting Sarah Jane through the hayloft of a barn. For a few moments, Terror of the Zygons goes the route of Peeping Tom as Camfield shoots the nail-biting scene like a tense slasher movie.

In many ways, Terror of the Zygons serves as the swan song for the UNIT era. During the Third Doctor era, many an adventure focused from the Doctor's time with the international organization as their scientific adviser. Although UNIT would feature in several other Fourth Doctor stories, this serial serves as the final regular appearance for both Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and John Levane as Sergeant Benton. Philip Hinchcliffe decided that UNIT's presence meant less time on-screen for the Doctor and wanted to focus more on Tom Baker's larger than life persona. Perhaps realizing that this was the proverbial end of the road both men are in fine form here, with Benton being the everyman soldier who does as ordered and does it very well and the Brigadier as the officer who does what he does for Queen and Country, including doing everything he can to steer the Doctor on track towards the destruction of the oil rigs (“(Harry) will be fine. He just needs time.” "Yes, well, time is the last thing we have, Doctor. Another rig's just been destroyed."). We would see Benton one more time in The Android Invasion, but this is truly his final story, while the Brigadier would pop up in The Mawdryn Undead, The Five Doctors, and Battlefield as well as a handful of Big Finish audios.

Terror of the Zygons would also be Harry Sullivan's last story as companion (aside from a throw-away appearance in The Android Invasion). The writers and Hinchcliffe had originally expected an older actor to be cast at the Fourth Doctor and picked Ian Marter as someone who could take on the majority of the physical work. With Baker able to handle his own stunts, Hinchcliffe went against the advice of script editor Robert Holmes and wrote Harry out at the end of this story. While this did give us the absolutely classic Four/Sarah Jane dynamic that defined Tom Baker's run, it's a bit of a shame because I enjoyed Harry's time on the show. Ian Marter nailed the quintessential old-school British man, and for all the talk of him being an imbecile during his time in the TARDIS, Harry was capable (smashing the Zygon console to save the Doctor in the third episode), brave (assisting a fallen oil rig survivor while under rifle fire) and determined to do the right thing, as well as being absolutely demonic during his scene in the barn. In the end, Harry was a fine one-season companion, and I'm bummed that we didn't get a few Big Finish audios with him as Ian Marter passed away from diabetic complications in 1986.

I've joked that Sarah Jane often seems to be the damsel in distress, from her kidnapping in Robot to her constant state of despair in The Ark in Space, but this has been mixed with moments of leadership and bravery as seen in Genesis of the Daleks. Terror of the Zygons sees Sarah as both captive (locked in a compression chamber) as heroine (rescuing Harry from the heart of the Zygon's ship). But also seen an inquisitive Sarah Jane as she investigates the Duke's records, as well as...well, Elisabeth Sladen being “cute” as Sarah Jane sticks her tongue out at the Duke behind his back in a nice moment of charm. Sarah Jane's turn her helps set the stage for her upcoming time as Four's lone companion, and it's a very bright future indeed for the duo.

The second season of Tom Baker's time as the Doctor was where the Fourth Doctor was truly established. His larger than life onscreen presence was one of the reasons that UNIT and Harry Sullivan were written out, to ensure as much screen time for Baker as possible. Baker's Doctor is much more alien than his predecessor, having to be convinced by the Brigadier that the destruction of the oil rigs should be of vital interest to him. There's also a very creepy scene (well shot by Camfield) where the Doctor hypnotizes Sarah to slow her breathing down that adds to the Doctor's aura of mystery. What Baker really sells are the Doctor's sudden mood swings and his on-purpose overreaction to the simplest of comments (Duke - “I do believe your serious.” Doctor - “OH, YES, VERRRRRRY”), going from deadly serious to flippant and jaunty in a moment's notice (You can’t rule the world in hiding. You have to come out on to the balcony sometimes to wave a tentacle – if you’ll pardon the expression!”) without any effort on his part. The Doctor's brilliance is on display as he single-handedly sets the Zygon's ship to explode, after a moment where he uses his own body to channel an electrical current to short-circuit a doorway (and it's here that viewers get a first hand listen at Baker's loud screaming that will continue throughout his tenure) as well as giving a hint of his physicality during his final confrontation with Broton.

The weak point of Terror of the Zygons is easily the Skarensen model. The Loch Ness Monster was supposed to be the central focus of the story, but the special effects just...weren't very good. In Robot, the Chroma Key inserts of the Robot didn't take away from the plot itself, but here the Skarensen is just so off-putting that it distracts from the overall story. The climax of the story, where the creature swims up the Thames and attacked a gathering of politicians, is done via the Doctor, Sarah, and Harry starring off-camera, with a few inserts and a lot of piped in screaming, before the Skarensen swims away, and that's the end of it.

The titular Zygons themselves are easily the high point. Despite only appearing in this story during the classical era, the Zygons made enough of an impression on viewers and fans to have made numerous appearances in the expanded media, as well as playing a key part in the 50th anniversary story The Day of the Doctor. The Zygons' home planet was destroyed by an unknown catasrophe (later clarified at the Time War), and a colony fleet is on the way to Earth to turn it into their new homeworld, utilizing their ability to shapeshift in order to The Zygons' plot is a little silly (destroying oil rigs? Six Zygons using the Loch Ness Monster to convince the world to surrender to their awe-inspiring might?) but there's no denying just how gruesome they look.

James Acheson did a wonderful job creating the costume, crafting a unique looking creature that simply oozes with what I can only describe as “biology.” What could have been a silly costume is enhanced by the prominent pyramid/cone shaped head and the multitude of suckers adorning their body. The set designers go one step further by infusing their technology with a biological element – a lot of arteries and veins, knobs overflowing with skin and muscle and bone...the control panel actually made me queasy a few times while watching this episode, not because it was disgusting, but because it was disturbing and VERY well done. It all added to the Zygons' uniqueness, added by the performance of John Woodnutt, who acted in several Who episodes as well as numerous other science-fiction series, as the Zygon leader Broton. While Broton is your standard alien warlord who refuses to admit he's been beaten, Woodnutt adds a level of menace that shines through the costume and makeup. The Zygon's shapeshifting effects are well done for the era, adding a level of paranoia to the proceedings as the viewer doesn't quite know who is a Zygon and who isn't (Sister Lamont's murder of Angus the innkeeper is another well done and incredibly terrifying scene, kudos to Angus' actor for his small but memorable part).

Cygnia posted:

I wanted to take a few moments to deal with the season premiere tonight before approaching this classic episode.  I'm not spoiling anything, don't worry.

MOTHERFUCKING COCKSUCKING SON OF AN UNNAMED WHORE!

*ahem*

Now that that's out of the way, "Terror of the Zygons" was an episode that really stuck with me growing up, mainly because I am of Scottish heritage.  So, kilts and Loch Ness?  I'm all over that!  But it was the Zygons themselves that had that impact, even though they only appeared once during the classic series (fun fact: there was supposed to be a Zygon in the lost episode "Shada"!).  They were insidious, hissing and wet, like poisonous mushrooms growing in the rot.  And they could take the form of us -- hiding in plain sight!  That's a pretty primal fear, coming from the same company that gave us green-tinted bubblewrap.

And then Moffat had to hike his leg up and pee on everything in his attempt to mark every story in "Who" as his.  But I digress...

Other scenes that stuck with me: Zygon!Harry trying skewer Sarah Jane with a pitchfork, saying nothing.  The beacon stuck to the Doctor, calling out for the Skarasen to eat him.  And the Doctor hypnotizing Sarah Jane to survive the compression chamber (Cobi's right -- that WAS pretty drat creepy).

I would be remiss if I didn't mention "Sting of the Zygons" by Stephen Cole and featuring the Tenth Doctor and Martha.  Very cool book and a nice twist reminiscent of early Fantastic Four with the Skrulls.  Seek it out if you get the chance!

Random Thoughts
- Doctor - “Oil an emergency? Huh! It's about time the people who run this planet of yours realised that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense. Now, the energising of hydrogen...”
- While filming the escape from the Zygon's ship, the crew placed the model of the ship almost directly in front of the camera and placed the actors on the other side of the quarry, where the truck they were jumping out of was hidden by the model. Very well done.
- Sarah grabbing the UNIT phone as it rings before sheepishly handing it over to Benton.
- Sarah - “How do I know you're not a Zygon?” Harry - “Come on, old girl.” Sarah - *relieved*
- As I said before, this story is simply as Scottish as gently caress].

Cobi's Synopsis - Terror of the Zygons is a solid story all-around, with good acting, good production values, a good script with a handful of memorable moments and an alien menace that makes an immediate and lasting impression.

Next up – The Doctor and Sarah answer an intergalatic distress call that takes them to a far flung planet at the edge of the universe...

Tom Baker is the Doctor in...Planet of Evil.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I chalked it up to the real Duke turning out to be an OK guy once rescued, and the Zygon was just keeping up appearances.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I hope you don't mind me saying (I enjoy reading your reviews but never really have much to add, I'm afraid) that this Cygnia fellow you quote each time always seems awfully cross. Maybe he or she should have a lie down? :v:

Cygnia is one of my best friends and someone who has seen drat near as much classic Who as Boston’s PBS channel ever aired. She’s also a drat good writer who has been out of work for a very long time. I asked her to contribute her thoughts to my reviews as both a non-goon opinion and a way to get her writing, even for a little bit.

She also LOATHES Moffat as a misogynistic type who can only write women when they’re being coy and flirty towards his male characters and really wants Chris Chibnall to take over as showrunner and…well, she has an outlet now. But I’m willing to take the good with the bad…

(And your statement with your avatar just makes it even better)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MikeJF posted:

HE WROTE CYBERWOMAN

Oh, no, no, no, no. :ohdear:

No, I meant Paul Cornell, the guy behind Human Nature/Family of Blood and Father’s Day. She’s a huge fan of his.

I blame the Pope’s visit. With all these street closings my morning commute has been shot all to hell and so has my routine. I’m having my morning coffee at 7:30 instead of 5:30 so I'm more brain fried than usual.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see. I did not mean to be rude, of course.

Didn't seem rude at all. No need to apologize!

She also pointed out to me this morning that the DVD of The Two Doctors is out-of-print and going for nearly $200 bucks now thanks to Jimmy Savile...hopefully it'll be re-released by the time I make it that far in my classics watch.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ebay had them for $200 this morning when I checked…

And Time-Flight was going for $50 bucks on Amazon.

TIME-FLIGHT!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The Sontaran Experiment has a history of the Sontarans in the classic series called Built for War. Kind of neat, including the crew slagging off on the swimming pool scene from The Invasion of Time, and Colin Baker with one of the most…not ice burns, not cringeworthy, but somewhere in between…lines I’ve ever heard…

Colin Baker posted:

Jimmy Savile is much more frightening than the Sontarans. And I’ll leave it at that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

They were practicing for their big championship match against the Imperial stormtroopers that weekend.

You know, has anyone ever considered the Stormtroopers were lousy shots on purpose? They wanted the Millennium Falcon to get away so they could discover the location of the hidden Rebel base! It was all for show!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Phil Collins solo is better than Phil Collins Genesis.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

2house2fly posted:

The sonic screwdriver unquestionably represents a dick, see Day Of The Doctor when they compared them. So the Doctor giving his screwdriver to Davros represents his shame at what he's done, throwing away his manhood, as well as being a commentary on the paedophilia scandal that has forever tainted the British entertainment industry.

Well now I'm seeing this moment in a whole new light.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I liked this episode. Got a bit of a classic era vibe off of it with a lot of long scenes and small monologues.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Trapped and alone on the terrifying planet Skaro, the Doctor is at the heart of the evil Dalek Empire - no sonic, no TARDIS, nobody to help.

With his greatest temptation before him, can the Doctor resist? And will there be mercy?

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in The Witch's Familiar

X X X X X

Cast
The Doctor - Peter Capaldi
Clara - Jenna Coleman
Missy - Michelle Gomez
Colony Sarff - Jami Reid-Quarrell
Davros - Julian Bleach
Boy - Joey Price
Voice of the Daleks - Nicholas Briggs
Daleks - Barnaby Edwards, Nicholas Pegg

Writer: Steven Moffat
Director: Hettie MacDonald

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhuVg5vKGwQ

Gifs by: J-Ru

X X X X X

The Witch's Familiar is a solid follow-up to the story that began in The Doctor's Apprentice but does so with very little carrying over from the previous episode. While the script sidesteps some of the plot hooks from the previous episode and continues to have Clara be a little too friendly with Missy as well as perpetuating the revival's failure to make the Daleks scary, the acting triumvirate of Peter Capaldi, Michelle Gomez, and Julian Bleach once again carry the story to an satisfying conclusion.

Missy and Clara are dead. The TARDIS is destroyed. The Doctor threatens to kill Davros. Only one of these sentences is true. With no allies, no TARDIS, and no sonic screwdriver the Doctor has only his wits to survive in the heart of the Dalek Empire. Even as Missy and Clara, alive and force into an unlikely partnership, make their way back into the city to rescue the Doctor, Davros offers the Doctor the one prize that's always tempted him – a chance to eliminate the Daleks once and for all, if only the Doctor would grant a dying Davros a merciful death. But when the Doctor refuses, another side of Davros emerges. The Doctor knows Davros' playboook by hearts...but if the heartless creator of the Daleks can show a brief moment of regret, can the Doctor risk overlooking granting his archenemy one final moment of absolution?

The narrative of The Witch's Familiar follows a series of familiar steps, with two moments (one to open the episode and the “twist” at the beginning of the end) that anyone whose the least bit familiar with how fiction works won't blink an eye at. When looked at as two stand-alone episodes, very little from The Magician's Apprentice carries over to The Witch's Familiar. There's no mention of Davros in the handmine field until the very end, with the same going for the Doctor's last will and testament. Why would a summons from Davros lead to the Doctor's devil may care actions in the 12th century? Damned it I could explain it, because The Witch's Familiar sure doesn't. The cold open explains that the Doctor always has a plan to escape, and he would only send his last will and testament if he knew it was the end...but he HAD a plan, as viewers see. Even if he knew it was a trap, he had a way out of it...so why act like he was going to die? Hell, it doesn't even bat an eye at the concept of Clara in a Dalek shell...you know, the Souffle Girl?

What The Witch's Familiar does do is something that has been a criticism of Moffat even since “The Great Intelligence/Impossible Girl” story arc and amplified with Clara and a young Doctor in the barn during the events of Listen. Moffat's script touches upon two key components of Doctor Who's mythology – the physiology of the Daleks and the Doctor's past on Gallifrey. In one of the episode's inspired moves, Missy places Clara inside the empty shell of a Dalek as a plot to infilitrate the city. It turns out that the Daleks, thanks to the direct neuron connections that link their brains to their armored shells, are incapable of declaring themselves as anything other than “A DALEK.” Any concept of love or compassion can only be spoken as “EX-TER-MIN-ATE” and it's that display of emotion that arms and reloads the Daleks' weapons.

Missy posted:

Cybermen suppress emotions. Daleks channel them.

A little later in the episode, Davros makes mention of something in a very casual manner when asking why the Doctor fled Gallifrey. The dialogue implies that the Doctor was part of some program or project that focused on creating a hybrid – half-Dalek, half-Time Lord. The viewer really didn't get anything beyond that moment relating to the topic. But it was enough to perhaps set up what would be this season's story arc – why did the Doctor leave Gallifrey, and what IS in the Doctor's last will and testament?

Now, these moments were enough for some fans to get up in arms, proclaiming that Moffat was doing nothing more than rewriting the entire history of the show to fit HIS view of what Doctor Who should be, including the Doctor just throwing around regeneration energy like it's pixie dust. To which I say – so did Russell Davies. Remember how the Time War got rid of the Time Lords and Gallifrey. Remember Philip Hinchcliffe, who did everything he could to turn Doctor Who into a televised Hammer Horror film? Remember the (Andrew) Cartmel Masterplan? Moffat is doing what every showrunner, script editor, and producer from Verity Lambert to John Nathan-Turner (and hell, Gary Russell and Nicholas Briggs) has done, and that's tell the story of a madman with a blue box the way THEY want to tell it. Down the road, when Moffat has stepped down and someone like Paul Cornell or Toby Whithouse or Howard Overman or Edgar Wright has taken over, it will their job to put their imprint on Doctor Who. And if that means creating a new generation of Daleks who fire their weapons from a miniature cold fusion reactor and the Doctor left Gallifrey because the Time Lord version of Columbia House was knocking on his door, then that's what their legacy will be until the next showrunner comes along and rewrites it.

So what did work in the script? The opening scene with the Doctor running from a group of invisible assassins twinged the chords of nostalgia with some really cool effects.

Along with director Hettie MacDonald, the script places on screen an absolutely horrifying concept...a Dalek graveyard, which also functions as a sewer. Daleks don't poop, but they decay. And when they decay, they end up here. It's a sickening moment that does serve to drive home just how devoted to the cause of killing the Daleks are – their DNA is hard-coded so that they never die, and even when thrown to the side to be nothing more than tissue coating the walls, they still scream. It's chilling...but sadly, it makes the concept of the Daleks scary, as opposed to the Daleks themselves being scary. For an enemy that made children dive behind the couch during the 60's and 70's, the revival Daleks haven't been scary since 2005's Dalek, and perhaps during Army of Ghosts/Doomsday. Episodes like Asylum of the Daleks and Into the Dalek gave viewers a look into Dalek society and how a Dalek functions, but the focus of those episodes wasn't on what Daleks do best – exterminate. The idea of a Dalek is scary and Daleks are completely capable of being scary...but much like the Cybermen, the revival Daleks need a bit of a break and a good writer to make their next appearance a truly memorable and unnerving one.

But to be fair to this episode, the emphasis isn't on the Daleks so much as their creator. Julian Bleach is absolutely mesmerizing as Davros. Under all the makeup, Bleach still manages to portray a variety of emotions. First, he taunts the Doctor about the fate of his companion, all but begging him to pull the plug on his life support cables and simply end his life, his pure contempt and anger for the Doctor pouring out of every ancient pore. As soon as the Doctor resists the temptation to end Davros' life, Davros immediately switches gears. It's a testament to Bleach's acting that he does the impossible – he makes the viewer feel sorry for Davros. His reaction when the Doctor gloats that Gallifrey stands is unexpected and catches the Doctor off guard...joy.

The Daleks were created because Davros wanted to ensure that in one form or another his people, the Kaleds, survived. He knows what it's like to lose your entire race...and he pleads with the Doctor to keep the Time Lords safe. ”If you have redeemed the Time Lords from the fire, do not lose them again. Take the darkest path into the deepest hell, but protect your own … as I have sought to protect mine.” The creator of the Daleks, who consistently upgrades them and does what he can to make them the ultimate force for destruction in all of time and space...sheds a tear. And even though everyone and their grandmother was screaming this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko-Yj6ZL9qE

...I'm willing to bet that there were a lot of viewers who were sold by Bleach's performance, that maybe, just maybe, seeing the decrepit Davros open his eyes (probably all part of the trap) and shed a tear means there's was a sliver of hope. It's a rare moment in a Moffat story where an emotional moment is actually EARNED, and it's all thanks to Bleach's incredible performance. Of course, it all goes wrong, and Bleach does give us a fantastic moment of triumph that only Davros can.

For Bleach to sell the moment, he has to have someone on the other side willing to buy in. Peter Capaldi...ok, one hand, the Doctor is very “Doctor” in this episode, with lines like “The real question is...where did I get the cup of tea? Answer: I'm the Doctor, just accept it” and “Admit it, you've all had this exact. Whose up for dodgems?”

On the other side, Capaldi shows just why he's the best Doctor in the revival when it comes to pure acting (just above Eccleston in my mind) simply because of how he reacts to Davros' final words. I'd love to just write out the whole thing, but it wouldn't come close to doing their interactions justice. Two longtime enemies, both who have tried to kill each other and wipe out their respective races, who have clashed time and time again through television, comics, and audios, and would probably be the last two beings at the heat death of the universe fighting over the last sharp object. And here they are, sharing a horrible joke.

Of course, it all goes wrong...but the Doctor knew it would go wrong, and as Missy and Clara said, the Doctor always knows he's going to win. What makes the whole thing work is because of this question - why would the Doctor go see his archenemy? Because Davros asked. And deep down inside, the Doctor believes in hope. Hope that there's a thin thread of compassion, decency, and regret buried deep inside Davros...and maybe, just maybe, by one way or another, there's mercy.

Clara, oh Clara...there's one thing I've always wanted – a story where we see the Master with a companion, someone traveling alongside that they haven't killed YET. The Witch's Familiar shows just how the Master would treat their companion – by lightly threatening them, using them as bait, encouraging them to do something risky, and casually throwing them away without a second though. The chemistry between Jenna Coleman and Michelle Gomez is off the charts, and every moment the duo is on screen is a delight. But...Clara Oswald has shown she's a good liar, quick on her feet, and can improvise at a moment's notice if need be. She's very clever...and following Missy around without concern about that fact that in the previous episode she killed members of UNIT as well as threatening over and over again to kill the Doctor's companion. She willingly climbs into a Dalek because Missy asks, jokes with her about having a stick, and just acts like she's not letting a little thing like mass murder come between friends. It's tough to talk about Coleman's performance here. She's wonderful while inside the Dalek, seeing the enemy from the inside and flat out panicking when the Doctor is about to kill her, her words being twisted by the armor's programming, but it's Clara who gives the Doctor the idea to save the young Davros. The companion, as usual, gives the Doctor a quality of mercy, and in that regard Coleman's great, but Clara's just a little too buddy buddy with Missy for my taste. She should have at least been given the change to serve as Missy's conscience at some point.

And Michelle Gomez. Oh, Michelle...

...I'm sorry, I'll post that again.

I'm calling this right now – Michelle Gomez is the best Master since Roger Delgado. It's no slouch on the other Masters (yes, even Eric Roberts), but Gomez is just everything the Master should be. She's classy when she wants, bold and commanding when need be, and underneath it all flat out INSANE AND EVIL. I could see how some people might find her “whacky” performance off putting, but when she's on screen I simply can not take my eyes off of her. It's not just because she's a beautiful woman (Jack Davenport, you lucky lucky man) but her presence and charisma is dangerously enchanting. She has a plan, a very clever plan, maybe just as clever as the Doctor...but where the Doctor keeps his clever nature just a bit deferred, Missy is much more coy and about. The Doctor is “I'm clever, shut up,” and Missy is more “I'm clever, go on, ask me about it, I'll never tell.” She's also not afraid to get her hands dirty, with the best use of a brooch since Scherzo as she gets up close and personal with a Dalek. But much as Davros almost made viewers believe he was going to die on the side of the angels, there's no doubt at Missy's evil as she sets Clara up to be killed by the Doctor, pushing and pushing the Doctor to kill this rogue, insane Dalek who keeps screaming for “MERCY.” And when called out on it? “Oh, would you look at that, oops.” I love Michelle Gomez to the point that I hope we don't see her again this season...a little Missy goes a long way, especially when that Missy is concentrated to the point of being Evil's equivalent of 190-proof Everclear rectified spirits.

The Witch's Familiar There are some valid criticisms regarding Clara's characterization, some changes to the “canon” of Doctor Who, and the events of The Magician's Apprentice having little to no bearing on this episode. It's up to the actors to carry this story. While there are some memorable moments such as the Dalek sewers and Clara in a Dalek shell, it's Peter Capaldi, Michelle Gomez, and Julian Bleach who hold the banner high. It's an interesting start to Series 9 as it potentially lays the seeds for some answers concerning the Doctor's past. The question for Moffat in this case shouldn't be “What are you going to do,” but instead should be “Is what you do going to be good?”

Random Thoughts
- The episode contained hints of the classic series, with throwbacks to Genesis of the Daleks and a couple of long scenes with some quasi-monologues.
- The return of the Hostile Action Displacement System from The Krotons, The Girl Who Never Was, and Cold War
- Vampire Space Monkeys. Wow.
- The Sonic Sunglasses? Jon Pertwee drove fast cars in his stories. If Peter Capaldi wants to wear sunglasses, Peter Calapdi can wear bleedin' sunglasses.

Cobi's synopsis – The acting is what carries The Witch's Familiar, with several revelations about Dalek society bolstered by an eye-opening performance by Julian Bleach as Davros.

Next up - When an underwater base comes under attack, the Doctor and Clara must save the frightened crew and defeat an impossible threat...

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in...Under the Lake.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 28, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

2house2fly posted:

Because Davros was asking the Doctor to come and see him and the Doctor was fairly certain that it would be a trap but also felt that he had an obligation to go, so he sent out his confession dial and threw himself a goodbye party. Missy and Clara discuss this in the cold open.

But if the Doctor knew it was a trap, he had a plan to get out of it...so why would he act like this was the end especially if he had the "I'm going to regenerate the sewers" plan? Unless he absolutely believed this was the end, but I never got that sense from his actions or the dialogue.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

I would like to have her just randomly show up in a story that has nothing to do with her what so ever, like the Claws story.

I would love this too. Just suddenly Missy shows up when no one expected she would. Sadly, in the Internet age...well, you know what they say...

...drat it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Sometimes "Doctor Who" is good. People just can't agree on when that is.

#Let's go Doctor!#

#Doctor sucks!#

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That was more for the fake-out where you think that the little girl is actually Davros and the factions are the opposite way round to the way you think they are as it was for anything else.

But it has the worst Davros makeup in the entire series – phone cords and a Hefty bag.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rochallor posted:

Hasn't Skaro already been back? I thought it was Skaro that was in the opening of Asylum.

Asylum opens on the ruins of Skaro with the Doctor lured there by a humanoid Dalek.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Moving away from episode chat for a second...they're starting to reveal the guest list for (Re)Generation Who in Baltimore in March for any Mid-Atlantic fans.

Peter Davison
Colin Baker
Frazer Hines
Deborah Watling
Wendy Padbury
Nicola Bryant
Sophie Aldred
Terry Malloy
Nicholas Briggs
Robert Shearman
Nev Fountain

I know last year they added Andrew Cartmel at the last minute, and I hope Sylvester McCoy comes back this year as he's the kiddo's favorite Doctor. It's a smaller con (this is year two?) but run by a group of people who do cons through the Washington DC area. After the War and I met up last year and had a blast (he got to drink and talk about Operation Paper Clip with McCoy while I had a nice discussion with Malloy about The Archers of all things). Worth a visit if you're nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For reference,

Tamm:

Ward:

[edit]

You edited out the bit of the quote that I was referring to :mad: DOCTOR WHO PRODUCTION IS TERRIBLE AND BAD

I'm going to need more photographic evidence before I can draw a proper conclusion.

• Locked thread