Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Let me put it this way, this episode was so bloody great, it made me remember I had SA account. One thing confuses me, though, with all the moaning Ten did about his regeneration, how does the Doctor saying he's afraid of death count as a confession?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Well anything is always possible, but when the concept of a confession dial is first introduced to us, it's explicitly stated to be the Time Lord version of a Last Will and Testament, and something to be delivered to the owner's closest friend on the owner's last day.

I mean sure it's the Master who tells us all this, and we could end up learning all kinds of new information in the next episode that states that there is no such thing as a confession dial anyway or something. But I see absolutely no reason to assume that generally speaking a Confession Dial is meant to be by default a personal torture device carried around by Time Lords, which makes no sense at all. Occam's razor dictates that this particular "confession dial" is far more likely to be exactly what this episode made it out be, a trap for the Doctor disguised as something entirely different.

Actually, wasn't the confession dial programmed to find the Master upon the Doctor's death? Seems like there's a perfectly good reason for this particular dial to work like that.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

So, what the Hell was that Time Tot (Timepole?) doing in the middle of the desert? Do the Time Lords just have child sentries stationed across the planet in case the Doctor makes a dramatic entrance?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

I'm going to assume the kid was an Outsider with no access to the city, who probably hid for a while until he thought the scary glasses man forgot about him.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

It's amazing how this series has turned around for me in its last couple of episodes. Now, I don't think any episode of Series 9 has been bad, exactly. Hell, it's produced the only Found Footage thing I've actually enjoyed. It's just that after so many Earth (or Sol) bound stories, it's really refreshing to have an episode so awash with otherness. Though, ironically, I think the budget for [i] Heaven Sent [/i} is why we haven't strayed far from 21st century Britain this year.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

I always feel kinda sorry for people who's first introduction to a series is a completely atypical example of it.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

So, it's been a while since I checked, but do we still watch episodes on occasion in the IRC channel?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I actually kinda like this episode, so I don't quite get the hate for it around here. The premise of the time travel allowing that weird family structure is also selected for his taste.

I and many others here would probably call it peek Bad Moffat. You've got the Manic Pixie Dream Girl poo poo, some really corny gags, a couple forced sentimental bits, and the sidelining of what could've been a very thought provocting story, especially by children's telly standards.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

S308? The Gunfighters? (Or episode 3 of the Myth Makers, depending)

It was established that Susan was from another time and place, but how much that actually came up varied a lot by episode as the writers didn't really follow through on the original character concept (which is why CAF left)

In fact, I'm fairly sure the Doctor being older than he looked was only established sometime during Troughton's run. Early writers seemed to be a bit vague on whether the Doctor and Susan were true aliens, or futuristic humans from some other planet. Of course, the latter was probably set in stone by the time they gave Susan psychic powers.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

I actually didn't mind the actor they got for Rassilon, though that may be coloured by him playing a pretty effective baddie in Being Human. Anyway, why exactly was the Sisterhood of Karn there at all? And am I the only one confused by why a race of time travellers would be into prophecies?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

CobiWann posted:

I just wish those fifteen minutes had involved a random President and not Rassilon. Granted, what Rassilon did with the Confession Dial and the level of dickishness involved fits the character...

I almost suspect Moffat was trying to show that the Time War was so bloody weird and traumatic, the Time Lords basically lost all respect for Rassilon, or even awe. Imagine if aliens invaded, Jesus came back to help, but he did was give the aliens access to our nukes. I'm probably giving him a little too much credit, though.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

New rule: Moffat scripts are no longer allowed to use the word "story"

Also, references to new media will be punished by death.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

I look forward to the day when the Doctor gets around to reconnecting with Susan, and she goes off at him for not contacting her for God knows how long, despite being willing to kill the whole universe for a random Earthling.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

I want a mid-2000s companion who constantly makes references to myspace, yim and hotmail. Come on, Dr. Who, poke fun at yourself. The old show used to do that.

No, no it is not. But on the other hand it is easy to watch, even good stories (the Daleks, the Aztecs, etc) can get really boring when you have thirty minutes of Ian trying to crawl through a cave or Barbara trying to do something that everyone knows has no chance of working. The single episode nature of Marinus makes it an excellent candidate for modern viewing when compared to other early Who serials.

Upon watching Heaven Sent, and thoroughly enjoying it, my mum commented that if the episode were produced in the early 60's, we'd have seen every second it took the Doctor to dig that hole.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

anastazius posted:

I think part of it was to bookend this series with her. I can't remember if she was in the first episode, but she was definitely in the prologue to the first ep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-fFyrxbSes
(if this in blocked in your country let me know and I'll try and re-upload it somewhere, it kinda fills in quite a few plot gaps)

She's also a great actress, and that's never a bad thing.

I really do like her, it's just the actual in universe reason for being in the finale is kind of murky. They certainly don't do much with her.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Anyone want to know what Terry Nation's US Dalek series would have been like, Big Finish did an adaptation of the pilot in their Lost Stories range. It was released in a set with the Second Doctor story "Prison in Space".

Just be warned, "Prison in Space" is so backwards and sexist, it actually causes time to flow in reverse when played.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Huh, I'd heard about the Tom Baker thing, but not Troughton's secret other family. I mean, we all knew the First Doctor had those other grandchildren stashed in the spare console room, but still.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

She actually showed up to a convention she was scheduled to appear at without cancelling? Whoa.

Has anyone ever told you your avatar is slightly terrifying?:spooky:

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

saucerman posted:

That's boring.

Plus, it's kinda weird that Danny grew up in a children's home if he had aunts and uncles. Or were they all arseholes?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe his dad was a tomcat and he had a bunch of half-siblings he didn't know about.

Cerv posted:

they could've still been kids/teenagers themselves.

True, still, I feel like there was so something weird going on in the writer's room when it came to Orson. Like, maybe they originally planned for Clara to have been pregnant with Danny's kid or something?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Stabbatical posted:

To be fair he acted the poo poo out of that monologue, regardless of how well written it was.

Face it, if Capaldi joined the BNP, the UK would have elected a fascist government into power by mid-year, the man can make anything sound at least a little compelling.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Also, it seemed like the kids symptoms predated her sister's disappearance. Were the tree spirits loving with her head since birth? Actually, there's a thought, if bullshit psychic powers have the exact same symptoms as TV Autism, and impact a person's life in the exact same way, is there any meaningful distinction?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Dabir posted:

Hey hey here's a cracker of a joke!
Q: Why was River Song really arrested?

A: For smuggling!

*Hoists gun* How many regenerations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Like I said, just pop her disc into an Android body and she's good to go.

Why are you trying to give them ideas?

• Locked thread