Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

oh come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

oh poo poo, that clip of Genesis

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Teleport disguised as vapourisation. Again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That was pretty fun but when it finished I was left with the sense that maybe ten minutes of episode had actually happened.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

just_a_guy posted:

In the sense that time flew by or lack of content?

In the sense that it was over and I was surprised because I thought they'd barely got started.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Missy was pretty great but I didn't like how she kept going on with little interjections like "traps are my flirting" and "what if you kissed an ugly", like Moffat couldn't get through a scene without having her remind us she's a woman in case we all forgot. And as for "Davros made the Daleks, but who made Davros?" Well I dunno Doctor, possibly the thousand years of pointless, horrible war you were just going on about?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Havent watched it yet, please don't tell me this is going to be this season's overall plot question.

As 99% the answer is going to be the Doctor himself.

I suspect it will be resolved by next week.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Eight snipers firing really quickly at these specific parts of me will be enough to kill me and stop my regeneration, there, now you can talk to me in safety." - lying liar who lies

"OK, we'll believe you completely." - Earth's greatest line of defense against alien invasion.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He didn't have a personal teleporter that makes it look like you've been vapourised on-hand, and of course he was willingly going to his death.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The people she killed at the cafe were vapourised for sure though, it was orange.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Maybe the Hand Mines were put there by the Time Lords?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

I actually think exactly the opposite. Clara being "killed" isn't much of a cliffhanger at all because we all know for an absolute fact that Clara/the TARDIS can't be actually dead and will definitely come back. Ending on the Doctor facing down Davros as a child is a much bigger cliffhanger because although we can be fairly sure he's not going to actually kill him it's much less certain than Clara staying dead.

The point of cliffhangers isn't necessarily to go "Oh no! Will they make it out this time?" because of course Batman escapes the Joker's stupid giant marble run or whatever it is this week, it's how they make it out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They're actually anti-Weeping Angels, when you leave they freeze up into stone, perfectly positioned to Macbeth their next guest.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Diabolik900 posted:

Still seems better to me than when Rose "died".

When she came back, was that Rose from the dead?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nice rant but a weird mishmash of old and new tech is an established part of the war on Skaro.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I actually missed Davros telling snakeman to get in the cables and it was still really obvious that they were snakes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's that, there's also the Hartnel gif which I'm sure Jerusalem is itching to post.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Burkion posted:

I have yet to see the episode due to goon friend being out of town, but that's one thing I hope they address. I knew they wouldn't address how the gently caress Davros is still around, though it would have been nice- but the Doctor doesn't just have regeneration energy whenever. He has to be mortally wounded for it to be in effect. Like, that's the only rule laid down about the stupid stuff so far. His regeneration is only in effect for 24 hours after he does it, which HAS been a plot point a few times in the Revival.

Eleven healed River Song's hand in The Angels Take Manhatten. Which makes even less sense because Eleven didn't have any regenerations left.

cargohills posted:

If you were new to Doctor Who, you could conceivably argue that the existence of the TARDIS "came out of nowhere" for you.

Please don't talk bollocks.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

cargohills posted:

Hyperbolic, I admit, but they're both major parts of the show.

Not even close to equivalent and I think you know it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hypothetical situation: Kate Stewart tells the Doctor "You know, my father always loathed you." and this is just accepted as the way things always were, and is in some way a key plot element of the episode. Would you dismiss that as 'this show is built on inconsistencies'?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Am I misreading you are are you literally and actually calling people who don't like an aspect of Moffat's scriptwriting wrong?

In any case, the argument is incorrect. "Being good at scriptwriting" doesn't mean being good at all aspects of scriptwriting. It doesn't mean all your scripts are good. It doesn't mean that all your scripts are of a consistent quality. It doesn't mean you don't have little peccadilloes or specific turns of phrase that you go back to because it flows easily. And you can't just assume that every single word is carefully sculpted and weighed, even from authors with less to do than Moffat, as is necessary for your argument to hold. And even if it was correct I'm not sure why you're making it, as it's not like people are crawling out of the woodwork to call Moffat lazy.

If there's one thing, just one thing, about Moffat's writing (especially for Clara) it's

well it's right there ^^

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sec, Thay, Caan, Jast.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And More posted:

Yeah, Moffat's show looks incredible. Even better, we got two episodes written by Neil Gaiman, an episode with Warwick Davis, and a special starring John Hurt. If the show has been mismanaged, it absolutely doesn't show.

Yeah, it didn't show for twelve episodes. That's the problem.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'd rather have had both tbh.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just like the sonic screwdriver.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I disagree. Eleven came off very Steve Urkel, a total dork trying way too hard to be cool and most of the time fooling no-one but himself. Twelve at this point feels a bit more like a Doc Brown, an old crazy dude having fun doing what he loves and because of that, he comes off as actually pretty fuckin' cool.

And, of course, the iconic TARDIS sound

Well that's how they're played, but the words coming out of their mouth could go with either.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I know this is a continuity sperg thing, but it bugged me since I just watched the respective episode (although I can't for the life of me remember which one):

12th Doctor: Ghosts don't exist, but now they do, isn't that exciting?!

11th (maybe 10th)? Houses absorb latent psychic energy all the time, that's why so many houses have ghosts!

8th: Not only do houses absorb psychic residue from violent deaths, if they get enough they become sentient themselves and begin craving more and more of it to sustain their lives.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NarkyBark posted:

Random observation: did they have to use the original Star Trek phaser sound for the exploratory sub?

Good episode. It felt old-school- slower pacing, but to it's benefit, characters had time to breathe and for the mystery to grow. Not a lot happened but it kept me drawn in with the mysteries and observations. And this has to be the most dialogue Capaldi has had in an episode yet. Loved the cue cards.

Edit: not a fan of the "see it and you're now a transmitter" thing but all right. Does the Doctor realize that since he's now a transmitter, that hopping around space and time might cause a lot of unforeseen problems?

No no, you're able to be made into a transmitter by whatever's controlling the ghosts if you die.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Witch's Familiar was up against England losing at Rugby, I expect Under the Lake to do a lot better.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is this a joke, because Under The Lake was also up against England losing in the rugby

Let me tell you how much I care about the rugby.

I forgot OK

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Don't listen. Listen and you're dead.
https://youtu.be/NnTSbFeWwro

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

God I hope the series hasn't peaked.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

So.... "Minister of War", blatant foreshadowing or throwaway 'make it sound future-y' reference?

And if the former, odds that it's Michelle Gomez in a trouser-suit?

Given that she mentioned Harold Saxon in the same breath, I took Capaldi's response to it as kind of a playful jab at RTD's hamhanded arc words. It could be a genuine attempt at them, though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

echoplex posted:

That was my favourite part. I thought Peter nailed it, I could watch that all day. I was going to ask if that happened often, but going by the replies in this thread, obviously not. That was some good direction!

Such a great suit, I thought. Peter Serafinowicz seemed a bit 'soft' for the voice in my head but I'm not sure how much horrifying it needed to be for the target audience.

I did such a brilliant digitally painted prop to go in this scene and it didn't show up :negative:

There's a couple of shots of the hearse at the base covered in morning frost which I thought were really, really nice. That was quite a sight at 6am.

Peter 'Darth Maul' Serafinowicz?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

That doesn't make it a good idea.

Well no, that in particular doesn't, but the fact remains that it is.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think they did imply he started hia own party, yeah. Votes wouldn't be a problem, with the mind control and all.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I quite liked that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That Doctor Who Game Maker thing isn't especially realistic though, looks more like Cushing than Capaldi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Don't forget banished to another dimension along with everything you could ever have wished for! That was a terrible fate.

• Locked thread