Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

“Nick, do you seriously think I'd explain my fanfic ideas to you if there remained the slightest chance of you rewriting the outcome? I signed the contract thirty-five minutes ago.”
:golfclap:

"I'm not a motown musician, Nick."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I think Clara understands this/has the same conflict on a subconscious level - to truly heal and move on from Danny's death she actually has to face up to it and try to figure out what to do with her life now, but it is more comforting and exciting to run away from the problem and pretend everything is all right by just filling her every spare moment with adventures with him.
Entirely backed up by all the text and subtext about The Doctor being a person who runs. They're leaning on that pretty heavily this season.

I've loved every episode this season so far. Kill the Moon guy being back for next week might be our first dud for me, but I feel like Capaldi's really hit his stride, and it's going to make the already pretty great series 8 a lot easier to rewatch, as we'll know that him being a giant dickbag to everybody is part of an existential crisis that leads him to the happy punk rock grandpa place he's at now. We've been seeing this since Hartnell, really. The show is so genius that from drat near the start, it wrote the actor finding his legs as the character into the show and made it apply as much to the character as the actor.

I showed somebody very close to me The Eleventh Hour today, as she didn't like Doctor Who and gave me one chance to show her that it could be good when it was on. She liked it. But she hated what a jerk Matt Smith's doctor was to everybody. Young Amelia, especially.

It's funny, because when I watch The Eleventh Hour now, I know Eleven so well that those moments seem adorable and amazing. But when she said it, I recalled how resentful I also was about his doctor being a jerk at first, and telling people to shut up all the time. I completely forgot that I also thought he was a giant turd to young Amy about all the foods he wanted. Now I just think it's the best.

I think my exact words at the time were, "If they really wanted to make me like Matt Smith, they wouldn't have had ten's last words be 'I don't want to go,' then replaced him with an rear end in a top hat." Now he's My Doctor. But so was Eccleston. And so was Tennant. And this is keeping in mind that I marathoned the entire relaunch from Eccleston to Day of the Doctor in about a month.

If history repeats itself, Capaldi will also be My Doctor, and so will the next one.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

IT'S ME JRU

MUGABE WAS ME, ALL ALONG JRU
Aw, son of a- *Checks thread.

CobiWann posted:

Aw, son of a bitch!
Beaten like a government mule.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

In episode 4x07, Itchy makes a xylophone from Scratchy's ribcage, and strikes the same rib twice, but it produces the same tone both times. I sure hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean, TVIV.txt and all, but GOOD GOD, a lot of you intake media the wrong way.

I mean, maybe it's working in (lovely) film off and on since 2001, but so many people focus on exactly the wrong things.

Real life science has absolutely nothing to do with narrative science. When a show tell you something, then pays off another thing based on what it told you, there is ZERO REASON to apply actual physics to, say, the gravity shift of two million years of dead skulls.

I understand. I really do. I, too, used to try to be more clever than the things I watched. I wanted so badly to be smarter than the writers who told me stories. But eventually, I realized that I was just the guy at the magic show folding his arms smugly and turning to everybody around me going, "You all know magic isn't real, right?" Pro wrestling has this subset of fans, too.

Yeah, dude. We all know it's fake. You're the only one acting like we don't all already know it isn't real.

Television and movies operate on their own set of rules, and they change almost every episode. If we're told something is important in the first act, and it's contradicted by actual science, or something said over 45 years ago on the same show, try to forget that. The thing said in the first act is all that matters.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

cargohills posted:

Sperging about science when watching doctor who is stupid

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

This episode was loving great but man, how has this show not fixed its problems with sound mixing in ten whole years. This episode had some truly fantastic music ruined by either the arrangement being too bombastic or just the music itself being too loud in the mix.
How many devices have you used to view the episodes? I have this problem on my television, but not on my computer.

A lot of televisions these days post-process the audio and video without any way of shutting that off. Even "normal" mode, in many cases, screws with the audio.

Filmmakers are kind of furious about TV manufacturers between this and upconverting to 48FPS with predictive frames, making everything look like 1980s soap operas.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How is it earned? We're talking in a narrative sense here, just because the hero does something hard doesn't mean they get to act completely uncharacteristicly for the next scene
You're arguing that the culmination of an entire season whose story culminates in The Doctor realizing he's gone too far involved The Doctor going too far, and that this isn't earned?

It was the entire point.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I love Shane Black-isms in scripts.

EXT. - HOLLYWOOD MANSION - THE KIND I"M GOING TO BUY WHEN THIS MOVIE IS A MASSIVE loving HIT - DAY

Also the easiest way to get your script rejected outside of poor spelling and grammar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You never say you're staying forever unless you hate money. You always publicly say that you could leave any time for negotiation leverage.

• Locked thread