Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What's Cyber Monday?

In America on the fourth Thursday in November, we celebrate Thanksgiving, a quiet reflection on our blessings amidst family and friends. But that didn't sell anything, so now it's about buying, cooking and eating as much food as you can. But that didn't sell enough, so now the next day is a big sale day called Black Friday, when people completely forget all that stuff they already have that they were supposed to be thankful for and flock to stores in great stampedes of want.

But that still didn't sell enough, so now there's Cyber Monday, where people are supposed to do the same thing, but online, so Amazon and UPS can get a cut.

Sandwiched in between, incidentally, we have Small Business Saturday, where you're expected to remember that the $1500 you plunked down for a home theater in Wal-Mart is probably driving some poor mom-and-pop shop out of business, so you go to the farmer's market and buy some apple butter, and maybe a coaster that smells like cinnamon for some reason.

America: We eat our own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
re: Gallifrey -- I'd prefer most of the Doctor's mysteries remain obscure, but one I'd like explained is why Gallifrey is as barren and inhospitable as Skaro. You can't blame the Time War; it was like that in Invasion of Time. (And the practical reason is "because quarries.") The New Series has chosen to keep things that way, though, and I'm sure they would have given the place some more climate variety if they'd been inclined to.

It rankles me a bit that the civilization that has ostensibly Figured Everything Out and Owns All of You is living in a little bubble on a shattered planet. Or heck, maybe it's an excellent metaphor for colonialist capitalism, but I'd like it if the show made that a bit more intentional.

If you want to mess with the show's mythology, tell us about that. Keep the big stuff shrouded in mystery.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

It's because Gallifrey is immeasurably ancient and the world itself long ago died. The grand cities are contained within the baubles because that contains their false atmosphere and ecology. That city might look small, but every building and corridor is bigger on the inside. If you measured the actual size of that city it would cover the entire Earth and theirs a few dozen of them on Gallifrey.

In the absence of further official guidance, I will accept your head canon. :)

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Acne Rain posted:

both were actually the master, who has a car shaped tardis, and she goes around running over the doctor's companion's families because she thinks its funny.

She was also in the car that hit Donna in turn left.

The CARDIS.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Wheezle posted:

They're probably used to him becoming Lord President out of nowhere.

Pre-revival, the Doctor was elected President at one point. When he inevitably ignored his responsibility and ran off at the end of that story, they patiently elected interim Presidents and waited for him to return. He came back occasionally and often played the "I'm President" card for tactical advantage, but whenever the danger was past, the Time Lords would point to the artifacts of office and clear their throats politely, and he would sneak out again and let them resume their constitutional crisis. So if you're steeped in the show's lore, it's reasonable to think that's what happened here.

However, they did an awful job explaining this in the last episode, and I have trouble thinking Rassilon would tolerate the "interim President" arrangement in any event. So the most sensible interpretation of the events of this episode is, in fact, a military coup.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Astroman posted:

In Trial of a Timelord he was definitively told he was deposed.

Oops. I always forget about Trial of a Timelord.

Usually, that works in my favor.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

2house2fly posted:

He said he thought he was forgetting something, and then when he sees the diamond wall he remembers "bird" and it all falls into place:

[...]

DOCTOR: But I can remember, Clara.You don't understand, I can remember it all. Every time. And you'll still be gone. Whatever I do, you still won't be there.

This line is especially interesting. Out of context, "I can remember it all. Every time." sounds pretty definitive. But it's juxtaposed against "You don't understand." Who, precisely, doesn't understand? "Clara" is a figment, onto which he's projecting (part of) himself. Is he saying a part of himself doesn't only resist the conclusion (it clearly does) but also doesn't even understand the argument?

More broadly, the whole scene is occurring in an imaginary TARDIS, with an imaginary companion. While the line sounds pretty definitive on its own, it's contextualized in a lot of fantasy, ambiguity and metaphor. It's quite reasonable to interpret "remembering" as metaphorical, too -- as him abruptly realizing what's going on (including the hysteresis, hence "always then" and "every time"), and being hit with the enormity of what he's already sacrificed, and what he's already committed himself to sacrificing, right the hell now.

You can, of course, interpret it the more literal way you have, which leaves less wiggle room. My opinion: It's deliberately vague. If forced to place bets, I'd assume he only figuratively "remembers," because it doesn't demand that I make up rules about how the teleporter works to get his memories in the next iteration. But I don't think the text wants to definitively answer this question.

e: BTW, one thing I love so much about Heaven Sent is that it supports thinking this hard about it. I think Hell Bent has good moments, but way less coherence. You can drill much further into Heaven Sent, and, like the Doctor, it never cracks.

pgroce fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 9, 2015

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
As a highly irregular participant in this thread, let me say: It's always fun watching the DW Secret Santa play out every year.

Geeks bonding over their geekery. Warms the hearts. :3:

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
For eleven years I have been waiting for this moment.

I finished watching the Christmas special tonight (for the second time), and my 11-yo daughter asks me if I'd like to watch a Doctor Who episode with her. Not the new series, the old one. Previously, it was too scary for her, but she's read all the Harry Potter books now and...

So of course I had to make a Really Important Decision, and my choice was Spearhead from Space. She wanted to watch something in color, and even suggested the first color one, so I thought I'd test her. She passed with flying colors. Watched the whole thing, and wanted to see more. (Although she suggested that we should watch in the afternoon next time.)

Anyway, I just wanted to share with some like minded individuals. I watched my first episode of Doctor Who around her age (it was Revenge of the Cybermen, I still remember) and it touched me to introduce her to the series now. We'll probably watch the Ambassadors of Yeah I Know next. I hope she keeps that sense of wonder, and we can continue sharing this wonderful show together.

It's a good Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

The benefit of watching the show this way was that when I stayed up half the night watching The War Games, the ending was completely worth it.

God bless your 80s PBS station for running five hours of Doctor Who, probably from 9pm-2am. I feel like that ought to be some sort of rite of passage.

• Locked thread