Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kant
May 12, 2003

Gordon Shumway posted:

- The Doctor playing guitar on a tank, I'm sure Peter Capaldi was having the time of his life filming that scene but it was so cringeworthy

Nope. It was one of the best scenes in the history of Doctor Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kant
May 12, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

Well, yes, I know that's how it's normally used, but I could've sworn it was once given a longer description, including specifically the "call to arms" bit. But I could be misremembering.

Yeah, during Logopolis, the phrase was definitely "man the battle stations". Figuratively, of course.

This one did feel more like a classic episode. Pretty good so far.

kant
May 12, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

if there's a box that contains someone mysterious, 99% of the time the Doctor's in it. The Pandorica, the coffin from BF: A Death in the Family, etc.

Definitely. Plus it's a better explanation for the Tardis wanting to run away. Those ghosts aren't anything specials. There's a potential paradox being created or something more serious.

kant
May 12, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wait, they had the cloister bell again for no loving reason

EPISODE WAS BAD

Or we just don't know the reason yet?! Ok probably not.

kant
May 12, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Well so far the breathing fire effect is the only part of this episode I haven't enjoyed. :shobon:

Agreed. I understand needing to make him seem like more of a threat but that was just dumb. The same with the glowing eyes bit.

Besides that I thought it was a good solid episode. I feel like the whole season has ranged from a B- to B+.

kant
May 12, 2003
We may not have been shown the shades of grey but we were told over and over and over.. The message I took from this episode is that it's a really bad idea to force one group of people to assimilate into another by taking away their identity and culture. Which is a pretty obvious thing. And I don't see anyone in this episode portrayed in a particularly good light. I'm willing to wait till the next episode because I can see how they may have chosen on purpose to only show us the Zygon/terrorist faction at this stage. Get the audience conflicted and then siding against the 'bad' guys and then turn it around on them. JaKiri has plenty of good points but I think DoctorWhat will be right in the end.

All that said, I really didn't like this episode and I'm not sure why I'm even commenting on it. Although, I'm starting to appreciate it a little more given the responses I've seen in this thread. At least it's something that generates a more interesting discussion than most episodes.

kant
May 12, 2003

pgroce posted:

It rankles me a bit that the civilization that has ostensibly Figured Everything Out and Owns All of You is living in a little bubble on a shattered planet. Or heck, maybe it's an excellent metaphor for colonialist capitalism, but I'd like it if the show made that a bit more intentional.

If you want to mess with the show's mythology, tell us about that. Keep the big stuff shrouded in mystery.

Little bubble?! You make it sound like it's a bad thing. They have the perfect city with everything they could want without having to be bothered with the dirty 'outside'.

kant
May 12, 2003

Rochallor posted:

I assume "bigger on the outside" technology also works with cities, so there might be just like six or seven cities (there's the capital city, and the one that got destroyed in Day of the Doctor, right?) with billions of people in each of them. I like the idea that the Time Lords have basically gone up their own asses instead of stepping out into the rest of their planet.

Maybe the Death Zone is just everything outside the cities, even.

Haha that's a perfect way of putting it.

kant
May 12, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

If Clara is able to take a random piece of Time Lord equipment and quickly alter how it works? That shows she has the skills to carry on without him

Haha true but all she did was put on sonic glasses with a psychic interface and think 'reverse polarity!' really hard. I think it's more about her quick thinking skills and being smart enough to ignore the Doctor when he says the conversation he's about to have is for him alone.

kant
May 12, 2003
One thing confuses me. What was the deal with 'it's always 4 knocks' when Ishida shows up?

Is that a callback to Listen where they're also at the end of everything and there's something outside? I went back and checked and I'm pretty sure I'm hearing 3 knocks in that episode.

kant
May 12, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

No it's a callback to the end of Ten's run.

"He will knock four times."

I find that even more confusing.

kant
May 12, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Capaldi is at the age where he can do anything he wants, so the role is his as long as he wants it, basically. He doesn't have to worry about typecasting, especially because he's already played another character in danger of being typecast. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to leave after next year, but if anybody would stick around, it would be him.

It feels like part of the reason Moffat has been so aggressive about getting new blood into the writing and directing staff these past two years is that he's searching for a successor. It definitely feels like he's trying to leave but doesn't want to leave the show in the wrong hands.

Plus with Capaldi being such a big fan I wouldn't be surprised if he has a checklist of what he needs to accomplish before he's willing to leave. I know my list would include things like piloting a tardis with original console room and being referred to as lord president. I wonder if some stuff like that we're getting is actual fan service or Capaldi service!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kant
May 12, 2003
Nah see Capaldi just wants his regeneration to be a surprise. So, this announcement is his attempt at disinformation. He's really not planning to leave for at least 10 more years.

• Locked thread