Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
Can someone explain to me why all the African countries are all like poor and war-torn and stuff? I know that Guns Germs and Steel guy had an explanation but I don't know what it is and people think its bad now or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
basically they gave guns to the germs and now they steal

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
because of white ppl

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

capitalasm

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
basically white imperialists hosed up africa hundreds of years ago and they've never been able to pull themselves together, whether that's their fault or the white imperialists fault in this year 2015 is up for debate.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

i didnt read this at all but it is the first result for "why is africa poor"

http://economics.mit.edu/files/7641

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I think it has somethign to do with Metal Gear ?

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Their lack of navigable waterways didn't allow them to participate in trade and build their economies like most other regions.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

yoruba

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

because of white ppl

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
because of the gays ofc

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
The white man keeping them down.

Superstition instead of education.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

POWERBALL posted:

Can someone explain to me why all the African countries are all like poor and war-torn and stuff? I know that Guns Germs and Steel guy had an explanation but I don't know what it is and people think its bad now or something.

Imagine if people like Obummer were running a whole continent for thousands of years.

We are lucky they are as good as off as they are.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

debeers diamond corporation wanted a lot of diamonds, but the diamonds were underneath a place where people lived, so debeers gave a lot of money to other people, who didn't like the first group of people, and said here is money, get some weapons and kill all those peoples. they didn't say kill like exactly they just said take care of them and wiggled their eyebrows to show that they didn't mean buy them a milkshake. so the people debeers hired killed a lot of the people who lived on the diamonds, and debeers got the diamonds, and everyone was happy.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

colonialism and exploitative developed nations robbing their resources and propping up shithead dictators as long as they keep the oil/gold/diamonds/whatever flowing

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

if humans all came out of africa then wouldn't africa be the richest and most advanced society?

checkmate, science.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

POWERBALL posted:

Lack of education

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
White people rolled in, stole everything of value, then told people that the worthless rocks they can get from underground are actually worth killing each other over.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

POWERBALL posted:

Jesus stops loving people after their skin gets darker than a pair of khakis

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lack of a strong white leader obviously. just look at the success stories from when the whites were running things. they leave and everything goes to poo poo. it couldn't be anymore obvious; I mean Obama is a Kenyan, he got a little white blood in him, now he's the drat president what more evidence do you need

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

after Ernest Goes to Africa everything went to poo poo there. I'm not sure what happened.
*stares blankly into the distance*

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

Jesus stops loving people after their skin gets darker than a pair of khakis

no he uses the brown paper bag test like everyone else. observe him sit in judgment:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

postcolonial collapse + global capitalism

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Good question op. In my opinion it's because of all the stupid nUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

because of white ppl

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
*lights dim, deep booming voice echoes off the fuggin walls* The white man!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Frog Act posted:

postcolonial collapse + global capitalism

yeah

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People are critical of Jared Diamond because he's an ecologist who wrote a history book, so he got a bunch of facts wrong and his ideas were too deterministic. Environmental history is a legitimate topic but his book failed to properly consider things like human agency and Eurocentrism.

Europe still had full-blown colonies in Africa into the 1960s, and when that system collapsed it wasn't a dignified handing over of power--it was through civil war and rebellion. Since then it's been a struggle for African countries to get off the ground for the same reason a lot of Middle Eastern countries are still so lovely. Borders were drawn by Europeans with no consideration for African ethnic and cultural presence, so you have people groups split between multiple countries and majority groups oppressing those split minorities because that's what people do. The people in charge are backed up by Europe, America, and Asia because it's not like colonies going out of style was going to stop outsiders from wanting all those resources.

Add in things like tropical diseases, radical Islam, poor climates for agriculture, and whatever else is left over after hundreds of years of colonial oppression and you've got Africa.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
to all the people that blame the white man: africa wasn't exactly doing so hot before the white man arrived, which completely invalidates your theory.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

People are critical of Jared Diamond because he's an ecologist who wrote a history book, so he got a bunch of facts wrong and his ideas were too deterministic. Environmental history is a legitimate topic but his book failed to properly consider things like human agency and Eurocentrism.

Europe still had full-blown colonies in Africa into the 1960s, and when that system collapsed it wasn't a dignified handing over of power--it was through civil war and rebellion. Since then it's been a struggle for African countries to get off the ground for the same reason a lot of Middle Eastern countries are still so lovely. Borders were drawn by Europeans with no consideration for African ethnic and cultural presence, so you have people groups split between multiple countries and majority groups oppressing those split minorities because that's what people do. The people in charge are backed up by Europe, America, and Asia because it's not like colonies going out of style was going to stop outsiders from wanting all those resources.

Add in things like tropical diseases, radical Islam, poor climates for agriculture, and whatever else is left over after hundreds of years of colonial oppression and you've got Africa.

Thread topic answered.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Colonialism, imperialism, industrialism, capitalism

In that order

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

to all the people that blame the white man: africa wasn't exactly doing so hot before the white man arrived, which completely invalidates your theory.

"wasn't doing so hot" is entirely by white colonial standards, which conveniently was the argument used to justify colonial oppression

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Nation posted:

basically they gave guns to the germs and now they steal

:vince:

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
beacue your gay and af ag and ur a homo

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Hot new social theory straight from GBS:

Slavery was actually good because it brought civilization to savages

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010

Commie NedFlanders posted:

"wasn't doing so hot" is entirely by white colonial standards, which conveniently was the argument used to justify colonial oppression

I think slavery still being a thing at the time in east Africa was also one of the excuses that the colonial powers used to try to "save" Africa from itself (and from the Arabs)

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

you wouldn't have lasted 2 seconds in pre-colonial Africa, so i don't know what you're playin at

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

that's not really a :vince: kind of post, maybe a :thurman: at best but really more a :mmmsmug:

any dumbass who went to college has heard of that book

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
you gotta hold your vinces in reserve for the real crushers, like the retard masturbator or the "homeschool is tough" in the thread about wanting to gently caress the teacher, otherwise it just becomes meaningless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Hot new social theory straight from GBS:

Slavery was actually good because it brought civilization to savages

you have been possessed by the ghost of viletat

• Locked thread