Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

you wouldn't have lasted 2 seconds in pre-colonial Africa, so i don't know what you're playin at

Pre-colonial African societies were some of the oldest and most innovative societies in all of human history and their cultural legacy and even their incredible architecture still stands today after several thousands of years

Meanwhile modern white man projects like neoliberalism collapse under the weight of their own folly after 3 decades

Sit down, man

:vince::synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Colonialism, imperialism, industrialism, capitalism

In that order

Which is the -ism that blacks are good at?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Pre-colonial African societies were some of the oldest and most innovative societies in all of human history and their cultural legacy and even their incredible architecture still stands today after several thousands of years

Meanwhile modern white man projects like neoliberalism collapse under the weight of their own folly after 3 decades

northern africa doesn't count. we're talking sub-Saharan africa here. don't try to pull a fast one.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Which is the -ism that blacks are good at?

All of them that's why white people have always been and remain terrified of them

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

northern africa doesn't count. we're talking sub-Saharan africa here. don't try to pull a fast one.

Well even under some of the most horrifying abuses of basic human rights and dignity, under the terror regime of white colonialists and chattle slavery, the people of that region produced all of the wealth that allowed early America to survive and prosper

Meanwhile whites go insane and start going on mass murder rampages when their stupid world of Warcraft character is hacked

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Well even under some of the most horrifying abuses of basic human rights and dignity, under the terror regime of white colonialists and chattle slavery, the people of that region produced all of the wealth that allowed early America to survive and prosper

Meanwhile whites go insane and start going on mass murder rampages when their stupid world of Warcraft character is hacked

See, again you're trying to pull a fast one. stay on the topic. concentrate. hone your rhetoric.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

See, again you're trying to pull a fast one. stay on the topic. concentrate. hone your rhetoric.

Typical white guy talking to strangers like he's their boss

No wonder you people get cucked

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

malaria and white people

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

this is objectively true

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Idgi

Explain?

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
Corporate influence dominating our perception of reality, further allowing oligarchic monopolists to exploit natural resources at the expense of the well being of locals. Or something.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
It makes me uncomfortable.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Somehow leftist apologies and liberal lies make poor building materials. I think they (africans) simply don't want buildings

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
can you explain to me why sub-saharan africans never developed complex culture or beyond mere subsistence tribalism until their introduction by european colonialism in the 18th century? please do not try to argue that either the egyptians or the moors are of their swart race.

why have sub-saharan africans never contributed to world culture or any art of lasting value? i can name artists and great civilizations from every major continent and time period, including pre-colombian america. but what of the africans? here we find a great wasteland.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Maldoror posted:

can you explain to me why sub-saharan africans never developed complex culture or beyond mere subsistence tribalism until their introduction by european colonialism in the 18th century? please do not try to argue that either the egyptians or the moors are of their swart race.

why have sub-saharan africans never contributed to world culture or any art of lasting value? i can name artists and great civilizations from every major continent and time period, including pre-colombian america. but what of the africans? here we find a great wasteland.

I'm stealing this lol

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Maldoror posted:

original hoarders...

sub-saharan africans are assholes

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Maldoror posted:

Hegel's phenomenology of spirit

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
in the past you had a beard, and you stood around listing shps, or possibly walls, and who build the walls and why. people were really stupid back then, and thought beards Signified in a special french way, and walls were magical? because everyone was arab and lived in a swamp. and people would listen to you, with their arab swamp stink, because you knew the secret of te wall, and had a beard. also you probably had a gay lute, made out of Cats. but Capitalism has changed all that. now you have to pay exhorbitant sums to remove your beard, because they no longer SSignify, but also walls are no longer magical things people sing gay songs about in various forms of verse. most people understand walls and their construction, in fact if you think about it you might even say, wwe have wall–aournd our souls. it’s pretty heavey to think about, much like the first song off classic 1999 album “the soft bulletein” from the flaming lips. yours –lyle

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maldoror posted:

Environmental argument: Tropical disease epidemics make higher population densities dangerous, so sub-Saharan cultures developed dispersed low-density settlements. Urbanization is usually associated with cultural and technological progress. Extensive agriculture is also necessary for our definition of a complex culture, but sleeping sickness is a good example of why that didn't take off (sleeping sickness kills cattle).

If you want an example of complex culture then I guess you could look into the history of Indian Ocean trade. Idk that's not really my thing, but the ocean trade along the eastern coast of the continent led to a lot of cultural exchange.

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
White devil

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I didn't read all of Guns Germs and Steel but at the beginning he talks about the fact that Eurasia and to a lesser extent North America lie on an east west axis, while Africa and South America lie on a more north-south axis.

This means that it was easier for domesticated species to become widespread on the east-west continents because there was a narrower range of latitudes and thus less variation in the climate, while north-south continents you had many latitudes where beneficial species couldn't survive. Then there was also just the natural evolutionary history of the continents where areas that would eventually produce white people just by chance had a better mix of species for domestication. It was not just animal species, but also food crops. Certain crops on certain continents had more complete nutritional value for sustaining large populations.

Basically it sounds like there were a bunch of little natural advantages that weren't a huge deal but that snowballed over time and then when you throw in colonialism, conquest, slavery, and war and you get what we have today.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
There's a reason humans migrated OUT of Africa. Something even Homo Erectus clearly understood.

If it was nice they would have stayed there

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Decebal posted:

There's a reason humans migrated OUT of Africa. Something even Homo Erectus clearly understood.

If it was nice they would have stayed there

They did stay there. Were you unaware that Africa is inhabited?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

notZaar posted:

They did stay there. Were you unaware that Africa is inhabited?

I mean even then they realized that it wasn't the best environment.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
the ":africansL:" beleev that growing crops is beneath them, and they prefer to live in houses made of dung and straw,

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Because we gave them (fail) AIDS

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
oh, and also regular AIDS too

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
The oldest abstract art in the world is a shell necklace dated 82,000 years in the Cave of Pigeons in Taforalt, eastern Morocco. The second oldest abstract form of art and the oldest rock art is found in the Blombos Cave at the Cape in South Africa, dated 77,000 years. Sub-Saharan Africa has some of the oldest and most varied style of rock art in the world.

Although Sub-Saharan African art is very diverse there are some common themes. One is the use of the human figure. Second, there is a preference for sculpture. Sub-Saharan African art is meant to be experienced in three dimensions, not two. A house is meant to be experienced from all angles. Third, art is meant to be performed. Sub-Saharan Africans have specific name for masks. The name incorporates the sculpture, the dance, and the spirit that incorporates the mask. The name denotes all three elements. Fourth, art that serves a practical function, utilitarian. The artist and craftsman are not separate. A sculpture shaped like a hand can be used as a stool. Fifth, the use of fractals or non-linear scaling. The shape of the whole is the shape of the parts at different scales. Before the discovery of fractal geometry], Louis Senghor, Senegal's first president, referred to this as "dynamic symmetry." William Fagg, the British art historian, compared it to the logarithmic mapping of natural growth by biologist D’Arcy Thompson. Lastly, Sub-Saharan African art is visually abstract, instead of naturalistic. Sub-Saharan African art represents spiritual notions, social norms, ideas, values, etc. An artist might exaggerated the head of a sculpture in relations to the body not because he does not know anatomy but because he wants to illustrate that the head is the seat of knowledge and wisdom. The visual abstraction of African art was very influential in the works of modernist artist like Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, and Jacques Lipchitz.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Do you think we can ever successfully gentrify Africa?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0q4o58pKwA

what goons literally believe

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

it's not really the fault of the Africans it's just the fact that Africa is like the shittiest loving place on earth

imagine if Australia wasn't colonized, it would be the same thing

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

Maldoror posted:

William Fagg, the British art historian,

Lol. "Good day, chaps. Bill Fagg, art historian." *reaches out arm to shake hands*

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
SJW world bank feminazis came in and freed the african market currency from rape to global southbux

Titter
Jul 30, 2015

by Ralp

Maldoror posted:

Before the discovery of fractal geometry], Louis Senghor, Senegal's first president, referred to this as "dynamic symmetry." William Fagg, the British art historian, compared it to the logarithmic mapping of natural growth by biologist D’Arcy Thompson.

Mods can you please change my name to "Little Willy Fagg Dynamic Symmetry"?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Borders were drawn by Europeans with no consideration for African ethnic and cultural presence...

I've never liked this excuse. "Don't kill peeps" is a pretty simple rule, and there are no exceptions for "ethnic and cultural" differences.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

because of white ppl

this is the honest answer to every question ever asked

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

GORDON posted:

I've never liked this excuse. "Don't kill peeps" is a pretty simple rule, and there are no exceptions for "ethnic and cultural" differences.

yeah that's why the Israelis and Palestinians get along so well

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

GORDON posted:

tell that to the europes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

GORDON posted:

yeah its so simple. it's not like the colonial empires ever killed anyone without a good reason or went to war with each other over resources.

• Locked thread