Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is most annoying about this american life
the pregnant pauses
the hushed tones
gay background music
white people
View Results

• Locked thread
cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Robo Reagan posted:

Saturday mornings it's cooking shows and it's the worst

Yeah, The Splendid Table is the most insufferable rich white foodie show ever. No one cares about your artisinal quince jelly, Rose! Some of us don't want to know where our food comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

prairie home companion is such garbage it is so loving boring and unfunny

car talk and wait wait are funny

radiolab is overproduced

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Hector Beerlioz posted:

*speaks poorly of Diane Rehm*

:ese:

npr uses a lot of beastie boys instrumentals as bumper music for some reason

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

*speaks poorly of Diane Rehm*

She would cut your rear end off in 3 seconds flat for your poor domestic issue analysis.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

sometimes when jazz is playing i like to imagine it played by a prog-metal band and its funny

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

krampster2 posted:

i like radiolab and stuff and similar podcasts but sometimes i'm just like "omg white people" when i hear them. like the podcast risk is cool sometimes but other times it's just annoying because of all the silly white people stories when they are all like "and then i went to see my therapist about my gay feelings for my personal trainer." omfg please stop talking you silly white people

I stopped listening for pretty much the same reasoning. It was the controversy around the Yellow Rain episode that turned me off totally.
http://www.hyphenmagazine.com/blog/archive/2012/10/science-racism-radiolabs-treatment-hmong-experience

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
i stopped listening to radiolab because the stupid sound effects they use are annoying.

i am not surprised that people who think those sound effects are clever would also be racist

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

p.s. diane rehm owns

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Glad to see nobody's talking poo poo on Wait Wait in here

Because it owns

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Corollary: Wait Wait owns as long as Bobcat Goldthwait and Mo Rocca are not panelists.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

zakharov posted:

Because it owns

peter sagal mysteriously taking off work for the episode that had kim kardashian on was pretty funny

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hobohemian posted:

Every time I tune to NPR I'm hoping it's the news, investigative journalism or something about technology and it's always some stupid rear end white people bullshit about music or how hard it is to find a good mustache wax.

My parents listen to it all the time which is weird because they are most certainly on the right side of the political spectrum. As a child I was forced to listen to it in the car. One time, I think it was All Things Considered, that devoted ten minutes to a lady who added the word 'potato' to the mexican hat dance music and recorded it.

That's some high quality investigative journalism right there.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

zakharov posted:

Because it owns

*talks poo poo on wait wait*

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

CoffeeBooze posted:

peter sagal mysteriously taking off work for the episode that had kim kardashian on was pretty funny

He was doing some theatre thing in Baltimore at the time

People got REALLY REALLY mad about her being in the show which was hilarious

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Hector Beerlioz posted:

*talks poo poo on wait wait*

t:mad:

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

All of the above and this:

Upspeak. Every loving sentence sounds like a loving question. Even declared facts.

I miss the days when gravel voiced commentators gave you information as a definitive statement and you sure as hell believed it. Now they'll stick anyone in front of a microphone and it sounds like a nine year old giving book report.

I blame millennials for this.

E: anyone who enjoys those shows they air on Saturday is a beta boy limp dicked liberal.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

AWarmBody posted:

I stopped listening for pretty much the same reasoning. It was the controversy around the Yellow Rain episode that turned me off totally.
http://www.hyphenmagazine.com/blog/archive/2012/10/science-racism-radiolabs-treatment-hmong-experience

I had to make a character list for this:

Paul Hillmer
Pat Walters
Uncle Eng
Pat and Robert Krulwich
Marisa Helms
"A Harvard scientist"
"The Thai government"
"A doctor from Columbia University"
Pa Ma
Ronald Reagan
The Soviets
Agent Orange
US Government
Jad Abrumad, the other main host of RadioLab
"Another Ivy-League Scientist"
Dr. C.J. Mirocha
Meselson’s bee dung theory
Baby Jules
Dean Cappello, the Chief Content Officer at WNYC

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
for me the worst part is how half of them make a lot of saliva noise while they're talking. like they can hear it in the recording room and they think it's cool so they smack their jowls and make extra slurping noises while they talk just to hear it because it fascinates them.

it's like nails on a chalkboard to me

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

i hope kai ryssdal is killed by poor people in an armed uprising

car talk is great and i like terry gross usually

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the thing about these shows is, npr has many excellent programs and is a top notch news station. they just have these terrible smug aberrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

NPR is the soundtrack to lazy middle class intellectuals pretending to be unlazy upper middle class intellectuals

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

on point with tom ashbrook makes up for radiolab pretty much 100% though

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Neoliberalism.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Remember when the Republicans made a huge fuss over NPR stealing tax money and got it's funding gutted. Lol

This is probably why.

Survey: NPR’s listeners best-informed, Fox viewers worst-informed

They don't like no lernin'.

Yeah, I just picked the top article but look for yourself. NPR or even the Daily Show is always at the top. Fox News is always last or even UNDER no news at all hahaha.

naem
May 29, 2011

Imagine someone who inherits several million dollars, who then gets a masters degree and a job at a nonprofit just so they have something to talk about at dinner parties

Now imagine someone who pretends to be the above but only earns the $60k or so the no profit pays them, attending that same dinner party, realizing how precarious their employment situation is, forcing them self to laugh artificially and pretending to enjoy weird cheese

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I know nothing about cars and car talk was pretty ok.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is probably why.

Survey: NPR’s listeners best-informed, Fox viewers worst-informed

They don't like no lernin'.

Yeah, I just picked the top article but look for yourself. NPR or even the Daily Show is always at the top. Fox News is always last or even UNDER no news at all hahaha.

I saw you posted numbers and decided you are wrong.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I saw you posted numbers and decided you are wrong.

I know. Fox News probably debunked these numbers. :eng99:

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
That garden show they play occasionally saturday mornings is obnoxious and stupid, but ultimately very informative.

TERRY GROSS IS MY NIGGA

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i havent listened to NPR since bush was still in office, and personally i like PBS programming a lot but even then NPR wasnt that good at all (aside from giving me the news when on the road - before smartphones were invented) and generally it was more fun to listen to conservative talk radio (esp the AM stations, aka the hardcore poo poo like THE SAVAGE NATION) during commercial breaks on the other presets when driving a company vehicle/anything else with no aux input ability

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I get irrationally angry at This American Life.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

shut up netface posted:

That garden show they play occasionally saturday mornings is obnoxious and stupid, but ultimately very informative.

TERRY GROSS IS MY NIGGA

This is true from a few of their programs. I listen to NPR a lot but some of their programs I'm not a huge fan of. I don't like cars, but I'll listen to Car Talk when there is nothing else on. The problem is (not a problem), is that even if I don't enjoy it, I'm still learning something. It isn't a bunch of vitriol and heavily biased news bullshit. It's just.... educational programming.

I love NRP.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
They play Car Talk so that pays for all.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

The only good consistently v good show on NPR is On The Media, and On Point is good most of the time.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
the Diane Rehm show can be good with interesting guests and the structure leads to interesting conversation (until they start taking calls at least)

it's terrible whatever weird poo poo happened to her voice

i'll always end up putting it on and someone'll be like "i'm so and so in for diane rehm, she's out for a voice treatment" and i'm like sweet because i don't have to listen to her but i'll probably hear something interesting and hey maybe she'll sound better when she gets back

and then she gets back and sounds worse than ever blowing precious airtime wheezing out her death rattle but deliberately enunciating every syllable of a drawn-out question for a minute and a half

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

daine rehm owns

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
wtf is with the no checkbox poll

but yeah they canceled the show with the coolest name called ":allears:" with the black lady because white people so thats probably a good answer

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

diane rehm is the only person i have ever heard tell phyllis schlafly to shut the gently caress up and succeed

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

naem posted:

NPR is the soundtrack to lazy middle class intellectuals pretending to be unlazy upper middle class intellectuals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

zakharov posted:

Because it owns

going to fight anyone who talks bad about Wait Wait

• Locked thread