Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is most annoying about this american life
the pregnant pauses
the hushed tones
gay background music
white people
View Results

• Locked thread
stump collector
May 28, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I knew a lady who was a DJ for an NPR station around here. she was a nice person but pretty ugly. she ended up marrying a blind dude lol.

what an idiot lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
the moth owns and this episode of the moth owns the most http://themoth.org/posts/stories/courting-paul-bowles-in-tangier

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Automatic Slim posted:

Thank you. I'm going to save this one for the future. It's going to brilliant.
I stole it myself. I think it's Carlin.

Automatic Slim posted:

So it's the neoliberal, secular analog to televangelism.

That analogy falls a bit flat. Find somebody on NPR with a house like this:

Rainbow Daesh
May 19, 2015

by Ralp

Mooktastical posted:

a guy has a house, lol, who gives a poo poo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Says You is amazing and I listen every week like I'm 50 and it's 1987.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
which is the show John Hockenberry does? I forget but he started a show on 9/11 with a long self-absorbed rant about how he's "done with 9/11" and it was the most stereotypically :goonsay: thing I've ever heard

like none of the things he said were actually wrong, but it was still ludicrously grating and insufferable

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

he does the takeaway which is like NPRs attempt to live up to every accusation that it is a bias america hating liberal radio station that has ever been thrown its way

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

which show is the one that is like a Wait, Wait but targeted at the hipster demographic? it is recorded in brookyln and has that really terrible musician who writes songs about darth vader. that show is bad

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mostlygray posted:

The Splendid Table is indeed the worst:

"I have an onion. What should I do with it?"

"Ohhhh!" She moaned while experiencing her 100th orgasm of the day. "Here's what you do. Cut it up, (pregnant pause) saute it in butter and then put it in food."

"Wow!" says the caller. "I never thought that was even a possibility!"

"Another thing you can do, is cut it up and put it in the oven with other food."

(Sound of caller climaxing)

For Christ's sake, just cook the poo poo however you feel is best. It's just a quince/avocado/lemon. It's not some magic space food. "What should I do with spring onions?" Stick them up your rear end for all I care.

The only episode I listened to of that show was the one about kambucha or whatever. they basically described moldy rear end tea and it sounded like they were having a loving orgy

Affe mk2
Mar 9, 2004

Chicks dig giant robots

CoffeeBooze posted:

which show is the one that is like a Wait, Wait but targeted at the hipster demographic? it is recorded in brookyln and has that really terrible musician who writes songs about darth vader. that show is bad

that's Ask Me Another and the musician is johnathan coulton of portal cake song fame. their games and questions are often so bad you can hear the crowd flinch when someone figures out an answer.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
of all the times to not ahve a checkbox poll

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Affe mk2 posted:

that's Ask Me Another and the musician is johnathan coulton of portal cake song fame. their games and questions are often so bad you can hear the crowd flinch when someone figures out an answer.

and yet it's still better than Says You

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Mooktastical posted:

Wow, must be a Mormon, right?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

gleebster posted:

Wow, must be a Mormon, right?

Televangelist. And not the good kind like John Oliver. The bad kind like..... the rest. Praise be.

PBS and NPR have had frequent attacks in the past by the GOP to stop giving any sort of grants to them, even though they are not liberal. They generally just have facts and other strange things with some culture mixed in. Pissing off the frothing extreme right is reason enough to love them even if you don't listen to it.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Fiona Ritchey coming up. Time to get my Celt on.

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax
You being mentally handicapped. OP.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

exethan posted:

what an idiot lol

What, because he married a woman who fails in a category he can't possibly give a poo poo about? Maybe she's really good at sex? Ever think of that? Maybe he comes out ahead on this deal.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Televangelist. And not the good kind like John Oliver. The bad kind like..... the rest. Praise be.

PBS and NPR have had frequent attacks in the past by the GOP to stop giving any sort of grants to them, even though they are not liberal. They generally just have facts and other strange things with some culture mixed in. Pissing off the frothing extreme right is reason enough to love them even if you don't listen to it.

The GOP pretty much hate anything that is public and for the public good, but Sesame Street is going off to HBO so I guess they won.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

ethanol posted:

maybe rush limbaugh is more your groove shithead

ditto

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

and yet it's still better than Says You

Says You is life maybe you should stick to Wait Wait there gramps.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Nick Spitzer and American Routes. Good stuff. This week: jug-band music.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Automatic Slim posted:

The GOP pretty much hate anything that is public and for the public good, but Sesame Street is going off to HBO so I guess they won.

:stare: Jesus christ. Sesame Street. Those monsters.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Anthrovore posted:

Colin McEnroe show kicks rear end, despite Colin loving the sound of his own voice. I think it might only be on in CT though?

also Chion Wolf is funny and super cute too

she's my public radio crush
I am glad to see another CT NPR listener here, because I also love the Colin McEnroe show. Chion's intros are almost always awesome. Faith Middleton's overly enthusiastic voice and the weird level of excitement she and her guests have on the Food Schmooze drives me nuts though.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Rainbow Daesh posted:

a guy has a house, lol, who gives a poo poo
________________________________/

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Mooktastical posted:

________________________________/

I'm like 99% sure that lady behind him is a robot

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Opera Bitch posted:

I am glad to see another CT NPR listener here, because I also love the Colin McEnroe show. Chion's intros are almost always awesome. Faith Middleton's overly enthusiastic voice and the weird level of excitement she and her guests have on the Food Schmooze drives me nuts though.

:hfive: gently caress yea WNPR buddy

I'm kind of surprised mcenroe doesnt have a national audience, the show topics are occasionally local/regional but even then its 100 times more interesting than pretty much any public radio show I can think of excepting maybe Fresh Air.

I also cannot loving stand faith middleton.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

the great deceiver posted:

i unironically love America's Test Kitchen because not only is it an unpretentious cooking show i'm like 99% convinced that the two hosts are getting loaded and possibly loving while they answer some 90 year old midwestern grandmother's question about applesauce cake.

have you seen the tv show? the host and whichever mildly dykey lady is on totally eyefuck each other while big gay adam in the equipment corner sulks with his oxo good grips spatula

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I like NPR, I listen to it every day on the drive to and from work. Except for saturdays because they only have classical music on the mornings and that boring food show during the evening.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

wow, my NPR station has awesome saturday programming. Weekend Edition, then Car Talk, then Wait Wait Dont Tell Me, then This American Life, then some lovely quiz show with some guitar playing rear end hole that sings about memes, then what seems like 12 hours of prarie home companion

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

CoffeeBooze posted:

wow, my NPR station has awesome saturday programming. Weekend Edition, then Car Talk, then Wait Wait Dont Tell Me, then This American Life, then some lovely quiz show with some guitar playing rear end hole that sings about memes, then what seems like 12 hours of prarie home companion

Well I go to work at 4:30 in the morning and get off at 4:30 in the evening. I wasn't saying that the Saturday programming is bad, just bad when I get to actually listen to it. Honestly I mostly only get to listen to NPR news.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

naem posted:

Imagine someone who inherits several million dollars, who then gets a masters degree and a job at a nonprofit just so they have something to talk about at dinner parties

Now imagine someone who pretends to be the above but only earns the $60k or so the no profit pays them, attending that same dinner party, realizing how precarious their employment situation is, forcing them self to laugh artificially and pretending to enjoy weird cheese

This sounds unimaginably better than my current situation. How do I become a upper-lower middle class white person parody of a human being?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

liberals are garbage

full communism now

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Anthrovore posted:

:hfive: gently caress yea WNPR buddy

I'm kind of surprised mcenroe doesnt have a national audience, the show topics are occasionally local/regional but even then its 100 times more interesting than pretty much any public radio show I can think of excepting maybe Fresh Air.

I also cannot loving stand faith middleton.

WNPR guy here too and I didnt realize Colin was local only but yea its usually pretty good. I too have a crush on Chion, shes awesome. One of my friends is friends with her and hes super lucky.

I like the food smooze though because that Chris Prospery (sp?) guy always sounds like hes high as poo poo and laughs at everything and it makes me laugh.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

it's that a lot of people like them and you can't just b ok with that

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Those bean town mush mouths from car talk can eat poo poo!!

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

yeah i saw that episode of the league too

GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Hey now, lets not say anything we can't take back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
What's that show............with the guy.............who speaks softly into the microphone.......................in a very halting manner.................and you're tearing out your hair.................because you want him to get to the goddamn point.....................but he won't.

It also has musical breaks that would be accompanied by action shots if it was broadcast on television, but since it's radio, it's just uncomfortable filler where nothing happens. Yeah, that show sucks.

• Locked thread