Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

rear end in a top hat Businessman posted:

Yeah the cleary confession was definitely the weakest aspect of the finale imo. I get that one of the main themes of the show was men doing poo poo to control women, but it felt way too devious even for him.

Especially when you consider how one of the running themes for him all season was how inept he ended up being whenever he tried some surefire easy money scheme, and it was usually due to him thinking more with his heart n guts than his brains.

The super intelligent and driven nurse character from season one was also such a huge letdown too. Her season arc started out so interesting for me too, with her super charismatic preacher father, and her newly revealed n rekindled former devotion to religion. I thought they might do something like have her replace her former cocaine addiction with the religion and tie that in with Thack's plot, maybe even get some more scenes with the preacher and Thack, but nope, the Dad just disappears for episodes on end, and all of a sudden she's just a sociopath gold digger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Some exciting news came out a few days ago. Soderbergh wants 6 seasons, and The Knick might return a la American Horror Story, with the current cast playing different characters in a different era. Can't say that that sounds more appealing than a direct continuation of the current Knick to me though.

quote:

Soderbergh says he wants the show to continue, and that the network is waiting to hear his plans for the future. “I would like to keep going. I always thought of it as a six-year thing if we were allowed to continue. I hope we can figure it out. I hope we come up with something that I look at it and go, OK, I want to spend another two years of my life on that. Because that’s really the question. It’s an intense experience — rewarding, but I want to make sure we want to keep the bar at the same height or higher.”

As for the show’s star, Clive Owen, Soderbergh says the door is open on his potential return to his show as well. “I don’t know yet,” says Soderbergh. “There’s been a lot of discussion about if we switch time periods can we still bring back the cast but have them play other people. Everything’s on the table.”

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-knick-season-three-steven-soderbergh-1201675175/

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

r0ck0 posted:

What about a time jump backwards? Leeches, barbers, more cadaver theft.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This Fall on Cinemax -- Clive Owen stars as Thackbot 4000 in: The Knick 2099.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

savinhill posted:

The super intelligent and driven nurse character from season one was also such a huge letdown too. Her season arc started out so interesting for me too, with her super charismatic preacher father, and her newly revealed n rekindled former devotion to religion. I thought they might do something like have her replace her former cocaine addiction with the religion and tie that in with Thack's plot, maybe even get some more scenes with the preacher and Thack, but nope, the Dad just disappears for episodes on end, and all of a sudden she's just a sociopath gold digger.

well she went from being a random nurse from a biblical, backwoods family in nowheresville to enticing and probably marrying one of the richest men in new york. that's pretty good, even if she kinda comes off as a villan. lucy's whole arc is that she goes from men controlling her to controlling men to fulfill her own ambitions, the inverse of cornelia's arc, and at the end of it all lucy's in line to become a robertson as nelly lights out for adventure and hardship. i dont even know if i'd call her a gold digger, she sees an opportunity for wealth and power and she takes it. it's not like she doesn't actually like her coke friend with benefits

the religion thing is what does it, she realizes that even her faith in god is just another tool that some man (her father) uses to control and punish her. thack shook her faith in god with his coke dick pillow talk and then when her dad turns out to just be a hypocrite rear end in a top hat she's like gently caress it all anyway, i'll do what i want

really the only tragedy in her arc is that brotherguy robertson turns out to be a real cold manipulating murderer, right as lucy ascends to her place at his side. before this point the audience was told he was just the hapless young scion trying to hold the family together

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 11, 2016

Moltke
May 13, 2009
The only outright villainous thing that Lucy does is to murder her invalid father, but even when she does that, I completely understand where she's coming from. She's the perfect match for Henry "Patricide" Robertson.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Lucy's arc is spelled out in the beginning when she was talking about how men always dissapoint her (despite sort of going behind Bertie's back for a cocaine sex romp). She's doing an empowerment thing.

Bertie is the good guy in the show.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Popular Thug Drink posted:

coke dick pillow talk

Honestly still baffled about the coke sex stuff. They would have been completely numb everywhere that mattered. Why not get high the normal way then have sex? Bah!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Coke dick is a force to be reckoned with for sure. Its like getting self applied erectile dysfunction.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Looking forward to a cyborg Algernon solving stim addiction for androids developed by RobertsonCorp in the next season

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Good luck trying to convince the board to accept android patients.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
The androids are just built stronger than us; funding a cybernetics ward would be a waste of neo-shekels

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Algern0n and Th@ckery

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
The Knick 2000

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Stare-Out posted:

This Fall on Cinemax -- Clive Owen stars as Thackbot 4000 in: The Knick 2099.

This would be fun.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Soderbergh "tempted" by "extreme" season 3? http://www.vox.com/2016/1/19/10789244/the-knick-season-3-steven-soderbergh

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
6 seasons http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/04/01/steven-soderbergh-plots-out-a-grand-plan-for-his-tv-projects/

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Holy moly. Well I guess that confirms that Thack is stone-cold dead, then. I'm slightly wary of what the future of The Knick is but I hope they'll keep the historic theme going.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's just Bertie hat flourishes from here on out!

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's just Bertie hat flourishes from here on out!

Yes please.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I realize this is serious thread necromancy, but I just saw this and it made me laugh my rear end off.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/9n8e41/inside-amy-schumer--the-knick--jr-

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is great.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

I realize this is serious thread necromancy, but I just saw this and it made me laugh my rear end off.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/9n8e41/inside-amy-schumer--the-knick--jr-
They should have called it "Knickelodeon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I missed the article about him wanting to direct more seasons, love this quote

quote:

By the way, for “Knick” fans entertaining the theory that lead character Dr. John Thackery (Clive Owen) did not actually perish while performing surgery on himself at the end of last season, the director has this to say: “I guess people have been screwed so much on these shows that if you play straight with them they don’t believe you. We killed him. He’s dead. It was his own fault.”

"This isn't Walking Dead you loving idiots."

• Locked thread