Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

The Knick is an American television drama series on Cinemax created and mostly written by Jack Amiel and Michael Begler (former sitcom writers) and lit, shot, edited and directed entirely by Steven Soderbergh (former movie director). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljFLldSVwOk Music by Cliff Martinez. The show follows the daily lives and work of a few employees of a fictional Knickerbocker Hospital in 1900 NYC. Our characters as they go into Season 2:

Dr. John "Thack" Thackery is a surgeon on the bleeding edge of medical science. Most of his large veins are collapsed from heavy use of liquid cocaine.

Dr. Algernon "Algie" Edwards is the Deputy Chief of Surgery at the Knickerbocker, who trained/"made his bones" in Europe. Practiced in fisticuffs.

Nurse Lucy Elkins is Thackery's most trusted and resourceful assistant. Originally from rural West Virginia, she came to the Big Apple for the adventure. Has a secret bicycle.

Mr. Herman Barrow is the Hospital Administrator who hates his life. Currently in debt to a chain-mail wearing Chinese gangster, his life's ray of sunshine is a friendly sex worker.

Dr. Bertram "Bertie" Chickering, Jr. is the hospital's youngest surgeon and probably its most traditionally moe one. Hates pretzels.

Dr. Everett Gallinger is Thackery's protege and former dad. Has probably the best hair on the show and is a hardcore racist.

Miss Cornelia "Neely" Robertson is a recent transplant to San Francisco. Has seriously considered maybe living in Liberia. For some reason her character poster is impossible to find in high rez.

She's the Catholic nun and midwife who runs the orphanage affiliated with the Knick. He's one of the Knick's ambulance drivers. Sister "Harry" Harriet and Mr. Tom Cleary are Irish and buddies.

There are plenty of other characters but they don't work at the Knick as of last season. The circus revs up October 16th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

atrus50 posted:

Dr. John "Thack" Thackery is a surgeon on the bleeding edge of medical science. Most of his large veins are collapsed from heavy use of liquid cocaine.
It's cool, the nice rehab doctors put him on that new heroin stuff. Get ready for a healthy, productive and not strung-out at all Thack in season 2!

I don't remember a whole lot about the first season, mostly just that scene where Thack and Bertie had a fun night with a bunch of prostitutes, cocaine and balloons.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 19, 2015

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
W/rt watching the first season (cuz cinemax aint the best vector): HBO now/go is streaming the entire first season up to the premier of the second. I believe google play https://play.google.com/store/tv/show?id=zlVLeqPz9oA&cdid=tvseason-fP73SYAEUBM-_OMt38_OTg&gdid=tvepisode-BlJdomvyK4o&hl=en and amazon instant https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0122UEVMI also have it. If you have directv you get it for free: https://www.directv.com/tv/The-Knick-NkJJdEVWY1VRcWlGby9GckxSaXJvUT09

I would personally invest in the Blu Ray, as the bitrate is deserved for this gorgeous show. Most of the show is naturally and practically lit, and shot on high ISOs on the 6K RED Dragon camera. Speaking of which, the Blu Ray comes with two things: 1) Ultraviolet, which can be shared, the means for which you could probably bum off of UV bumming websites and 2) a copy of the shooting scripts for all 10 episodes WITH ATTACHED STUDIO EXECUTIVE NOTES which is available for free legal download here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-knick/id1019653740?mt=11 which has a forward from SS which includes these fun numbers:

Total scenes shot for Season 1: 557.
Total pages shot: 539 4/8.
Number of script pages containing the word “cocaine”: 56.
Number of pages with the word “douse”: eight (only half of those are non-sexual).
Most set-ups shot in one day: 60.
Least number of set-ups shot in one day: 10.

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 20, 2015

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

http://www.amazon.com/Knick-Cliff-Martinez/dp/B00MHS5Q2K

The soundtrack is quite good. It's missing a couple of good pieces from the show, most notably the music from the rat fight cold open, but I really like it. Sister Harry looks completely different from last season in that poster.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Yeah, I really like this year's character posters, tho cleary nabbed the best one again. In other news Cinemax has a bunch of cool production team features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsLqF0piYkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBY5bKqbHL4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjcSkRObuiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX6BEJvNbHE

spoilers for season 1

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Knick-Cliff-Martinez/dp/B00MHS5Q2K

The soundtrack is quite good. It's missing a couple of good pieces from the show, most notably the music from the rat fight cold open, but I really like it. Sister Harry looks completely different from last season in that poster.
I got the soundtrack from iTunes and it has a different tracklisting. :confused: The track you mentioned is on it, too. "Drizzled Him Good"

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Double post but Season 2 now has a proper trailer. Excited!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh man I had no idea season 2 was coming out. Can't wait!

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Spoilers are out for the first two episodes of this year's batch, so watch out for those.

Edit fer more content:

The Knick's soundtrack has a collector's vinyl edition that includes some 12 remixes and other cuts not in the standard CD/Digital release. It's basically a mondo release with illustrator Kilian Eng (continuing his work for mondo on vinyl releases for a bunch of Sci Fi sountracks like 2001, Aliens, MMaxFRoad, and Blade Runner) contributing design and original art for the gorgeous packaging.

It's still available almost everywhere except the mondo shop.

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 5, 2015

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Another promo for Season 2 that I had not seen previously https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIZ3KlGJUJQ

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I just finished the first season of this show after a hardcore binge (Thackery-esque, one might say). I loved it: the characters are all compelling and the show captures its era in a way that Boardwalk Empire never quite managed. I was apprehensive about their inclusion of Typhoid Mary at first but that storyline had a nice arc, and went a good way towards redeeming the health inspector character in my eyes.

This show and the first season of True Detective have established a great precedent for television series being directed by a single person. I can't wait for more! Also, no one has mentioned that Cliff Martinez, who makes the excellent soundtrack for The Knick, worked previously with Refn on the amazing scores for Drive and Only God Forgives.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Martinez also scored Soderbergh's Contagion which is a loving excellent score.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
edit false alarm

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 14, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
This is good news as a friend keeps bitching to me that The Knick still isn't back on. Will being a heroin junkie affect Thack's surgery success rate more than being a coke head?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I am extremely hyped to see Perry Yung as Wu again. That part in season 1 where he assassinates those 4 dudes in a nearly silent 20 second scene was loving nuts and I loved just about every other scene with him.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I am extremely hyped to see Perry Yung as Wu again. That part in season 1 where he assassinates those 4 dudes in a nearly silent 20 second scene was loving nuts and I loved just about every other scene with him.

To be honest the ludicrousness of that scene is almost out of another show entirely. The scripts had ping wu with a bit more screen time (for example, he is still recuperating from his tracheotomy during "Get the Rope" and would have involved himself during that fiasco) and the writers swear that he is a composite of "several real Chinatown gang lords." But it was weird as hell to suddenly be watching Banshee

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

atrus50 posted:

To be honest the ludicrousness of that scene is almost out of another show entirely. The scripts had ping wu with a bit more screen time (for example, he is still recuperating from his tracheotomy during "Get the Rope" and would have involved himself during that fiasco) and the writers swear that he is a composite of "several real Chinatown gang lords." But it was weird as hell to suddenly be watching Banshee

Since the show depicts violence more or less accurately elsewhere (particularly Algie's boxing matches) I read that scene as a sort-or corollary to Thack's statement about Wu's belief that he cannot be killed. Maybe it's less that the assassination actually went down that way and more that that's what Barrow imagines happened. But then again that's some serious English 101 analysis...

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I'm glad that this show is finally back. I've had a severe lack of Clive Owen in my life.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

centaurtainment posted:

Since the show depicts violence more or less accurately elsewhere (particularly Algie's boxing matches) I read that scene as a sort-or corollary to Thack's statement about Wu's belief that he cannot be killed. Maybe it's less that the assassination actually went down that way and more that that's what Barrow imagines happened. But then again that's some serious English 101 analysis...

Yeah the camera in this is often very subjective, but the creators were very vocal and enthusiastic about Wu's over the top nature. More than something moderately clever like you described, which the editing does not frame for from what I remember, it's probably just the writers' intense boner for Deadwood

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
For some reason, I found it easier to swallow because of it's sheer ridiculousness. It's not like those mooks were expecting a psychotic killer to come in armed with loving swords and just murder them all. It was a serious underworld badass-murderer versus a bunch of half-drunk rear end in a top hat whoremongerers used to punching naked men in the dick and beating up prostitutes.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

atrus50 posted:

it's probably just the writers' intense boner for Deadwood

Wait, that's supposed to be Mr. Wu? Or like, inspired by Mr. Wu? I don't read any external material for TV shows or creator interviews as I feel that they muddy my enjoyment of the art itself, so I had no idea, but I guess that makes sense...

Regardless, Swidgen.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

centaurtainment posted:

Wait, that's supposed to be Mr. Wu? Or like, inspired by Mr. Wu? I don't read any external material for TV shows or creator interviews as I feel that they muddy my enjoyment of the art itself, so I had no idea, but I guess that makes sense...

Regardless, Swidgen.

Wu is def named after wu but no, Ping wu is a composite character of many Chinatown gang leaders, most notably Mock Duck https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_Duck (who fought with hatchets and guns, not ancient Kung fooy of the mystic orient)

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 14, 2015

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Very excited for this severely under-appreciated show to come back.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Cinemax made an app for some reason http://theknickapp.com I wouldn't bother checking it out; it's a list of locations in nyc featured on the knick with a bit of period trivia. It's nice to know that HBO is just spazzing out in every possible direction trying to premiere this thing

Also, they released a minute long clip from tomorrow's episode https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N7JNkJ_Sw0Q

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 15, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

man clive owen is good at acting strung out

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

atrus50 posted:

Also, they released a minute long clip from tomorrow's episode https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N7JNkJ_Sw0Q
Hey, turns out heroin is pretty addictive after all!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the premiere is tonight right?

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

the premiere is tonight right?

We're in it alright.

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 17, 2015

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Did we see Sister Harry get arrested? I don't remember that from the last episode but I haven't seen it since it last aired.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

Did we see Sister Harry get arrested? I don't remember that from the last episode but I haven't seen it since it last aired.

It's not shown. Premier was kinda rushed; didn't think health inspector would get plot so quick. This might be going full deadwood: and I mean that in a "let's spend legit time with the livery owner and develop his character" kind of way

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Oh man, so glad this show is finally back. What the gently caress was Thack doing to that woman in the rehab center? I thought it was a lobotomy but then she walked away with a bandaged nose. So... a nose job??

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

frosteh posted:

Oh man, so glad this show is finally back. What the gently caress was Thack doing to that woman in the rehab center? I thought it was a lobotomy but then she walked away with a bandaged nose. So... a nose job??

Yep, he was doing under the counter cosmetic surgeries for drugs. That's why there's been zero rehabilitation at all.

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010
I had forgotten not to eat while watching this, the nosejob was a good reminder, ewwww.
Looking forward to the coming weeks, lots of nice plots set up. Good luck finding a cure for addiction, even Methadone (not a cure) is still like 30 years away.
My favorite part of the soundtrack was the song for the fight that Cleary went to. Intense drumming, hope we get a second soundtrack release.

Sqeetschy fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 17, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gigantic pus-filled leg abscesses, detatched retinas, going cold turkey on a boat in the Atlantic ocean, and Mr. Ping negotiating OB/GYN care for his whorehouse!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

I didn't remember where we left off with most of the side characters, especially Gallinger's wife getting all her teeth pulled out. The girl Thack keeps seeing is the one that died during his attempt at a blood transfusion in the finale, right?

frosteh posted:

What the gently caress was Thack doing to that woman in the rehab center? I thought it was a lobotomy but then she walked away with a bandaged nose. So... a nose job??
The clue was when she walked out and he was like "hey, I could also give her fuller lips for the low low price of SOME loving HEROIN PLEASE GIVE ME SOME MORE"

atrus50 posted:

This might be going full deadwood: and I mean that in a "let's spend legit time with the livery owner and develop his character" kind of way
Super glad they got everyone back in New York after one episode, I really didn't want this to become too sprawling with half the storylines taking place somewhere else.

Also, here's a neat Vulture piece about Soderbergh's directing process on this.
http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/on-set-steven-soderbergh-the-knick.html

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 17, 2015

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Really liked this episode and can't wait to see where they take the budding Thackery/Gallinger romance.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I was glad to see someone finally take an active role in helping Thack kick his habit, even if that someone is a racist shithead and definitely has ulterior motives behind his "kindness." It was a twist I definitely didn't see coming.

Also, seconding putting all the characters back in New York. The whole split city/storyline thing would've spread this awesome show too thin.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The only bad thing about Cornelia being back in New York is that her plot is going to be "how do I keepy my father-in-law from raping me?"

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So happy this show is back. Just straight-up the best directing on television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

qbert posted:

So happy this show is back. Just straight-up the best directing on television.

Absolutely agree.

This was a pretty good season 2 opener. It reminded you of where all the characters were without being excruciating about it.

• Locked thread