Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

Ironically, Thack and Bertie were too cautious in their adrenaline research. If their studies had progressed to humans instead of bunnies earlier in the episode they would've known that it works better in that situation than injecting the patient with a loving strychnine / brandy mix and Abby might have survived.

It's not irony, they are gonna be pissed as gently caress when they figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Still hoping that next week starts with Thack doing a primitive form of CPR (as hinted at in s1) while Bertie runs to the lab and grabs the adrenaline. Chest compression has been around since the 1890's (at least). Abby, you were too beautiful for this world :cry:

Moltke fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 7, 2015

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Nice, Gallinger and sis waited less than a day to gently caress in ye old bed. Classy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

anatomi posted:

Nice, Gallinger and sis waited less than a day to gently caress in ye old bed. Classy.

Eh, trade in the older model for a newer less crazy one. I have no problem with this. It's like when a man would marry his brother's widow.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Solice Kirsk posted:

Eh, trade in the older model for a newer less crazy one. I have no problem with this. It's like when a man would marry his brother's widow.

If you're comparing this cad to Seth Bullock then we sir, are going to have words.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i didn't even catch that it was abby who died, i was like "man this bootleg nose job chick looks just like abby"

this show hates little girls and women's noses

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

joedevola posted:

If you're comparing this cad to Seth Bullock then we sir, are going to have words.

Of course not! I'm saying she is sort of like Bullock. Only she hasn't knocked up an opiate addict while married to another woman. So she's ahead of the game so far.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

Of course not! I'm saying she is sort of like Bullock. Only she hasn't knocked up an opiate addict while married to another woman. So she's ahead of the game so far.

Someone still lost a shitload of teeth, though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

rejutka posted:

Someone still lost a shitload of teeth, though.

:thurman:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As terrible a person as Galinger is, i feel really sorry for him, life just keeps punching him in the gut.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Oasx posted:

As terrible a person as Galinger is, i feel really sorry for him, life just keeps punching him in the gut.

When life won't stop punching you in the gut, you gotta grab (cut) life by the balls.

Moltke fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 8, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Oasx posted:

Its his own fault for bringing home the disease that killed the baby.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 8, 2015

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

r0ck0 posted:

Its his own fault for bringing home the disease that killed the baby.

It is not like he decided to kill his own child, he made a bad mistake. And i certainly don't see how you can fault him for his wife becoming a murderer.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Oasx posted:

It is not like he decided to kill his own child, he made a bad mistake. And i certainly don't see how you can fault him for his wife becoming a murderer.

I would kill the quack that took all the teeth out of my wife's head. I wouldn't even give her the chance of becoming a murderer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

I would kill the quack that took all the teeth out of my wife's head. I wouldn't even give her the chance of becoming a murderer.

She killed the second baby that he brought home right? Last season is becoming a bit hazy.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Solice Kirsk posted:

She killed the second baby that he brought home right? Last season is becoming a bit hazy.

She did, the second baby was sick and in her demented state she froze its head, because that was the way they had treated their child.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Disregard my previous statement, she nuts.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In the 90's a local historian in southern Illinois transcribed 14 years of news items about the tiny town of Millstadt, covering the years 1880-1894. The whole thing is available here. but that's not important. What is important is this news item from 1885:

quote:

- Mr. William BEAIRD, one of the oldest farmers of this vicinity committed suicide last Monday morning by taking a dose of "Rough on Rats" which accomplished what he attempted about a year ago. It is believed that ill health made him despondent and he grew tired of living, and as the first attempt to take his life by shooting failed, he this time procured the poison above named and tried it another time with more success. When the family ascertained that he had taken poison, medical aid was immediately summoned. When the physician arrived at the residence, he saw that it was too late to save him from the jaws of death. Coroner WOODS was notified and made his appearance on Monday afternoon to hold the inquest. A verdict to the effect that death was caused by taking poison was returned. The funeral took place Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock P. M. from the residence to a cemetery near Belleville. A mother, brother and sister survive him. He was not married.

Rough on Rats was real! (Also poor William Beaird, rural life in the 1880's sucked a lot)

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

Rough on Rats was real! (Also poor William Beaird, rural life in the 1880's sucked a lot)

yep.

also potus vote of confidence http://www.people.com/article/barack-obama-michelle-obama-favorite-songs-movies-moments-2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
That was an impressive fire.

I'd bet all the money I have Henry started it in an attempt to off his sister/father and cover up his crimes.

Wow, Gallinger is probably my most hated character on any tv show now. Not only a sucker-punch, but the deliberate follow-up eye injury. Goddamn.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Finally a good outcome! -> cue Thack shuffling out and collapsing on the sidewalk

Really Algie? You let yourself get sucker punched by that shithead AGAIN?

Holy gently caress, Lucy's "I'm not taking poo poo from anyone anymore" speech before killing her dad AND the scene where Effie announces herself as Barrow's new loan shark. Two great payoffs to season-long themes of gender and power. Shame it didn't work out for Cornelia.

Speaking of, so pretty.

qbert posted:

I'd bet all the money I have Henry started it in an attempt to off his sister/father and cover up his crimes.
Yeah, this episode made a hard sell for Barrow maybe being responsible but my money's still on Henry.

Hey Soderbergh, are you gonna add a The Adventures Of Young Dr. Thackery thing to the dozens of other shows / movies / recuts you have on the back burner?

oh well

Can't wait for the finale. This season was surprisingly light on gross-out surgery scenes and I expect he's gonna pull out all the stops.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 12, 2015

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Yeah, I doubt it was Barrow because he doesn't have the balls to do something like that himself. Tell someone else to do it, sure but they didn't seem interested. Its probably scumbag brother who's responsible but drat that's cold. Colder than Lucy cold.

I really hope they put a bit more happiness in the show before the end. I guess we have Bertie's hat flourish.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The twins taking their first independent steps was about as :3: a moment this show has ever had, though, and I'm glad it was in this ep because man it's getting grim now.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

The twins taking their first independent steps was about as :3: a moment this show has ever had, though, and I'm glad it was in this ep because man it's getting grim now.

the most interesting history inversion this season, as irl the girl with pneumonia died immediately due to complications with the disease and the other girl died a year and a half later.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I was expecting the twins' carriage to get hit by a car or something.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

nooneofconsequence posted:

I was expecting the twins' carriage to get hit by a car or something.
Speaking of expecting things to turn out darker than they did, I thought Cornelia's confrontation would end up with her getting killed and and her body dumped inside the walls of the new building, like in an Edgar Allan Poe story.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
This show keeps getting better. I really hope its renewed.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I just watched this one and now I'm saaaad..

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Illinois Smith posted:

Really Algie? You let yourself get sucker punched by that shithead AGAIN?

Unfortunately, Gallinger hit him on the side with his injured eye so there wasn't much he could've done. I think Algie was posturing and didn't expect him to actually fight.

But man, gently caress Gallinger for real.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Gettin' them feels that Algie is going to mutilate Gallinger in the last episode. Like perhaps literally cut his balls off. Dude has had enough of white people walking over him. He ain't getting his hospital job at the burned down hospital, he's just been told the dude who MUTILATED mentally challenged boys was RIGHT!

Snip him, Algie. No more babies for Gallinger to let die.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Eugenics didn't disappear from mainstream science until it was strongly associated with Nazi Germany, and even then, the US didn't stop supporting eugenic policies until very recently. There is even some chatter in the medical world currently about bringing back eugenics in the form of selecting for certain genes at conception (Thanks, Dick Dorkins), so if you're hoping that Algie will ever be vindicated in his lifetime, or that Gallinger will get his, don't hold your breath.

Moltke fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 15, 2015

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Oh I do think he will get his, just not professionally or on screen. Every time Gallinger tries something on his own he ruins his family. While he is successful in whatever he thinks is right he is relying entirely on his own narrow mindset to guide his actions. I anticipate the affair with the sister in law will have some complication that ends up with a flipper baby that he has to take care of.

Basically I expect Gallinger to find the 1910s's version of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide and enthusiastically use it on his own family, again.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 15, 2015

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

Unfortunately, Gallinger hit him on the side with his injured eye so there wasn't much he could've done. I think Algie was posturing and didn't expect him to actually fight.

But man, gently caress Gallinger for real.

Love that as soon as he got home, his new wife was all like "did you hit him in his bad eye?

Gallinger's sister wife is a ride or die chick.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

This episode was amazing. Nurse Elkins' POV monologue was interesting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She did him a favor. This was before you could just turn on SportsCenter and leave a paralyzed person in their room for days on end.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
finale tonite

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

atrus50 posted:

finale tonite
please make it through this one thack :(

will snorting some coke and drinking a bit of turpentine while i watch this work the same as clapping to keep a fairy alive?

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 19, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy loving poo poo that finale. That had better not be a series finale :stonk:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jesus loving Christ. So... that's it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
That was the most intense final 15 minutes of a show I've ever seen.

• Locked thread