Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

proof of concept posted:

just cop to not understanding a fluid game that doesn't stop every 10 seconds so the players can line up again and get told what exactly to do

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
im gay

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

proof of concept posted:

just cop to not understanding a fluid game that doesn't stop every 10 seconds so the players can line up again and get told what exactly to do

soccer managers are regularly fired mid season because they have a much more limited effect on the game. this is extremely rare in football because the team will virtually always do worse while either trying to maintain the system with an interim coach or trying to install a new system.

cf. http://www.footballxos.com/download/offense/pro-offense/2004-Denver-Broncos-Offense-Mike-Shanahan.pdf and https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByEOq5PCEAMKzgz.jpg

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What exactly is required to coach a soccer team?

RUN THAT WAY, KICK THE BALL!!!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i sincerely hope that fanduel and draftkings get shut down so i dont have to see their obnoxious loving ads 3,000 times every time i watch football

HI I'M CHRIS P AND I MADE $1,525 IN ONE DAY ON FANDUEL

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Bretty good at fanzy footbull

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Add blocking research into CTE and then doing a massive muckraking campaign to discredit doctors trying to publish their studies

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/researchers-find-evidence-of-cte-in-96-of-deceased-nfl-players-they-tested

They are even making a movie on the above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io6hPdC41RM

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Groovelord Neato posted:

i meant more it happened sorta regularly before they started wearing helmets and armor.

swarthmore had something like four players killed on the field in one season and that's just too many rich college white boys all at once to not have helmet rules for the sport

this was back when downs only occurred when the offense beat the poo poo so hard outta the defense that the ball could no longer be crawled toward the inzone

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Soccer takes way more skill than football. Controlling a ball with feet and sending it where you need it to go by kicking it is way harder than catching and throwing it and bumping into people.

But Americans are loving morons in general, so football appeals to them more.

Hope this helps, retards.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

enraged_camel posted:

Soccer takes way more skill than football. Controlling a ball with feet and sending it where you need it to go by kicking it is way harder than catching and throwing it and bumping into people.

Is that why most games end 1-0 or 0-0?

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
Ufc is the best sport because it combines all the best parts of other sports into one really good thing.

Punching: from hockey

Kicking: from soccer

Concussions and insanely gratuitous homo-eroticism: from football

Can be played in any high school gymnasium: from basketball

Therefore ufc is the best sport and you're wasting your time with the other sports

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkuJPwiWZ0o

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Is that why most games end 1-0 or 0-0?

Yep, like I said, scoring in soccer is actually hard, because soccer in general is hard and takes way more skill than football (which shouldn't even be called football, but again, dumb Americans etc.).

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
All real sports have players wearing helmets. The threat of getting hit in the head makes it a serious sport and not just a baby game for kids like soccer. There are exceptions of course, but it's a good rule of thumb.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

blugu64 posted:

All real sports have players wearing helmets. The threat of getting hit in the head makes it a serious sport and not just a baby game for kids like soccer. There are exceptions of course, but it's a good rule of thumb.

Yep, baby game for kids indeed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

enraged_camel posted:

Yep, like I said, scoring in soccer is actually hard, because soccer in general is hard and takes way more skill than football (which shouldn't even be called football, but again, dumb Americans etc.).

Call it what it is. A sport for poors that involves jogging for 90 minutes and never actually scoring.

Oooo almost forgot the flopping.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Call it what it is. A sport for poors that involves jogging for 90 minutes and never actually scoring.

Oooo almost forgot the flopping.

sports like hockey, rugby and football are manly.

In Soccer on the other hand the players get full time training in how to fake injuries or fouls.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Yep, baby game for kids indeed.

Cue a million gifs of soccer fuckboys taking the worst dives in the history of sports

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

etalian posted:

sports like hockey, rugby and football are manly.

yep, manly, like the real men that play them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp47DeNAukw

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

yep, manly, like the real men that play them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp47DeNAukw

Soccer fans cause massive destructive riots, shout racist things at black players and some are them are even banned from international travel.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The common denominator is a helmet.

Sports with helmets:
Football,Hockey,Baseball,etc

Games without helmets:
Soccer, Beach Volleyball, Tag,etc

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

etalian posted:

Add blocking research into CTE and then doing a massive muckraking campaign to discredit doctors trying to publish their studies

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/researchers-find-evidence-of-cte-in-96-of-deceased-nfl-players-they-tested

They are even making a movie on the above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io6hPdC41RM

Ah yes the "Will Smith wanted to try an accent on for an Oscar run this year" flick.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
the only good thing soccer has is that system where the worst teams over a year or series of years or whatever it is get dropped a level and the best teams move up a level

more pro sports should do that

otherwise soccer is loving godawful and should be eliminated immediately

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

All I'm saying is soccer is as much a sport as major league gaming.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

blugu64 posted:

All I'm saying is soccer is as much a sport as major league gaming.

i wouldnt go that far, since it could be improved

like if they made the ball smaller and harder, used a stick or something to make up for that, shrunk the field quite a bit, lowered the number of people on the field to compensate for the smaller size, shrunk the goals as well to compensate for the smaller field and "ball", loosened up the flag thing to maybe have a minute or two of timeout and also allowed more hits, added protective gear for all of these reasons, got rid of OB through the use of walls or something, and maybe added ice skates and got rid of the grass, it woould be a cool and good sport

gaming, there's nothing you can do

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The sports in and of themselves are ok it's the management, owners, and politics that are bad. Like demanding stadiums, covering up the concussion problem and everything about fifa and the Olympic committee

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I love all sports apart from golf and baseball

Seeing the lions at wembley :D

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

The sports in and of themselves are ok it's the management, owners, and politics that are bad. Like demanding stadiums, covering up the concussion problem and everything about fifa and the Olympic committee

Basically any sport that gets millions of dollars in revenue each year ends up getting corrupted.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

NFL should be renamed Handegg

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this was back when downs only occurred when the offense beat the poo poo so hard outta the defense that the ball could no longer be crawled toward the inzone

wait what

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fluo posted:

I love all sports apart from golf and baseball

Seeing the lions at wembley :D

i think even soccer and football fans can agree, gently caress golf

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fluo posted:

NFL should be renamed Handegg

football already has a great and cool name that is both descriptive as well as badass and that is gridiron

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

football already has a great and cool name that is both descriptive as well as badass and that is gridiron

I just always call it handegg because 1 mate i know gets mad at it

Same reason i call rugby egg chase lol

Fluo
May 25, 2007

US college american football is on UK TV now

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I dont think it will kickoff as noone would have gone to those universities

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol you guys do realize soccer is globally popular because it's simple and costs nothing right.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Fluo posted:

US college american football is on UK TV now

Good

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
football is good

american football that is

soccer is gay as fuckkkkk

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
theres a game on tonight not a big game but im gonna watch it in the gym for sure though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol you guys do realize soccer is globally popular because it's simple and costs nothing right.

right, we get that, i mean dying is p simple and costs nothing, but we don't look at that as a good thing

• Locked thread