Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Let me know how that works, the roof rubber on my Civic has shrunk a slight amount and I was told nothing really works so I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I use Shin Etsu grease for seals, works awesome.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kimbo305 posted:

Yup, the "gentleman's stranded on the roadside" toolbox is strapped down with a leather belt:

Stuff like this is part of the theater of the car. I actually made a Along Came Polly style spreadsheet comparing all the cars I was test driving, and the 348 got the 10/10 for the "magic" category.

The quality of the box in construction and material is really really high:

That's probably the classiest thing I have ever seen on a car.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

That's probably the classiest thing I have ever seen on a car.

Even including White Snake music videos? :aaa:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

kimbo305 posted:

I'm guessing everything is fresh from 1991:

Nothing reassures you that you're driving an old Italian car like the toolbox having a tow hook. The pouch labeled Agip is a slime inflator.

Whoa, spare headlights and fuses, that's cool, yet oddly not reassuring...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The tool kit to my w126 and my e28 both have spare lightbulbs and fuses, they're some of the most common things to fail in a car

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Actually, just thinking of my previous cars and the problems they've had, I really wish they had them as well...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

leica posted:

I use Shin Etsu grease for seals, works awesome.

How greasy is it? The targa stows behind the seats in a way that might spread the grease everywhere if I overapply and tap the leather with the seals.

I read in this awesome 90s car comparo that the 348 uses Connolly leather:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/triggerscarstuff/6941468787/in/album-72157629482452909/
I had a tub of Connolly Hide Care lying around, so I applied it to the seats a couple days ago while the car was sitting waiting for registration and inspection. What caught me off guard was how much leather there is in the cabin. Not just the seats, but also the doors, the dash, the console, trim around the floors, the parcel shelf behind the seats...
I stuck to doing just the seats because that's where the most wear is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ok, first DIY item --
I tried to write this up for FerrariChat, but it's pending moderator approval. Might as well c/p here. This is the small-time stuff I'm not afraid of doing on the car.
My engine lid wouldn't keep itself up. The lid is supposed to lift on its own when you pull the release in the cabin. The existing FC threads on doing the replacement make a few leaps in what needs to be done. I tried to give it more detail:

The Sachs SG404018 strut (application: Ford Focus) is much cheaper than the Ferrari-specific part, and has easier to use ball joint securing clips. If you're going to keep maintaining your car, you might as well switch to the SG404018, even if it pushes up a little strong.
You can get it on RockAuto here: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=576779
I suspect RockAuto will be here even after the bombs drop and only roaches crawl the earth.

Here's a comparison of the factory strut and the Sachs (right):

I thought I had done a better job of lining up the bottom ball joints, but as you can see, they're very close to the same length. Note that the piston body of the Sachs is wider. This factors in later.

A shot of the 348 engine lid lifted up (with the replaced struts):

Anyone looking to DIY should be able to find the struts easily. Note that both struts have their bolts and nuts mounted facing left.

Tip: assuming you're replacing shot struts, you don't need to worry about not scratching up the bodies of the old struts while unmounting them. Be careful not to bang into other stuff in the engine bay, of course, like the hoses and wiring looms all around the struts.

This next series of pictures is what I really wish I had when I was doing this work -- a closeup of how the factory ball joint retaining wire works.

The wire goes across the face of the cup, holding the ball in place. I bet it'd be possible to pry the cup off the ball, but I didn't feel safe using that kind of force in situ.

More pictures to show you how the wire wraps around the base of the cup:

In the last two pictures, you can see the end of the wire that you need to grab to undo the wire from the cup.

The needle-nose pliers I was using did not have great grip, and space issues meant I couldn't use certain angles. You'll have to play around to find a way to grab onto the 'cobra head' end of the wire.
Because you don't need to keep the wires or struts, you have some leeway to clamp hard around the C shape of the wire and pull away from the cup. Once you've got the C shape free, you can use your fingers to pull the wire along the axis of the strut away from the cup. This will free the imprisoned ball. Maybe this is old hat for some folks, but I'd never seen this kind of ball retention.

Tip: don't forget to have something propping up your engine lid. A work light or being outside will let you actually see what you're doing.

Recommended unmounting order is:
- right top joint
- right bottom joint
- left top joint
- left bottom joint

I'm right-handed and found it easier to access the space around the cups when leaning on the right side of the car. I figure it's easier to get familiar with the procedure on the easier side first.

When you undo the top ball joint, you can lean the strut against the intake manifold or hosing. It's not very heavy. When you undo the bottom joint, then you can just take it out.

Tip: Leave the two ball joints bolted to the engine lid supports and firewall. You can install the new struts against the old ball joints.

If you got this far, congrats, you're pretty much in the clear. Installing the new struts is a cinch.

Apologies for not having an actual picture of the SG404018's cup. Here's a generic picture:

Each cup has a metal C-clip wrapped around the back of the cup opening. The ends of the clip are "teeth" that clench around the ball joint and secure it. The C-clip has gaps under it where you can pry up with a narrow flat blade screwdriver or similar implement. Be careful that you don't push the C-clip off the cup -- it holds itself in place by tension once you pry it far enough open. My cups appeared to be pre-greased.

To put in a Sachs strut, you just need to have the C-clip pulled back as you place the cup over the ball. I did this two-handed -- one hand holds the strut and the other has the screwdriver prying the C-clip open. Maneuver the cup over the ball and press on gently. The C-clip should yield and let you slip the cup into place.

Orientation -- this is what caught me off guard. Other threads have discussed whether to mount the strut with piston body up (factory orientation and probably prefered) or piston down. My Sachs struts have a wider piston body than stock. That body pushes against the engine lid support bracket that the strut installs on. If I mount mine piston up, I can't get the necessary angle to install the other end. So I have no choice but to install piston down, even if that's worse for wear and tear. I'm ok with that if they last a couple years.

Recommended mounting order:
- left bottom joint
- left top joint
- right bottom joint
- right top joint

Honestly, this part was a cinch. I did a quick check that the ball joints were bolted in firmly, but popping on the cups was easy once I knew I used the only possible strut orientation.

The engine lid pops up pretty snappily with the new struts. They're about 10% higher force than the factory struts. Some people have suggested replacing just one side at a time to dial back the strength some to reduce whiplashing the engine lid supports and lid itself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, those wire clips to secure the balljoints are more common on older stuff. You're right to try and remove the wire to release it rather than just using brute force, it's much easier that way.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

How greasy is it? The targa stows behind the seats in a way that might spread the grease everywhere if I overapply and tap the leather with the seals.

It's not bad at all, if you use it sparingly the rubber absorbs it right up like a conditioner. It's great stuff, I find myself using it for all sorts of poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

leica posted:

It's not bad at all, if you use it sparingly the rubber absorbs it right up like a conditioner. It's great stuff, I find myself using it for all sorts of poo poo.

Cool, will try it out.

Not much today -- just drove it around. It's a really pleasant cruiser on smooth roads. On rough, the targa seal squealing is too distracting.
I was sweating a parallel park I did until I got out -- the car is really really small.

I'm still thrilled every time I see a reflection of the car or its silhouette cast on the road.

The weirdest thing was when I parked in an almost empty parking garage for dinner, and an X3 was parked behind me when I got back. The people were still in it. They didn't say hi or asking me anything about the car, but followed me for a few turns. I took a convoluted way to an exit, and the X3 was waiting with its blinkers just past the toll gate. Could have been a coincidence, but it was weird.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Give it time (yes I know it wasn't a 348 shut up)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If I had this car I would dress like this every single time I took it out.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Those clips are all over old SU carb linkages, like on my old Volvo. I always just used a mini screwdriver to pop them loose, by pushing on the little loop end. Way easier than trying to get a pliers on it.

Gorgeous car, thanks for the thread.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Those clips are all over old SU carb linkages, like on my old Volvo. I always just used a mini screwdriver to pop them loose, by pushing on the little loop end. Way easier than trying to get a pliers on it.

Yeah, the first ball joint I worked on had the clip completely hidden under the cup. It probably would have been easier to feel out the clip with one hand and then pry under it with a small screwdriver.
I'm debating whether to do the frunk struts, which are weak but still holding the frunk lid up. I'm sure I could be in and outta there in 10min.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
Gorgeous. Now do a burnout, I wanna hear this thing!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I know that on the 308s and 328s the redline was more of a suggestion and people who really wrung them out could get more out of the top end before the valves started floating. Is the same true in this engine?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ormy posted:

Gorgeous. Now do a burnout, I wanna hear this thing!

This motor is really quiet under 4k. It might be the acoustics of the engine bay, though, because it's easy to hear standing on the street behind it. On the long-term list is looking at aftermarket exhausts.
It's extremely rev happy; I've never driven a car that feels like it needs to be cruised at 3k and higher -- not the S2000, not the FC turbo.

I dunno what a practical RPM ceiling is; it hits 7800 pretty quickly and certainly seems like it still has juice left.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Love the thread so far. Please, PLEASE don't just turn around and get rid of it. Keep it through some adventures and a road trip or three at least so we can hear how it goes. Also how has this not been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roU2ltbDKfg

PS: I love that your purchasing matrix had a category for 'Magic'.

PSS: For Adventure just see what Harry's Garage did with his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRjGN--R4pE

Tindjin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 21, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tindjin posted:

Also how has this not been posted yet?

Maybe because it's not a Testarossa :question:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
That thing is sweet.

A family member had one back in the day. That was the first exotic I drove. I'd never driven a car before that you could whip the wheel back and forth and feel so attached to the road - the on-rails feeling is a trip. The engine sounds sublime too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

14 INCH DICK posted:

Requesting thread tag change to HOT

My only regret is that I can't embed this in the background as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfgf9HatIHI

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I need to make a playlist for driving songs for this car. That song will be on it, as will Night Drive and In The Air Tonight.

Does anyone have experience with specialty insurance? After updating my policy, mine took a few days to decide to use declared value, and when I give the sale price, it's coming out to 2800/6 months, which is uhhh, pretty steep. Cheaper than the Viper, though.
Hagerty doesn't cover stuff this new. I'm gonna call Grundy and Amica tomorrow.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I thought Hagerty did special interest vehicles now too?

Have you talked to them about it?

Might have to change your thread title, "To run one, you need to afford 3."

I would love to put modern efi on something like this to fully uncork the intake and exhaust. I bet the noise would be magical.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I should call them. They have 1990 as their default newest year, so I put everything in as a 1990 instead of 1991, and the site came back with "you don't satisfy the criteria."
Not sure which factor was holding me back.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

kimbo305 posted:

I need to make a playlist for driving songs for this car. That song will be on it, as will Night Drive and In The Air Tonight.

Does anyone have experience with specialty insurance? After updating my policy, mine took a few days to decide to use declared value, and when I give the sale price, it's coming out to 2800/6 months, which is uhhh, pretty steep. Cheaper than the Viper, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKD-MVfC9Ag

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

This is a double CD, buy it you won't regret it, best driving music ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0NcdQgMFXQ

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I've used these guys with no complaints though I'm currently waiting waiting on a prorated refund I just asked for.

http://americancollectors.com/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I should call them. They have 1990 as their default newest year, so I put everything in as a 1990 instead of 1991, and the site came back with "you don't satisfy the criteria."
Not sure which factor was holding me back.

kimbo305 posted:

Following up a few more qs so far:
I don't have any other car.

There's a good chance it's this, especially if it was a computer that decided against you. You might have better luck actually talking to someone there; this type of insurance is still better handled by people than machines. But it's always been my understanding with them that they won't insure any car unless you have at least one daily driver car as well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Except that one super-long O))) song.

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's a good chance it's this, especially if it was a computer that decided against you. You might have better luck actually talking to someone there; this type of insurance is still better handled by people than machines. But it's always been my understanding with them that they won't insure any car unless you have at least one daily driver car as well.

Seems fair. I do 90% of my travel by bike, in town, but I still use the car for random tasks sometimes. Just today, I drove my boss and me to the data center.

e: was puffing white for the first several minutes of the drive this morning. I know it's a bit down on oil right now, but haven't checked the radiator/overflow situation yet. It only blew white for a little bit when the delivery driver took it off the truck.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 22, 2015

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kimbo305 posted:

:monocle: Holy poo poo dude, I've been pulled over half a dozen times in the last couple of years and I don't pay that much per year. Are you getting hit with a zip code tax? Maybe try insuring it at the 'rents in the suburbs?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Das Volk posted:

:monocle: Holy poo poo dude, I've been pulled over half a dozen times in the last couple of years and I don't pay that much per year. Are you getting hit with a zip code tax? Maybe try insuring it at the 'rents in the suburbs?

Not sure what the model is. The Z06, for comparsion, was like $1000/6mon.

Hagerty said the same thing on the phone; no budge on the daily driver requirement. Still need to call Amica and Grundy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Every car should be played "I'm In Love With My Car" by Queen. It makes them feel appreciated.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Kinda feel that car would be more like a "Carfuckers, Inc" if I owned it

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Would it make economical sense to buy and insure a cheap beater just to conform to the "must have a DD on the side" requirement? Or is there a mileage limit as well?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's probably finding somewhere to park another car in Boston that's the issue

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

kimbo305 posted:

Not sure what the model is. The Z06, for comparsion, was like $1000/6mon.

Hagerty said the same thing on the phone; no budge on the daily driver requirement. Still need to call Amica and Grundy.
Holy loving poo poo.

I can insure one fully comp - provided I fit a tracker and garage it at night - for $350 per year.

Edit: Jesus Christ, keeping it out on the driveway - in my somewhat chavvy area - would make it $25 cheaper.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 23, 2015

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Das Volk posted:

Boston insurance is pretty high in general, I have no record at all and I pay ~800/year for an 01 Miata. If I lived near downtown crossing it would be even higher. People love to hit each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I got a really nice 2 car discount with my current insurance -- basically the 2nd car would be $100/6mon (I dunno why I keep using the pay period instead of per year).
That said, I wouldn't get the discount if I split between normal insurance and Hagerty.

Let's say a beater would cost 3000 a year for amortized cost, insurance, maintenance, gas, etc. I need to get $3000/year or better with Hagerty to make it worth it. I think that's possible. Though I only have the 1 indoor parking spot, and street parking is a huge drag, even if I only have to move the car once or twice a month for street cleaning.

Just called Amica, and I'm down to 1200/yr for the same coverage. So definitely switching.

• Locked thread