Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Oxxidation posted:

It's a bit of a cheat, since there's a swapped vowel. But she's your tuTorial.

She's also a cow, so maybe there's a play on taurus (Latin for bull) as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ultrafilter posted:

I always thought she was a goat...bunny...thing.

Like a Nu Mou from the FFTA games, but with horns.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

She's actually meant to be a sheep. Though she's the one doing the shepherding.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Samael posted:

I found out this game because of Slowbeef and his undertale stream. He got to this point and he killed Toriel without a hint of remorse or hesitation. I actually shouted swear words at the screen as he did that and that showed me that this is a loving good game to get me so invested into it.

How could someone be so horrible :(

It's funny though how in any other RPG, even when it's a plot battle where you wouldn't want to kill your opponent, you still just fight fight fight, assuming that the plot will take care of whatever the proper story option is, cause that's the only mechanic you have.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Bifauxnen posted:

How could someone be so horrible :(

It's funny though how in any other RPG, even when it's a plot battle where you wouldn't want to kill your opponent, you still just fight fight fight, assuming that the plot will take care of whatever the proper story option is, cause that's the only mechanic you have.

Suikoden 2 had something almost exactly like this, where the correct solution was to just keep defending and refuse to fight.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Xenogears also had that during the Aveh Tournament. Fight or not, your opponent is still a kid trying to avenge his sister and village you vaporized.

It was good to see that the full game's tutorial is a little bit different than the demo.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Lilli posted:

This is the sequence that just sold me on the game. The Toriel fight was just absolutely heart wrenching for me. I didn't kill her; I spared her from the start, but I loaded my game multiple times to try and find out if there was a way to stay with her or something because I was so taken in by her grief.

For me it was one of those really rare, powerful moments where the gameplay and the narrative and the music and even the aesthetic all came together into this one fantastic, special moment that I'll never have back now that I've played and talked about the game enough that I've started thinking about it on more of a systemic meta-level. The moment I realized I was basically getting the emotional impact of a Mother endboss from the tutorial was when I knew this was something really, really special.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Welcome to the Undertale Demo! I want to look over some stuff before I continue the real story along.

Before going any further, let's look at the extremely helpful instruction manual that game with the game!

How helpful!

Now, into the demo I go.

Menu looks a little different from the full game.

Starting room is slightly different, too, but it's the same idea.

This guy is the same.

I think I'll mess with him a bit.

Hey buddy, you missed them.
Let's try that again, okay?

Gosh I'm bad at this.

You know what's going on here, don't you?
You just wanted to see me suffer.

Things proceed as before from there. I'll do a few things differently to keep it interesting.

Before talking, I'll Check the Dummy.

Dummy looks like it's going to fall over.

Then I talk to it, and the game continues as normal.

I think I'll take two pieces of candy.

I feel judged.

I'll try hitting Napstablook with some Threat.

It doesn't advance the battle.

This room only had one Froggit in it in the demo, not three.

This item was hidden in the lower-left pit, from the room with six pits in it.

Description:

And the Bandage it replaced:

After you take it off, it ceases to be armor, only usable as a healing item.

Later, when I get the Toy Knife:

And the Stick it replaced:

But that's enough messing around.

I'm playing to see what else might happen from here.

Like many players, I didn't initially think to use Mercy here.

I thought the only way to advance was to Fight.

Here's a first for the LP - what attacking looks like.

Press Z when the bar is closest to the center to do the most damage.

The attacks are all the same.

I wonder if she really can kill me, though?

Once you reach 2 HP, her attacks all start veering off to the sides.

Toriel isn't a murderer.

Around now, I begin to think that something should happen soon.

When I get her to critical health, something will change. I'll have proven myself.

W... Wait.

This isn't what I wanted.

You are stronger than I thought...
Listen to me, small one...
If you go beyond this door,
Keep walking as far as you can.
Eventually you will reach an exit.

Asgore's plan cannot be allowed to succeed.
Be good, won't you?

Toriel dies.

I just gained a whole lot of LOVE.

I hope you like your choice.
After all, it'snot as if you can go back and change fate.
In this world, it's kill or be killed.
That old hag thought she could break the rules.
She etried so hard to save you humans.
But when it came down to it...
Hee hee...

WHAT AN IDIOT!!

Like hell I can't change fate.

I load my game.

Hmph.
You are just like the others.
There is only one solution to this.
Prove yourself...
Prove to me you are strong enough to survive!

...why are you looking at me like that?
Like you have seen a ghost.
Do you know something that I do not?
No... That is impossible.

This time, I do it right.

I saved Toriel's life.

I changed fate!

You think you're really smart, don't you?
In this world, it's kill or be killed.
So you were able to play by your own rules.
You spared the life of a single person.
Hee hee hee...
But don't act so cocky.
I know what you did.

And then you went back, because you regretted it.
Ha ha ha ha...
You naive idiot.
Do you think you are the only one with that power?
The power to reshape the world...
Purely by your own determination.
The ability to play God!

I thought I was the only one with that power. But...
I can't SAVE anymore.
Apparently YOUR desires for this world override MINE.
Well well.
Enjoy that power while you can.
I'll be watching.

When I quit, something is a little different about the instruction manual. It's on the last page...

This goes deeper, though.

From a fresh copy of the demo:

I spare Toriel.

Then, I load my game...

...and kill Toriel.

You spared her life...
Then you decided that just wasn't interesting enough for you.
So you murdered her just to see what would happen.
You killed her out of boredom.
Hee hee...
You naive idiot.
Do you think you are the only one with that power?
The power to reshape the world...
Purely by your own determination.
The ability to play God!

I thought I was the only one with that power. But...
I can't SAVE anymore.
Apparently YOUR desires for this world override MINE.
Well well.
Enjoy that power while you can.
I'll be watching.

The instruction manual changed again.

If you take anything away from this non-continuity diversion, let it be this:

Flowey remembers.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Won't be showing The genocide run for the demo then?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Maybe later.

e: My favorite detail in this update is this:

Specifically Flowey's nervous glance over at his own speech bubble before adjusting the wording.

e2: I believe there's at least one more dialogue branch from Flowey in this scene, which I might also try to show off later.

It's if you kill Toriel ten times in a row.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 23, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:stonklol:
Flowey terrifies me.
I guess we know who we have to thank for the underworld's state?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Omobono posted:

:stonklol:
Flowey terrifies me.
I guess we know who we have to thank for the underworld's state?

That's thanks to humans. They're the ones who locked monsters underground in the first place.

Given that your current array of enemies has consisted of shy frogs, shyer bugs, seductive Zen slimes, weirdly assertive vegetables, an insecure Cyclops, a mite who hides the spirit of the dance, a depressed yet dapper ghost, and Goat-Mom, it looks like things could be a lot worse. Flowey is the only real jerk you've met so far.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oxxidation posted:

That's thanks to humans. They're the ones who locked monsters underground in the first place.

Given that your current array of enemies has consisted of shy frogs, shyer bugs, seductive Zen slimes, weirdly assertive vegetables, an insecure Cyclops, a mite who hides the spirit of the dance, a depressed yet dapper ghost, and Goat-Mom, it looks like things could be a lot worse. Flowey is the only real jerk you've met so far.

This is the zone actively patrolled by goat-mom, I'd assume she cleaned up a bit when she moved here. Goat-mom also thinks of the rest of the underworld as an horrible place, and I'm willing to believe her.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

WELP :stare:

Consider me intrigued. Is there a link to the demo in here, or is that against SA policy?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

StrangeAeon posted:

WELP :stare:

Consider me intrigued. Is there a link to the demo in here, or is that against SA policy?

You can get the demo here. I'll go ahead and edit it into the OP, actually.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I forgot what the manual looked like as it originally was.
Dealing with the puppet was great.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I doubt this is a spoiler, but If you can, please show what happens if you go out of your way to die in the Toriel fight. It's a little detail, but still neat.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Confession, when this demo initially came out like three years ago or whatever I cheated at it :shobon:

Details in spoiler tags: Flowey isn't magic. When you kill a monster, kill Toriel, or spare Toriel, the demo writes to an .ini file which most people would just dismiss as 'dumb systems crap' and ignore. But it is very, very editable. Open that poo poo up in Notepad and find that it's not even a binary file. You can get Flowey to say anything you want him to without jumping through his hoops if you hack it. That's how I managed to get the kill-Toriel-ten-times-in-a-row ending. :ssh:

That said, I forgot how much fun I had with that little tech demo and I'll probably be playing the rest of the game now. Thanks for showing it to me again :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, that bit with Toriel got me to pick up the game.

Poor woman. She just wanted to help.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Add 1 to the 'bought game because of LP' list, needed to find out what happens if you're a good child and wait for goat mom as she asks of you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I never got the sense from that sequence that there was going to be a twist that she was evil. I mean from little, off details like the many pairs of shoes and toys. It felt like desperation, instead, which I suppose it was.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

loquacius posted:

Confession, when this demo initially came out like three years ago or whatever I cheated at it :shobon:

Haven't played this or the Demo. Though I was wondering about stuff like that, and I guess it'd be a bit more tricky to account for that when progamming, to have Flowey comment about the power to surpass "Save" Humans have _____"Edit"_____

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

If it's not obvious from the LP, Toriel's defense suddenly drops to nothing part-way through the fight. Even if you've guessed that the game won't let you just 'kill' the boss and have her be fine, maybe kneeling and panting a little in the post-battle cut-scene, even if you're trying to be careful not to deal a killing blow and just carefully whittle her down to pokeball territory, you end up critically hitting her at the worst possible time.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bifauxnen posted:

I tried Mercy on Toriel a couple of times. It didn't work and I thought "ah, I have to stand up to her for a bit and then she'll realize I can take car of myself and stop fighting".

Then I critted and killed her. :smith:

Also, the flames avoiding you when you're low on HP is a great detail. She's making a show of strength so you run away.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That thing in spoiler tags. God I can't imagine doing that. I know normal gameplay instincts mean "kill everything that moves" if its really important it'll be flagged immortal anyway.

The game does wonders in instilling morality.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I believe there's another bit of dialogue you can get with Flowey Just kill some regular encounters and then spare Toriel

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Fat Samurai posted:

I tried Mercy on Toriel a couple of times. It didn't work and I thought "ah, I have to stand up to her for a bit and then she'll realize I can take car of myself and stop fighting".

Then I critted and killed her. :smith:

That's pretty much what happened on my first time through as well, though I thought bringing the life bar down to zero would mean just roughing her up to the point where she realizes that I can fight. Then she died and I was all like "well... poo poo". Just restarting or reloading never occurred to me, though, because of Mercy not working after the first few times, I thought that killing was the only option - I wouldn't have put it past the game to just force you to kill her, so I just moved on. Guess I should have taken the Steam page's blurb seriously - "The RPG game where you don't have to destroy anyone."

Also, I'd like to please ask that if you're reading this LP and think the story is interesting, but haven't actually played it yet, please go and play the game for yourself. To me, this is one of those games where going through it yourself makes a world of difference in experiencing it. An LP like this is an excellent supplemental material for the parts you missed, and as such it's absolutely invaluable, because you will miss SO much poo poo, everybody does, but go through the game yourself. Once, twice, until you feel satisfied - and if you get drawn into things like I did, there will definitely be a point where you'll feel satisfied.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Blackheart posted:

I doubt this is a spoiler, but If you can, please show what happens if you go out of your way to die in the Toriel fight. It's a little detail, but still neat.

If this happens, it'll have to be way later, because I just spent fifty consecutive turns trying and failing to touch Toriel's bullets when at low health. Maybe when I get to my third run.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It happened to me in my very first playthrough when the demo came out, I guess I must be very skilled at being bad. She just has a funny OH poo poo reaction, that's all that happens.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

ProfessorProf posted:

If this happens, it'll have to be way later, because I just spent fifty consecutive turns trying and failing to touch Toriel's bullets when at low health. Maybe when I get to my third run.

If anyone really wants to see it, this video shows it off, it's not exactly the longest secret.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i killed her without hesitation or remorse. come at me fuckers.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Inflammatory posted:

My brother really wants to see a human, so it'd really help me out if you kept pretending to be one.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Inflammatory posted:

Enjoy the rest of your run!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I almost think the most emotionally satisfying way to play this game would be to mercilessly kill everything in a traditional RPG fashion the first time, and then try to "fix it" by killing no one a second time.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Inflammatory posted:

No gimmick-posting

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

I almost think the most emotionally satisfying way to play this game would be to mercilessly kill everything in a traditional RPG fashion the first time, and then try to "fix it" by killing no one a second time.

Doing it the other way around is a good way to make yourself feel like absolute poo poo, btw. :shepicide:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I like your new avatar.

I actually didn't know about most of that stuff you showed off, because I never killed toriel.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I just picked this up because of the LP and played about an hour and I'm not much further than the LP so far. This game is bizarre and fun, and mercy-ing Toriel is actually a really interesting set piece in this game. So far the game has me utterly convinced that I can and should avoid violence at all costs. I'm looking forward to how it uses that against me later.

e: the rest of this might fall under past spoilers so never mind.

copy fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 24, 2015

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

I've killed Toriel and a few other monsters before her because I'm stupid, and then restarted and went full non-lethal
But now I know that everything I do is stored, so I'm really worried if I'm already locked out of some ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dasmause posted:

I've killed Toriel and a few other monsters before her because I'm stupid, and then restarted and went full non-lethal
But now I know that everything I do is stored, so I'm really worried if I'm already locked out of some ending

You can't be locked out of any ending by restarting, technically - though certain characters (usually Flowey) will call you out on restarting just to get a different outcome than you already got.

• Locked thread