Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009
topeka for sure. it's like a half scale, shittier version of des moines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Of all the state capitols, which city is the worst? Feel free to talk about DC as well.

My vote is Harrisburg, PA.

Albany, NY and Richmond, VA kinda blow too. Annapolis, MD is nice if you own a yacht, super boring if you actually live there.

E: fun fact, Annapolis is the only state capitol without a train station.

Fun fact: your mom was a train station last night

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Austin is p poo poo now cali moved in

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
You all are idiots because it's definitely Dover. There's an abandoned kmart and an abandoned walmart, ffs. The murder rate is fairly low because people aren't even competent enough to shoot one another.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the general consensus is that state capitals suck

a better thread would be "which is the best?"

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The best state capital is probably Austin, TX

Other good ones: Nashville? Compared to the other bullshit discussed in this thread, Santa Fe might qualify. I mean, it's not a flaming poo poo-dumpster or anything. Madison, WI?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Lil Peeler posted:

Fun fact: your mom was a train station last night

Rude, though she was in Annapolis last night haha

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Your fun fact is incorrect/outdated, might wanna fix that bro.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bismark by a mile OP.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Augusta Maine . Went there for work trip and omg

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Without a doubt, Austin is the worst state capital. Texas is poo poo and Austin is that piece of undigested corn peeking out.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Columbus is pretty crap. But the shopping at Polaris to the north-east of the city is pretty awesome.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
Augusta

From the city council FAQ about trees.

Can I plant a tree on city property?
No.

Can the Tree Warden come out to my yard and look at the trees in my backyard for tree care issues?
Under certain circumstances, the Tree Warden may assist homeowners with tree care issues in the backyard. However, it would be advice only and a list of licensed arborists would be provided to the homeowner for them to call to accomplish the specific work.

If a city tree is blocking my view, can I cut it down?
No – please call the Tree Warden at 207-626.2352.

If a city tree is blocking my view, can I prune it?
By law, you can prune a tree up to your property line, however, it would be best to call the Tree Warden at 626.2352 to discuss the matter to determine what would be in the best interest for the tree, the City and the homeowner.

If I want to learn more about the care of trees on my property, can the Tree Warden help me?
You can participate in our Tree Steward program. There you have the opportunity to learn more about the proper care and maintenance of trees that you can put to use on your own trees as well as volunteering time as a Tree Steward on newly planted city trees.

What do I do if a tree comes down on my power lines?
DO NOT TOUCH THE POWER LINE OR ANYTHING NEAR IT. Call your power company immediately.

What does the Tree Warden do?
Manages the trees in the City of Augusta from the streets to the streams.

What is the best tree to plant in the city?
There really is no “best tree” to plant; there are a number of very good species to choose from. The most important item to remember before planting any tree is to test your soils. One needs to select the tree that would be suitable to the soils on the site rather than plant a tree that may “look good” there. For more information, please call the Tree Warden at 207-626-2352.

Who is the City Tree Warden?

Tree Warden - Jim Goulet

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Downtown Annapolis on a Saturday night is full of tourists, alcoholics who don't own a boat, and more tourists.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

For real if you ever visit Downtown Annapolis, just take a boat up there driving through there sucks.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

symbolic posted:

a better thread would be "which is the best?"

easy, Denver.

thjread would be over instantly

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BigBoss posted:

Without a doubt, Austin is the worst state capital. Texas is poo poo and Austin is that piece of undigested corn peeking out.

But it has lots of live music, attractive college girls and Romeo Rose.

Xaris posted:

easy, Denver.

thjread would be over instantly

I saw Gandalf one time at the 16th street mall

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Des Moines is easily the best capitol tho.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Jastiger posted:

Des Moines is easily the best capitol tho.
ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahha

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

symbolic posted:

A vibrant state capital that attracts tourists from all over the world.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

legit surprised no one mentioned jefferson city yet

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS
well apparently no one has ever been to Lansing, MI because god gently caress that poo poo hole of a capitol

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I got a job offer from the state of South Dakota that paid a lot better than my current job. Unfortunately you couldn't pay me to live in Pierre SD, so I did not take the job.

I don't think it's the worst capital, but it has been under represented in this thread. I mean for God's sake, the recruiter told me that having a Walmart and a Target was a perk of living there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deki posted:

I mean for God's sake, the recruiter told me that having a Walmart and a Target was a perk of living there.

lol

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Indianapolis. Imagine Indiana's terribleness distilled into a strip mall, that's Indy. Also Cheyenne is probably smaller than the suburbs most of you grew up/currently live in. Cheyenne is so bad you probably don't even remember which state that is (wyoming)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

Goon Challenge: Des Moines is good. Come to Des Moines and experience the ownage.

Indianapolis has to be up there. I take calls from all across the East coast in my job and Indianapolis is always full of terrible people. Baltimore would probably top it if it was a capital.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol if you state has more terrified farm animals than wildlife

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
The one I would least like to visit is Phoenix. Phoenix and its suburbs appear to be unsustainable hellholes. Extreme heat, kidnapping, rich old fucks, poor old fucks, sprawling golf courses everywhere, drugs, the Diamondbacks, and more drugs.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Of all the state capitols, which city is the worst? Feel free to talk about DC as well.

My vote is Harrisburg, PA.

Albany, NY and Richmond, VA kinda blow too. Annapolis, MD is nice if you own a yacht, super boring if you actually live there.

none of those are capitols you dumbass idiot

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
here is the nebraska state capitol

looks pretty good, if only for the fact that most other state capitols look more or less identical

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_capitols_in_the_United_States

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
alaska just doesn't give a poo poo

which I guess is commendable, because anyone who thinks anyone gives a poo poo about any state capitol in the country is deluded

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Idiot Kicker posted:

The one I would least like to visit is Phoenix. Phoenix and its suburbs appear to be unsustainable hellholes. Extreme heat, kidnapping, rich old fucks, poor old fucks, sprawling golf courses everywhere, drugs, the Diamondbacks, and more drugs.

I've been there and yes, your perception is correct. Santa Fe (though Albuquerque almost as lovely as Phoenix) and SLC are actually surprisingly pretty decent.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 21, 2015

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005
has anyone said salem oregon yet because gently caress that town

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Not a state but DC chat is cool itt. It happens to be the city I live closest to, I'm on the Virginia side.

Nice place, but the only conversation you will have with someone is about what job you/they have.

Or no conversation at all, because the bars are all packed to the gills and deafened by bass so loud you can feel it pushing you away from the speakers.
One thing I have always liked about this area, though, is that the hooking up gets down to business quickly. Maybe a little conversation about work, because what the gently caress else is there to talk about around here besides traffic or monuments, and then it's on to the loving.

I have not found this to be true for most of the rest of the country, but that may be because the women were simultaneously less attractive and more stuck up, which frankly seems impossible, because nobody has a stick up their rear end like a daddy's girl from...well, anywhere in fairfax or loudoun counties.

Macnult posted:

Downtown Annapolis on a Saturday night is full of tourists, alcoholics who don't own a boat, and more tourists.

I've hosed plenty of girls from Annapolis, and I can assure you that there is nothing worth doing in Annapolis, especially not the women.

On the other hand, they hold the Renn Fest near there, so it's not all bad! But, for real, gently caress Maryland.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Mississippi
Arizona
New Jersey

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Flambeau posted:

Mississippi
Arizona
New Jersey
please don't take away jersey, else PA becomes the northeast punching bag

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
i've been to 45 state capitals

jackson, mississippi is a toilet

followed by trenton, nj

harrisburg

dover, delaware

i dunno man, but now that i think about it richmond is pretty bad too

oh man i forgot little rock. a guy got murdered outside of my hotel room there. about a month ago some hooker was banging on the side of my truck at 3am at a truck stop. i ignored her, she stumbled like 100 feet and some dudes just rolled up, threw her into a car and drove off. she left one shoe behind and a weave.

Harakiri Potter fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 21, 2015

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm guessing not many of you guys have been to Cheyenne

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zeno-25 posted:

its kind of lovely yeah, but it's typical wyoming city which are all pretty lovely (aside from jackson which is just touristy but kind of fun at least). not nearly as bad as a lot of capitals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Zeno-25 posted:

This qualifies as an interstate in Cheyenne :negative:

• Locked thread