Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
That's surmountable though, yeah? I know nothing of netcode in general let alone Squad's in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Willie Tomg posted:

That's surmountable though, yeah? I know nothing of netcode in general let alone Squad's in particular.

Oh, of course. We are going to have vehicles by Early Access, it's top priority. There are no small tasks being done right now, only vehicles and steam integration :)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

If it grows into anything remotely close to what PR has become it will be the definitive shooter of this decade. If you haven't tried PR, do it, it's free. Everything from Black Hawk Down to Chechnya to France fighting in North Africa, even weird poo poo like German paratroopers fighting Russia and France vs China is in the game. There are even some Vietnam maps which are fun as gently caress. There's such an immense amount of variety and the very finely-tuned mix of arcade vs realism action is perfect.

I just hope that the features are implemented a bit better so it's more accessible, removing a lot of the community elitism that turns people the gently caress off.

TheMirage posted:

Has anyone tried TacBF for ARMA3 which seems to be the same game in ARMA3 form? It's funny how many variations there are of this exact game.
Problem with ARMA is that it's an industry simulator that is sold to governments with the highest bid masquerading as a game made for general consumption. The modding potential is insane, it's become more of a modding platform, but the core experience still sucks as a game.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I just hope that the features are implemented a bit better so it's more accessible, removing a lot of the community elitism that turns people the gently caress off.

Problem with ARMA is that it's an industry simulator that is sold to governments with the highest bid masquerading as a game made for general consumption. The modding potential is insane, it's become more of a modding platform, but the core experience still sucks as a game.

I feel like That's just a problem with the idiosyncrasies of BF2 and can be worked out in a complete rebuild, but we'll see. Also Squad should stay as far, far away from ARMA 3 as possible, that "game" is a loving blight.

RocketRaygun, how's the intended scope going to compare to PR (such as larger numbers of aircraft and vehicles and large maps/playercounts) and does moving to a new engine present many gameplay problems? The most pressing issue I can think of is the lack of world/viewdistance fog in UE4 compared to Refractor making tanks be able to shoot and see each other from each other's main bases, or aircraft being able to immediately spot each other on takeoff. Are you guys going to have to make a lot of changes to the PR formula to compensate, or are you just going to stick with having a world fog on every map?

I feel like keeping the viewdistance limited/a "fog of war" would be the best bet since it will stay true to the proven formula of PR, because I don't see many ways around resorting to making engagement ranges be actually realistic. That doesn't always equal fun, though- I don't think having 2 KM engagement ranges for tanks or ATGMs or having CAS get blown up from a missile fired from several KM away would be a very good route to go. There's a reason PR is still being played after nearly a decade.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

I feel like keeping the viewdistance limited/a "fog of war" would be the best bet since it will stay true to the proven formula of PR, because I don't see many ways around resorting to making engagement ranges be actually realistic. That doesn't always equal fun, though- I don't think having 2 KM engagement ranges for tanks or ATGMs or having CAS get blown up from a missile fired from several KM away would be a very good route to go. There's a reason PR is still being played after nearly a decade.

Honestly, I don't know if that will be a problem. I think it's a 'solve it when we get there' type of deal.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't see why it is a bad thing either. Anything you have that can effectively engage targets beyond a kilometer is probably going to get you a lot of attention from the enemy as soon as you use it. And that is assuming that resources + opportunities even allow you to be as useful sitting that far away from the action as you'd have been if you were fighting with your team at the front.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

You say that now but just wait until the first time a tank is plopped on top of a mountain lobbing HE at your spawn from 3 km away and all your assets are dead. It's gonna definitely be an issue once big combined arms stuff comes down the road.

I guess you could make ATGMs more prevalent, but then it might take the fun out of being in assets. Part of why PR is so fun is the lethality and survivability of assets; killing a tank or CAS thing is a pretty big game-shifting event, but if you tip the balance too far the other way it makes them somewhat irrelevant.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 10, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

You say that now but just wait until the first time a tank is plopped on top of a mountain lobbing HE at your spawn from 3 km away and all your assets are dead. It's gonna definitely be an issue once big combined arms stuff comes down the road.

Pretty sure that's just the righteous insertion of freedom :911:

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

RocketRaygun posted:

Oh, of course. We are going to have vehicles by Early Access, it's top priority. There are no small tasks being done right now, only vehicles and steam integration :)

I'm determined to nag a few buddies of mine to buy the game and play with me once the vehicles get added and are fairly unbugged :)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
When does this drop onto Steam and get that extra price increase? It sounds like it's soon and I want to save 5 dollars :argh:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think it's coming this month to steam early access for $30, with the release price being $35, but I could be wrong.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Early Access is in December for $30.

I wonder how this will impact Insurgency and whichever mods have you...

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
How is the game right now? Is it unoptimized?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not at all, recent patch is smooth as hell even on my ancient pc.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

soy posted:

Not at all, recent patch is smooth as hell even on my ancient pc.

What are your specs?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subyng posted:

What are your specs?

quote:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16360MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

I built this PC for battlefield 4.

SSDs and such, and the CPU is overclocked... I have the settings relatively low but high view distance and stuff but I would do that to any multiplayer FPS because I want smooth frames for aiming consistency over all else.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
If that's ancient my PC must be prehistoric.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

The Unreal Engine has issues with AMD processors, and we've got some work to do with Animations, but for the most part it runs fine. I get 60 fps on my aging gaming PC.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When it comes to vehicle damage one of the dev on a twitch stream earlier stated they couldn't implemented everything because there's a finite numbers of events the game engine may process due to technical limitations.

Which is interesting, what's the current technical bottleneck? Is this a Unreal Engine limitation? How? And if it's a hardware limitation, what kind of hardware are the servers running on?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

First time playing since the closed alpha was first available, really. I definitely enjoy the additions so far! I'm hoping to see that 870 we saw renders of awhile back in the game at some point soon. I know they said they wanted the weapons to all feel and handle different, is there currently any difference between say the AKM or the AKM clone with the donkey-dick foregrip on it statistically or are all the 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 weapons basically cloned reskins of the other weapons sharing the same caliber?

Do you guys still plan a more comprehensive and extended class system, things like Spotters, HAT, Engineers/Sappers, Breachers, the kind of guys we had in PR basically, and do you still intend them to have any sort of loadout customization?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
There's a discussion going on in the Squad forums which talks about how right now the devs want all the kit availability to scale up with how many people are in the squad. (no LAT, grenadiers until 4+, multiple special roles at 8+)

Also it seems like all the kits are going to be selected through the respawn screen. I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to switch kits like in PR; that's going to hurt the whole medic system and healing to preserve tickets.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Yeah, needing to get limited kits from a cache or crate and having kits limited in numbers to team was a vital balancing point in PR.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
They just put the latest version on steam; everyone should all ready have gotten their keys. Vehicles are still too buggy so they aren't in yet. Early access release is on the 15th.

Closed Alpha Version 3 (Hotfix 3.2)

quote:

Major Features

The Russians and Militia enter the fray!
Prepare your war calls, as you join the Russians Ground Forces on the hunt. This Kickstarter stretch goal has been in development to debut as our first inhouse character models, and we're ready to showcase the Russian face-off against the Militia faction. We snuck in the irregular Militia as our second inhouse character model set, which will be modular to match the theater/locale of future maps. Special mention to our finalized AK74M and RPK74M models in-game.

New Map: Fools Road
Featuring Russia vs Militia, Fools Road is the first Eastern European map! Experience the rolling hills and dense forests, showing off the power of the Unreal Engine.
Fought over for years in our prior mod, this is one of the legacy maps we are updating into UE4 to give a nod to our history, the map is still in development and the roadside ambushes arrive soon, for now we push game play into the forested hills on the road to Dylym village.

New Map: Sumari Bala
You wanted urban environments? You got it. A much denser and more claustrophobic map, Sumari Bala is a literal maze of slums, market complexes and alleyways designed to confuse and disorient ill-prepared squads. This map is also still in development, and we will be continuing to add, expand and detail the city in future iterations. But for now this will be a taster!

New Map: Jensens Range
The training map, Jensens Range, has been added to the Training button! Featuring pop-up targets, multiple types of shooting ranges and combat environments, Jensens Range is the perfect place to get familiar with weapon mechanics or just polish up your skills.

Steam Support
Squad is now on Steam for Founders backers! With this patch you will no longer have to log in to the game, and all the steam features are enabled!

Improved New Player tooltips
With the upcoming Steam Early Access release, weve done a pass on our UI to improve the new player usability, adding Tooltips, better wording to explain how to spawn and get in game, as well as a number of other useful hints for new players. We will continue to add to these as we approach our December 15th Early Access release.

Role Limits
We have implemented a system of Kit Role limitations that takes into account how many kits are limited to the entire team (and not just Squads), as well as the range and diversity of kit roles that are available to different sized Squads. Generally the more populous a squad is, the more Roles open to members of that squad there are.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Is there an approximate adjusted timeframe to have vehicles in, or is that too finicky of a question to answer at the moment?

In either case, looking forward to the 15th :)

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!

Willie Tomg posted:

Is there an approximate adjusted timeframe to have vehicles in, or is that too finicky of a question to answer at the moment?

In either case, looking forward to the 15th :)

Hopefully by the next update (that's my wish) but no official word yet, I think. Last I heard, they are drivable in the developers build but the implementation is still rudimentary. Won't be there on the 15th though, pretty sure of that.

Either way though, been playing the new version on Steam and it's really coming together. Performance seems to be great (unless you're running an AMD, in that case you're screwed) and it's a lot of fun. The overhaul of the forest maps is great, I've avoided them for the past few updates, but now they're a lot of fun.
Militia has replaced the insurgent faction on all AAS maps, which is a bit of a shame but in line with how it works in PR.
Overall, it's really great. Don't really see myself going back to RO2 or Arma 3 anytime soon, this is my tactical shooter of choice from now on!

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
So loving excited for this. Haven't played Project Reality since Aphex Twin was the loading music but I've been thinking about it constantly for years.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

gimpfarfar posted:

unless you're running an AMD, in that case you're screwed

Crap...... do you think AMD users will be fine with future patches?

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

Knightsoul posted:

Crap...... do you think AMD users will be fine with future patches?

There's been a lot of feedback and complaints from AMD CPU users (AMD GPU's are fine it seems?) on the forums, so I can't imagine it's not being worked on, especially if it's an Unreal 4-related issue. Even I started getting the micro-stutters and 1-2 second freezes yesterday (the main symptom for AMD users) with an i7 and a gtx965m. Restarting the game fixed it for me, though.

Servers seem to be ramping up the population as well, most servers go up to 70 slots now. Hopefully we'll get some vehicles on the 15th! A lot of hiking at the moment, especially on the bigger servers/maps.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Have backers received access to the 15th build yet? From the changelog, it seems like they've added a ton, and I'd be surprised if optimization wasn't a huge focus.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

protip: never buy amd

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Have backers received access to the 15th build yet? From the changelog, it seems like they've added a ton, and I'd be surprised if optimization wasn't a huge focus.

A patch dropped last night on Steam. It looks like bug fixes for the most part, so I'm not sure it's the build for the 15th or not, but I'd hazard a guess that we'll see one more beforehand.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Hey dev guy, are you planning on keeping Militia on the desert maps? They don't exactly seem like a proper fit. I understand having them there temporarily because... well, alpha and there's only one map they do fit in, but green gorkas don't exactly look right in the desert.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Is there any plans to make large modern city maps like in Project Reality?

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

GyverMac posted:

Is there any plans to make large modern city maps like in Project Reality?

Yeap, as part of the kickstarter campaign one of the stretch goals was to remake two maps from Project Reality (one was a bonus, Fool's Road, which is in the current Steam build) - the other is Fallujah West, after a community vote :)

Another patch released on Steam today, from what I hear it's the release candidate for Early Access, barring any major surprizes. No vehicles, but one new map (Chora, which is really cool) and a bunch of fixes. Focus seem to be on server stability, which is a good thing

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

gimpfarfar posted:

Yeap, as part of the kickstarter campaign one of the stretch goals was to remake two maps from Project Reality (one was a bonus, Fool's Road, which is in the current Steam build) - the other is Fallujah West, after a community vote :)

Another patch released on Steam today, from what I hear it's the release candidate for Early Access, barring any major surprizes. No vehicles, but one new map (Chora, which is really cool) and a bunch of fixes. Focus seem to be on server stability, which is a good thing

drat those scrubs for not voting Kokan.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gimpfarfar posted:

Hopefully by the next update (that's my wish) but no official word yet, I think. Last I heard, they are drivable in the developers build but the implementation is still rudimentary. Won't be there on the 15th though, pretty sure of that.

Either way though, been playing the new version on Steam and it's really coming together. Performance seems to be great (unless you're running an AMD, in that case you're screwed) and it's a lot of fun. The overhaul of the forest maps is great, I've avoided them for the past few updates, but now they're a lot of fun.
Militia has replaced the insurgent faction on all AAS maps, which is a bit of a shame but in line with how it works in PR.
Overall, it's really great. Don't really see myself going back to RO2 or Arma 3 anytime soon, this is my tactical shooter of choice from now on!

Do the insurgent teams sperg out and consider vehicles to be their personal fiefdom the way they tend to be in PR? I always liked that you could just grab a truck if you needed it on the insurgent side without trying to contact the truck/apc squad and begging someone to help.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

Panzeh posted:

Do the insurgent teams sperg out and consider vehicles to be their personal fiefdom the way they tend to be in PR? I always liked that you could just grab a truck if you needed it on the insurgent side without trying to contact the truck/apc squad and begging someone to help.

Vehicles aren't in yet so I wouldn't know :) Most if not all backers playing seem like pretty chill people so far.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Kind of wish the devs would consider some kind of 'free to play' class implemented like RO2's Rising Storm (anyone could play the most basic class for each team for free). I'm just hoping the game gets enough exposure/players when it comes out because I loved PR.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Beans posted:

Kind of wish the devs would consider some kind of 'free to play' class implemented like RO2's Rising Storm (anyone could play the most basic class for each team for free). I'm just hoping the game gets enough exposure/players when it comes out because I loved PR.

Too much trolling potential, hope there are some free weekends upon release though. I do feel PR's community will migrate though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

This has appeared on steam and is due to be released on the 15th (who knows with steam).