Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

I want an AK-74 with PSO option for the OpFor DM, a la Taliban/Chechen Spotter in PR. Easily my favorite class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

RocketRaygun posted:

I'm a programmer. I've done things like Deployables, the Gamemode system, and now I'm working on Vehicles.

Tell us about rocketpod technicals!

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

First time playing since the closed alpha was first available, really. I definitely enjoy the additions so far! I'm hoping to see that 870 we saw renders of awhile back in the game at some point soon. I know they said they wanted the weapons to all feel and handle different, is there currently any difference between say the AKM or the AKM clone with the donkey-dick foregrip on it statistically or are all the 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 weapons basically cloned reskins of the other weapons sharing the same caliber?

Do you guys still plan a more comprehensive and extended class system, things like Spotters, HAT, Engineers/Sappers, Breachers, the kind of guys we had in PR basically, and do you still intend them to have any sort of loadout customization?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Yeah, needing to get limited kits from a cache or crate and having kits limited in numbers to team was a vital balancing point in PR.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Hey dev guy, are you planning on keeping Militia on the desert maps? They don't exactly seem like a proper fit. I understand having them there temporarily because... well, alpha and there's only one map they do fit in, but green gorkas don't exactly look right in the desert.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

gimpfarfar posted:

Yeap, as part of the kickstarter campaign one of the stretch goals was to remake two maps from Project Reality (one was a bonus, Fool's Road, which is in the current Steam build) - the other is Fallujah West, after a community vote :)

Another patch released on Steam today, from what I hear it's the release candidate for Early Access, barring any major surprizes. No vehicles, but one new map (Chora, which is really cool) and a bunch of fixes. Focus seem to be on server stability, which is a good thing

drat those scrubs for not voting Kokan.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Frog Act posted:

So I've been keeping an eye on this game, and I'm really stoked to pick it up when it launches tomorrow. People who have already spent time in the alpha, hows the optimization? It doesn't look too terribly graphics intensive, but my new video card should be arriving tomorrow and I'm curious if I'll be able to max it out. I ordered a GTX 960 2gb.

I'm running a GTX 960 4gb, an i5-3570k with the default clock, and 8gb of RAM, I believe everything auto-set to the highest settings for me, and it runs fine. Once 100 player servers are the norm (right now I think the highest I've seen on the browser barring the 100-man test events is 70 or so) it may be a little more taxing, but probably not too much at that point.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Anyone have the changelog from the pre-public release to the public release? I can't find it on their site.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

soy posted:

Yeah iron sights definitely need work. If you actually hold an ak irl and use iron sights it is way more intuitive to use since the sights actually kinda blur and you generally are able to focus down range but still see them.

That being said, the drat acog gives you so much of a range advantage it's not even remotely fair on maps where that is useful.

But whatever, alpha. Or is it beta now?

Still EA Alpha I believe.

Also it's just a classic PR thing. Although conventional factions might have optics, things start to even out when the logistics system is implemented and unconventional factions don't need a working supply line to build things like FOB's or barricades.

Triple A posted:

At least it wasn't loving Muttrah.

You're drat right. Fallujah may have been overplayed, but Muttrah was just loving overrated.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Frog Act posted:

sensible to give insurgents some equivalent thing though.

SVD wrecks M4 Acog at anything except CQB, where they both suck.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

The French Army! posted:

The developers need to make sure the irregular forces have a unique feel and equipment that would mimic what militias/insurgents would normally have access to.

It's super annoying when FPS games go out of their way to reskin the same faction three or four times. The guns and equipment are all more or less the same, differing little in capability for the sake of balance (everyone gets access to scopes, lasers, red dots, etc.) like in Battlefield.

Insurgency is an especially egregious offender in this regard. WW2 surplus MP40 with red dot and laser? Yeah right.

Put some imagination into the game and make the factions adopt play styles that reflect their unique arsenals and capabilities. Don't just give everyone modern optics and call it a day.

Again, they plan to follow the same route as Project Reality with this, take a look at what they have. Even though say, Hamas and African Resistance Forces are both unconventional factions they have very different loadouts barring the standard AKM/AK74 sets that you will inevitably see with all of them.

And although it's not in-game, like I said, once you need an actual supply line with logistics vehicles like trucks or helicopters to drop supplies off to be able to build anything as a conventional faction while not needing them for the unconventional factions the entire dynamic of the game changes. It allows the unconventional factions to be a lot more dynamic and guerilla-like in the way they're fighting and moving around the map. Sitting on a road so you can ambush and destroy a logistics truck, or sitting in a clearing with a beat up Strela to shoot down a helicopter going to drop off supplies becomes something that's worthwhile to do and will stop the conventional team from setting up a FOB and moving around so easily. The game will become a lot more interesting once things like that are fleshed out.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 17, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Jimlit posted:

More the drastically different mechanics between sides for the sake of "realisim".

That was basically the entire point of Project Reality, unless the only thing you did was play Muttrah and Beirut or something.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 17, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

V for Vegans posted:

When you find a sweet squad to run with and keep squading up with them for multiple rounds in a row this game becomes amazing. We had some people giving over watch from a mountain while the rest of the squad tried to navigate an enemy infested city, we had assault groups split off and provide flanking support for a different squad while the rest of the squad defended a point and we made fun of other squads in local voice while we ran by them. Can't wait to see what happens when we get a goon squad going.

CTS needs a Squad channel for sure.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Personally, I've been playing since the pre-alpha was first released to Commander level founders and I haven't ever encountered any FPS issues, it's fine throughout the whole match, and my PC isn't really that great.

I do have usually 250 or so ping, but that hasn't seemed to affect hit registration or anything at all, and it's not like I'm rubberbanding around or anything because of it. I did notice that I had an exceptionally low ping on the 2FJG clan hosted 100 player test server yesterday though, and so did somebody else in the mumble. Lots of double digits and low 100's in the pings with 100 players.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Liberatore posted:

No. Valve changed how they do Steam sales so if Squad isn't on sale now, it won't be.

Care to explain? I didn't know about this.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Uncle Spriggly posted:

I don't get why every squad I've joined wants to set up an FOB on a mountain then we all just get picked off one by one cause we're on a mountain.

Just wait until MG deployables, it wasn't uncommon in PR to have a built up FOB on a hill or mountain just raining death onto everything in its view.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Stoked about them adding vehicles later this month though that should be really awesome, I'm looking forward to holding down certain points (pretty much all of Fool's Road comes to mind) with mounted heavy MGs, though they're gonna have to find a way to balance the shittiness of toyotas with the armor of humvees

In PR the technicals were far more of an expendable asset. You have a good amount of them to start with, they're a little varied (some technicals had an MG, some had an SPG, some had ammo crates, and some had rocket pods from a helo), and when they're destroyed you didn't lose very many tickets and they respawned pretty fast. Compared to say, the Strykers on the US team, they respawned slow, required a dedicated class to operate, and costed a lot of tickets when they were destroyed.

Also I liked the older Militia models better, felt much more current Ukrainian conflict to me.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

NuckmasterJ posted:

I prefer the new Militia outfits. The track suit should be reserved for squad leaders only!

There is nothing worse then being in a pretty decent squad but your SL keeps trying to flank far away from the fight and setup a FOB at least 2 minute walk from anything of interest. In the time it takes to find a good spot and build our entire team just got completely wiped we have no tickets left. I like flanking as much as the next guy but some people are way to out of touch with how fast a game can go south when a full squad is off sun tanning.

The SL is a little more difficult to distinguish based on character model, now. They have multiple models with the patrol cap so you can't just look for that to find him.

I think the Grenadier(s) and Medics are currently the ones with the track jackets, but I can't guarantee that to be 100% accurate. I just think the Balaclava + Gorka was like the iconic model for that faction and now it's few and far between :(.

Edit: That being said I believe model customization is something they intend to do in the future, probably something like the original Insurgency mod had, very simple system with believable and proper customization.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Love the updates they added to Fool's Road, Fortress/Hilltop Encampment are leagues cooler than they were in the last iteration of the map. Map strats have changed a lot too, now you pretty much need a FOB in both Hilltop and Fortress instead of FOBs being death traps. My team got our poo poo kicked in until we figured that out

Btw I'm Dong Quixote in mumble if anyone was having trouble connecting poster names to game names

Map addition is awesome except for the fact the ladders built into the buildings of that industrial complex (don't recall whether it's encampment of fortress) don't actually work, SL has to built a ladder on the landing of the stairs that you have to finagle around to get up on top of them.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

I really can't wait for the W. Fallujah remake. I'm really surprised they did Kokan/Fool's Road first, which were the runner up and "surprise we're gonna do these too!" choices.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Uncle Spriggly posted:

IRL, won't you die if you fire a shoulder fired rocket in a contained room? The new map is basically like a rocket firing range for apartment dwellers.

I don't think the backblast is enough to actually hurt or kill someone unless you're standing directly behind the rocket as it fires. By the time it hits whatever wall is behind you I doubt it still has enough direct force to hurt anyone. That being said, the room would probably be dusty as all gently caress. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing that in-game, would make AT a priority target visually after firing a rocket and make it more of a risk to try to take more than one shot from the same location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

In 9.6 they want to make FOB's destroyable by mortar and make it so SL's can't spawn on their own Rallies. This is not a good change, it's going to slow gameplay down to Arma levels for sure, if not more so.