Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
When you find a sweet squad to run with and keep squading up with them for multiple rounds in a row this game becomes amazing. We had some people giving over watch from a mountain while the rest of the squad tried to navigate an enemy infested city, we had assault groups split off and provide flanking support for a different squad while the rest of the squad defended a point and we made fun of other squads in local voice while we ran by them. Can't wait to see what happens when we get a goon squad going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I enjoyed the two games we played tonight, even if we never really had much action beyond camping the enemy spawn and the one sniper who ran through our fob without seeing us.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I think the ammo crate is glitches right now since it only gives you the teams assault rifle with no sight, or with an aim point. I wanted to test the Acog to get a feel for the billet drop but couldn't figure out a way to get the gun.

A solid goon squad in this game would be great. I joined up with some people I met day one of the steam early access and they've made a squad group on steam with enough players that we can get two full squads of people that we know are coordinated which really helps to roll games in our favor.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Once you get a hang of the no-zoom iron sights, get a handle on the maps, and find yourself with solid squad leaders who lead you right into the fray, you'll start getting better quickly. Squad has a surprisingly easy learning curve, though all the weapons are different (in their own weird ways) and it takes a little while to learn to differences between both side's loadouts and to distinguish between gun sounds, which is essential.

Played some good goon rounds tonight, I had fun as SL for a round but I really prefer more passive roles like medic or light anti-tank. I also really suck with the M4 acog, I feel like I'm more accurate at long ranges with the red dot, but the Dragunov owns and when I can grab that slot on Militia/Russian teams I rack up the kills

Stoked about them adding vehicles later this month though that should be really awesome, I'm looking forward to holding down certain points (pretty much all of Fool's Road comes to mind) with mounted heavy MGs, though they're gonna have to find a way to balance the shittiness of toyotas with the armor of humvees

I think vehicles may have been delayed beyond the end of the month update, as they have some vehicles in the dev build but the desync between people on the server and where they see the vehicle is so bad that the vehicle just ends up bouncing around everywhere and they need to do a lot of reworking the code to figure it out, but they definitely will be a great added bonus.

I did a lot more sneaky stuff tonight that, while probably not the 100% smartest thing I should have been doing at the moment, I did get some sweet flanks on squads of Americans after crouch walking through poppy fields following the sound of their gun fire. Goon stacking a squad would be great as having a full squad of non-pubbies is so great that I ended up joining some random clan because they always have people on and ready to dominate.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I don't know his forums name but Dong and I play together occasionally, and his friend Blade who may be a goon joins in too. There's a squad goons steam page so you can check that out to see if anyone is playing that way.

I finally figured out a way to use more of my computers processing power toward the game itself which lets me bump it up to 1080p and it makes a world of difference from 720. No more either having to use the medic binoculars to see what everyone else is firing at and then giving blind suppressing fire, or just shooting in the general direction that everyone else is shooting. I can actually see targets at a distance now instead of lots of little blobs. It's like my soldiers glasses finally came in the mail or something.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I'm sitting in the mumble now if people want to group up tonight.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My favorite part was how he would act like, over friendly when other players were around so that they would think he was actually trying to be nice, but as soon as everyone left he'd go back to just being an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Wanted to play again tonight but theres been a new patch thats making player counts not show up in servers and the Chechnya Militia light AT guys invincible. Hopefully they fix this quickly.

V for Vegans fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 15, 2016

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Sitting in the CTS alone right now. Guess I'll roll with pubbies until some goons show up

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

This game is going to fail so hard in delivering what they actually want to deliver, their development has slowed to a halt, and I think there were features/expansion promised end of last month that no progress has been made on even now.

I mean, they are putting out updates pretty regularly, just they're a lot smaller than the promised jeeps by the end of January. They've already said no jets, so helicopters are going to be the big air vehicle. I think they'll eventually get all the features they promised out there, but it'll take a wicked long time and by then the player base will only be the diehards.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Banano posted:

So this looks like it might be up my street, are there goons still playing this?

edit:

I guess I mean enough goons to fill a server/team

We've had a couple sessions where we've filled a squad and angered pubbies, we could probably get that going again sometime. Don't think we ever filled a whole team let alone a server before, but here's usually a couple good squads in a game so even just one goon squad could work.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
The server pop was a kind of big issue, and then they divided the server list into two lists and now it's a huge issue because it always looks like there's one server that's full, a couple medium ones and then a bunch of servers with one or two dudes just hanging out.

I joined some squad clan right when squad went on sale on steam so that I could have a solid group of people to play with, but now they're competing in those squad league matches and everyone's wicked good but since I rarely play I'm terrible, so we'll see how much longer they let me keep the ghost clan tag in front of my name. Then again, it would be nice to have people call me by my actual steam name instead of just calling me ghost.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Also, when everybody else is shooting, just shoot in the same direction as them. Even if you don't see anyone, you're suppressing a target that someone on your team saw, unless the first guy was just attacking a bush and then everyone else decided to follow suit.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Since it doesn't count as a death if you get revived, it's pretty easy to end a round with no deaths if you have a solid squad. There's a guy in the ghost clan who would spend the whole game basically roaming away from everyone else but close enough where he could sneak around behind groups while they were distracted by the rest of the squad, and he would end the round with tons of kills every time.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
The server browser is weird now. I don't like how they split it into two different lists despite there only being about 5 servers full at any time.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

soy posted:

The reason PR squads and server admins are so strict is that without it people are super useless.

Kinda hard when they wandered to a corner of the map to lay eggs or whatever it is retard pubbies do when nobody is near them.

You can always kick people from the squad, which gives them a lovely gun and only two mags. Wait until the kid who joined your squad just go get the marksman kit gets far away and in his sniping perch and then kick him. It instantly takes away their rifle.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Ghost was banned forever? That's wicked funny. Let me guess, was rascal the kid they assumed was cheating? He's the most ridiculous squad player ever. He literally just roams around the woods near his squad and sneaks up on people and grenade launchers them or head shots them with his cs:go skills. He would always end matches with crazy a crazy k/d because he would target medics so people couldn't get revived and more of his downs turned into kills, but was always close enough to his squad that if he went down the squad could try to move to him and save him. Maybe he was cheating, but I never saw any solid proof.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
It's easy to keep a low death count with two decent medics. I've been reading up on all the drama and it's pretty funny. No warning perma ban for some members having a poor attitude, seems like equivalent of the NHL banning the Blackhawks to try and give other teams a chance to win the cup too.

How do fobs work in project reality? I've heard people always talk about how much more important they will become but I've never seen a reason why they're so important.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I never played in competitive, I phrased my question badly. I meant the fobs don't really have a reason to be built up right now. You just toss down the radio and maybe ammo in a random bush somewhere and then abandon it. Maybe the gun emplacements will make fobs more viable as being put in high traffic areas with the purpose of shutting down sections of the map, but right now you just place the fob and jog away.

I'm nervous about playing now with the ghost tag that either people will team kill/not revive me or just see how bad I am and assume that I'm a regular player who turned their auto aim off or something. Last I heard, ghost was thinking of starting their own competitive league, because this games community isn't small enough already and splintering it more is a great idea.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Those changes look pretty good, hopefully the game will be more playable. Pretty sad about them taking out stacking fob items. While people building super fobs was always terrible for their team, it was kind of funny to find a crazy multi level fob just in the middle of the woods.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I heard that the update was resetting everyone's graphics, so you're sure you turned them back to whatever you had them on before? That's kind of disappointing, this game is supposed to become more playable with each update, not less.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
You can turn the sound settings down and it apparently helps out gameplay a lot. They also disabled the ability to turn off shadows completely, which sucks because it really boosted my games performance. I guess they figured that the game running horribly on most systems was worth it to have people be able to hide in shadows.

A fun new feature they seem to have added is what I assume is the body of the soldier syncing with its actual death position on everyone's screen. However, to achieve this without the use of death animations or synchronized rag doll physics, the bodies will crumple as normal, and then slide to where the server determines them to actually be. This led to multiple instances of my shootout a guy who was running for cover, watching him go down, and then seeing his feet slide away behind the cover after his body had come to a rest leading me to run around the cover and make sure they were actually dead and didn't just prone away.

The new map looks cool though, however it's horrendously optimized to expect to view the new landscape in a slideshow format unless you have a solid computer.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Sappo569 posted:

I'll take sliding dead bodies over incorrect body positioning

Nothing is more frustrating as a medic in the middle of a fire fight trying to find a wounded body that has skittered 20m away from where the icon shows him

Yeah, hopefully it fixes the glitch where you would revive someone, only to have them teleport wicked far away from you.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
The devs are saying that vehicles will finally come out in late july. How long it takes before servers with vehicles become playable is yet to be seen.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

soy posted:

It will be nice not to have a 15 minute hiking simulation at the beginning of rounds on huge maps.

Yeah, now it'll be a 15 minute chasing that one dude who took the last humvee all for himself simulator.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
They tried to balance medics by giving them now lovely weapons on US and Russia, but the militia medic still has the shittiest gun in the game, which really sucks. I'll gladly be a Russian or American medic, but will wait to see if someone else grabs the second medic spot on militia. Usually no one does though.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Bitter Mushroom posted:

just play project reality if you want to see what the devs want squad to become

Minus jets though, they gave up on even trying to code those about the same time that they admitted vehicles weren't coming out a month after launch.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Bhaal posted:

It is indeed the most frustrating thing to try and get into a high pop but not quite full server. Let someone win a seat and give them 60 seconds to load the game client (or whatever) instead of this race condition garbage where X people "join" and start loading and one lucky contestant gets the spot while the rest get booted to try their luck again.

The game is very fun & promising, though, after I got in to a decent server. Once I was on a decent squad the enjoyment went up by quite a lot (but you need a good SL for things to really click)

Having a good squad leader and a good squad makes this game amazing, which is why I rushed into the first "clan" I could find. It was fun while it lasted but eventually I got kicked from that clan for not being hardcore enough (ironically, they got kicked from squad league for being too hardcore) but at this point most players are competent enough that it only takes minimal squad hopping to find a solid group. Of course, I don't know how the steam sale has effected the quality of pubbies in this game, but I'm sure they'll settle back down into reasonably solid teammates within a few weeks.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

Been playing this a lot more lately now that I can connect reliably. Since we goons don't have a regular casual playing group going unfortunately, what do you all say we sign up as a group for an event and then gently caress around for an hour or two until we are miserably eliminated?

I bring it up because someone mentioned a group event thing here: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/9060-community-clan-fight-night/?page=59#comment-258941

I wonder if they'll preemptively ban ghost from that tournament for some made up reason again.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Mahler posted:

Ghost disbanded and a bunch of them are with FFO now (my clan). CCFN isn't really a tournament, more of a community mixer. You get to have the fun of playing with 3 other squads of wildly differing skill level. The current league is Squad Masters https://squadmasters.com/

Lame, I'm only still friends with a couple of them on steam, but I noticed that fiddy was in ffo now, so I assumed he had just left to stay competitive (look out for him, he's wicked good and thus one of the reasons everyone thought ghost were cheaters). Prowler, the kid who stated ghost still has ghost as his tag though so I wasn't sure if it was still around. It was a fun couple of months that I spent with them, sad I missed out on the drama though.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Have they optimized this game at all in recent patches? I put a lot of time into this game when it first came out, but I got tired of the constant roller coaster of update adding stuff, game unplayable for two weeks until the next update, rinse and repeat. I don't think I've even played with vehicles in the game.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
That's why I joined a community as soon as I started playing this game, so that I would always have a solid group to play with. That was also early in the games public life though so everyone was still learning about best fob placements and such. I can't imagine playing now that people all have their own notions of the only right way to win a map.

Actually, I'm thinking of building a computer soon and squad was one of the games that I was looking forward to playing again except this time at a decent frame rate and a quality where people look like humans and not game cube characters, with fps dropping to 10 frames per minute after every update.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I finished my new computer so add me to the list of goons who'd be down for some casual squading around. My steam name is VforVegans.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Rearden posted:

This update is awesome

I agree. My first experience with the update yesterday was sitting on the side of the road next to our upside down and flaming logi truck while a full BTR roller by with everyone in it yelling "noob" over local chat. 10/10 game is definitely worth playing again.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I know post scriptum is the squad of WW2, but I’ve been playing Hell Let Loose a lot lately and that game is wicked good, definitely worth trying out, especially when you get a good squad, but unlike squad and PS still playable even when you don’t.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I was in a clan at the start of squad back when it was basically just an airsoft simulator with no vehicles, but they got disbanded because they were so dominant in the squad battles that everyone assumed they were cheating.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

I can’t imagine LevelCap would enjoy squad since all of his battlefield videos are him complaining about anyone not using a red dot and everyone who kills him in a tank when he’s a medic.

Downloaded HLL again because I heard they had an update and the update has added a new feature where for 2 minutes after spawning you get 12 FPS and then slowly work your way back up to normal. Great game.

I’m downloading squad again to check out, hopefully it’s decent now.

V for Vegans fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 25, 2020

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My pro-tip for squad is that when you start up the game, to load up training. You can queue up for a server from training and then just drive cars around or shoot targets/AI in the little practice courses while you wait to get through the huge queue for the sever you want. Joined last night and saw a queue of 24 people for the 100 player game on the new map so I ended up in a different server with 100 players on an older map because it was only a 10 person queue there.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My biggest issue with squad is that I have about 115 hours in this game, but the first 100 were back when the game had no vehicles so now I’ll be sitting there hearing an engine and some asks on the radio what kind of vehicle is rolling up and I just have to say I have no idea but it sounds big or sounds small.

I usually play on the Canadian 56th servers or something like that, but I guess my big mistake was choosing the noob friendly server. I would love to play with goons, it would be much better than my normal experience.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

As long as there’s less racist players than rising storm 2, I would be down for that mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

I think that lovely Medal of Honour released during the modern military craze featured the actual Taliban. I remember them getting caught up in a PR mess because of it.

Single player they were named taliban, but multiplayer they renamed them to OpFor due to push back from people upset about players being the taliban, despite years of games allowing you to play as nazis