Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm tentatively stoked for this game. Reminds me of insurgency + BF, which owns. I really like Insurgency but always wished the scale of it would be a bit larger, so this should be right on point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I've been keeping an eye on this game, and I'm really stoked to pick it up when it launches tomorrow. People who have already spent time in the alpha, hows the optimization? It doesn't look too terribly graphics intensive, but my new video card should be arriving tomorrow and I'm curious if I'll be able to max it out. I ordered a GTX 960 2gb.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Bought this on a whim tonight after keeping my eye on it forever. It's pretty awesome, I played for almost two hours and did like a match and a half, had a lot of fun coordinating stuff with my squadmates. I think I got like 3 kills total, but they were all pretty satisfying. I've put a lot of time, by my standards, into RO2 and Insurgency, and this basically brings them together in a good way. I dig the way you're pretty much forced to be a team player, and coordinating an FOB/defense/push with your squad and the rest of the team is pretty thrilling.

Had some minor performance issues, with random framerate drops. It recommended I set it to "epic" but dips down to ~15 randomly from its regular 50 fps for no discernable reason. I've heard its a geforce thing?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

I get that they're trying to be realistic with rifle optics but there's no way that the "insurgents" don't have access to any scopes at all.

It'd be nice to have kobra sights or something for the AKs but honestly, I didn't perceive a big difference in overall accuracy between the M4 red dot and the regular iron sights on the AK

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Aside from the 4x ACOG?

I only got to mess around with that for a minute and I got my poo poo wrecked since we were pushing hard on a point and lots of CQB was happening, so I can't speak to the effectiveness of it at long range. it'd probably be sensible to give insurgents some equivalent thing though.

This game is really growing on me, I rarely play a game until really late and then wake up still thinking about it these days. $40 is a little steep but I think it was probably worth it, especially if they get the stuttering fixed. I'm also betting that the devs won't gently caress up EA like so, so many other developers have because PR was so consistently developed for so long, I hope I'm not being too optimistic

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm not really into milsim sperging at all (I hated ARMA) and I've been having just a shitload of fun with this game. Killing people face to face is so incredibly satisfying, and coordinating with your squad to take a point under fire is super fun, I've never had quite that kind of experience in a game before.

Earlier my squad and I took a FOB that was pretty heavily fortified on a point, capped the point, and then suddenly this just tremendous wave of explosions rocked us and killed almost 18 people. Are there mortars in the mix or was it just a judicious mix of launchers/hand grenades/RPGs

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 16, 2015

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The squads I've ended up in have been largely great, except for one or two where nobody knew what we were doing and so we didn't have a competent SL. though a few of us working together got around that pretty effectively. Maybe its just cus I've played a bunch of insurgency lately but not getting called the n-word by a bunch of 14 year olds is so great I can accept a few weirdly intense Dutch tacticool fantasy dudes on the comm

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

My problem with Insurgency/ CS is you're expected to learn this whole vernacular for every map so you can call out your location, which I can never seem to do. I've been playing Insurgency since it was a mod and I still don't seem to be able to properly remember where "mid" is on every map.

I really dig Squad's system, though they need to add some granularity to the map grids because sometimes its unclear where precisely something is when it lays at the intersection of two gridlines. I'm not really explaining it properly but the map could use a tiny bit more detail / maybe a way to toggle names for cap point because when you scale in/out it can be hard to discern exactly where something is. Thats a pretty minor complaint though.

Whats the eta on the introduction of vehicles/more weapons? I'm just curious because I feel like they'll add a ton to the game, and what little PR I played definitely benefited from the inclusion of APCs and stuff.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I think asymmetrical shooters can work really well if properly done. I really liked Rising Storm's Japanese/US Army maps because of their sort of lopsided nature, because a well-played Japanese team could make mincemeat of a US team with a well-time bonzai charge or massed rifleman power, even with inferior weapons. I suspect the same sort of thing will be in play once they add that stuff to squad, since my feeling after like four or five hours is that no matter how significant the difference is between loadouts a well-coordinated team will always have a good chance at victory, and the whole supply-line system sounds like it would add a lot of variety to Insurgent tactics.

I have only one major complaint right now, besides the framerate stuff which I'm gonna try and fix through the nvidia panel, and its the loving mud walls. They're like impossible to get over unless you get lucky hopping around. I'd love to see them add some kind of mantling mechanic ala RO2 that has you sling your rifle and poo poo to clamber over, which makes it a risky maneuver but still an option.

Also waiting on bipods, those will make the RPK a much more appealing weapon I think

ed: so is there any consensus on optimization? I checked my nvidia control panel settings and my mixed display/gpu acceleration settings are already in "performance", rather than power save, which is one thing that is supposed to help. Has anyone tried the .ini modification listed here?

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/5869-performance/

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 17, 2015

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm gonna be playing some for a little while, I'm Dong Quixote in the group

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

There seem to be a disproportionately large number of European, particularly German, servers for this game. Why do milsims always have so many northern European players?

Played some with the Squad goons group guys tonight. Was pretty fun, did pretty well on a few maps with a couple intense moments. I really like the ballistics in this game, once I get used to a gun I feel pretty confident with my aim. Especially with the M4 ACOG, I can see why the insurgents deserve an analogue now that I've spent some time with it because it owns in medium-long range firefights. I also had a couple rambo moments in one of the earlier matches where I managed to bust into a FOB and kill like four dudes in a row before getting capped myself, which was very satisfying.

I also like the sort of infrequent but intense action that tends to make up the first part of most matches. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm kind of realizing the matches have a pretty deliberate kind of pacing to them. There's a ton of strategic movement with sporadic action for the first part of the match, and then when both teams are low on tickets they get pretty intense, I dig the way the pressure sort of builds throughout the course of the match to some kind of final showdown.

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 18, 2015

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ghost of SA Past posted:

I've been playing OFP/Arma online since the original because I love the tactilol coordination from ACRE even though the gameplay is shaky. I like Insurgency's gunplay but it feels too CoD/round-based for my likin, and I love RO2's realism vibes. I only toyed with Project Reality but it seemed fun. There's no reason for me to not buy this, right?

right, you will probably really like it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Holy poo poo, pubbies are so godawful at this game. Half of them don't have mics, nobody even tries to be a decent squad leader. Having people actually communicate really makes or breaks this game. Why are people without mics or an interest in coordination even playing this game? Watching a whole squad run out over and over like in red orchestra, bleeding tickets, is frustrating as hell

Also squad-to-squad coordination is super important and when its missing you're basically boned. Just played a match with a competent squad, but the other SLs didn't seem to have mics and didn't strategize at all, and they weren't doing anything tactical, just rushing out and dying in droves. so my group capped the second point and pushed ahead through enemy lines all stealthy like to start capping point 3. We assumed that S2,4 and, 5 could take care of defending point 2 while we made quick work capping the third one from a hidden FOB. They were too retarded for that though, and lost point 2, then the enemy shrewdly took advantage of that and capped point 1 and then camped the FOB. We tried to move back to help but got owned, and lost the match horribly, barely able to make it out of our spawn

FOB camping is devastating and difficult to beat unless you have people playing together

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 23, 2015

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Uncle Spriggly posted:

I don't get why every squad I've joined wants to set up an FOB on a mountain then we all just get picked off one by one cause we're on a mountain.

FOB on a mountain seems to have become kind of memetic, everyone always thinks they're the best location unless you're in an urban area. IMO its best to set one up behind a ridge, in such a way that precludes encirclement but allows your team to make it to some kind of overwatch relatively quickly

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

it's taxing even on high end systems, the game is not well optimized so even if they fixed the amd ati thing you'd still be hard pressed to get any frames on your potato

scrub

the optimization seems fine 90% of the time, and then the other 10% of the time the engine is absolutely making GBS threads itself in the form of tremendous framerate drops. I turned settings up to "epic" and upped all the shadows and the framerate drops got a lot better than they were at low/medium though, so maybe try some counterintuitive things

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 25, 2015

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I hope this game goes on sale or gets some big-name reviews, more people should get it so a solid goon squad can crush pubbies regularly. This game is so much better with an organized team.

Also does anyone know how to switch weapons in the firing range? I wanted to test out different guns but the ammo point doesn't actually do anything.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah, I'm really stoked about vehicles. It'll add a whole new dimension to the game and I think it'll make FOBs significantly more important. I'm also just stoked to roll into points in the back of a truck and pile out with my squad, should be tight. I really enjoyed vehicle stuff in the little bit of PR I played.

Had a really good match tonight on OP First Light as a Militia sniper, the Dragunov (Or is it an SVD?) owns. Got ten kills, which is pretty good for me, but also learned a lot about the sniper ballistics and the general usefulness of sniper spotting for callouts. I can see why that slot always goes quick. Also had a surprisingly good pubbie squad that worked together with a legit proactive squad leader, though I think he had some kind of autism

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Have you played much since the most recent patch? That completely eliminated all the stuttering for me, and it was really terrible when the game first launched.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Some vehicle pictures were posted on reddit, and the devs have generally indicated they'll be releasing the first vehicles in the next couple of weeks.

Anyway:

Also some kind of insurgent truck

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 1, 2016

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Godmachine posted:

I bought this yesterday expecting to play for two hours then refund. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's very enjoyable if you prefer slower paced matched with moments of intense firefights. Even most pubbies are tolerable and actually communicate.

Hard as gently caress though.

Once you get a hang of the no-zoom iron sights, get a handle on the maps, and find yourself with solid squad leaders who lead you right into the fray, you'll start getting better quickly. Squad has a surprisingly easy learning curve, though all the weapons are different (in their own weird ways) and it takes a little while to learn to differences between both side's loadouts and to distinguish between gun sounds, which is essential.

Played some good goon rounds tonight, I had fun as SL for a round but I really prefer more passive roles like medic or light anti-tank. I also really suck with the M4 acog, I feel like I'm more accurate at long ranges with the red dot, but the Dragunov owns and when I can grab that slot on Militia/Russian teams I rack up the kills

Stoked about them adding vehicles later this month though that should be really awesome, I'm looking forward to holding down certain points (pretty much all of Fool's Road comes to mind) with mounted heavy MGs, though they're gonna have to find a way to balance the shittiness of toyotas with the armor of humvees

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Really love this update, finally added some symmetry between US/RUS mid-range engagement ability by giving Russians an ACOG, and the new smoke effects are really impressive. The changes they made to the maps are awesome too, especially the 3 floor train hub on Fool's Road (I think). Had a ton of fun trying to take that last night, the whole area is laid out in a way that facilitates pretty intense caps. Also glad they gave riflemen an extra grenade and the other misc kit changes are on point, and updating the minimap icons to make roles clearer was a much needed step

The tidbits of development stuff they've been releasing are also super tantalizing, I can't wait for them to add vehicles, though I bet that'll be at least another month or two. I'm pretty happy with the pace of development though they seem to be working pretty hard

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Love the updates they added to Fool's Road, Fortress/Hilltop Encampment are leagues cooler than they were in the last iteration of the map. Map strats have changed a lot too, now you pretty much need a FOB in both Hilltop and Fortress instead of FOBs being death traps. My team got our poo poo kicked in until we figured that out

Btw I'm Dong Quixote in mumble if anyone was having trouble connecting poster names to game names

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

MikeC posted:

I am kind of on the fence with this one. I am about to finish up XCOM 2 soon and this has kind of perked my interest. How is the existing community right now? If I don't join up with a dedicated team, is casual play any good or is it just like BF4 headless chicken mode? I am kind of wary about signing up for a game that will require me to do MMO style scheduling just to get a reasonably enjoyable experience.

VVV edit: thanks VVV

I'd say like 8 or 9 out of ten pubbie squads coordinate and work together, even if they don't do a great job. Once you settle on a few consistently good servers that are almost always full on prime time (which is a bit irritating but its usually worth it to wait to get in) you'll find teamwork is pretty much the rule. I know me and a few other goons often play on JFG, TBG, and I think 501st. Straight up toxic players are incredibly rare.

The only thing I've noticed is a sudden jump in the number of people without mics, but they also all seem to listen and try to respond in text so whatever

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

http://imgur.com/a/rQGys

this owns

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Safetyland posted:

This seemed like a good game so I bought it.

I wasn't wrong, but server population is a problem - hard to find NA servers which aren't full, as there's only a few to begin with.

Yeah, this has been a problem since launch, I'm hoping once they get some more content rolling out more servers will pop up

Anyway, I'll be playing some tonight, Dong Quixote on steam if anyone wants to join me around 8:00-8:30 est

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 10, 2016

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

MikeC posted:

You only play medic Frog? Should try something else but I know no one else will do it otherwise :3:

Yeah, pretty much exclusively. I think I've played other roles like ten times compared to the hundreds of times I've spent as medic. I kinda feel an obligation to always play medic because people seem to hate it and are often really ineffective, but its great for racking up hella points. Plus if you're Russian the AK carbine their medics get absolutely tear poo poo up in CQB, particularly useful for taking certain points in OP First Light

The French Army! posted:

Given how the developers have obviously hit a wall and are now putting out tiny patches that in practice change nothing because they don't have enough people to really push out and complete new content I wouldn't be surprised if vehicles don't show up until the end of summer.

This is my concern as well. I'm pretty sure I was all sanguine earlier in the thread about how this could never turn into another DayZ because PR has such a good record etc etc but I'm increasingly worried it'll be stuck in EA hell for eternity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I bought squad when it came out and haven't played except for like, once since the introduction of vehicles which were hampered by permissions and bad driving (and there were like 3 of them), can I get a quick rundown of the changes?

Pumped for post scriptum too