Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Foxy was a bad villain and his crew was a bad crew and that's why Davy Back Fight was a bad arc, it has nothing to do with my expectations of it being lighthearted or serious hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Foxy was a good villain and his crew was a bad crew

I loving love incompetent boobs with overwhelming superpowers that are too stupid to use them properly, like Ice Man from X-Men who isn't a dude who makes ice, that's just because he's too dumb to realize he has the power of thermal energy manipulation.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I quite liked DBF because it was a good light-hearted and fun break between some major arcs, plus Foxy was just so hilariously stupid. THe battles were also quite interesting and funny in their own right.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I will concede that Foxy's crew is the most underdeveloped one yet, eclipsed only by CP0. They have almost no defining traits which is rare for Oda.

Hamburg - laughs a lot, including when his boss gets made fun of
Porshe - Likes Chopper?
Starshark - Laughs a lot gently caress
Rest of crew - huh? I guess Big Pan couldn't hear because he was so tall which was kind of funny

A few missed opportunities for some hijinks with a crew this large, you could have had them all argue all the time about minor points since a crew of that size would be difficult to maintain order in. Or you could have them all have the exact same opinion and shout it all at once? I'm just spitballing here but they were a bunch of mooks in masks and it really didn't add much to the experience that they had amassed this massive crew.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
i liked luffys afro

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Foxy was a bad villain and his crew was a bad crew and that's why Davy Back Fight was a bad arc, it has nothing to do with my expectations of it being lighthearted or serious hth

You shut your filthy mouth.

How dare you insult the Great Foxy and Afro Luffy like that. But nah really I thought the arc was great. I really enjoyed stuff like that arc and Sabaody because they were short and filled to the brim with cool stuff. Saobody especially is a favourite of mine because even though it's short, it's packed with so many memorable moments and the pacing is fantastic.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I'll never understand people that claim that One Piece is their favorite series then say the best arc was CP9 and worst one was DBF.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

best arc was cp9, worst was new fishman island

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I legit can't think of an actually bad arc. We've had a couple with lots of bland moments though ( looking at you Fishman Island). The best ones for me personally are always the short ones like Jaya or Saobondy. Bellamys beatdown and Blackbeards speech at the bar still stands as some of the best moments in the series for me.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

I loving love incompetent boobs with overwhelming superpowers that are too stupid to use them properly, like Ice Man from X-Men who isn't a dude who makes ice, that's just because he's too dumb to realize he has the power of thermal energy manipulation.

He's realized at times, but then was retconned back into being a dumbass again. I think they do this because overpowered heroes are boring as hell (except Saitama, who is bored as hell).

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

foxy is a hilarious character that i love and porche is extremely cute. i also liked the announcer guy that kept pissing nami off

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I wonder how much the ridiculously stupid Foxy filler where they redo the goddamn games directly after the first games or something affected peoples opinions. I'm primarily a manga reader so I haven't seen it and I like Davy Back for what it is. It also gave us Afro-Luffy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

best arc was cp9, worst was new fishman island

This but replace CP9 with Alabasta

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

ugh, I think I'm at the worst possible point of any One Piece reread, the Davy Back Fight Arc. Just always killed the momentum coming out of Skypiea for me. Gotta slog through this so I can get to CP9. :coolfish:

Wtf.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm not gonna comment on the Davy Back Fight because it being great has been established.

What I will say is that the crews interactions with the old dude who lives on Long Ring Long Land is some of the most hilarious poo poo in the entire manga. Rivaled only by Crocus and some Thriller Bark stuff.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Petiso posted:

I'll never understand people that claim that One Piece is their favorite series then say the best arc was CP9 and worst one was DBF.
One Piece definitely isn't my favorite series, unless we're talking favorite Shounen series then sure, and I'm not sure I'd call my favorite arc CP9 (gotta catch up first, though I doubt it'll end up being my fave). I do remember not really enjoying DBF, but keep in mind this is my first reread so I haven't actually read DBF in yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars...what with all the people saying it's actually good and way better on the reread my fingers are crossed and mind is open to enjoying this. Maybe I'll love it on the second go.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
My favorite arc is Impel Down and my least favorite is none of them. I like all of the things and am easily pleased and want to give out hugs. Who wants a hug?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait I lied I dislike Kuja Island and Marineford more than Fishman Island

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Baal posted:

Wait I lied I dislike Kuja Island and Marineford more than Fishman Island

I thought it wasn't possible to have wrong opinions but here we are.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please don't call my opinion wrong because you disagree. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I did that to you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Baal posted:

Please don't call my opinion wrong because you disagree. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I did that to you.

you're wrong though. like i think you're reading the wrong manga

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's okay Baal, I didn't like Marineford either

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
kuja island i can see but marineford is absolutely wrong. it was a highlight of the series. shabondy through to the timeskip was the longest period of nonstop good chapters

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i like all of the arcs, but the arc i liked the least was skypeia simply because: long, the fights weren't as cool as other arcs, didn't seem to have the most relevance to the plot (still doesn't, but i think it will be more important toward the end of the series), followed by davy back, but i still liked all of the arcs and didnt think any of them were bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

kuja island isn't the best but its peak luffy and then marineford is marineford. did you watch the anime of it or something?

admittedly it all does lack the rest of the crew

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

anime was right posted:

i like all of the arcs, but the arc i liked the least was skypeia simply because: long, the fights weren't as cool as other arcs, didn't seem to have the most relevance to the plot (still doesn't, but i think it will be more important toward the end of the series), followed by davy back, but i still liked all of the arcs and didnt think any of them were bad.

I think Skypiea's okay, but that's probably just because I have a really high opinion of Eneru as an antagonist and the climax of it is loving amazing. It does really drag out though and overstays its welcome, but I think for what short time Eneru is there makes up for it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

kuja island isn't the best but its peak luffy and then marineford is marineford. did you watch the anime of it or something?

admittedly it all does lack the rest of the crew

I'm not gonna answer you because you're just gonna keep being a condescending douche. If you actually want me to answer your questions then talk to me like a person.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Baal posted:

I'm not gonna answer you because you're just gonna keep being a condescending douche. If you actually want me to answer your questions then talk to me like a person.

i mean, i can sort of see the whole kuja island/impel down/marineford wearing thin a bit because its one continuous arc but they're all great imo if you like reading luffy be luffy and i don't know how you could consider any of them the worst and really enjoy the manga since they're all about how mental the main character is and why its fun

its why the punch on sabaody is so good. we've accepted how insane the characters are and then we're introduced to some other characters who have just heard about it and are waiting in excitement to see the mental thing they do

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You seem to be psychoanalyzing a lot of reasons I've never given you and with statements like "I don't know how" it doesn't make me feel like you actually want to discuss anything so much as you just wanna throw things you think are objectively correct at me and how I'm reading the wrong series because I don't like two arcs.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Baal posted:

You're taking this weirdly personally. Noone actually cares if you like Marineford or not, they're just busting your chops.

Although that being said I don't know how you could dislike it, it's pretty much the big payoff to all the massive setpieces that One Piece had been building up to for years.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Having conversations about why we like or dislike the things we like or dislike is cool. Do this as often as you like.

Shutting down conversation by arbitrarily declaring certain opinions as wrong or invalid is less cool. Try to do this less often.

Thanks!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Baal posted:

marineford contained well designed characters, emotional high (low) points that felt genuine and earned, a worldspanning conflict which felt like some sort of payoff, hints towards the final end of the story. in this sense it is one of if not the best arc in the series, tied probably with water 7->enies lobby which contaiend similar emotional highs/cool fights, but more internal motivations than external

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp posted:

marineford contained well designed characters, emotional high (low) points that felt genuine and earned, a worldspanning conflict which felt like some sort of payoff, hints towards the final end of the story. in this sense it is one of if not the best arc in the series, tied probably with water 7->enies lobby which contaiend similar emotional highs/cool fights, but more internal motivations than external

my favourite bit of this on a reread is luffy telling whitebeard he's going to rescue ace and the reactions of everyone else

KoB
May 1, 2009

alkanphel posted:

Oda: Uh... One Piece isn't that deep of a story.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Asuron posted:

You're taking this weirdly personally. Noone actually cares if you like Marineford or not, they're just busting your chops.

Although that being said I don't know how you could dislike it, it's pretty much the big payoff to all the massive setpieces that One Piece had been building up to for years.

Why is it so hard for you to just say "What do you dislike about it?" Why is it immediately "I don't know how?" Like your brain is actually completely unable to empathize with somebody who dislikes something that you like.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baal posted:

Why is it so hard for you to just say "What do you dislike about it?" Why is it immediately "I don't know how?" Like your brain is actually completely unable to empathize with somebody who dislikes something that you like.

Just say what you dislike about it holy poo poo

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Baal posted:

look at this loving post lmao

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
For the record, I do understand that opinions can't be wrong, but there's this thing called hyperbole I sometimes use. To help our literal-minded friend, I'll translate the conversation.

LMF: I didn't like Marinford.
Me: Tell us what you didn't like about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

One Piece is a comic for children and I didn't like how Luffy was the only strawhat for like a hundred chapters and also I didn't care about Ace or the buttload of tertiary characters that were added.