Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
I actually bought both this game and its sequel very recently at a used game store. I talked to the guy who worked there, and like me, he actually knew next to nothing about them aside from "well, it exists, I guess."

I have to say that I do enjoy the games, though I did find myself getting very frustrated at this part of the game, with narrow hallways and wooden objects placed in the exact right (or wrong) places where it's very easy for your sword to get stuck in them. Looking forward to the end, since I honestly couldn't beat the last level for whatever reason. Honestly, I kinda forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

God, I remember the final descent to the tree, now. It took me several attempts to do it without dying, since I really suck at this game.

Also, in the options, you can turn off the screen shaking when you get hit, for the record. I know it really frustrated me personally when trying the arena challenges and the screen kept jiggling around every time an archer hit me.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Fiendly posted:

:aaa:
I knew about that option, but I never considered the possible impact it could have on gameplay. I'll have to try that, because it sounds like a complete game-changer. Too bad I've already done the most difficult archery challenges without it.

Well, it might be pretty subjective, actually. For me, the screen shaking just really throws me off and makes me mildly motion-sick. In fact, the only reason I brought it up was because I noticed the camera shaking when you're aiming the bow and you got hit.

It might be a game-changer, or it might just not make much difference at all, so bear that in mind, heh. :v:

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

I think what I love most about this final descent to the tree is the scale. When I first saw this area, my first thought was, "Oh, good, not too far now." Because the tree looks fairly close.

As it turns out, this is probably one of, if not the largest single area in the game, and by the time you get to the bottom, you realize that the tree is also loving huge.

I'm kinda surprised that the oracle didn't call Rau out for murdering the poo poo out of all the people protecting the tree. They could have very easily done the whole, "Y'know, you could've asked if you wanted to." Which, honestly, I don't mind this too much, since the tree dudes will attack on sight and Rau is a silent protagonist, only speaking when yelling out his attacks and when he gets a health upgrade.

Major_JF posted:

I didn't think that there were going to be that many wedgies in the stealth kills.

Well, yeah, Rau is basically a Polynesian football player. He probably had to remind the guards of high school just before he bashed their heads in with the pommel of his sword.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

berryjon posted:

It was made clear by the fortune teller that these people are evil, and the Oracle herself notes that this is the first time in a long time that her powers have been used by a good person.

So yeah, no moral quandaries here.

...Oh. Somehow I forgot/missed that detail. :downs:

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Jesus, Rau looks like genie Jafar with that costume, kinda.

Also, I was going to mention my disappointment that each of the weapons don't get their own unique stealth kill animations, but I suppose I remembered incorrectly. The Taiaha does get one stealth kill animation. Still, the combo kills with the Taiaha are really over the top, but no less gruesome.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Major_JF posted:

Did your max health reset?
Edit: Or has it always reset and I missed it until now?

Yeah, the health resets at the beginning of every level and you have to get health upgrades. My theory as to why it's like that is that the developers intended on you being more conservative and careful in the early parts of the levels, then when you start getting upgrades you can afford to be slightly more careless. Maybe.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Image21 posted:

If you want challenge then do the unarmed challenge. Only kill with disarms, stealth kills, and archery. You get good at them very fast.

I feel like that kind of run would be rendered almost impossible with that particular gauntlet of enemies while you're waiting for the boat, since the timing of disarms gets tighter the more you do them.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

I know it's been mentioned before that the art style of this game is really good, but I think that shows the best in this video, where the clearest expression you get out of Rau in the cutscene is pure, unbridled rage, and whoever drew that image (I keep forgetting who his name is) really made sure you could feel it.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

I really want that image as an icon, because that is just amazing.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

This was the wall that stopped my run of this game. I kept dying very quickly, even once I got some health upgrades, and couldn't recover in time to kill the undead and move on. So anything beyond this point will be new for me.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Is it bad that I'm kinda pleased for getting a mention in an LP video? :v:

Anyway, motherfucking imps. :argh: Those little bouncing shits are pretty much what made me quit the game. They're small, fast, hard to hit, and they steal your weapons. I often got all my weapons except for my bow stolen, and the other zombies surrounded me and tore Rau apart before I could get to the imps to reclaim my weapon. That and my PS2 and my television don't cooperate for some reason so there's a very slight delay with my input.

ultrafilter posted:

I seem to remember that a lot of people were put off by the emphasis on stealth over combat.

True. Devil May Cry does predate Mark of Kri by about a year, and that game was 80% combat and 20% Dante being a prick. Still, I think I like Mark of Kri better, since I relate to Rau better than Dante. He's a barbarian, and he does some brutal things to people who kinda deserve it. Plus, his sister got kidnapped to be used as a sacrifice. The Dark One made it personal, so Rau's gonna gently caress up some zombies.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Heh, at least you were somewhat prepared and can recover pretty well from it. I've seen LPs die (or at the very least, was unable to show everything) because of a save file being erased for whatever reason.

I remember a couple years ago, where my PS2 memory card was suddenly blank and I lost all my progress for seven games. Turned out, my four-year-old niece had been playing around with my PS2 and didn't know that she wasn't playing a game when all the little 3D graphic representations of my save files shrunk to nothingness while spinning in a circle.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

If Rau spoke, he could communicate entirely in Comic book Doomguyisms. :black101:

AH, AX! THE GREAT COMMUNICATOR!

MY CAUSE IS JUST, MY WILL IS STRONG, AND MY AX IS VERY, VERY LARGE!

Honestly, this just makes me appreciate that Rau is a silent protagonist, since if he weren't, he'd probably have been Kratos.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

What's this? Rau smiling and being a big brother dork? That is adorable.

Also, Baumusu holding Tati like that is amazing.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Can I just say, l love the double-ended mace Baumusu wields. I actually have the instruction booklet for Rise of the Kasai, and it's called a Huatar.

Unfortunately, Google fails me in searching, so I... Don't know if it's actually a thing people use or have used in real life. It does seem like the kind of weapon that takes a lot of skill and experience to not brain yourself during combat.

Also, I really like the two-character mechanic. The computer-controlled character is fairly competent, surprisingly, and can do pretty well by itself. Almost too well, since Grix seems to keep stealing all your kills. Or rushing in half-cocked when the game is giving a mild indication that you may wanna stealth. Still, this is only the beginning. Gameplay-wise, the developers likely wanted the Tapuroku prelude to be a "taste of power" sort of thing, to get you used to how the weapons all work.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Actually, the soul thing that Tati and Griz do, you can perform at any time. It just seems that the "perches" you use are a little too subtle when they light up, indicating that you can use them, since I think I remember you saying that your screen is a little darker than what we see.

Also! Around the corner where you saw Rau going ahead, there were two archers who would have turned Tati into a pincushion, had Rau not stealth killed them. The tutorial message that would have popped up there would have let you know to wait to run ahead before Rau takes out the opposition.

Another thing, that area where you activated the birds and got yourself killed can be done stealthily. You have to go around in a big circle and use the perches (which have dead bodies hanging from them) to scout out motherfuckers. It's extremely roundabout, but it's easier than fighting a couple-dozen dudes at once.

And finally, it seems that because you died and didn't save at that pedestal, you have started from where you entered the Success Circle.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Image21 posted:

So, Tati isn't Rau's sister right? Cause if she was Rau would have the mark not her. Is that ever talked about?

No, it's explicitly stated that Tati is Rau's younger sister.

However, the game also says that the Mark is passed on to a newborn when the previous bearer of the Mark dies. So Tati gained the mark when the Utus' parent's died, since she was the youngest.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

berryjon posted:

Alternately, Rau and Tati could be Brother/Sister in the "We say so, and anyone who could prove otherwise is dead" camp.

Maybe, but I don't recall the games ever saying that Tati is Rau's "adopted" sister, unless I missed it. Which is likely, honestly.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Sel Nar posted:

As for Tati using momentum and similar to defeat her enemies, it makes sense; most of the grunts are taller and bulkier than her (while most of them only came up to chest-high on Rau), She simply doesn't have the sheer mass and muscle density to throw people around like Rau or Baumusu do/did. She's still strong enough to decapitate fools, though, which suggests that her knives are really scary sharp.

As a bit more detail in her animations, notice how she does her finishing and stealth kills: She's actively trying to cause the Kasai as much pain as possible. When she pins a dude's head to a wall with a dagger, she leans over to peer into his eyes as the life leaves his face (at least, that's my interpretation). Whereas Rau ends motherfuckers very quickly, if violently.

When Kuzo said she'd become "bitter", that was clearly an understatement.

On the subject of animations, back in the first level, many of Baumusu's animations (especially the stealth kill) are actually more brutal than Rau's, which tells me that as he got older, Baumusu might have shown more restraint in training Rau, and Rau picked up on that.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

I'll say more about the dragon boss fight next time, but there is one thing I kinda noticed when playing this level on Rau's path.

Watching Tati fight by herself, I saw that she was using Griz's insta-kill animations. I figure that might just be a glitch, though, since I didn't see her using them in your video. Unless it's just really inconsistent.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

While I agree with you on the first part, with the priest, I disagree with you about Tati. I personally think she fits in just fine. Just because she's different from Rau isn't a bad thing, or "weak".

They're two different characters. Tati doesn't do everything that Rau does in her animations because she isn't Rau. In fact, she's completely the opposite to her brother in pretty much every way, aside from the fact that they kill people.

Rau is restrained in his brutality. Tati is pissed.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Yeah, the dragon is... A speedbump, needless to say. It's worse when playing as Tati in this boss fight, since it's basically luck whether or not the AI Rau actually hits the drat dragon. This is a "hurry up and wait" boss, which... Eh. Could have at least made it land on the arena so you could wail at its head. Instead, you're spamming arrows at him and will probably miss 50% of the time.

At least it's done now, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

I don't think big, sprawling levels like this work well for this game. At least, not when you don't have a clear goal in mind.

The smaller, linear levels from Mark of Kri seemed to give a lot more focus for how the games' stealth works.

Rise of the Kasai isn't the Thief series (the originals on the PC), where the sprawling levels worked for the benefit of the games, since that's how the games were designed; You had goals, but you were rewarded for looking through every nook and cranny of the giant level and pilfering everything that wasn't nailed down, and some things that were.

In this game, it's more of a slog to go through, which is a shame. I like how the place looks, just not how it plays. A waypoint here or there might have been useful.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I forgot if it was mentioned, but is there some kind of multiplayer option for this game?

Nah, I looked at my personal copy of the game and the box says "1 Player". Which is another shame, though I can't imagine there would be nearly as many motherfuckers on screen at the same time.

Still, if there were some split-screen multiplayer, you'd have been able to coordinate with the player controlling the opposite sibling a lot better. And might have ended up being a bit more fun, if potentially frustrating.

• Locked thread