Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
just spent 15 minutes reading up on gamergate and everyone involved are poo poo :coffeepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Merdifex posted:

so why wasn't nice bereaved man Eron Gjoni allowed to post his story on SA

Its strange that so many still care so much about the over-a-year-old emotional distress of a singular basically anonymous nobody. One less charitable might assume that this is because they identify with his peril as a failfuck loser who got totally owned

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
gamergayte and reddit are for total faggots

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
why wont reddit save doobie's dog house

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dongattack posted:

just spent 15 minutes reading up on gamergate and everyone involved are poo poo :coffeepal:

yeah p much

This, and that the Law And Order episode on GamerGate was so bad that both sides thought it was bad, are pretty much all you need to know

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I wanna post the n word but I dont want to get banned, loving fascist SJW moderators!!!!!!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Nooner posted:

I wanna post the n word but I dont want to get banned, loving fascist SJW moderators!!!!!!

It's racist if you end it with _er but not if you end it with _erstomper58 hth :)

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nooner posted:

You can say "sparkling wiggles" instead.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Nooner posted:

gamergayte and reddit are for total faggots

gaymergate or gamergayte

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Tezzor posted:

the point of phrasing it like this is that it is the most true way to phrase it. you think i am biased and unreasonable because you are less intelligent than i am. i hope this has clarified matters
Its not though, I already posted an objective view of the scenario that is much more reasonable and neutral.

ArbitraryC posted:

It's basically reddit vs tumblr. The reddit side feels like social issues have been coopted by insufferable people looking for excuses to be bullies and poo poo on everything, the tumblr side believes in trickle down bigotry and feels like policing content creators will solve modern sexism and racism. While at their core both sides have valid points an uninvested person could agree with, the public face of the fight is basically everyone spending 100% of their effort finding the craziest people on the other side and claiming that those views are held by everyone they disagree with.
This is accurate. At the end of the day if you sat a normal person down and asked them about their thoughts on how the internet reacted to shirtstorm, they'd think it was dumb. If you asked them what they thought of women in media being overly sexualized, they'd admit chainmail bikinis were silly. At their very core both sides discuss issues normal people could see as an issue, the rest is just tribalism. If you find yourself strong allying with one side rather than just viewing it as a dumb internet slapfight it's only cause you're willfully ignoring the dumb things on your side.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think this is turning into hellthread part 2 instead of making fun of the weird reddit cybercult so, the thread's hours are numbered. Enjoy

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArbitraryC posted:

Its not though, I already posted an objective view of the scenario that is much more reasonable and neutral.

actually you've talked me into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
one of my favorite things about gamergate peeps is that they're so far down the rabbit hole that they begin with the assumption that everybody has up to the minute awareness of the scandals and backstories of their current enemies nearly all of whom are irrelevant non-entities even by the standards of the internet, then proceed at full tilt from there so next thing you know they're viciously demanding to know why you haven't yet denounced xX_SSJ69MindyMCAmyRose_Xx. i have read threads about gamergate almost daily for a year and i sincerely do not have the slightest clue what the gently caress they're talking about half the time.

especially funny because they love to make fun of the invented terminology and outrage brigade over at tumblr, but their bullshit is way more opaque and spergy. if i arrived on a time machine from 1985 i could kind of hash out what a "transracial omnisexual" is using context clues but if i heard "Gamasutra gives a 8.5 to MGS V because Quiet offends SJWs" i'd assume they were having a stroke

• Locked thread