Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

nature6pk posted:

So Sbisa is getting a lifetime suspension, right?

I got a semi just reading that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

grack posted:

The Sharks lost to a hockey team put together by Jim Benning

w/o the Sedins and with Sbisa and Sutter in the lineup

(of course we didn't have to face Pavelski or Thornton either)

e: I never really realized that Thornton has a Miller-esque wonk-eye

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

For the first time, we have had 3-on-3 OT fail to deliver. PIT/CBJ to home run derby.

Korpisalo was a loving monster all night.

Of the CBJ prospects playing, I thought Milano looked the best. Really sloppy game though. A lot of guys showed some good potential but passing was just a mess on both sides for a good portion of the night.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

nature6pk posted:

So Sbisa is getting a lifetime suspension, right?

Didn't watch, this sounds juicy, what did Shithead do?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

whatis posted:

N:
Eichel's assist to Moulson: https://vine.co/v/ePg63hgbabJ
Eichel's shortie for the win: https://vine.co/v/ePgwZFMYXHF

V:
lol he's really good

He's good, but is he Zac Rinaldo good?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
man, I forgot how loving boring preseason hockey is

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Jamwad Hilder posted:

man, I forgot how loving boring preseason hockey is

I'd rather watch pole vault practice.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

mennoknight posted:

Me too.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

They used to practice pole vault in the gym I used to work out in during university. It's actually pretty fun sitting on a stationary bike watching people regularly throw themselves at a bar, miss, then swear loudly while an overweight 45 year old dude berates them for it.

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

ThinkTank posted:

They used to practice pole vault in the gym I used to work out in during university. It's actually pretty fun sitting on a stationary bike watching people regularly throw themselves at a bar, miss, then swear loudly while an overweight 45 year old dude berates them for it.

why were u being mean to them

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

claude julien only rollig three lines tonight

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sens have perfected the technology that lets them lose to the Leafs twice in the same night.

A Dreidger-Hammond future scares me.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
N: Tom Wilson scored last night

V: Yay Tom Wilson did a thing other than punch a mans

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bregor posted:

N: Tom Wilson scored last night

V: Yay Tom Wilson did a thing other than punch a mans

Do Caps fans still hold any hope for Tom Wilson as something more than an enforcer, or is it clear he's just a classic case of being rushed into the NHL and stagnating at this point?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

ThinkTank posted:

Do Caps fans still hold any hope for Tom Wilson as something more than an enforcer, or is it clear he's just a classic case of being rushed into the NHL and stagnating at this point?

I think his ceiling is greatly diminished by how he was rushed to the NHL and deployed the last two years. With the Caps other roster moves he won't be seeing the top six anytime soon either. So a 3rd-liner with net presence and good at punching mans is basically what we're hoping for.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
i don't know why they insist on wilson being a goon. he's actually a good skater and he has pretty good hands too, i think he could be a reliable checking line forward who puts up slightly better than average (for a third liner) numbers if they'd give him the opportunity.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

i don't know why they insist on wilson being a goon. he's actually a good skater and he has pretty good hands too, i think he could be a reliable checking line forward who puts up slightly better than average (for a third liner) numbers if they'd give him the opportunity.

He's almost surely going to be starting as the third line RW this season, with either Burakovsky or maybe Derek Roy centering him if they sign him (which I think they should), so he should be playing alongside a guy with decent skill to start the season. I don't really agree with you about him having good hands, he never seems to handle passes well and he loses possession really easily it seems. As always, you can blame Adam Oates and George McPhee for Wilson's stunted growth. Also Wilson making the NHL roster in 2013 is the reason why McPhee traded Matty Perreault away for peanuts.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

loving thank god for hockey! :toot:

That midget dude called Gibbons looked pretty drat good as did Skjei and Lindberg. Also, McIlrath had a surprisingly good game and was the Rangers' best player fancystats-wise. Kevin Klein got three secondary assists but was horrible in the Corsi Hockey League.

Rangers PP is still horrible, though.

Also, good god this wrister by Kreider is just silly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_pIl-fEXss

Oh! I also tried out hockeystreams with a one-day sub and tried to watch the game during my train commute. Although the video quality was loving mindblowing when compared to GCL, it kept buffering too often. Also, using HS through the PS4 browser seems really bad since there isn't any search bar visible and I'm not able to skip forward.

larkko fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 22, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

larkko posted:

Oh! I also tried out hockeystreams with a one-day sub and tried to watch the game during my train commute. Although the video quality was loving mindblowing when compared to GCL, it kept buffering too often.

The girlfriend and I had that issue as well when we did a month trial of it. Like, yeah, the quality and interface were great, but buffering was just obnoxious.

It's not like we have slow internet, either, so :iiam:.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It is coming from Scandinavia or something, and I doubt they have a distribution network in place.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Mine wasn't having buffering problems, so who knows. Could be a demand at any given time thing, I suppose

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Vicas posted:

Mine wasn't having buffering problems, so who knows. Could be a demand at any given time thing, I suppose

same and I've got lovely Canadian internet

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
hahah oh my god, Torts got hired by NHL Network as an analyst

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/9/22/9371003/john-tortorella-highlights-list-of-new-faces-joining-nhl-network-in

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vicas posted:

Yeah, for people who it works well for, it's a great product. Hell, when it was working well for us it was well worth the cost; the issue was more that it was a crap shoot any given game whether we'd be able to watch on the high quality stream or if we'd get more buffering than not on the SD stream.

Honestly I'm kinda jealous of the people who don't have any issues with it. :shobon:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

"How to almost single-handedly ruin a team's season and anger their fanbase"

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hockeystreams worked out pretty great for me. Decided to cut cable just recently. It even works out pretty well on my PS4.

I'm happy that hockey is back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All these criminals.

You wouldn't stream a car from a European country with limited NHL presence and lax copyright laws.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

No MJ, what are you doing?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

gently caress yeah, battle of Alberta

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

larkko posted:

Oh! I also tried out hockeystreams with a one-day sub and tried to watch the game during my train commute. Although the video quality was loving mindblowing when compared to GCL, it kept buffering too often. Also, using HS through the PS4 browser seems really bad since there isn't any search bar visible and I'm not able to skip forward.

Hockeystreams has a much higher bitrate for the higher quality streams than GCL, so the buffering is understandable. Pretty sure you can select which bitrate you want to stream at on mobile though.

I've never used hockeystreams through the PS4 browser but yeah it sounds painful just thinking about it. I have both a chromecast and Roku and it works great through both of those. If you have one of those devices maybe try it out on them? The Chromecast gets a bonus if you have an android phone/tablet because you can sideload the hockeycasts app and chromecast right from your device:

http://www6.hockeystreams.com/assist/categories/13/API+Discussion/7713/APP++Hockey+Cast++AndroidChromecast

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

neckbeard posted:

gently caress yeah, battle of Alberta
Was the blood from the Flames guy's nose, or from Darnell's hand from repeatedly punching his visor?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bissonette has some things to say about fancy stats:

quote:

It’s interesting that the popular opinion on what type of roster you need to build in order to have a winning team seems to shift over time. When people saw Boston win the Cup, the model became to build big, tough, strong teams that could forecheck hard and wear opponents down. And then you start seeing teams like Tampa and Chicago have success, and suddenly teams start thinking they don’t need fighters in order to win, they just need four lines of guys who can skate and buzz around. Then L.A. wins it, and people notice that they got all these big mutants up front, and then other teams try to mimic that. Winning has such an impact on what people think, but there’s no perfect formula. Despite that, you have a bunch of organizations trying to conjure one.

So now you have all these bottom-feeder teams handing over boatloads of money and influence to analytics guys, and I don’t see the point. Now you’re just using stats to say how bad your team is when that’s apparent from just watching them play. These are guys who go, “Wow, Jonathan Toews has great puck possession.” Well no poo poo, he’s one of the best players in the world. I don’t need stats to tell me that.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/paul-bissonnette-nhl-qa-mailbag/

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
loving numbers, am I right, guys?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dinosaur who barely qualifies as a hockey player and is a possession black hole disavows analytics? Well I'm stunned.

This is like asking a taxi driver about his thoughts on Uber as a business model.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Bissonette also defended Kunitz on Team Canada.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
why don't you just take a class at the local community college if you like math and stupid rear end graphs so drat much

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
That's not what he says but OK

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Dinosaur who barely qualifies as a hockey player and is a possession black hole disavows analytics? Well I'm stunned.

frighteningly, he has actually been a positive possession player over his career

pretty much every team, bottom feeder or not, has an analytics guy or some sort of in-house stats system so that part of his dumb argument feels more dumb than the rest

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

So now his job is answering questions from reporters all day long?

That's like a prison guard retiring and switching over to catching open jars of other people's piss fulltime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's not saying analytics are wrong, he's saying they're useless

Totally different.

• Locked thread