Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I don't know if I can call her a good actress or not because she has had like ten minutes of screen time across two seasons and most of those were scenes were practically "HEY I STILL EXIST!" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Davros1 posted:

Just when the show seemed to be getting on track:

http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/sex-sells-foxs-gotham-is-recasting-poison-ivy

Guess 14 year Clare Foley just wasn't getting sexy enough for them

lol thats really gross, the actress was fine, why couldn't they give her swamp thing-ish powers to control plants since she's too young to sell as a sex object? Oh that would require actual VFX, now she will shoot a CGI dust puff and mind control men with zero actual powers to animate on screen. Haven't tread that ground before...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bring back old gbs posted:

lol thats really gross, the actress was fine, why couldn't they give her swamp thing-ish powers to control plants since she's too young to sell as a sex object? Oh that would require actual VFX, now she will shoot a CGI dust puff and mind control men with zero actual powers to animate on screen. Haven't tread that ground before...

He did the same thing on Rome with Octavian. They aged him up so they could do sex stuff. It could also be an issue where she could not do the stuff they expect out of a regular.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

bobkatt013 posted:

He did the same thing on Rome with Octavian. They aged him up so they could do sex stuff. It could also be an issue where she could not do the stuff they expect out of a regular.

Uh, before they aged that character up on Rome they had him bang his own sister. They primarily aged him up so he would be credible as a soldier and military leader.

As far as Ivy goes, I think they originally cast the character as a glorified cameo, and now that they've decided they want to expand the role they want an actress more capable and more credible as the traditional Poison Ivy character. Either way it doesn't really bother me, she was only on the show a few times and never particularly impressed me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They should just replace her with Uma Thurman and when questioned by Selina about when she became so mature, just have her blame a growth spurt. No other explanation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I would care more if this wasn't a character who had barely been in the show. Although it is kind of funny how people are complaining about recasting this character when nobody was happy with the casting in the first place.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

muscles like this? posted:

I would care more if this wasn't a character who had barely been in the show. Although it is kind of funny how people are complaining about recasting this character when nobody was happy with the casting in the first place.

I don't care about the recasting of the character due to the character. I care because of the shows inability to run itself the right way. It doesn't really need to be sexed up.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Maybe I missed something but the show runner says in that article that he won't necessarily be sexing up the characters the way the comics do so why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that this girl wasn't sexy enough and then blaming the show for that somehow? Unless I missed something, this is some creepy projecting going on here.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flyinglemur posted:

Maybe I missed something but the show runner says in that article that he won't necessarily be sexing up the characters the way the comics do so why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that this girl wasn't sexy enough and then blaming the show for that somehow? Unless I missed something, this is some creepy projecting going on here.

this line:

quote:

Add this to a previous TV Line report which stated they'd be adding "a young villainess 'who uses her sexuality to entrap men,'" and we're getting into familiar territory.

The article is taking the previous rumour/report and assuming they are talking about Poison Ivy now that she's been recast. It's possible they are talking about a new villain and not Ivy, but it kinda fits.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Flyinglemur posted:

I was going to post something similar.

It's very possible, and likely even, that the decision to recast has less to do with what Tapeheads taught us is called "production value," and more to do with the fact that the young actress they hired to play a young Poison Ivy cameo is either not interested in or incapable (in the director's/producer's opinion) of pulling off an expanded role. And it's not like they're replacing one of the female leads in a soap opera because the character has to stick around even though the performer is leaving. As has been noted, Ivy has, what, 10 total minutes of screen time over the last two seasons? You could replace the character of "Ivy," who looks like a young Poison Ivy, with the character of "Jimmy" who has no connection to the Batman story, and you'd lose nothing.

bring back old gbs posted:

The article is taking the previous rumour/report and assuming they are talking about Poison Ivy now that she's been recast. It's possible they are talking about a new villain and not Ivy, but it kinda fits.

And yeah, it does kind-of fit. I don't know how many sexy villainesses there are in the Batman canon, but I'd imagine there's more than one.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

So are they doing a time skip or just retconning her previous age of like 12-14? I think Mazouz (Bruce) could possibly play 3-4 years older than what he is doing, but I'm not sure about Selena's actress, and I'm not sure they really ended on a note that could plausibly be time skipped.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
The best way would be to just have the new actress be Pamela Isley instead of Ivy Pepper.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

bentacos posted:

The best way would be to just have the new actress be Pamela Isley instead of Ivy Pepper.

This would definitely work. Just as long as they don't go full Uma Thurman with the character.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
You never go full Uma.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BioEnchanted posted:

They should just replace her with Uma Thurman and when questioned by Selina about when she became so mature, just have her blame a growth spurt. No other explanation.

Cat: What the hell happened?
Ivy: It's a Miracle GROing so fast.
*looks direct at camera*

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bentacos posted:

Total fake out.... keep t'other girl as Ivy's Robin, Pollen.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

tarlibone posted:

I don't know how many sexy villainesses there are in the Batman canon

Like, all of them?

Even BTAS went that route with an episode of Ivy and Harley hanging out in their underwear.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Jut wanted to say how much I loved the showdown between Penguin and Maroni in the cabin in season 1, the game of truth. The music is phenomenal, the way each characters theme battles alongside them as they keeps teetering on the edge of victory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p_KHQUwIPA

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Maggie Geha has been cast as Poison Ivy

quote:

Following an encounter with a monster from Indian Hill, Ivy Pepper finds herself reborn, and one step closer to the DC villain she is destined to become: Poison Ivy. Now a 19-year-old woman who’s harnessed the full power of her charms, she sets her sights on Bruce Wayne (David Mazouz).

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Hahaha, she gets 'Big'd.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
... Wait a minute.

So Ivy Pepper is getting the 'Big' treatment, and the show is going to have a 19-year-old temptress seducing as 12-year-old (or whatever, I forget) Bruce?

That's just a little bit skeevy...

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
They seriously should have just used another character and let Ivy Pepper be that weird girl who likes plants more than abusive people.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I cannot forsee a future in which this plot line doesn't get really creepy if she goes full seductress. Gordon, finding out who she is after she tries it on with him, turns on his heel and walks out. When Leslie asks him where he's going he just replies "Back to blackgate. Bye!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm sort of hoping there's a time jump. The actors who play Bruce and Selina are able to be aged up a bit more easily, but the girl who played Ivy just couldn't? Also, it maybe gives them a window to just let us jump into a Gotham City that has been inundated with metacriminals for a few years and the eventual return of Jim Gordon to Gotham after a long absence.

Burning_Monk posted:

They seriously should have just used another character and let Ivy Pepper be that weird girl who likes plants more than abusive people.

Yeah. Pamela Isley/Poison Ivy should be her own character and Ivy Pepper be Ivy Pepper. The other alternative is that Ivy Pepper sort of becomes a proto-Poison Ivy that ends up creating the Poison Ivy mythology/persona for Pamela to adopt later. Something like that when a new lady with plant powers shows up in Gotham after a few years, 'just call her 'Poison Ivy', like we did the other one.' Sort of like how Scarecrow's dad had a strange fear obsession thing that will be carried on by his son, Jerome inspired the madness of other in Gotham, etc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Turns out Ivy Pepper gets adopted by Dr Harvy Quinzel.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Benedict Samuel has been cast as Mad Hatter

quote:

Aussie actor Benedict Samuel (The Walking Dead) has been cast in the series regular role of Jervis Tetch/Mad Hatter for the upcoming third season of Fox’s Batman origin series.

Jervis Tetch is a talented hypnotist teetering on the edge of madness. He arrives in Gotham with an unwavering desire to find his sister, Alice, a young woman who went missing in the city years ago. It is anyone’s guess just how far down the rabbit hole he’s willing to go in order to find her.

Samuel was most recently seen in a recurring role on The Walking Dead, playing The Wolf. He recently played the male lead in the Australian miniseries The Beautiful Lie, and had a lead role in Robert Zemeckis’ The Walk. He also appears in Australian miniseries Secret City, and in indie features By Way of Helena and The Stanford Prison Experiment, which premiered at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival. He’s repped by Management 360 and by United Management in Australia.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Actor does look skeevey and by making Alice his sister you get rid of the rapey aspect of the character.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
No he could still be into that, shes not missing shes hiding down a dark rabbit hole.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

LongDarkNight posted:

Actor does look skeevey and by making Alice his sister you get rid of the rapey aspect of the character.

Well, this is on Fox....

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First look at Gotham's third season

https://twitter.com/Gotham/status/762806963050680320/video/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Omg, the line we've all been expecting for two years! Penguins EAT fish.

• Locked thread