Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Starting later this season the show will finally start crediting Bill Finger for his role in creating Batman/every single thing about Batman that isn't just the name "Batman." They've been advertising season 2 as "Rise of the Villains" which makes sense as a basic premise of the show is that the main characters can't actually win and clean up the town seeing as Gotham has to be lovely enough to need a Batman.

Last season had a bit of a rough start with a lot of nudge nudge, wink wink but once things settled down it became fairly good. The show creators blame Fox for some of the issues seeing as they had problems with knowing how many episodes they were actually going to get. Ben McKenzie is also promising an end to stand alone episodes and that this season will be completely serialized. For better or worse this season is also promising a focus on Cameron Monaghan's maybe, could be, possibly, Joker, Jerome.

Announced villains for season 2:
Mr Freeze
Firefly
Clayface
Tigress
Flamingo

Also added as regulars: Michael Chiklis as Capt. Nathanial Barnes and veteran character actor James Frain as the mysterious(ly evil) Theo Galvan.

Last season ended with:

An immanent gang war seeing as the old guard are all dead, leaving nothing but young wolves ready to tear each other apart.

Because of a comment by young Lucius Fox, Bruce discovered a secret door in his father's study.

Finally snapping, Edward Nygma murdered and dismembered his crush's crooked cop abusive boyfriend.

Gordon finally stopped the serial killer "Ogre" with the added benefit/downside of Barbara Keane, his ex-fiancé, being driven insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Alright, I'm going to try and watch season 2.

For some reason I finished Season 1 once it was on Netflix. It was awful, yet some parts amusing. And also a small warning, the first episode of season 2 has -somehow- leaked :filez: , so there might be spoilers around already.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Forgot to mention, as of right now Fish is not set to return as Jada Pinkett-Smith's contract was only set for the one season.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Still no Batman, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is one of those shows I feel like has already been on for 2+ seasons (same as The Flash) because the 22 episode run is just too loving long, especially when they include long mid-season breaks. Having to stretch out the story across that length of time is I think one of the major issues this show faces - it's very frustrating to watch because it's often awful, sometimes extremely good, but in general just averages out to kind of bland and uninspired.

I do have to say though, despite being pretty irritated at the decision to have young Bruce Wayne play such a large part, I've found him to be one of the best parts of the show, and I'm more interested in his subplot than most everything else that is going on. It's just a shame that it can only really go so far, which is the issue that plagues most of the other storylines - we already know certain things can't/won't happen because in the end Gotham needs to be the way Gotham is, certain characters need to survive all the way, and then Batman can show up and strike terror into the hearts of criminals, who are a superstitious and cowardly lot.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm really not too keen on the kid actors on the show, despite how much other people seem to be liking them. I actually sort of think Bruce could/should be a far more background character that is quietly leveling up without anyone noticing, but then I think we mostly lose Alfred, who is one of the great bits of the show.

I'm sort of thinking that we could almost replace the Bruce Mystery Adventure with Alfred doing the work for him by proxy. Alfred allowing kid-Bruce to do in-house investigating on his own to a point, but Alfred thinks it's too dangerous and ends up being the one who is starting to do legwork and investigate the Wayne stuff for Bruce in an attempt to protect him and distract people from Bruce being the real driving investigating force.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I recall thinking before the first season started that it would be kind of cool if Bruce disappeared shortly after the murders to "boarding school" or something, and that Alfred got to remain a central character in his own right.

In the end, little Bruce ended up being pretty good as a character, though usually more from the angle of watching him ineptly try to deal with Selena, but I do agree that the show may be relying on him too much as a crutch since everybody knows his ultimate fate. For a show that is supposed to be about Jim Gordon, the story is usually stronger when somebody else is getting the main spotlight.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

muscles like this? posted:

Forgot to mention, as of right now Fish is not set to return as Jada Pinkett-Smith's contract was only set for the one season.
This will make the show much better, even if nothing else changed. I am optimistic about going to a completely serialized storyline. The Fish and monster of the week episodes were the worst parts of the first season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw an ad that promised Barbara is going to continue to be loving nutzo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The season preview has someone that pretty much has to be the Joker. Hoping he is well done.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Waltzing Along posted:

The season preview has someone that pretty much has to be the Joker. Hoping he is well done.

If its Jerome from last season. Their FB feed is calling him the maniax. Ugh. I have also heard its going to be a gang of Jokers, so who knows what is misdirection.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Trickjaw posted:

If its Jerome from last season. Their FB feed is calling him the maniax. Ugh. I have also heard its going to be a gang of Jokers, so who knows what is misdirection.

Well that is certainly some suck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

Yes, they've said they're going to spend more time with Jerome who is the Joker until they decide he's not. Also I don't know if they're following up on it or not but last season they said Harvey Dent would be appearing more often.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, a lot happened in a month.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So, uh, I guess that leverage Gordon had over Loeb magically evaporated?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Gotham: The Burp of Zaargon

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So what did Penguin ask Jim to do? I missed it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Echophonic posted:

So what did Penguin ask Jim to do? I missed it.

Collect money from a guy refusing to pay him.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
oh god the Gordon Running Face cam

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
He's dead, Jim. Also you are now morally compromised beyond your worst nightmares, and you're probably going to cross at least one more major moral line before the season's out.

So far we're on course for a near Agents of Shield level improvement in Season Two, should be fun!

Edit: Also, now all I want is for Jim to adopt a separate persona when doing evil poo poo for Penguin called The Commissioner.

Edit 2: And I like the Gordon Running Facecam.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gordon's not a very good cop right now.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
What are the chances this episode ends with Bullock waking up on his apartment floor after a bender, dusting himself off, and heading back to work at the GCPD

e: Bruce is building a giant bomb oh my gravy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thomas Wayne was super into bondage.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
"I've done a bad thing". Not leaving a note if you ding someone's bumper is a bad thing. Siccing Penguin on the commissioner is a step or seven beyond, that, Jimbo.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

evenworse username posted:

What are the chances this episode ends with Bullock waking up on his apartment floor after a bender, dusting himself off, and heading back to work at the GCPD

e: Bruce is building a giant bomb oh my gravy

I really wanted to see Bullock pour himself a huge drink and drink it right after Jim walked out the door. I'm pretty sad that didn't happen, I guess I want Bullock to be miserable and lying to his pal.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Is anyone having serious issues with the audio on the Fox broadcast? I even switched rooms to watch to make sure it wasn't my sound bar loving up.

It's almost as if the sound is buffering like the old Max Headroom spots.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Arkham has terrible guards, holy poo poo.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I will admit that I did not see an explosive Soul Reaper belch escape gambit coming.

This episode is looney tunes even by the show's own standards.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Aw, I liked Alfred and Bruce's little high five. Bonding over bomb building.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PS, I'm Batman.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So is this the not-league-of-shadows that they don't have the rights to because Arrow has it, or is it something else from the comics?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So far Galavan is a new character invented for the show. They might eventually tie him in some way to an existing group but not yet.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It would have been awesome if Jims reflection had started speaking to him. Well, funny at least. But yeah...not that type of show. Too bad.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Was it just me or did like 3 people try out the gravelly 'Batman' voice this episode? I hope they keep that up, it's silly watching these people growl at each other.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
My TV has ham again! It's got ham!

My DVR got ham.

Then I got ham.

So... not a bad start to the second season. Not that Babs is bad on purpose, she's much less irritating as a character. And this episode is 100% Fish-free!!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Peter Scolari > Tom Hanks.

Since Bosom Buddies and forever.

Tom Hanks is friends with Spielberg and Hollywood mucky-mucks, though.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

tarlibone posted:

My TV has ham again! It's got ham!

My DVR got ham.

Then I got ham.

So... not a bad start to the second season. Not that Babs is bad on purpose, she's much less irritating as a character. And this episode is 100% Fish-free!!

Congratulations on the first got ham post of the S2 thread Tar! :thumbsup:

I love that the explicit mission of the show is for things in Got Ham to get worse and worse over time to the point that a crazy rich guy in a fancy supersuit fighting crime is its only hope of salvation. Hopefully we get enough seasons to get a properly badass series finale with things REALLY going to hell and Batman finally showing up to save the day in epic fashion. May as well have him foil some kind of plot by Penguin and a few other villains to kill Jim Gordon. Gordon's tied to a chair, Penguin is taunting him talking about how he ruined their friendship, then WHAM Batarangs to everybody. Or just make the whole last season have Batman in it, and do the season finale of the penultimate season with Batman's first appearance for a proper cliffhanger.

I just want my Bat Man in my Got Ham.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My one true Got Ham wish is for Arnold Wesker to show up and perform increasingly disturbing shows for the children of Gotham.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Whole lotta decapitation, stabbings and shootings in this episode. Got Ham is cranking up the violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Crazy Babs makes Got Ham worth it. So does crazy Nygma. Can we just make everyone crazy?

I saw Morena Baccarin got promoted to regular which is ace cause every show needs more Morena Baccarin

• Locked thread