Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I'm one minute into the episode and it's already wonderfully stupid. Trying to guess a five-digit passcode, "There must be a million possible combinations!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Ah

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Nameless Pete posted:

I'm one minute into the episode and it's already wonderfully stupid. Trying to guess a five-digit passcode, "There must be a million possible combinations!"

Was there any reason for anyone to even assume it was a 5-digit passcode?

I mean, assuming the passcode only uses digits (I didn't look hard enough to see if there were other characters, like * and #), if there are 5 digits in the code, there are exactly 100,000 possible combinations. Sure, it's not a million, but it's still a lot. But I didn't see anything indicating a 5-digit code. If it's a 4-digit code, there are 10,000 possible combinations, and if you don't know if it's 4 or 5 digits, it's 110,000.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NowonSA posted:

Edit 2: And I like the Gordon Running Facecam.

I can't ever see that style of POV again without being reminded of The Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar and Ginger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QACSo5xk3dE

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Gordon looking to a 14 year old for advice and wisdom was pretty silly.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

tarlibone posted:

Was there any reason for anyone to even assume it was a 5-digit passcode?

I mean, assuming the passcode only uses digits (I didn't look hard enough to see if there were other characters, like * and #), if there are 5 digits in the code, there are exactly 100,000 possible combinations. Sure, it's not a million, but it's still a lot. But I didn't see anything indicating a 5-digit code. If it's a 4-digit code, there are 10,000 possible combinations, and if you don't know if it's 4 or 5 digits, it's 110,000.

I may be wrong, but I thought one of Bruce's guesses was just "2." Who's the real Two-Face??

Seconding the Morena love. EDIT: Ben McKenzie is officially dating her? Gordon, you sonuvabitch! Not that he could help himself.

Also agreed that Crazy Prison Barbara is the best thing that's happened to Barbara's storyline so far.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 22, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought Jeromeker was much better in this appearance than last season 2.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
While the show has a good upswing in quality, the thing that I really love is Gordon having to compromise. Staunch defender of truth and justice Jim in a sea of filth was an interesting original premise, but having that same person willingly compromise and actually lower himself down to the ranks he's despised and then dig himself back up is great. It gives him perspective on the situation, rather than just being above it. He can struggle to find that balance that leads him to look the other way on Batman for the greater good, but also come back to his position of "purity" by having lived the other side.

The rest of the premiere was good, but if they continue Gordon doing "bad things", it makes for a much more interesting show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How is the thread title not Got Ham Season 2: HEAR ME, GOR'DON!!!?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Space Fish posted:

Seconding the Morena love. EDIT: Ben McKenzie is officially dating her? Gordon, you sonuvabitch! Not that he could help himself.
Considering I don't think any time she was acting opposite the male leads in Firefly or Homeland (no one watched V, let's be honest) it felt like there was never any chemistry or rapport, but there's tons of it here. So not surprised, really. But also glad because now I know Morena Baccarin can actually act.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I was hoping we would drift away from grimcamp :saddowns:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

hard counter posted:

This show is straight up Burton, complete with Siouxsie and the Banshee covers during the club scene just like in Batman Returns.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Great upswing in quality from last season. James Frain without his accent is really loving weird. Joker kid and Crazy Barbra are both good though I'm sad that killed off that one dude at the end, he's one of those "that guy" actors I always like to see.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I love that even in an asylum, Barbara still steadfastly refuses to wear pants.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Dresh posted:

I love that even in an asylum, Barbara still steadfastly refuses to wear pants.

I still found that drat odd. It's an asylum where we already know there's a male section and a female section and both are kept separate even up to the staff used (Morena's character was the female section's physician). So why the gently caress is Barbara in the male ward? This show...

I just need to stop applying any sort of logic.

By the way, Zsasz and Penguin, gross. Have some respect and get some crunchy peanut butter, not creamy!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phylodox posted:

How is the thread title not Got Ham Season 2: HEAR ME, GOR'DON!!!?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

hard counter posted:

Just learn to accept the grimcamp. Once you stop trying to take the show seriously it becomes more fun.

muscles like this? posted:

I thought Jeromeker was much better in this appearance than last season 2.

While I originally didn't like the idea of a (potential) Joker origin, I actually like Jerome. If the kid is actually going to be the Joker, it's not a bad choice.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TyrantWD posted:

Gordon looking to a 14 year old for advice and wisdom was pretty silly.

I mean, usually, sure, but dude, that kid's gonna be Batman. Of course he's gonna ask him for advice.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

They're playing Bruce up as the sort of prodigy who could master next to everything someday, he's gonna say something beyond his years once in a while.

imperialparadox posted:

Just learn to accept the grimcamp. Once you stop trying to take the show seriously it becomes more fun.

If we had Danny Elfman helping out on audio maybe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

imperialparadox posted:

While I originally didn't like the idea of a (potential) Joker origin, I actually like Jerome. If the kid is actually going to be the Joker, it's not a bad choice.

Yeah that kid has got the "ginger Christian Slater Jack Nicholson impersonator" down pat, if they swerve and make him the not-Joker I think I'll be kinda annoyed.

I liked last season just fine but this premiere was all the good things about this show and none of the bad things. Crazy Barbara owns.

e: wasn't enough Bullock though, is Donal Logue's role being toned down to just "bartender Gordon hangs out with every couple episodes" for reals or what?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the preview at the end of the episode they showed Bullock back with the cops.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel the show is trying to stop being super serious and is starting to embrace the ham part of Gotham.

I loved that the passcode for the secret bunker was Bruce, which would have been one of the more obvious choices. I have one reservation as it feels like they're making Barbara into a Harle character, because they know people loving love Harle Quinn.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

twistedmentat posted:

I have one reservation as it feels like they're making Barbara into a Harle character, because they know people loving love Harle Quinn.

I get where you're coming from but I don't think that's really the point of Barbara. It's clear that she was originally intended to be there for Jim's Epic Romance, she was just written so incredibly badly that there was no way the show could realistically go down that route. Turning Barbara into a whackjob allowed the writers to stay consistent to the character they'd inadvertently created while playing to Erin Richards's strengths. I mean, sure, now she's hanging out with maybe-Joker but it all started because they were just making the best of a bad situation.

e: Ben McKenzie and Morena Baccarin are having a baby :unsmith:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Is that who you think Babs/Batgirl is going to be conceived by eventually? Because Barbara kind of burned that romantic lil' loveboat she had with her ex-hubbie.

Edit: Whoops, I'm an idiot and hadn't known the actors were having the child, not their characters. Still question above remains, even moreso now that they either have to write in a pregnant woman, hide her bump, or write her out for a while or forever.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 24, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rarity posted:

I get where you're coming from but I don't think that's really the point of Barbara. It's clear that she was originally intended to be there for Jim's Epic Romance, she was just written so incredibly badly that there was no way the show could realistically go down that route. Turning Barbara into a whackjob allowed the writers to stay consistent to the character they'd inadvertently created while playing to Erin Richards's strengths. I mean, sure, now she's hanging out with maybe-Joker but it all started because they were just making the best of a bad situation.

e: Ben McKenzie and Morena Baccarin are having a baby :unsmith:

I think turning her into a psycho and have her pal around with the Joker certainly makes her a Harle character. Obviously that was one scene in one episode, so we'll see.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I just blazed through season one and just finished this one. After hearing from so many people how bad the show was I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. The characters were all, bar Gordon, so interesting and rich, with so many great moments. Dialogue was often, well, comic booky, but I am just loving this ride. The ongoing political situation evolving was especially fascinating, like the show is taking is on the same journey that Bruce is on, to find how Gotham works.

I was especially surprised by how good the child actors were, a phrase I wouldn't ever consider myself saying.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Gotham is absolutely a terrible show. That doesn't mean it's not enjoyable. It was fun explaining to my wife, who's watching it for the first time now, Barbara's "character arc" and the fact that Fish goes and has an entirely unrelated, terrible adventure for, like, half a season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

chaosbreather posted:

I just blazed through season one and just finished this one. After hearing from so many people how bad the show was I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. The characters were all, bar Gordon, so interesting and rich, with so many great moments. Dialogue was often, well, comic booky, but I am just loving this ride. The ongoing political situation evolving was especially fascinating, like the show is taking is on the same journey that Bruce is on, to find how Gotham works.

I was especially surprised by how good the child actors were, a phrase I wouldn't ever consider myself saying.

I completely agree.

I do think the season was hurt my the last minute six episode extension though -- they ended up losing a couple of their actors and writers as a result, I gather, hence Falcone's almost complete absence from the second half of the season. But there's still a lot of fun stuff in the latter half -- Fish's hairdo, complete with scales; that amazing eyeball sequence; the Barbara arc; the Joker episode where Morenaa Baccarin gets too enthusiastic about stuff; more Penguin / mother stuff; more Penguin stuff in general; the super-campy Wayne Board of Directors.

I just hope whichever producers were clearly meddling every few episodes have stopped. Jesus, some of that second half lurched, a lot. And they blatantly had to junk an entire episode's worth of character arc for Cat and Fish at one point.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
I watched all of season one at a go last month, and the gangsters, Penguin, and Fish storylines were my favorites :shrug:

I'm along for the S2 ride so far, but I came out of season one caring a lot about the criminals and not at all about the cops.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

mclast posted:

I watched all of season one at a go last month, and the gangsters, Penguin, and Fish storylines were my favorites :shrug:

I'm along for the S2 ride so far, but I came out of season one caring a lot about the criminals and not at all about the cops.

I don't know. Watching Jim slowly compromise more and more while inadvertently bringing about the rise of many of Batman's crazier villains has been pretty amusing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An actor on this show is named "Stink Fisher."

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I thought Alfred was Bruce's legal guardian. He couldn't just be fired.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, there sure is a lot happening in this episode.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

If you kill every other cop, Gordon is the default commissioner.

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
This show is insane. Who in their right mind would want to be a cop in Gotham?

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
I really do like Cameron Monaghan's Cesar Romero laugh. It sounds suitably unhinged.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i like season 2 a hell of alot more then 1 so far. sure its kinda dumb at points but i think its found its groove.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, called it on the not league of shadows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CynCyanide posted:

I really do like Cameron Monaghan's Cesar Romero laugh. It sounds suitably unhinged.

They were definitely channeling TDK for the video. It would be an interesting direction if they had him doing little bits of every version of the Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Barbara is so much cooler now.

• Locked thread