Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hahah, what the hell is this show doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That seems like a waste of a good Joker.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
HOLY loving poo poo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*throws TV remote at wall*

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

muscles like this? posted:

That seems like a waste of a good Joker.

Gonz posted:

*throws TV remote at wall*

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
So they are implying Jerome inspired the Joker? Kinda kills how original the Joker is.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ha, well I guess they went with the "Make you fall in love with a single proto-joker, then kill him and give you a dozen other possibilities" approach. Sigh, they just had to have Jerome come in and kill it, didn't they? Any future Jokers are just imitators.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
OK, I get it.

The producers didn't appreciate the fact that we all thought we knew who the Joker was. So this'll learn us.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I loved fake R'as comment about how Jerome's character wasn't compelling and couldn't last.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
I actually thought that was kind of a cool twist and kind of hate that I am now watching this show because it is decent instead of laughably bad now :shrug:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

siriuslysomething posted:

I actually thought that was kind of a cool twist and kind of hate that I am now watching this show because it is decent instead of laughably bad now :shrug:

It still has plenty of bad stuff like Jerome knowing the magic tricks and Gordon being able to get in the building unnoticed but nobody else being able to get out.

But it will never be as bad as balloon man again.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I love the Balloon Man. He's so bad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Jerome you son of a bitch."
"True, but not important right now."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SHOCKING SWERVE

The next Joker candidate they get isn't going to be anywhere nearly as exciting unless they get a young age clone of Mark Hamill on the show.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Jerome is murdering his parents again in heaven now. :rip:

Funky Valentine posted:

The next Joker candidate they get isn't going to be anywhere nearly as exciting unless they get a young age clone of Mark Hamill on the show.

We just need a young adult who's as good or better than Jerome, and a way to somehow dub in Hamill doing his Joker voice for all his lines.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The TV IV > Gotham Season 2: That's not funny. That's not...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheBizzness posted:

It still has plenty of bad stuff like Jerome knowing the magic tricks

He grew up in a carnival. You do the math.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

TheBizzness posted:

It still has plenty of bad stuff like Jerome knowing the magic tricks and Gordon being able to get in the building unnoticed but nobody else being able to get out.

Did you somehow get a version with Selina being cut out?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The TV IV > Gotham Season 2: That's not funny. That's not...

Clearly Jerome will be back in the Gotham Beyond.

...I really want a Batman Beyond series or movie though guys, it was such a fine cartoon.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Where's a lazarus pit when you need one?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jerome was awesome and next week better be off the hook or I may just write off the rest of the season over that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bull3964 posted:

Jerome was awesome and next week better be off the hook or I may just write off the rest of the season over that.

Yeah, nobody else interests me.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It seemed somehow wrong to me to have the Joker be the Joker in every way except for his deformities years before his encounter with Batman. Jack Napier was an rear end in a top hat criminal, but he didn't create mayhem for its own sake. Whatever his origin was, Heath Ledger Joker only started wreaking havoc around Gotham after Batman started.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The producers said they were going to have several proto-Jokers last season. I'm okay with killing off Jerome if it is part of their plan for a larger story. The writers winging it episode to episode last season was awful. The only problem is the actor was so great in the role that it will be hard to top him. The laughing guys in the montage certainly could not.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm totally fine with having a "that guy was too good of a Joker" problem.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm totally fine with having a "that guy was too good of a Joker" problem.

Out of all the problems to have, I'll admit I didn't see thig one coming.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
"Our show that is middling in the ratings and critical reception finally has a compelling character played by a great young actor who is totally killing it that everyone loves, let's reverse course and kill him off for nothing but shock value"

That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for them

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 6, 2015

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
They had to kill the Joker sooner rather than later because the "modern" Joker only "wants to see the world burn", which is a goal he can either achieve or not.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bbf2 posted:

"Our show that is middling in the ratings and critical reception finally has a compelling character played by a great young actor who is totally killing it that everyone loves, let's reverse course and kill him off for nothing but shock value"

That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for them

Considering it happened in the third episode of the season I doubt they took any kind of reception into consideration.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
They're going to introduce a bunch of proto-Jokers, then Dr. Dollmaker is going to frankenstein one together after he preserves all the dead ones

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Was Jerome a walking, talking shoutout to how Joker in the comics was originally a one-shot character who died then came back because everyone thought he was kinda cool?

Also, Alfred, back the gently caress off, the lady is spoken for and willing to fight for her man.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Space Fish posted:

Was Jerome a walking, talking shoutout to how Joker in the comics was originally a one-shot character who died then came back because everyone thought he was kinda cool?

Also, Alfred, back the gently caress off, the lady is spoken for and willing to fight for her man.

well twiddle my whiskers master bruce, did you know she was spoken for??

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This episode actually sold me on Jerome, I had been on the fence.

Then they killed him.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

TheBizzness posted:

This episode actually sold me on Jerome, I had been on the fence.

Then they killed him.

Agreed. Jerome went from trying too hard to be the Joker, to really owning the role as the Joker, and he is gone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

After sitting with it for a while, I guess I can see their point with having such a good not-Joker. Because if they want to go with this whole copycat route they kind of needed someone who knocked it out of the park in order to inspire such people.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can understand why they killed off Jerome. As I was watching the episode I was thinking that he was killing it but I couldn't see how they could keep him involved in the story long-term. He'd already killed the police captain and the deputy mayor and been involved in a ton of public murders. If he stuck around then that pace would either wipe Gotham off the map by the end of the season or escalate the response from the good guys to the point where Batman would be irrelevant by the time he showed up. This was the only way to avoid writing themselves into a corner.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rarity posted:

I can understand why they killed off Jerome. As I was watching the episode I was thinking that he was killing it but I couldn't see how they could keep him involved in the story long-term. He'd already killed the police captain and the deputy mayor and been involved in a ton of public murders. If he stuck around then that pace would either wipe Gotham off the map by the end of the season or escalate the response from the good guys to the point where Batman would be irrelevant by the time he showed up. This was the only way to avoid writing themselves into a corner.

Doesn't it also destroy whatever canon the writers are attempting to keep whole by having the serious implication that Gordon actively pursued and had many interactions with the Joker long before Bats shows up?

I think my favorite bit in Jerome's short lived appearance was in that last episode where he's hamming up the maniacal (almost clichéd?) laugh fro the camera and then turns off the fee and drops back to stone sociopath face. It was a neat touch. I think he even says something to the effect of "that's enough of that."

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

After sitting with it for a while, I guess I can see their point with having such a good not-Joker. Because if they want to go with this whole copycat route they kind of needed someone who knocked it out of the park in order to inspire such people.

Bullshit. Jerome was perfect as Joker and either they just never have the Actual Joker on Gotham which is dumb on their part or they try to get someone else to do it after that which is even dumber on their part. This really soured me on the show again. It's the opposite of Fish; the guy should be alive and they killed him offf.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Bullshit. Jerome was perfect as Joker and either they just never have the Actual Joker on Gotham which is dumb on their part or they try to get someone else to do it after that which is even dumber on their part. This really soured me on the show again. It's the opposite of Fish; the guy should be alive and they killed him offf.

They are sort of saying that they are not having a Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

They are sort of saying that they are not having a Joker.

Right, and I'm saying that's dumb not from a writing stance, but on the principle that people want to see the Joker in anything Batman, Problem is, any Lil' Joker thing is probably going to suck. A conundrum. But they actually, against all odds, HAD a good one and killed him off. It's stupid and soured me on the show not at face value; on paper the idea of Jerome INSPIRING The Joker (or tons of them) without actually being The Joker and that being his legacy is actually loving awesome..

The problem is that Jerome was a goddamn awesome character, quite possibly my favorite on the show, and they killed him for the sake of it when AFAIK he was pretty universally loved These are the same showrunners who practically made Fish Mooney immortal despite people hating her.

• Locked thread