Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Been awhile since we had a WW2 thread in GBS.

THE AXIS GRENADE!!

THE ALLIED GRENADE!!

I admit I am not 100% sure on the second nade being accurate, but I googled it a bit and the pineapple came up.

Please feel free to discuss any WW2 issues, from tech, to politics, to religion, et cetera if applicable.

Also I'd like a 'why' answer as to which grenade is better not just a axis or allied answer!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
the prussian nades can be flung further but you can't eat them like the west coast ones.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the german grenade is better for tossing because of how you take advantage of angular momentum. I guess that can make it more accurate. However the american grenade is uh smaller I guess and easier to prime? I don't know, I think german grenades got primed by twisting off the bottom, which sounds more annoying to do that just pull a pin.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
in that one episode of band of brothers they used potato mashers to blow up the barrels of some howitzers, thus rendering the man who came back with TNT a dumb bad scrub instead of a cool good hero

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
it's hard to say. the masher has superior length for deep stimulation but the pineapple is ribbed. I think it entirely depends on what kind of butt play gets you off, op.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think the german grenade is better for tossing because of how you take advantage of angular momentum. I guess that can make it more accurate. However the american grenade is uh smaller I guess and easier to prime? I don't know, I think german grenades got primed by twisting off the bottom, which sounds more annoying to do that just pull a pin.

nah, the bottom was just a screw off cap, they were armed by pulling a bead on a string that was protected by the cap

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I say gently caress the Irish op

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
stop imposing your exposi-normative values on the grenades op

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

potato masher had longer range but on the flip side was less lethal than pineapple grenade since it didn't have a fragmentation effect.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

BigwigML posted:

it's hard to say. the masher has superior length for deep stimulation but the pineapple is ribbed. I think it entirely depends on what kind of butt play gets you off, op.

1. proper grip
2. thumb the clip
3. twist pull pin
4. sneak a peek
5. strike a pose
6. nade my neg rear end

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I think we can all agree that plasma grenades are much better than frag grenades in Halo

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the dildo one

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

the dildo one

Everything is a dildo if you're brave enough

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I wonder if zee Germans have a forum like SomethingAwful and their watermark is one of those potato mashers. Also because they're German the name of the forums is SomethingNormal.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
They're easier to tie a bunch together, they do that a few times in those sleazy Sven Hassel and Leo Kessler books

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

dont bother with this one unless your enemy is already half damaged you can pretty much just take one to the dome and be ok

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

dont bother with this one unless your enemy is already half damaged you can pretty much just take one to the dome and be ok

"grenade, delayed, hand, frag..." AAARRRRRGH WHO WRITES LIKE THAT???

edit: hah got the order wrong but STILL

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 20, 2015

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

the german one is the obvious choice when it comes to superior anal penetration

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
its not ribbed for his pleasure tho

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mr. Pumroy posted:

the german one is the obvious choice when it comes to superior anal penetration

:rolleyes:size queen

the us 'nade is ribbed for his pleasure.

XMNN posted:

its not ribbed for his pleasure tho

fuuuuck should've refreshed

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

etalian posted:

potato masher had longer range but on the flip side was less lethal than pineapple grenade since it didn't have a fragmentation effect.

The Model 24 and the effect but the later Model 43 stick grenade had fragmentation sleeves for defensive use. Seems kinda troublesome, but the Germans still like the idea of having modular grenades that can swap between defensive fragmentation grenades and purely-overpressure offensive grenades since the DM51 from the 1970s had a slip-on fragmentation sleeve.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

potato mashers are better aesthetically and kinesthetically but probably worse in other ways

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

aesthetics > *

take the lamborghini countach for example

who cares if its not as fast as some gay dumb dentists porche JUST loving LOOK AT IT

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Flavahbeast posted:

potato mashers are better aesthetically and kinesthetically but probably worse in other ways

bulk and weight?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Young Freud posted:

The Model 24 and the effect but the later Model 43 stick grenade had fragmentation sleeves for defensive use. Seems kinda troublesome, but the Germans still like the idea of having modular grenades that can swap between defensive fragmentation grenades and purely-overpressure offensive grenades since the DM51 from the 1970s had a slip-on fragmentation sleeve.

And I just spent a half hour reading all the wiki entries I could about grenades.

Pretty decent Sunday so far.

Titter
Jul 30, 2015

by Ralp

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
grenades are ineffective, so the smaller one would be better because it would annoy you less carrying it

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Young Freud posted:

what's the difference between an offensive and defensive grenade

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
German one is easier to throw but harder to stow. Most Americans know how to throw a vaguely baseball shaped object so the throwing advantage is slightly mitigated.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

Fragmentation grenades especially the old school ones could be just as deadly to the person who threw them since shrapnel could easily travel over 100 yards.

With a purely explosive grenade there's a lower risk of friendly fire.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Depends on your nationality. If sports like baseball or cricket are popular in your country, it was assumed you'd be familiar with throwing small spherical objects. If not, then you'd want a handle so you can fling it real far.

Nowadays all bets are probably off when it comes to young males being physically competent at an athletic sport. Good thing weapons have evolved in the "sitting on a fart-saturated chair and staring at a screen" direction. To kick our rear end in a war, you have to trick us into going outdoors.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Well here's another thought. If potato masher grenades were so great how come no modern army uses them? We drat sure stole everything else we thought was awesome: jet designs, rockets, Stg44, the m60 heavily borrows from the mg42, I think there's a European army LMG that looks exactly like a mg42. But nobody took the potato masher grenade?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

etalian posted:

Fragmentation grenades especially the old school ones could be just as deadly to the person who threw them since shrapnel could easily travel over 100 yards.

With a purely explosive grenade there's a lower risk of friendly fire.

Frags are designed to be used from behind some form of cover. As Etalian said, because there is a risk of injury to the user.

Concussion grenades, simple explosion, have much less shrapnel and can be used in a breaching situation. Such as tossing one into a enclosed room. The actual pressure wave will do damage and incapacitate anyone inside.

Flash Bangs, are used in a similar manner, but are even much less lethal. The bright flash of light stimulates all the receptors in the eyes and will cause temporary blindness. The bang part over pressures the fluid in your ears, causing disorientation and temporary deafness.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

Well here's another thought. If potato masher grenades were so great how come no modern army uses them? We drat sure stole everything else we thought was awesome: jet designs, rockets, Stg44, the m60 heavily borrows from the mg42, I think there's a European army LMG that looks exactly like a mg42. But nobody took the potato masher grenade?

Probably because they have downsides such as lower carrying capacity.

More modern grenades are also much lighter, while being just as lethal as WWII grenades.

Titter
Jul 30, 2015

by Ralp

Syd Midnight posted:

Good thing weapons have evolved in the "sitting on a fart-saturated chair and staring at a screen" direction.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

grenades are ineffective, so the smaller one would be better because it would annoy you less carrying it

listen up boys, general THE DOG HOUSE is about to tell us why grenades are retarded

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

The Germans and the Serbians never gave up the MG42, they just remade them in modern calibers. The Spanish even made a baby brother MG42 called the Ameli.

VendaGoat posted:

Frags are designed to be used from behind some form of cover. As Etalian said, because there is a risk of injury to the user.

Concussion grenades, simple explosion, have much less shrapnel and can be used in a breaching situation. Such as tossing one into a enclosed room. The actual pressure wave will do damage and incapacitate anyone inside.

Flash Bangs, are used in a similar manner, but are even much less lethal. The bright flash of light stimulates all the receptors in the eyes and will cause temporary blindness. The bang part over pressures the fluid in your ears, causing disorientation and temporary deafness.

It's pretty understated how quickly those blast waves dissipate. A grenade's overpressure wave falls off pretty dramatically, mostly because, while it's a high explosive, it's not a few a whole lot, just a few ounces. Within a half a meter, you can expect to be blown in half by the explosion, at a bit over a meter, the blast wave will seriously injury someone that they might need to stay in a hospital for a couple months, and at two meters, they only have the potential of getting their eardrums burst. That's why fragmentation is such a big deal. Even the U.S. Army knew this and made low explosive versions of their grenades with blank powder fillers, presumably as offensive-role grenades, which was enough to provide fragmentation but not enough to have it go past a certain radius.

Also, the weird thing about flash bangs or explosives in general is how their blast waves move. The peak pressure of a flash bang to a lethal grenade are pretty similar, however, the flash bang's shock front tends to hit slower, like a few microseconds less, and that's apparently enough to distribute the pressure across your body a way it's only disorienting and not fatal. It's not being splashed on you but poured onto you.

etalian posted:

Probably because they have downsides such as lower carrying capacity.

This. A shipping crate of potato mashers held about 15 of them. A comparable box of American Mk 2 "pineapple" grenades, which weighed as much as a potato masher, could carry 25 of them.

Also, I believe the stick in regards to throwing was overrated. It had a farther range in some cases, but not all cases. Like, you could get some range on it standing up and leaning into the throw, but, in a combat situation, when are you going to really have a opportunity like that when there's a bunch of automatic weapons fire incoming at your general position.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
If we're going by aesthetics the Italians managed to be royal cock-ups

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Sunshine Mix posted:

The lethality of tomato ragu sauce was deemed ineffective by the axis command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sunshine Mix posted:

Based on how it looks I'm going to guess that it doesn't function that well.

• Locked thread