Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Space-Pope posted:

lowtax, in a warehouse full of boxes, which contain "city name sports team" jerseys. he's sitting on one of the boxes, and just crying about his investment

i'd buy one tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
crowdsourced posts, have the community write our forum posts for us in exchange for reward tokens and social shareables

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
verified OS gang tags that give you access to exclusive forums to chat with fellow android / ios /beos users

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
i seriously can't comprehend what's so complex about the forums that we haven't been able to upgrade to something non poo poo, ever. put a load balancer in front of the forums, write a new version that talks to the same database master, drain traffic from one to the other over the course of a week or something. that's the front-end taken care of

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
and then, like, if you're not happy with the database schema, just shut the forums down for a week or something and migrate it. who cares? it's not a nuclear reactor, it's okay to take it offline and fix it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

also i should be able to win things by posting

ah, gamification. excellent. we can incentivize consumers to interact with their favorite brands in a way that provide sthem benefit (tangible winnings and a feeling of social inclusion) while simultaneously charging companies to represent their brands on the platform.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

horse mans posted:

and then, like, if you're not happy with the database schema, just shut the forums down for a week or something and migrate it. who cares? it's not a nuclear reactor, it's okay to take it offline and fix it

since lowtax is too cucked to let anyone with an actual software engineering background let alone a 4 year CS degree look at the internals of this website, we'll probably never know

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:gb2gbs:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
someone post the error log from the servers again

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

horse mans posted:

write a new version that talks to the same database master
radium was working on it but because everyone made fun of him and lowtax fired him now we'll never see titan

really we only have ourselves to blame

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

jony ive aces posted:

radium was working on it but because everyone made fun of him and lowtax fired him now we'll never see titan

really we only have ourselves to blame

well if it worked and he wrote it that would be a world's first soooooo

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

horse mans posted:

this would be even better if it just probated everyone for the downtime instead

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The site isn't down, you fucks are too terrible to post you see

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

horse mans posted:

i seriously can't comprehend what's so complex about the forums that we haven't been able to upgrade to something non poo poo, ever. put a load balancer in front of the forums, write a new version that talks to the same database master, drain traffic from one to the other over the course of a week or something. that's the front-end taken care of

writing a new version that reaches feature parity with the current one is hundreds of thousands of dollars in development effort, so you can forget that. modifying an existing forum is cheaper, but still several months of work.
the real solution is to teach lowtax to code, give him some pills to cure sad brain, and put him in a time machine back to 2000 so that instead of spending a decade and a half playing video games he could have finished this by now.

remember to warn them about 911 when you get there, lowtax

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

lowtax should have sprung for new forum software in ~2005 instead of saying "lol this forum is bad" and then doing nothing about it for a decade

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

also i honestly don't understand how he thinks gbs is good for the forums and not the thing that immediately drives away 95% of potential new users

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sweevo posted:

also i honestly don't understand how he thinks gbs is good for the forums and not the thing that immediately drives away 95% of potential new users

don't worry, the 5% it filters in are only the highest quality gbs posters

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742083

anyone got a link to lowtax talking about how he funds the forums?

it would be a real shame if this lovely website were to suddenly disappear

what's the internet without Something Awful?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry friends, there are contingencies in place

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sweevo posted:

what's so bad about gbs, anyway? i haven't been in there in ages

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

prefect posted:

what's so bad about gbs, anyway? i haven't been in there in ages
its just people posting weird racist poo poo and tired old memes over and over

but you cant tell them to stop, because then apparently youre part of the "gbs 1.0 illuminatisjw" group

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Sweevo posted:

that's why it is good for the forums honestly

people need to know what they're in for

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

most important, an API developers can use to make things like Awful.app and their EVE clans better

bookmarking threads and flipping between them should be really easy.

web sockets for real time notifications about stuff.

an easy way to see all replies to a single post (such as a "BB view" and "nested view", or simple a "jump to replies" drop down)

maybe if an image is too wide it shouldn't break the frames

anyway i'll just make it

i've come pretty close to just writing Something Awful as a Service (SAaaS) for awful.app poo poo more than once. if anything i'm actually worried that if it made the server load drop enough it might make lowtax just give up :ohdear:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ther forums software/backend thouugh... how is it holding anything back? from the user perspective I dont really "get" the problem, unless we want it to do more than it is currecently but can';t...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in fac.t.... we need less features

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
one button forum

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I posted from the actual website recently for the first time in months and was shocked at how terrible it is. awful.app makes it 1000 times better and they should really just abandon the html front end for a web api.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
awful.app is garbage

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

awful.app is garbage

The Management posted:

awful.app makes it 1000 times better

not mutually exclusive

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
i wrote an sa app. the smilies are cached locally and images can be turned off which works well in my 3rd world country. includes a pretty good saforums parser

FamDav posted:

since lowtax is too cucked to let anyone with an actual software engineering background let alone a 4 year CS degree look at the internals of this website, we'll probably never know

wonder if the passwords are hashed. pretty sure metafilter still stores them unhashed

sa is a read heavy site that primarily needs a good cache layer that can be pushed to CDNs. so thats a question of serialization (eg data dependency graphs)

to model that you'd need a graph of the forums/threads/comments/users, and then triggers to update the serialization

then have a client library that other apps can build upon

as far as migration i don't see any need to take the site down for this -- you'd probably run it in parallel on a subdomain w/ access to the same db

i'll start the pwiki

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 27, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna store the entire site in MongoDB

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what's so bad abou the website?? seriously every other forums I ever go on is harder to read, and posting here is easy and simple

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

from a user perspective the forum is mostly fine (search excluded of course). i think the problem is that all the backend stuff is such a shitfest that when something breaks lowtax has to pay someone to fix it, and i bet many of those billable hours are just the tech guy trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on and why something that should be a simple job is done by fifteen different scripts spread over five servers, none with any error checking, and which provide helpful error messages like "someone has stolen all your trees"

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i really want to see what kind of state the backend of sa is in, i have a morbid curiosity

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

lowtax give me read only access to the servers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
why doesn't he just offer goons perks for server maintenance

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

would /you/ trust a goon?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
ban irony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker