Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

GNU Order posted:

FUN THREAD CHALLENGE #2

Jimmy Clausen went 9/17. Who did he throw to?

4 for 15 yards - ???
3 for 17 yards - ???
1 for 21 yards - ???
1 for 10 yards - ???

e- you are welcome to play this game if you watched the game, I got the first two and got one of the single reception names but for the wrong yardage

Uhhhh

Forte
Bennett
Royal
Fuckin, jacquizz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

TubeStank posted:

the bears arent' making GBS threads the bed. the bears are playing pretty much as advertised. their defense is a tire fire converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with nobody in the secondary. their offense currently is comprised of matt forte running into other players while wishing to be on literally any other team in the nfl. they have no special teams and have given up two (2) kick returns for touchdowns so far this year. the bears are literally the worst team in the league. the bucs have, somehow, a slightly stronger roster.

I think he meant the other teams making GBS threads the bed

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

TubeStank posted:

the bears arent' making GBS threads the bed. the bears are playing pretty much as advertised. their defense is a tire fire converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with nobody in the secondary. their offense currently is comprised of matt forte running into other players while wishing to be on literally any other team in the nfl. they have no special teams and have given up two (2) kick returns for touchdowns so far this year. the bears are literally the worst team in the league. the bucs have, somehow, a slightly stronger roster.

I'm not talking about the bears making GBS threads the bed I'm talking about the other teams. Teams don't just play the same week in and week out. As bad as the bears look there are plenty of teams capable of losing to them. They might be the worst but worst doesn't mean "cannot win against x team because x team is better".

This Bears team is absolutely a candidate for 0-16, I am just saying they will have to earn it because all of these teams I mentioned are capable of playing bad enough to lose to them.

In 1999 the eventual AFC champion Tennessee Titans, a 13-3 team, was blown out by the eventual 8-8 Ravens by a score of 41-14. The final scores of games don't always reflect how "good" a team is.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

old dog child posted:

I think he meant the other teams making GBS threads the bed

right. we haven't seen the bears poo poo the bed yet is what i'm saying.

also

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

GNU Order posted:

FUN THREAD CHALLENGE #2

Jimmy Clausen went 9/17. Who did he throw to?

4 for 15 yards - ???
3 for 17 yards - ???
1 for 21 yards - ???
1 for 10 yards - ???

e- you are welcome to play this game if you watched the game, I got the first two and got one of the single reception names but for the wrong yardage

The 1 for 21 is Zach Miller, because I saw him get a lengthy catch and I thought "oh hey that's where he went".

In order I'm guessing Forte, Bennett, Miller, Jacquizz. No receivers caught a ball from what I remember.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

You know when you play a Madden game for long enough that you reach the point where the league where your team has more randomly-generated fake players than actual NFL players?

That is what happened to the Bears roster in one season

What the gently caress is a Josh Bellamy?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Despite some recent, promising seasons, the Bears are clearly still one of the worst teams in the NFC, if not the NFL. It's almost that if, despite ample and regular changes, the Bears still suck.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Why is the Bears' roster so empty of talent?

Cheap ownership/bad GM/what?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

shiksa posted:

Uhhhh

Forte
Bennett
Royal
Fuckin, jacquizz?

Prozach posted:

The 1 for 21 is Zach Miller, because I saw him get a lengthy catch and I thought "oh hey that's where he went".

In order I'm guessing Forte, Bennett, Miller, Jacquizz. No receivers caught a ball from what I remember.

Thanks for playing, you're both quite close

The correct order is

Martellus Bennett
Eddie Royal
Zach Miller
Jacquizz Rodgers (the name I didn't get)

Assuming that Forte should be a part of our passing game is correct, but that would be too easy to try

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Crow_Robot posted:

"The McCaskeys are cheap!" is tired old bullshit. It has purely been bad GMs. The Bears drafts the last decade have been awful. The only team competing for the bad drafting crown over that time span is the Jaguars.

Edit: Fixing the Bears roster is going to take at least three years of quality drafting. This is not going to be a quick turn around.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 28, 2015

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Crow_Robot posted:

The 2 prior GMs were terrible picks by the owners, who are chucklefucks who don't know how to run a football team. This last off season they hired Ernie Acorsi as a consultant to help them pick a competent GM and got Ryan Pace, but they're still suffering through years of lovely drafting and over reliance on free agents.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
including a punt the bears only ran 3 offensive plays in seahawks territory.

granted the seahawks got a lucky call on the fumble but still.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Also, as far as I know Cutler isn't done for the year. He might not be a great QB but he is good for a few wins. If he plays a decent number of games this year they will probably win at least one.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Crow_Robot posted:

Well, their first round pick is the guy who was to replace Brandon Marshall who they shipped out, but he's injured.

Looking at (relevant) players from their drafts:

2014:
1- CB Kyle Fuller
2- DT Ego Ferguson
3- DT Will Sutton
4- CB BRock Vereen

2013:
1- G Kyle Long
2- LB JOnathan Bostic
4- LB Khaseem Greene

2012:
1- DE Shea McCLellin
2- WR ALshon Jeffery
3- DB Brandon Hardin
4- TE Evan Rodriguez

2011:
1- T Gabe Carimi
2- DT Stephen Paea
3- DB Chris Conte

2010:
3- DB Major Wright
4- DE Corey Wootton

2009:
3- DT Jarron Gilbert
3- WR Juaquin Iglesias
4- DE Henry Melton
4- DB DJ MOore

So this should be the core of their team. 2009 and 10 first rounders were for Jay Cutler, which makes sense.

And I don't recognize a lot of these guys (which tells you a lot right there), and basically it looks like they've thrown a ton of picks at trying to fix their OL, DL and secondary and not really hit on anywhere enough of those guys.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
None of those dudes from 2009, 2010, or 2011 are on the team anymore. Of the the latter three years, only Long and Jeffery look like NFL players. Of those two players, one is changing positions and the other is perpetually injured. To say they have a dearth of talent is an understatement.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Crow_Robot posted:

ALLOW ME to take you back to the halcyon days of the Lovie Smith era, where our humble story begins. Riding high were the Chicago Bears of 2006, a year in which the Sex Cannon Rex Grossman and Kyle "Jack Daniels" Orton took tips from third string QB Greasy Brian Griese. The defense was riding high, the offense was a trash fire who managed to be strung along by a team who are who we THOUGHT they were. But we let them off the hook. Lovie has always taken a cavalier approach to the NFL draft, and it was pretty clear that he got his way, and had some freedom to do whatever he wanted with the mid/late picks. You had your Al Afalavas (sp), your DJ Moore's, your [Insert 3rd round defensive player drafted to play Special Teams kick coverage here]. The Bears had a strong backbone of talent on defense, a disregard for searching for talent on offense (outside of Matt Forte, who they kinda lucked into), and Jerry Angelo, the GM in name but not in role, had a penchant for striking out on DL/OL prospects (hello Chris Williams).

The Cutler trade was certainly an un-Bearslike move (making a big, risky trade), and also cost us most of the 2010 draft. Talented veterans kept dropping like flies, Urlacher was no longer there to carry the chains out onto the field (nobody acutally wanted to make their own chain since this isn't High School so Urlacher got the water boys to make chains for him (this story is made up)) and Lovie remained unconcerned with even trying to draft skill position players. Why bother, he thought to himself as he was shown the door.

Phil Emery and Trestman marked a transition for the Bears. The roster was suffering. The 2006 team was all old and bad. Cutler was stupid and dumb and weak and we hated him (not we as in me but we as in chicagoans). But here, we had two nerds. Dudes who knew what DVOA was, and weren't afraid to reference it to show off their chops. One of them looked like a sex offender. We didn't care. We wanted a change. Two mavericks who would shake up the system, rebuild the roster, and drag the dated Chicago mentality forward from the treadmill of 1985 Superbowl Shufflin Bears where defense wins championships and passing is for fancyboys. Their first move was to draft a 3/4 tweener OLB from Boise State, Alshon Jeffery (who owns and is good) and a bunch of dudes who did not last more than one season. The next draft was equally horrendous (Kyle Long is the only player worth mentioning) and 2014 is looking like a skinker of a draft, as Ego Ferguson and Kyle Fuller are the only names you will hear on a sunday, usually followed by the words "aren't very good".

Is 9 years of bad drafting enough to take a team from NFC North/Super Bowl contenders to the worst team in the NFL? Some might argue yes. Others might argue that there can be value in the Free Agency, wheeling and dealing to try to find your guys. The Bears have never been about that life, as Pernell McPhee represented the biggest free agent signing since we picked up Lester "Lefty" Wallack in '48. Nah, that's not totally true, in fact most of the top players on the Bears have been acquired through FA or trades. Cutler, Martellus Bennett, Left Tackle Jermon Bushrod (who was good before we got our hands on him, system LT????), Jared Allen (who rates high on the grit level which maeks him good in my eyes) Jay/Jeremiah Ratliff who would be a solid contributor on a team which didn't suck hard, and others along the way who have since left (Tim Jennings for a little while, Julius Peppers, uh fuckin Garza was a free agent signing i think). The point is this list should be longer, and is longer for any other team.

The Bears do not have good players. They're not good at drafting good players. They're not good at acquiring, or keeping good players. Most importantly, they're not good at developing the players they get, especially the young ones. The team has been a nosedive since the mid 2000's and, despite all of us back in the coach seats screaming up to the pilot to start the course correction, he maintains that things are OK as he tries to stick that fucker right into the Hudson river. That poo poo ain't easy.

RIP Jason McKie

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

GNU Order posted:

ALLOW ME to take you back to the halcyon days of the Lovie Smith era, where our humble story begins. Riding high were the Chicago Bears of 2006, a year in which the Sex Cannon Rex Grossman and Kyle "Jack Daniels" Orton took tips from third string QB Greasy Brian Griese. The defense was riding high, the offense was a trash fire who managed to be strung along by a team who are who we THOUGHT they were. But we let them off the hook. Lovie has always taken a cavalier approach to the NFL draft, and it was pretty clear that he got his way, and had some freedom to do whatever he wanted with the mid/late picks. You had your Al Afalavas (sp), your DJ Moore's, your [Insert 3rd round defensive player drafted to play Special Teams kick coverage here]. The Bears had a strong backbone of talent on defense, a disregard for searching for talent on offense (outside of Matt Forte, who they kinda lucked into), and Jerry Angelo, the GM in name but not in role, had a penchant for striking out on DL/OL prospects (hello Chris Williams).

The Cutler trade was certainly an un-Bearslike move (making a big, risky trade), and also cost us most of the 2010 draft. Talented veterans kept dropping like flies, Urlacher was no longer there to carry the chains out onto the field (nobody acutally wanted to make their own chain since this isn't High School so Urlacher got the water boys to make chains for him (this story is made up)) and Lovie remained unconcerned with even trying to draft skill position players. Why bother, he thought to himself as he was shown the door.

Phil Emery and Trestman marked a transition for the Bears. The roster was suffering. The 2006 team was all old and bad. Cutler was stupid and dumb and weak and we hated him (not we as in me but we as in chicagoans). But here, we had two nerds. Dudes who knew what DVOA was, and weren't afraid to reference it to show off their chops. One of them looked like a sex offender. We didn't care. We wanted a change. Two mavericks who would shake up the system, rebuild the roster, and drag the dated Chicago mentality forward from the treadmill of 1985 Superbowl Shufflin Bears where defense wins championships and passing is for fancyboys. Their first move was to draft a 3/4 tweener OLB from Boise State, Alshon Jeffery (who owns and is good) and a bunch of dudes who did not last more than one season. The next draft was equally horrendous (Kyle Long is the only player worth mentioning) and 2014 is looking like a skinker of a draft, as Ego Ferguson and Kyle Fuller are the only names you will hear on a sunday, usually followed by the words "aren't very good".

Is 9 years of bad drafting enough to take a team from NFC North/Super Bowl contenders to the worst team in the NFL? Some might argue yes. Others might argue that there can be value in the Free Agency, wheeling and dealing to try to find your guys. The Bears have never been about that life, as Pernell McPhee represented the biggest free agent signing since we picked up Lester "Lefty" Wallack in '48. Nah, that's not totally true, in fact most of the top players on the Bears have been acquired through FA or trades. Cutler, Martellus Bennett, Left Tackle Jermon Bushrod (who was good before we got our hands on him, system LT????), Jared Allen (who rates high on the grit level which maeks him good in my eyes) Jay/Jeremiah Ratliff who would be a solid contributor on a team which didn't suck hard, and others along the way who have since left (Tim Jennings for a little while, Julius Peppers, uh fuckin Garza was a free agent signing i think). The point is this list should be longer, and is longer for any other team.

The Bears do not have good players. They're not good at drafting good players. They're not good at acquiring, or keeping good players. Most importantly, they're not good at developing the players they get, especially the young ones. The team has been a nosedive since the mid 2000's and, despite all of us back in the coach seats screaming up to the pilot to start the course correction, he maintains that things are OK as he tries to stick that fucker right into the Hudson river. That poo poo ain't easy.

RIP Jason McKie

Amen

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

GNU Order posted:

FUN THREAD CHALLENGE

try to name a single player on the bears defense without looking it up

I watched the first half of the game and I couldn't do it until I read other answers here

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

GNU Order posted:

FUN THREAD CHALLENGE

Kyle "Stupid Lardass" Fuller and Alan "Sucks at" Ball

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GNU Order posted:

FUN THREAD CHALLENGE

bostick or something like that? linebacker who's been in the league for maybe 2 years now?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

TubeStank posted:

washington is the first winnable game for the bears imo

The bears will beat the rams

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Volkerball posted:

bostick or something like that? linebacker who's been in the league for maybe 2 years now?

I suppose Jon Bostic is technically on the roster, but he is always injured.

js86
Jul 22, 2012

Tavarin posted:

I suppose Jon Bostic is technically on the roster, but he is always injured.

That's for the better. When he's in, he usually misplays running plays and is out of position on passing plays. Other than that, he's pretty good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Metapod posted:

The bears will beat the rams

I dunno, the bears being a team of literal retards and the oakland defense being retarded might mean it's close.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BlindSite posted:

I dunno, the bears being a team of literal retards and the oakland defense being retarded might mean it's close.

The Raiders defense is bad, but I can't see the Bears offense scoring 49 points on them, which is probably what it's going to take.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
Let me just say that today was my grandfather's wake, and my father was more depressed about the awful state of the bears during the game than he was about the fact that his father had passed away.

Chicago fans are in for a rough couple of years.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Volkerball would you rather have Carr+Cooper or Teddy+Leonard?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

If it was me drafting at the time, we'd have Teddy and Leonard, but in hindsight I'm pretty happy with what we've got. I was 100% in on Cooper until Williams fell and then I was kind of iffy on him, but he's way better than I expected. He's 2nd in NFL history in yards per game receiving as a rookie, and if you take out ODB's crazy season, he's 1st by a mile. That's ridiculous. And Carr has outperformed Bridgewater so far.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Blitz7x posted:

This isn't even close.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

Out of curiosity in this hypothetical world would the Raiders still have mack if they got teddy?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Metapod posted:

Out of curiosity in this hypothetical world would the Raiders still have mack if they got teddy?

Yes. The real opportunity to have gotten Teddy was when the tradeup with the Seahawks was happening.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Volkerball posted:

Yes. The real opportunity to have gotten Teddy was when the tradeup with the Seahawks was happening.

What did it cost the vikings?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

warcrimes posted:

What did it cost the vikings?

A 4th. It would've cost the Raiders the pick they used on Jelly.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Lions, Bitch!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This is the best year of football ever.

I'm literally feeling almost nothing.

No anger, sadness, only emotion is being amused at Jimmy Clausen Starting QB.

I have/had so few expectations for this team, that them not getting 50 put up against them counts as a win in my book.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

hahaha, the Bears aren't going to go 0-16. They are really bad but not 0 wins bad. Keep in mind they still have 2 games each against the Vikings and Lions.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Lions are gonna start 0-5

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

beejay posted:

hahaha, the Bears aren't going to go 0-16. They are really bad but not 0 wins bad. Keep in mind they still have 2 games each against the Vikings and Lions.

Vikings are actually decent, the Lions games will be shitshows tho.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dexo posted:

This is the best year of football ever.

I'm literally feeling almost nothing.

No anger, sadness, only emotion is being amused at Jimmy Clausen Starting QBa Jim Caldwell-led coaching staff.

I have/had so few expectations for this team, that them not getting 50 put up against them counts as a win in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is there a worse roster in the NFL than the Bears?

• Locked thread