Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bears are going to end up with a McCown next season. Off-season is looking pretty McCownish.

Ponder is looking for a new gig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I hope the Bears draft a guy and sit him behind Cutler for a year to benefit from his veteran leadership.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

R.D. Mangles posted:

I hope the Bears draft a guy and sit him behind Cutler for a year to benefit from his veteran leadership.

Jay Cutler and rookie staring out into the stands as a mob of Chicagoans look at their phones and occiasionally look up to boo and shout obscenities, unaware of what's actually going on onfield but filled with the desire to boo

"A Quarterback's time as ruler rises and falls like the sun. One day, Rookie, the sun will set on my time here, and will rise with you as the new Quarterback."
"And this'll all be mine?"
"Everything. The undeserved self-entitled fanbase. The meathead, moustachioed, stuck-in-85 drunkard, the big-market media scrutiny, the godawful field conditions, the vortex of wind and snow that settles in off the lakeshore, and the inability to do anything about it"
"gently caress"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rookie: Hi I'm Christian Hackenberg. I'm a huge fan and I'm hoping I can pick your brain and talk about seeing defenses and throwing backbreaking interceptions at the pro level.

Cutler: (Texts)

Rookie: You know I've been looking at the playbook all summer, but Coach Fox said there's some concepts here that I should ask you about. Got a few moments to go over things?

Cutler: (Continues texting)

Rookie: What was it like adjusting to the speed of the game as a rookie over in Denver? I've heard that something--

Cutler: (Cuts him off). Here, this is everything you need. (Hands him phone and walks away.)

Rookie: (Looks at the phone. It is a series of text messages to a guy named Steubs that is just the sentence "who is this rear end in a top hat" typed over and over again)

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Rookie: (Looks at the phone. It is a series of text messages to a guy named Steubs that is just the sentence "what the gently caress is small pox and why does my kid have it" typed over and over again)

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Rookie: What about that shadowy place?

Cutler: That's the Super Bowl, you will never go there.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Brother Bear was sitting right there, you doofuses. :mad:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Jay Cutler is the QB that Bears fans deserve.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Dexo posted:

Jay Cutler is the QB that Bears fans deserve.

but tim tebow is the one that they need right now

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Raku posted:

but tim tebow is the one that they need right now

Tim Tebow low key would have been an amazing QB to have with the offense they decided to run this past game.

The Bears literally ran the Wildcat on Sunday.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Dexo posted:

Tim Tebow low key would have been an amazing QB to have with the offense they decided to run this past game.

The Bears literally ran the Wildcat on Sunday.

Yeah, if they weren't going to throw more than 15 times anyway, at least have a guy who can run for a first. Instead, we have a guy that slides after 2 yards and pops up to talk poo poo to their D-line.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bears are going to end up with a McCown next season. Off-season is looking pretty McCownish.

Are you sure you don't mean a McNown? It's easy to get them mixed up.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
In one of my seminars my instructor explained Hakluyt's motivation for compiling Voyages by comparing the state of the British Empire to the Bears. That's how bad the Bears are. English professors are taking shots at them in graduate seminars.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The sad thing is that in 30 years Cutler is still going to be in the conversation for the best QB in Bears history.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Paragon8 posted:

The sad thing is that in 30 years Cutler is still going to be in the conversation for the best QB in Bears history.
He's already the best QB in Bears history.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

JT Jag posted:

He's already the best QB in Bears history.

Sid Luckman

I know it's a million years ago, but in his era he was the best, and Cutler's never been top five (even if there are a lot more teams)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Nail Rat posted:

Sid Luckman

I know it's a million years ago, but in his era he was the best, and Cutler's never been top five (even if there are a lot more teams)
Quarterback play has fundamentally improved since then though. Luckman might have been the best quarterback in the 40s, but I'd argue either of the McCown brothers are better quarterbacks.

It's like comparing the deadball era to modern pitching, you really just can't.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

JT Jag posted:

Quarterback play has fundamentally improved since then though. Luckman might have been the best quarterback in the 40s, but I'd argue either of the McCown brothers are better quarterbacks.

It's like comparing the deadball era to modern pitching, you really just can't.

Well yeah, but in terms of "greatest Chicago Bears quarterback", he was the best of his era, 5-time first-team All-Pro and led them to four championships.

Walter Payton might not have been that special in today's NFL(and none of the 85 Bears defense guys would have, for sure), but they're not going to start listing Matt Forte as the greatest Bears running back of all time.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Cutler has bigger numbers but in terms of impact? No way. He is easily the best Bears QB since Luckman, though.

Nail Rat posted:

Walter Payton might not have been that special in today's NFL(and none of the 85 Bears defense guys would have, for sure), but they're not going to start listing Matt Forte as the greatest Bears running back of all time.
I don't know, man. Some guys I feel like, they could play in any era. Sweetness is one of those guys.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Fenrir posted:

I don't know, man. Some guys I feel like, they could play in any era. Sweetness is one of those guys.

Possibly, you could be right. That's why I said "might not have been that special" instead of "wouldn't have been." I just have to wonder with how much stronger and faster every defender is if he'd be less effective. If you could bring the 85 Bears defense through a time machine to 2015, you'd probably rather have the scrubs the Bears have now. But who knows.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Sid Luckman went to Columbia, winner of one bowl game and one Ivy League championship in its 145-year history.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Nail Rat posted:

Possibly, you could be right. That's why I said "might not have been that special" instead of "wouldn't have been." I just have to wonder with how much stronger and faster every defender is if he'd be less effective. If you could bring the 85 Bears defense through a time machine to 2015, you'd probably rather have the scrubs the Bears have now. But who knows.

Those guys were products of their times, though. Luckman could have been one of the greats if he was born today because he'd have modern training techniques, not eating 5 packs of cigs and a fifth of JD a day for a part time job after spending four years fighting in the Pacific.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nail Rat posted:

Right, but if Payton was 23 and alive right now, with his raw athleticism and vision combined with modern athletics... poo poo dude. Imagine a less physical but more shifty peak Adrian Peterson.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

warcrimes posted:

Those guys were products of their times, though. Luckman could have been one of the greats if he was born today because he'd have modern training techniques, not eating 5 packs of cigs and a fifth of JD a day for a part time job after spending four years fighting in the Pacific.

quote:

Right, but if Payton was 23 and alive right now, with his raw athleticism and vision combined with modern athletics... poo poo dude. Imagine a less physical but more shifty peak Adrian Peterson.

Exactly, which is why I'm saying you have to judge them for the success they had in their era, not who would be the best nowadays. The answer to the second is almost invariably the player with the latest training techniques, most advanced diet, etc.

i.e., Luckman and Payton are the best QB and RB in Bears history, regardless of whether they'd be successful in this era on paper.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Nail Rat posted:

Exactly, which is why I'm saying you have to judge them for the success they had in their era, not who would be the best nowadays. The answer to the second is almost invariably the player with the latest training techniques, most advanced diet, etc.

i.e., Luckman and Payton are the best QB and RB in Bears history, regardless of whether they'd be successful in this era on paper.

yeah, we're in total agreement but I've seen TFF basically discount anyone before certain dates because they don't measure up to today's athlete. Hell, you did it right here-

Nail Rat posted:

Walter Payton might not have been that special in today's NFL(and none of the 85 Bears defense guys would have, for sure)

We don't know that.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Well, today's athlete is definitely bigger, stronger and faster. But if you take some of those guys who were superior athletes back in the day, and transpose them into now, I bet you'd still get elite results.

For example, imagine Bo Jackson born in 1990. Without that necrotic hip thing. He'd destroy the NFL.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fenrir posted:

Well, today's athlete is definitely bigger, stronger and faster. But if you take some of those guys who were superior athletes back in the day, and transpose them into now, I bet you'd still get elite results.

For example, imagine Bo Jackson born in 1990. Without that necrotic hip thing. He'd destroy the NFL.

Bo Jackson did destroy the NFL, he was basically a genetic freak. One tackle destroyed that, but that's really what happens in the NFL. The NFL has always been dominated by people with absurd natural ability in the modern era (which I would include the 80's in), especially at positions like RB where natural ability is a huge part of it. It's not really like QB where a lot of it has to be taught early on by someone who knows what he's talking about.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You have to measure players relative to their era. Jim Otto was 6'2" 250, but he's still the greatest center of all time because of the impact he had on the game. 50 years from now, when they look back at Tom Brady, given the Super Bowls, the pro bowls, and all the other accolades, he'll be a cheater then just like he is now.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

McCownball best ball

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

At this rate McCown will have played for every NFL team by mid October.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

We have to hope McDaniels gets a HC nod and drives their incumbent starter away again.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

haljordan posted:

At this rate McCown will have played for every NFL team by mid October.

There's a Third McCown

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

If you brought Vince Lombardi back, in three seasons he would begin winning divisions titles.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Darth Brooks posted:

If you brought Vince Lombardi back, in three seasons he would begin winning divisions titles.

Imagine if you replaced Philbin with Zombie Lombardi

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

warcrimes posted:

poo poo, Kyle Orton does that and he turned out OK.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

did they ever check the PSI on that ball

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Ya know, I've never actually blamed Brady or the Pats for this, it was a lovely interpretation of a bad rule, all on the loving refs.

js86
Jul 22, 2012
Meanwhile in Baltimore, Marc Trestman is doing to Joe Flacco what he did to Jay Cutler. That man really is a QB guru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

js86 posted:

Meanwhile in Baltimore, Marc Trestman is doing to Joe Flacco what he did to Jay Cutler. That man really is a QB guru.

he is if you are A McCown

• Locked thread