Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Robot Anime feels derivative and referential to the point its incestuous, but I haven't seen tons of it so that's just my two cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
You know what's nigh-impossible to find? A mecha show where the mecha don't fly or get a flight upgrade halfway through.

For a genre built around big stompy metal men hardly any mecha actually use their legs.

I can't name ten shows that do it. The few that do it are great though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I would say it's the difference between genre fiction and literary fiction, though that's not to say there aren't outstanding works within genre fiction or that it's wrong to like it, but the distinction is useful and exists for a reason. robot anime is one type of genre fiction, which means that it's more likely than the anime equivalent of literary fiction (the tatami galaxy? idk?? i don't really follow anime much anymore) to simply be a derivative work that isn't interested in being more than what it is. I would say this is shows like Buddy Complex, Argevollen, Vulvashave the Labiarazor, etc

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Robot Anime feels derivative and referential to the point its incestuous, but I haven't seen tons of it so that's just my two cents.

It gets weird in that regard though I do enjoy it when they come up with new takes on well traveled roads.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sharkopath posted:

Yes I'd say this is a major problem with the genre (and not just this genre, anything else that falls into the kind of genre/literary divide that i mentioned before) and it's almost historical. It's strange when even shows that are, nominally, not toy commercials, still find themselves hitting the same pitholes that the Literal Actual Toy Commercials did, and it's because it's what the creators and producers grew up with and it's like a negative feedback loop. A rock being run smooth of all its intricacies and differentiating qualities by a river current.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

Also I am only human, and will admit that while seeing people driven mad when 2 Gundams were airing at the same time was kinda amusing, it did in some ways break my spirit.

I still enjoy a lot of the genre tho.

I emerged from that fire loving robot anime even more

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Reds posted:

You know what's nigh-impossible to find? A mecha show where the mecha don't fly or get a flight upgrade halfway through.

For a genre built around big stompy metal men hardly any mecha actually use their legs.

Hmm

Votoms
Xabungle
Patlabor (Not counting that one mech in the tv series but it was intentionally ridiculous compared to what they had)
Galient
Dougram
Broken Blade maybe? (I only saw a few of those movies, not all of them)
Argevollen (lack of air travel was actually a factor for that show too)

I am sure there are a few I'm missing that could make 10

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I still wish the lambda driver had been less prevalent in FMP...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

Hmm

Votoms
Xabungle
Patlabor (Not counting that one mech in the tv series but it was intentionally ridiculous compared to what they had)
Galient
Dougram

Big O!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Reds posted:

Argevollen, The Big O, M3, Nobunaga the Fool (iirc), Basquash, Gad Guard, Dai-Guard, Xabungle if you don't count some of the component vehicles being able to fly, Zoids if you don't count the obvious bird/pterodactyls, and Evangelion if you don't count Rebuild. There's probably tons more, though admittedly probably mostly in the 80s and 90s.

There's also bunches of OVAs but it's cheating since the ones I think of are a single episode lol.

Not even counting things that go into space because that's basically the same thing as flying!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's been awhile since I watched it, but I think only one robot in Gun x Sword could fly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zoids are the coolest robots and I would definitely watch a new series that will never happen.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

Gundam 0080
Gundam 08th MS Team
VOTOMS
Mellowlink
Turn A Gundam (right? I think the Turn A technically could fly with it's radiator legs, but almost never did)
Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy
Flag
Blue Gender
Dougram

uhhhh does it count if only one robot can fly and that's a specific power it has to differentiate it from the other robots? In that case, Gundam X

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Deathsaurer is strongest!!

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Srice posted:

Hmm

Votoms
Xabungle
Galient
Dougram

Escaflowne, M3, a couple of others that are escaping me.

The point is, I shouldn't have to struggle to reach ten or so.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gyra_Solune posted:

Argevollen, The Big O, M3, Nobunaga the Fool (iirc), Basquash, Gad Guard, Dai-Guard, Xabungle if you don't count some of the component vehicles being able to fly, Zoids if you don't count the obvious bird/pterodactyls, and Evangelion if you don't count Rebuild.

There's also bunches of OVAs but it's cheating since the ones I think of are a single episode lol.

Dai Guard got a upgrade towards the end that let it turn into three Getter style planes

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I really liked Gasaraki

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

Dai Guard got a upgrade towards the end that let it turn into three Getter style planes

That's not really flight though since they aren't in humanoid form.

Otherwise you'd have to disqualify stuff like FMP for having flight packs for travel.

Anyway, the point is it's a vast minority.

Reds fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 27, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Escaflowne had robots that could fly

e: oh, not if alternate forms don't count i guess

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How do we get our multimillion murdermachines to the battlefield? strap an f14 to it and load up on amraams and sidewinders

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dogsicle posted:

Escaflowne had robots that could fly

e: oh, not if alternate forms don't count i guess

Transformed into dragons that could fly :black101:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

That's not really flight though since they aren't in humanoid form.

Otherwise you'd have to disqualify stuff like FMP for having flight packs for travel.

in that case what about transforming stuff like Macross or Zeta Gundam?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

Yes I'd say this is a major problem with the genre (and not just this genre, anything else that falls into the kind of genre/literary divide that i mentioned before) and it's almost historical. It's strange when even shows that are, nominally, not toy commercials, still find themselves hitting the same pitholes that the Literal Actual Toy Commercials did, and it's because it's what the creators and producers grew up with and it's like a negative feedback loop. A rock being run smooth of all its intricacies and differentiating qualities by a river current.

I'd really like to see a show that brings on talent that haven't been involved in mecha shows, it would be neat to see what happens.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

muike posted:

I really liked Gasaraki

I was just thinking of that in context of the "no flying" question, but then I couldn't remember whether the opposing force mechs got flight packs.

Anyway, I liked parts of Gasaraki a lot and disliked parts of it just as strongly, so it's a mixed bag for me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I can imagine it now, a Shinbo-directed mecha show.

The robot is doing the backwards head tilt...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Transformed into dragons that could fly :black101:

That and the regular Guymelefs flew when all compacted. Didn't the cat assassins have flying robots too?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

I'd really like to see a show that brings on talent that haven't been involved in mecha shows, it would be neat to see what happens.

Iron Blooded Orphans starts in like, a week.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Iron Blooded Orphans starts in like, a week.

There are a decent number of examples of shows that had directors that hadn't been involved with the genre much though they'd have writers that have been. Star Driver is one that comes to my mind.

Mari Okada has a few different mecha shows to her name, though I did enjoy Evol so I am looking forward to it.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

in that case what about transforming stuff like Macross or Zeta Gundam?

Well the Zeta's alt form is mostly for travel and isn't used terribly often in combat if I recall correctly, while the other MS with alt forms used theirs a bit more actively because they were designed to be more combat-ready in those forms.

Macross is three quarters jet, one quarter mecha. It's not a mecha that transforms into a jet, it's a jet that transforms into a mecha. Macross is jets first, mecha later.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Also, Gundam Origin and 0083. no flight or mid season flight upgrades.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
look at this noob that doesn't know amuro can make the gundam fly

amuro: it's really more like jumping

me: TOBE GUNDAM

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

Also, Gundam Origin and 0083. no flight or mid season flight upgrades.

I tend to not include Gundam in the "no flight" category because they take place primarily in space which is effectively similar. Space is really boring for combat for the same reason as flight: there's no environmental interaction beyond a few random asteroids. When you're on the ground you have the restriction of what-goes-up-must-come-down and have to take the environment into account.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dogsicle posted:

That and the regular Guymelefs flew when all compacted. Didn't the cat assassins have flying robots too?

Yeah, they did, they looked like spikier, nastier versions of the normal Guymelefs if I remember correctly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also besides IBO I think I have also reached a point in Aquarion Logos where I am genuinely liking it, so I'll have that to watch next season as well.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
you can't really count Gundam because basically all of those mechs ever are designed primarily to work in space and the legs are some scientific thing for inertial control that just happen to work okay at stomping about on land

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Season 1 of code geass was great for urban combat. rollerskates, grappling hooks, and robots that were so small you had to put the cockpit on the back

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I would not call it amazing by any means but it's kinda neat how it feels like a modernized take on a 70s super robot show.

The fights are mostly dull but I like the characters, and also there was an episode where Aquarion turned into a rabbit.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

I tend to not include Gundam in the "no flight" category because they take place primarily in space which is effectively similar. Space is really boring for combat for the same reason as flight: there's no environmental interaction beyond a few random asteroids. When you're on the ground you have the restriction of what-goes-up-must-come-down and have to take the environment into account.

Man you should read Gundam Thunderbolt. It's about robot combat in the remains of a wrecked space colony, and they interact the poo poo out of their environment

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Srice posted:

Also besides IBO I think I have also reached a point in Aquarion Logos where I am genuinely liking it, so I'll have that to watch next season as well.

Logos just reached the point where it's clearly going to stop loving around and let stuff get real

That said it would've been amazing if erasing 90% of the everything in the world had somehow stuck and the rest of the show followed our heroes trying to save a world full of people that can barely recognize what their butts are let alone anything around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I wish there was a good model of the basic Guymelef design...they're really cool. :sigh: