Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That was a badass fish fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Why would anybody believe the shifty, baggy eyed ugly man who sows mistrust?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I was busy playing with kittens when y'all started tonight, and then I remembered that I hadn't yet watched Owarimonogatari, but now I'mma watch Horus!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Horus. It was sort of underwhelming to me, although I suppose it's more significant what came out of it than the actual film itself.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Huh, so they just... didn't animate this bit.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
These children are insufferable.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Always singing, and being happy, and wanting to play.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This snow mammoth is awesome.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

I finished Horus. It was sort of underwhelming to me, although I suppose it's more significant what came out of it than the actual film itself.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Sorry, I missed last night. I had some sort of cold/flu virus and animes were the last things on my mind.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I have work tomorrow, so I'm going to start watching around 11:00PM EST. As always, feel free to watch whenever you want!

Dororo

Osamu Tezuka created Dororo in order compete with Kamishibai; stories featuring goblins were very popular in 1969, and the fiercely competitive Tezuka decided to do one hell of a yokai story. Hyakkimaru's father sold his sons body to demons in order to gain control of all Japan; now Hyakkimaru must find and slay the 48 demons that hold his body. The manga has been adapted into an anime, a video game, and a live action movie. The anime is the first complete telling of the story; the manga was cancelled for being too dark for a shounen magazine. In a way that makes it the definitive Dororo, I think.

I think this series is really notable for featuring talents that would go on to influence the artform in the coming decades; Osamu Dezaki (Aim for the Ace, Space Adventure Cobra, Ashita no Joe, Dear Brother, basically name any influential and genre-defining anime from the 70s and 80s and he probably directed it), Noboru Ishiguro (Macross, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Space Battleship Yamato), Yoshiyuki Tomino (Gundam, Gainer, lots of mecha), Ryosuke Takahashi (VOTOMS, Dougram, lots of mecha), and Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Ninja Scroll, Cyber City Oedo) all worked on this series. Dezaki directed Episode 1, and Tomino directed Episodes 2 and 3, which we'll be watching.

The sound design and the music in this series are phenomenal and insanely haunting. Dororo also has one of my all time favorite OPs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbeKfC4ADFI Episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krc9g8tFB18 Episode 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1pY3P7vjFE Episode 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7UXFk_Sw5c Episode 4

This series is licensed, but not yet released, so if you enjoy it I urge you to buy it when Discotek releases it!!!

The Flying Phantom Ship
The Flying Phantom Ship is a film about a boy and his dog, and a spooky ship piloted by a skeleton captain. It was the first anime to be brought to Russia, and Hayao Miyazaki did the key animation for a major sequence in the film. It was also the basis of the 2007 anime The Skull Man. I picked it because it's one of my favorite animated films of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKiu6XUNlfA

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 9, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you only watch one thing this simul, you should make it The Flying Phantom Ship!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I will watch The Flying Phantom Ship.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've been watching Skull Man, so it seems very fitting

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Sabu and Ichi time! The art for the post-opening narration of ep 2 kicks rear end.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The backgrounds in general are beautiful so far.

e: when they exist

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 9, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dororo sounds super familiar, did someone make a PS2 game based on it or at least use the exact same story? It may or may not have also starred Gackt

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Dororo sounds super familiar, did someone make a PS2 game based on it or at least use the exact same story? It may or may not have also starred Gackt

Yes, the videogame Blood Will Tell is based off of Dororo.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That was a solid story told in an engaging way. I love the rippling water over animation effect. The show was obviously made on a shoestring budget, but they did cool, evocative stuff with it.

On to 3!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This feels one step removed from a radio drama.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Aww, they didn't do the water thing this time.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I wish I knew what that calligraphy scroll that got cut said.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
These were really cool, and I'm going to watch episode 7 as well, right now.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yes_Cantaloupe, I really liked how they did the photographs spliced into animation. I thought it made the demon mask look really intimidating in its context

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yes! And then it appeared on the kid. Creepy. It stood out in a really cool way. I like when Shaft does this kind of thing, and I like when this show does it, too.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

And the mask being on the kid parallels the scene where the kids are beating the dog

Such a good show

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Whoa, Ichi is shaken. That's new.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Our view is often through holes in things: rice paper walls and trees, that I recall. This probably means something.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

GorfZaplen posted:

That was a badass fish fight.

When the lady said they needed to fight with their heads I thought there was going to be some trickery, but nope, hero just takes care of things.

I liked Horus, but something felt kind of off about it. Like the pacing felt weird? It was mostly in the beginning.

By the way, if we ever run another old anime fest we really need to watch some Gegege no Kitaro.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Forbidden ice? There's likely an interesting historical anecdote there.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Ichi having to take the bandage off to fight was contrived, but him doing it was still touching. That final slash scene was super neat. I think it was by far the most dynamic bit in the show, or at least in these three episodes.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Sabu and Ichi should kiss.

This is a really neat show. I liked it significantly more than Horus.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Sabu and Ichi should kiss.

This is a really neat show. I liked it significantly more than Horus.

It's weird because it reminds me less of anime and more of stuff like Kurasawa films with the shots and imagery the show uses and Bunraku puppetry with how the characters move and express themselves

This old antiquated show is much more original and stylish than like 80% of shows out today

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

It's weird because it reminds me less of anime and more of stuff like Kurasawa films with the shots and imagery the show uses and Bunraku puppetry with how the characters move and express themselves

This old antiquated show is much more original and stylish than like 80% of shows out today

:yeah:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

So cool.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I really like the scene where Ichi is screaming and begging the random slasher not to make him kill her. I think a modern show would be too worried about looking cool to do something like that.

I'm gushing about this show

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Gonna give Sabu and Dororo a shot.

What's the name of the sub group that did Dororo? Does it have a full release somewhere? I'm happy to buy the Discotek DVDs when they eventually come out but I'll be a bit disappointed if I can only watch the first few episodes.

Reds fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 9, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Reds posted:

Gonna give Sabu and Dororo a shot.

What's the name of the sub group that did Dororo? Does it have a full release somewhere? I'm happy to buy the Discotek DVDs when they eventually come out but I'll be a bit disappointed if I can only watch the first few episodes.

I linked the episodes on YouTube in the post, they only subbed the first five episodes before it was taken up by AnimeSols, and when they went defunct it was picked up by Discotek. You'll have to wait, I'm afraid.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

GorfZaplen posted:

I linked the episodes on YouTube in the post, they only subbed the first five episodes before it was taken up by AnimeSols, and when they went defunct it was picked up by Discotek. You'll have to wait, I'm afraid.

drat. Hopefully I'll remember the show when Discotek eventually puts it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

i finally watched sabu and ichi, and lol

• Locked thread