Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jukeboxblues posted:

Um, obviously they are evil if they have the sweet loot that I want??? You lot are nothing more than Divine Justice Fighters. I bet if my 'god' was telling me this dude was evil it would be okay, huh? :rolleyes:

Uh yes? Doy? Where do you think the word "good" even comes from? It's etymologically rooted in the word 'God" so yes, if God says it's okay, then something is by definition okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Luvcow posted:

"Oh billy I'm so sorry your mom died! Hey maybe if you got off your rear end and chose a lucrative path like wizard or warrior instead of farmhand you'd be able to bring her back but I guess you didn't really love her enough to do that."

if everyones a loving wizard or a warrior whos gonna protect us from the undead?? imo its shameful that we cant provide simple benefits like free temple resurrections to our veteran paladins. these are ppl who keep us safe and it sickens me that you take it for granted

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

thank you for your service applewhite

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
just to be clear here I don't need charm spells to get laid like that douche wizard the great Cosby

way to make us all look bad bill

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

TEAYCHES posted:

if everyones a loving wizard or a warrior whos gonna protect us from the undead?? imo its shameful that we cant provide simple benefits like free temple resurrections to our veteran paladins. these are ppl who keep us safe and it sickens me that you take it for granted

lol if they hadn't tithed away their gold they'd be fine

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

By that logic maybe you should just kill yourself right now.

i'm waiting for a good deal of phylacteries

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Uh yes? Doy? Where do you think the word "good" even comes from? It's etymologically rooted in the word 'God" so yes, if God says it's okay, then something is by definition okay.

Whose to say that your god isn't being tricked by another god? You know there are a heap of trickster gods out there that have fooled a heap of gods into doing really dumb poo poo like RELEASING A COLOSSUS ON A TOWN that did nothing wrong! You're nothing more than a fleshy automaton doing what you're told when you're told.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
just curious how you guys would answer the age old gently caress, marry, kill question with a dwarf, a Halfling and a gnome...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TEAYCHES posted:

thank you for your service applewhite

It is my honor and duty :patriot:

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Seriously though, we need to talk about ethics in the spellbook industry.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Luvcow posted:

just curious how you guys would answer the age old gently caress, marry, kill question with a dwarf, a Halfling and a gnome...

this is sick i would have expected this on drew curtis' larp.com but never here

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

And how do you know you are speaking to your god and not Asmodeus the god of trickery, deceit and lies?

Seriously man, one of these days your god is gonna say it's ok to kill some arch bishop, because he's corrupt, you're gonna do it and we'll all have to deal with your Death Knight rear end.

Just be a prissy fighter FFS

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

You know I'm not magiphobic or anything but ever since the new wizard bar opened in town there are always used wands littering the local park. One of my kids found one and I had to explain what it was, I was mortified!

The so called moderate wizards really should do more to condemn the actions of these bad wizards.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Luvcow posted:

i'd gently caress all of them, i learned polymorph other for a reason :a2m:

VendaGoat posted:

And how do you know you are speaking to your god and not Asmodeus the god of trickery, deceit and lies?

Asmodeus isn't a god, jeez :rolleyes:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jukeboxblues posted:

Whose to say that your god isn't being tricked by another god? You know there are a heap of trickster gods out there that have fooled a heap of gods into doing really dumb poo poo like RELEASING A COLOSSUS ON A TOWN that did nothing wrong! You're nothing more than a fleshy automaton doing what you're told when you're told.

No, like most people, you're confusing us with Lawful Neutral. The Good part of Lawful Good means we have to rely on our own moral judgment. It's true we get our inspiration from the divine, but most divine beings communicate on a level beyond mortal understanding, so we must rely on our own moral character to fill in the gaps.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Look all you wizards.. why did you make this choice to be such a backwards class. It's an abomination against, creation fire wind and lightning wasn't meant to be controlled by mortals. Itd s thing of the gods lets keep it that way. You realize that when you die you will all go to the demonic realm not the good realm.

You know why all these dragons and undead have been unleashes on donkors keep? Because of the wizards it's the gods trying to end their lives and bring them down. Instead the council of donkors keep continues to let wizards just sit there in their robes like normal classes. This is why the Dwarven towers fell, this is why the ogre army chants "death to donkors" outside our walls.

I won't rest until every "mage" (sorry I know it's not pc but screw pc) is impaled with their wands and staves.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 21, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

No, like most people, you're confusing us with Lawful Neutral. The Good part of Lawful Good means we have to rely on our own moral judgment. It's true we get our inspiration from the divine, but most divine beings communicate on a level beyond mortal understanding, so we must rely on our own moral character to fill in the gaps.

Well, if they communicate on a level beyond mortal understanding and you are in fact mortal, then you can not understand them

Mystara dude, you sound like Halaster Blackcloak! Using your own "morals" to justify whatever actions you commit. This is pure and simple tautology.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Asmodeus isn't a god, jeez :rolleyes:

I tell you what apprentice bitch boy. Shine my wand up, then we'll go see him, on the ninth layer of Hell and you can tell him that yourself.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

Just be a prissy fighter FFS

Man gently caress you. Again, just because I put all my skill points into fighting abilities and only occasionally experiment with spellcasting doesn't make my any less of a paladin than someone who devotes equal time to both divine magic and fighting, or a paladin who uses magic almost exclusively and carries his warhammer just in case.
I'm a paladin with a tank specialty but I'm still a paladin.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Look all you wizards.. why did you make this choice to be such a backwards class. It's an abomination against, creation fire wind and lightning wasn't meant to be controlled by mortals. Itd s thing of the gods lets keep it that way. You realize that when you die you will all go to the demonic realm not the good realm.

You know why all these dragons and undead have been unleashes on donkors keep? Because of the wizards it's the gods trying to end their lives and bring them down. Instead the council of donkors keep continues to let wizards just sit there in their robes like normal classes. This is why the Dwarven towers fell, this is why the ogre army chants "death to donkors" outside our walls.

I won't rest until every "mage" (sorry I know it's not pc but screw pc) is impaled with their wands and staves.

people dont choose to have an affinity for magic, they are born that way. look im not saying they deserve equal cross-classing rights or anything, im not chaotic, but bigots like you are why wizard kids have such a high suicide rate

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

You know I'm not magiphobic or anything but ever since the new wizard bar opened in town there are always used wands littering the local park. One of my kids found one and I had to explain what it was, I was mortified!

The so called moderate wizards really should do more to condemn the actions of these bad wizards.

Maybe you should educate your children about the world they live in you god damned farmers boy. :rolleyes:

Applewhite posted:

Oh yeah, I guess your moral character is better than mine huh? Pfft, I am surprised I don't have to cast levitate for you to be able to hear me from that high horse you got there. Probably issued by the church too, knowing you lot. :rolleyes:

tater_salad posted:

Talk about rolling low on your tolerance check! I lack the speechcraft to even warrant this with a response. PS my speechcraft is pretty drat high (did a quiz on the street and the man was very impressed with me. It only cost 20 gold!!).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TEAYCHES posted:

people dont choose to have an affinity for magic, they are born that way. look im not saying they deserve equal cross-classing rights or anything, im not chaotic, but bigots like you are why wizard kids have such a high suicide rate

I suppose the high suicide rate has nothing to do with communing with the demons of madness or anything :rolleyes:
look I'm not saying being magic is inherently immoral. Obviously I'm a paladin myself, but doesn't anybody stop and think that maybe magic culture might be at least partially responsible for the severe emotional and psychological problems that plague the magical community? There is such a thing as evil magic and I have to deal with it every day. Magic parents who don't teach their children to use light magic exclusively run the risk of inviting unholy entities into their souls.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
So if Applewhite the Paladin of Tautology doesn't approve of it, it's inherently evil? :rolleyes:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

its pretty clear that applewhite just isnt comfortable with his own magical side. this is the kind of attitude where he will condemn other people for it but you know hes in the latrines secretly casting grease on his buddys hole

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I suppose the high suicide rate has nothing to do with communing with the demons of madness or anything :rolleyes:
look I'm not saying being magic is inherently immoral. Obviously I'm a paladin myself, but doesn't anybody stop and think that maybe magic culture might be at least partially responsible for the severe emotional and psychological problems that plague the magical community? There is such a thing as evil magic and I have to deal with it every day. Magic parents who don't teach their children to use light magic exclusively run the risk of inviting unholy entities into their souls.

Wow. This is exactly why people don't want to include Paladins in their groups. Yes, there are some groups out there that use magic badly, but compared to the amount of people that use it for non-evil purposes its such a small percentage. Maybe the suicide rates are so high because of bullies like you.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Magic is between a man and a woman. Redefining it so it's between a man and an elemental force is just crazy. It's NPC gone mad.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

So if Applewhite the Paladin of Tautology doesn't approve of it, it's inherently evil? :rolleyes:

I don't make the rules, I just obey and enforce them. Whether your actions are good or evil is a judgment that awaits you on a higher plane.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

its pretty clear that applewhite just isnt comfortable with his own magical side. this is the kind of attitude where he will condemn other people for it but you know hes in the latrines secretly casting grease on his buddys hole

And this is the man we are trusting with smiting 'evil'.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

I don't make the rules, I just obey and enforce them. Whether your actions are good or evil is a judgment that awaits you on a higher plane.

Except you are actively in here judging people and attempting to draw hard lines on magic uses. You're moving the goal posts.

TEAYCHES posted:

I think you should go back to doing this Applewhite.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TEAYCHES posted:

I'm very comfortable with my magical side and I use exactly as much magic as I want to, thx.

Jukeboxblues posted:

Wow. This is exactly why people don't want to include Paladins in their groups. Yes, there are some groups out there that use magic badly, but compared to the amount of people that use it for non-evil purposes its such a small percentage. Maybe the suicide rates are so high because of bullies like you.

Every well balanced party contains at least one magic user=WCDM are bullied

People don't want to include paladins in their groups=Paladins must be the real bullies

Hurr durr Wizard logic :derp:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

I'm very comfortable with my magical side and I use exactly as much magic as I want to, thx.

your god gives you those spells for a reason, if you dont cast them its like spitting in his eye every day

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls
Just chiming in to share my own experience as coming out as a wizard...

When I was young I always thought I was kind of different from the other kids. When I played with my friends I never really enjoyed being a fighter or a rogue and thought there was something wrong with me. One day while I was picking radishes in my parents garden I saw a kindly old man throwing arcs of blue lightning at a group of nearby children and I was completely frozen in awe. I asked him what he was doing and he agreed to take me to his tower and teach me his secrets.

After several weeks of thrusting his throbbing wisdom into my tender young mind I had learned so much about wizardry and even knew a few spells. I was so excited I immediately ran home to show my father what I had learned. When I entered the farm house I found him drunk in front of the fireplace. He began screaming at me about where I had been, and I told him that I had seen a Wizard and was his new apprentice. He grew even angrier and began beating me, saying that no son of his would be a wizard, and what would my mother think? Unfortunately, I had no way of asking her since she had died in a Owlbear attack many years before I had been born. I barely slept that night in fear of what my father would do to me when he sobered up and I could not possibly imagine what would happen next.

I was awakened when my door was kicked down and I was torn from my bed by two giant fighters. I kicked and I screamed but they threw me into the back of a worn down cart with several other scared looking children. I began to cry out and I was hit in the head with a hilt of a sword and blacked out. Several hours later I came to when we reached our destination. I found out that we had been taken to a Fighter Training Camp called "Walk Away from Wizardry". Everyone here was to have their interest in magic beaten out of them.

It was a long summer at camp. Every day we were to run a dungeon with only a sword - If anyone dared to throw a magic missile or a lightning bolt they were beaten mercilessly and thrown in a cell for a few hours. By the end of it, I was an adept fighter and no longer had any longing to play with spellcasting like I had in my youth.

I've never really spoken to my friends about my past dealing with wizardry because it's a tough subject for me. I am ashamed of what I used to be and afraid of what they would think.
I took the time to tell my story here, because I am urging OP to get help with his problem. Magic classes are not natural and only lead to evil unless they are strictly controlled. I flirted with magic once, and I now know where that path would have taken me... Brewing orgies, mage bars, herb fueled casting sessions through all hours of the night... It's... disgusting!

OP, please seek out help to overcome your problem. Being a wizard is not something you should embrace. Although it was hard at the time, I appreciate what my father and the Walk Away from Wizardry organization have done for me. I am now a very successful and respected paladin and what little magic I know is only for healing and helping people.

I hope my story has been an inspiration for you to find your true self and not be swept up in magic fads.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

your god gives you those spells for a reason, if you dont cast them its like spitting in his eye every day

God gave me both spells and physical strength and I use both in the way that I feel best serves His divine will. Physical strength is what I'm most familiar with and what I wield most effectively. I can still cast Turn Undead with the best of them when the situation gets tight.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Applewhite posted:

This guy gets it. The magic community should get sent to an island and they can all wizard and get the plague (ever notice it's the potion users and magic practitioners that have it the most) because of their pissing off the gods and live on that island of damnation.

Why do you think the mage stronghold was broken down my the palidins with horns of good.. breaking down the walls and crumbling the city. The gods willed it because magic practitioners are all going to end up evil.

Plus I really despise wizards practicing in public I can't take my kids to the gallows or stocks to throw tomatoes and ridicule without them being traumatized and asking me questions That I don't want them asking at such a young age.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Same with casting anything really. Magic. Stones. Seed. All the same.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The Ghoul posted:

When I was young I always thought I was kind of different from the other kids. When I played with my friends I never really enjoyed being a fighter or a rogue and thought there was something wrong with me. One day while I was picking radishes in my parents garden I saw a kindly old man throwing arcs of blue lightning at a group of nearby children and I was completely frozen in awe. I asked him what he was doing and he agreed to take me to his tower and teach me his secrets.

After several weeks of thrusting his throbbing wisdom into my tender young mind I had learned so much about wizardry and even knew a few spells. I was so excited I immediately ran home to show my father what I had learned. When I entered the farm house I found him drunk in front of the fireplace. He began screaming at me about where I had been, and I told him that I had seen a Wizard and was his new apprentice. He grew even angrier and began beating me, saying that no son of his would be a wizard, and what would my mother think? Unfortunately, I had no way of asking her since she had died in a Owlbear attack many years before I had been born. I barely slept that night in fear of what my father would do to me when he sobered up and I could not possibly imagine what would happen next.

I was awakened when my door was kicked down and I was torn from my bed by two giant fighters. I kicked and I screamed but they threw me into the back of a worn down cart with several other scared looking children. I began to cry out and I was hit in the head with a hilt of a sword and blacked out. Several hours later I came to when we reached our destination. I found out that we had been taken to a Fighter Training Camp called "Walk Away from Wizardry". Everyone here was to have their interest in magic beaten out of them.

It was a long summer at camp. Every day we were to run a dungeon with only a sword - If anyone dared to throw a magic missile or a lightning bolt they were beaten mercilessly and thrown in a cell for a few hours. By the end of it, I was an adept fighter and no longer had any longing to play with spellcasting like I had in my youth.

I've never really spoken to my friends about my past dealing with wizardry because it's a tough subject for me. I am ashamed of what I used to be and afraid of what they would think.
I took the time to tell my story here, because I am urging OP to get help with his problem. Magic classes are not natural and only lead to evil unless they are strictly controlled. I flirted with magic once, and I now know where that path would have taken me... Brewing orgies, mage bars, herb fueled casting sessions through all hours of the night... It's... disgusting!

OP, please seek out help to overcome your problem. Being a wizard is not something you should embrace. Although it was hard at the time, I appreciate what my father and the Walk Away from Wizardry organization have done for me. I am now a very successful and respected paladin and what little magic I know is only for healing and helping people.

I hope my story has been an inspiration for you to find your true self and not be swept up in magic fads.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Ghoul posted:

lol how much you wanna bet this guy has a long, flowing beard and a twinkle in his eye. I dunno what it is but "cured" wizards always look even more wizardly than open wizards.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Applewhite posted:

Every well balanced party contains at least one magic user=WCDM are bullied

People don't want to include paladins in their groups=Paladins must be the real bullies

Hurr durr Wizard logic :derp:

after I was denied the opportunity to kill a roomful of baby orcs by the paladin in our group I refuse to work with paladins ever again.

no telling what those orcs grew up to be

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

Applewhite posted:

lol how much you wanna bet this guy has a long, flowing beard and a twinkle in his eye. I dunno what it is but "cured" wizards always look even more wizardly than open wizards.

I would expect more support from a fellow paladin. I do not have a flowing beard and I try very hard to not have myself associated with magic culture.
Perhaps the other users in this thread are right, while I do not think that paladins in general are bullies, maybe it is you, Applewhite, who are the bully.

We may not have to like the company of Wizards, Mages and Clerics, but it is not our place to judge and harass them for the decisions they make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Ghoul posted:

I would expect more support from a fellow paladin. I do not have a flowing beard and I try very hard to not have myself associated with magic culture.
Perhaps the other users in this thread are right, while I do not think that paladins in general are bullies, maybe it is you, Applewhite, who are the bully.

We may not have to like the company of Wizards, Mages and Clerics, but it is not our place to judge and harass them for the decisions they make.

I missed the part where you said you were a paladin. I thought you'd turned away from all magic forever, and the people who do that (or claim they've done that) are only fooling themselves. Self-hating wizards are worse than bigoted fighters, imo.

• Locked thread