Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

kyoani tried something new with how characters look, which mostly worked but like vc10 says the hands and feet are abnormally small

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

one thing I always liked about kyoani anims prior to K-on was how good the eyes looked, all shiny and poo poo

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

^ that I did notice

Namtab posted:

kyoani tried something new with how characters look, which mostly worked but like vc10 says the hands and feet are abnormally small

lol never woulda noticed

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've always thought the eyes were the weakest part of haruhi's art. they could look pasted on at times

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zas posted:

huh what do you mean specifically by art? like the BGs and environments? I feel like the worst thing you can say about k-on S1 aesthetically is that it's not their most imaginative season of TV, but I remember everything looking pretty slick, and as mentioned the character animation in particular is really good

K-On s01 definitely has a noticeably lower budget than s02, to the point where I found s02 looked really weird getting into it immediately after watching s01. It's not exactly what I'd call bad, though, just noticeably cheap.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

they'll probably talk about the new show at KYOANCON, on that note here's the promo art for it

rumor i heard is that they're just taking the setting and writing their own thing based on it? dunno if there's any truth in that

someone post the amazon japan review of this light novel this show is based on where the guy gave it 3 out of 5 stars because one of the girls was described as having pubic hair during a sex scene

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

^lol

Davincie posted:

i've always thought the eyes were the weakest part of haruhi's art. they could look pasted on at times

I definitely get what you're saying, I remember shots like that, but I also remember times when the eyes seemed amazingly expressive, so I dunno

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

they'll probably talk about the new show at KYOANCON, on that note here's the promo art for it

rumor i heard is that they're just taking the setting and writing their own thing based on it? dunno if there's any truth in that

I want to go to KyoAni Con

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Imagine how good a KyoAni sex scene would look...good god almighty

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i was going to say kyoan would never do a sex scene, but beyond the boundary made it a lot more likely with all that nudity

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

my dumb K-On nitpick is that for all the amazing work Kyoani puts into the visual environment, the aural environment felt half assed sometimes. I woulda liked the whole thing more if they made the acoustics a little more real, and I think it woulda added something legit to the show's development (at least on an unconscious level) if the girls sounded more like an actual group slowly learning and gelling together in an actual room, instead of something assembled in a studio with click tracks and line-in or close mic'd instruments. but I realize how off point that is (and, to a certain extent, how commercially unrealistic it would be to expect)

and, you know, they do some of that anyway. just not enough for my taste.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, the film was an immediately noticeable step up in terms of sound design/audio fidelity.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

someone post the amazon japan review of this light novel this show is based on where the guy gave it 3 out of 5 stars because one of the girls was described as having pubic hair during a sex scene

lmao

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Other thoughts:
Okay, let's get this out of the way - does the show ever actually establish that the Kyon in this show is the same Kyon from Melancholy, and that he made the opposite choice during the events of Disappearance?

There's nothing explicit. Maybe it's explained in the manga, but so far as I know this is another thing you just have to roll with. The way I thought of it was, assume Kyon had the chance to press the button, didn't take it, and as a result the world is once more remade in Nagaturkey's image from the beginning instead of December 16th and thus Kyon has no memory of the old world.

quote:

Speaking of comedy - I certainly wasn't expecting Yuki-chan to feel at all like Disappearance, but the difference was still immediately striking. It's upbeat and goofy in all the ways that Disappearance was downbeat and introspective, and though it advertises otherwise its Yuki certainly doesn't feel quite like what we saw of Alternate Yuki in disappearance - she's sillier and talkier and less melancholy, and while she could certainly win me over (and it's not like we actually saw THAT much of Alternate Yuki), she does feel like a different character from the outset.

Well, I'm not sure if it's clear from episode 1--actually I'm pretty sure it's not--but Kyon has already gotten her a little out of her shell. They'll explain later.

quote:

That said, most of what I just mentioned is probably for the best - Yuki-chan has zero ambitions of going anywhere Melancholy or Disappearance went, so establishing a different tone as hard and as early as possible was kind of necessary to ward off comparisons it had little ability and less ambition of winning, and I can't really begrudge it that. poo poo, I liked shows like Gundam Wing and Coffin Princess Chaika, I'm not going to slam a show just because it doesn't set out to give my Literary Critique muscles a daily workout like Melancholy/Disappearance did.

I think a lot of people hated it because it wasn't Season 3. But it was okay. Nice to see a non-murderous Asakura and it did legitimately have some funny moments.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

my dumb K-On nitpick is that for all the amazing work Kyoani puts into the visual environment, the aural environment felt half assed sometimes. I woulda liked the whole thing more if they made the acoustics a little more real, and I think it woulda added something legit to the show's development (at least on an unconscious level) if the girls sounded more like an actual group slowly learning and gelling together in an actual room, instead of something assembled in a studio with click tracks and line-in or close mic'd instruments. but I realize how off point that is (and, to a certain extent, how commercially unrealistic it would be to expect)

and, you know, they do some of that anyway. just not enough for my taste.

Agree. I wish everybody in the K-On band was worse at their instruments, or we ever saw episodes where they sounded bad. Maybe there were but I watched it 4 years ago and I forget.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

In Training posted:

Agree. I wish everybody in the K-On band was worse at their instruments, or we ever saw episodes where they sounded bad. Maybe there were but I watched it 4 years ago and I forget.

I watched all of K-On this summer and they sounded just as professionally-produced in s01 as they do in s02 or the film. The only change they ever undergo musically is adding a second guitar.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

I mean, they give the badness some lip service but it's really fake, I imagine even for people who don't play instruments.

and anyway beyond the level of individual talent, a band practicing and getting tighter is such an obvious metaphor for what the show's about, which they're clearly aware of, it seems like a real missed opportunity to me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

actually there is a change, over time the actual voice actresses start playing the easier songs rather than a studio band

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

in the live k-on concerts the voice actresses played the instruments on some songs and sang them all

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The anim kinda implies that the girls aren't actually as good as we, the audience, are hearing them. You could say that the in-universe explanation is that we're hearing the idealised version of the songs.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Besides, K-on was never about the music

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Namtab posted:

:stonklol:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Namtab posted:

The anim kinda implies that the girls aren't actually as good as we, the audience, are hearing them. You could say that the in-universe explanation is that we're hearing the idealised version of the songs.

I understand it's part of the game, with anime having an idealized environment. but to me this goes with your second point - it's not about the music, so the music SHOULDNT be idealized - what it's about is the development of the group's relationship, and that can be reflected in the growth of the group musically - as they go from being loose and awkward to tight and comfortable with each other.

so to me, it's the growth of the relationship that should be idealized, and the development of their musical abilities as a group should serve that aspect of the story....

but really it's a small thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh, to anybody who likes K-On and missed Prefuse's movie thread, Linda Linda Linda is a really great movie that was an inspiration for K-On

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Namtab posted:

it was about the cake

then again, we could just be seeing the idealized version of the cakes, maybe the cakes weren't really that good

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

Oh, to anybody who likes K-On and missed Prefuse's movie thread, Linda Linda Linda is a really great movie that was an inspiration for K-On

yeah terrific film

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gomen for rocking your world

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cronodoculous posted:

it was about the cake

then again, we could just be seeing the idealized version of the cakes, maybe the cakes weren't really that good

This is too hosed up to even consider.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

its also a huge influence on live alive and i will continue to bring this up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eobu9dkYyk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alright time for the most important K-On! question: did Mugi and Sawako bang when Mugi went to her house to get an AC unit.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In Training posted:

Alright time for the most important K-On! question: did Mugi and Sawako bang when Mugi went to her house to get an AC unit.

no

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cronodoculous posted:

it was about the cake

i'm glad to say, japanese cakes do look that good irl

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mugi is rich and her family gets given the good cakes, more than they can possibly eat. this is canon

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

there arent any gifs on thsi page so here are two of my favorites from the haruhi simul

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

poor mikuru

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 23, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In retrospect they could have spent more time on the bowling, IMO.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

there arent any gifs on thsi page so here are two of my favorites from the haruhi simul

Lol

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

they even animated the camera monitor.. wow..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yuki in the shadows clutching a star :(

• Locked thread