Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Beaker is a pickle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVw0i5Rd_Is

And here is the season trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJkusicBa4

Apparently this is going to be a more "adult" Muppets. If we consider the original Muppets and the current idiotic state of US parenting, this will probably be on par with Barney.

quote:

One Million Moms Boycotting The Muppets
http://www.slashfilm.com/one-million-moms-boycotting-the-muppets/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I thought it was funny, and my 18 month old son liked the colors moving around on the screen, so win win, I guess.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You've seen the first episode already?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, Citytv showed it today.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The impression I've gotten from the previews I've seen and articles I've read is that it's like The Office, but with Muppets. Is this accurate?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
It was an okay pilot, Statler & Waldorf are still my favourites. Fozzie's subplot wasn't great, but Fozzie.

Will Walter be on the cast?

Still, I'll watch this for the nostalgia. As a kid I'd wake up at 5am to watch old repeats on the weekend.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its weird how much better the Comic-con trailer was compared to tonight's pilot episode.

It even used Elizabeth Banks better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2B5d-8H588&t=150s

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Eh, it was okay. The "adult" humour comes across as them trying too hard, and I don't think it fits, it's not like they're ever going to cross any lines so they just sound like lame dad jokes. It looks great, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It doesn't really "feel" like the Muppets. It's them, but the tone is totally wrong. I actually got the sense that the show could be cancelled relatively quickly. Hope things improve because this is not what people are looking for from a muppet show.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
I don't know, I liked it. Gave me a bit of a 30 Rock vibe. Miss Piggy is Jenna, Kermit is Liz, etc etc. I'm OK with that.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

It is like Greg the Bunny and The Office (first season) mashed together.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

It's 30 Rock + puppets - Tina Fey.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its like The Larry Sanders Show, but not funny and starring the Muppets.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Oh dear....

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

you know who else is attracted to pigs

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

david cameron

david cameron is attracted to pigs

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

It's 30 Rock + puppets - Tina Fey.

No it's the office. This is miserable. I'm completely depressed. I didn't know this was going to happen and now I'm watching it happen.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Krinkle posted:

No it's the office. This is miserable. I'm completely depressed. I didn't know this was going to happen and now I'm watching it happen.

You hear that sound? That's Jim Henson spinning in his grave.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Somehow it's not as bad when it's just a terrible movie every few years I can ignore. Janet's wrong voice just then clued me into janet's voice actor/puppeteer dying in '92. RIP Janet.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That.... just didn't feel like the Muppets.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I enjoyed the show, hope it does well but it probably won't because that's my luck.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
I liked it. Like others said, A 30 Rock/Office hybrid but with Muppets. Somehow I'm okay with that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The determined Scooter jumping back into the lot tour won me over.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm a simple man, but the Imagine Dragons joke from Janice made me laugh.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Pilot was super low key but I appreciate that. It would have been worse if they tried for over the top funny. It has a chance to grow into something funny. The break up had real pathos to it too, I actually felt for these little puppets.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

X-O posted:

I'm a simple man, but the Imagine Dragons joke from Janice made me laugh.

Yeah me too. Like, it was a cheesy joke but for whatever reason it landed and I laughed. I kinda liked the episode. Though I was real surprised they did Guess Who's Coming To Dinner but with a Muppet. That was way more "adult" than I was expecting.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
Liked the first episode overall, though I do think a few of the adult jokes felt like they were trying too hard, i.e Fozzy's "passionate bear" line. I get that the show is supposed to be about the real lives of the Muppets, but it felt weird that half the dialogue was about them boning. Lots of solid gags in there though, so I'm really hoping this catches on and we can see it grow into something awesome.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It wasn't as good as the "pilot" it was remaking, which is unfortunate. The situation wasn't well-established and they counted on character familiarity to carry it, but it was... it felt a little undercooked.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
The pilot wasn't too bad, but man, Kermit is such a downer in this, it's kind of depressing (usually I remember him being so optimistic)

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

Jonny_Rocket posted:

The pilot wasn't too bad, but man, Kermit is such a downer in this, it's kind of depressing (usually I remember him being so optimistic)

I don't know, maybe in the movies, but he's kind of a downer in The Muppet Show too. He's always the one freaked out by everything and who isn't amused by any of the Muppets shenanigans because he's just trying to put on a show. It was slightly accentuated here because Kermit was dealing with the Piggy breakup, but I don't think it was completely out of character.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
This was a good pilot, and I look forward to more.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was disappointed it wasn't a new Muppets variety show also, but I found myself chuckling through the entire thing. I also see this being cancelled soon, and forgetting about it for a few years until I see it on Netflix and go "Huh, that's right, they did try a 30-Rock-style Muppets show years ago, that wasn't just a fever dream."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I'm gonna take a pass.

Sorry, Kermit.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Muppets - You hear that sound? That's Jim Henson spinning in his grave.

New thread title?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Waltzing Along posted:

New thread title?

Nope, because it was good :colbert:

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It was a pretty spot-on The Muppet Show reboot for 2015, if you ask me. Keep in mind, I always saw the Muppets' appeal as stupid jokes made palatable by lovable characters.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Maybe I shouldn't watch the pilot, because you can count how many of those were actually good on one hand. But the NY Times review said that it felt like the kind of "adult show" that a kid would come up with and that Kermit is the undeniable weak point, and people are saying the same thing here.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I don't know about this. I think I may have expected too much. It gives off a 30 Rock vibe but without the joke-a-minute ratio and the facial reactions. They can improve on one of those though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This is the Muppets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpanPmIfBs4

Whatever ABC has come up with is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I was disappointed it wasn't a new Muppets variety show also, but I found myself chuckling through the entire thing. I also see this being cancelled soon, and forgetting about it for a few years until I see it on Netflix and go "Huh, that's right, they did try a 30-Rock-style Muppets show years ago, that wasn't just a fever dream."

I don't know if prime-time variety shows can really work in TYOOL 2015. (Exhibit A: Best Time Ever, which isn't.) I thought this one was a little too heavy -- I do not need to see Kermit having a mid-life crisis, thanks -- but there's time to get into a better groove. I did laugh at Sam the Eagle objecting to "crotchety," "twaddle," and "gesticulate."

• Locked thread